PDA

View Full Version : Mcdoweel for last two CCWS races

Pages : [1] 2

coolhand
10-11-05, 07:07 PM
http://www.mmcdowell.com/home.htm :thumbup:

so this leaves RHR to where?

possibly a new tema entry for the end of the season?

Dr. Corkski
10-11-05, 07:13 PM
so this leaves RHR to where?F1. :gomer:

theunions
10-12-05, 02:24 PM
Details???

Pop-Tart's site doesn't even have anything beyond that banner graphic.

And now, as of this morning, said banner graphic is gone...?

Wally
10-12-05, 03:11 PM
Oops....

trauma1
10-12-05, 03:28 PM
sounds like finlay is going to run the car out of rocketsports, i really highly doubt that RHR is getting benched for the last 2 races, would make no sense at all.

coolhand
10-12-05, 09:17 PM
this is part of the rumor that finley is buying into Rocketsports

Rocketdoc
10-13-05, 03:44 AM

Michael called my son last week and said thet he will be running the last two Champ Car races. He calls him after each race. They're buddies.

extramundane
10-13-05, 11:52 AM

I don't doubt Finlay could, but I was rather under the impression they were going after an additional DP (or possibly even already had one they just need to fund).

theunions
10-13-05, 05:09 PM
I don't doubt Finlay could, but I was rather under the impression they were going after an additional DP (or possibly even already had one they just need to fund).

Rob has had a second Riley DP chassis, in team colors but no sponsorship decals, since the Rolex 24 - he just wasn't going to run it in the interim without additional funding.

extramundane
10-13-05, 05:19 PM
Rob has had a second Riley DP chassis, in team colors but no sponsorship decals, since the Rolex 24 - he just wasn't going to run it in the interim without additional funding.

I'd say, then, that if he's looking for $$$ to run a DP he already has, buying permanently into a CCWS team isn't terribly likely.

RHR_Fan
10-14-05, 03:08 PM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9733

~Nicole

KLang
10-14-05, 03:27 PM
With the #31 Rocketsports Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone out of contention for the Vanderbilt Cup, Rocketsports Racing offered American rising star, Michael McDowell, an opportunity to get behind the wheel of a Champ Car. In preparation for the 2006 season, the team will use the two remaining Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford events in Australia and Mexico City to evaluate McDowell's talents for a permanent seat to run for Champ Cars Rookie-of-the-Year title starting at Long Beach in April.

I wonder what is up with RHR now?

theunions
10-14-05, 03:54 PM
Finlay's version of the press release:

EXTREME OPPORTUNITY

Finlay Motorsports driver Michael McDowell will race both a Daytona Prototype and a Champ Car in the final three races of the 2005 season

Charlotte, NC (Oct. 14, 2005) Finlay Motorsports, in association with Rocketsports Racing, today announced that Michael McDowell will drive #31 Rocketsports Ford-Cosworth Bridgestone Lola in the final two rounds of the 2005 Champ Car season the Lexmark Indy 300 on October 23, and the Gran Primo de Mexico on November 6.

McDowell will also continue as co-driver, with Champ Car veteran Memo Gidley, of the Finlay Motorsports #19 Air Force Reserve/Make-A-Wish Foundation/Commercial Defeasance Dinan-powered Riley Daytona Prototype in the final race of the 2005 Grand American Rolex Season, the Mexico City 250 on November 5.

In racing both sports cars and open-wheel cars during the same season, McDowell, 20, from Phoenix, Arizona, will be joining the ranks of such multi-talented legends as Mario Andretti, Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt. In racing both during the same weekend at the same track, he may well be unique; top motorsports historians cannot recall a similar "double" on the same weekend.

"This is an extreme opportunity that goes well beyond any racing driver's wildest dream, and for that I'd like to thank the men who made it possible, Rob Finlay and Paul Gentilozzi," says McDowell. "I also owe thanks to my Finlay Motorsports co-driver Memo Gidley, the fittest, fastest driver I know for setting a standard of personal and professional excellence that gave me the strength to believe I could do this. And thanks also to Finlay Motorsports team manager and driver coach Steve Cameron, and engineer Rick Cameron for helping make me into a driver that can be an asset to two top teams in two top series. I'll do my very best to make sure that everyone involved agrees this was a good idea."

McDowell, a karting champion who was the Star Formula Mazda Rookie of the year in 2003, won the Mazda championship with seven victories and eight pole positions in 2004. He moved up to the Grand Am Rolex Series Daytona Prototype class in 2004, and became the youngest driver ever to finish on the podium at a Rolex Series event when he and Gidley finished 2nd in the Porsche 250 Presented by Bradley Arant at Barber Motorsports Park on July 31st. The duo of McDowell and Memo Gidley (who also drove two races for the Rocketsports Champ Car team in 2004), has produced one podium, four top-4, six top-6 and ten top-10 finishes so far in 2005.

The Finlay Motorsports team, in its first year of Rolex Series competition, is currently 6th in the championship. "I consider Michael McDowell to be the finest young American driving talent racing in North America today," says team owner Rob Finlay. "He's just 20 years old, he's already won a championship in a highly competitive open-wheel series, and he has a bright career ahead of him. His performances this season in the Finlay Motorsports Rolex Series Daytona Prototype against some of the best and most experienced drivers from around the world demonstrate clearly that he is a champion in the making, and I'm delighted to help provide him with this opportunity to showcase his talent with a competitive and professional Champ Car team like Rocketsports."

McDowell will test the #31 Rocketsports Racing Champ Car today and tomorrow at the 1.766-mile, 10-turn Putnum Park, in Mt. Meridian, Indiana. Engineering the car will be John Gentilozzi.

"Michael came highly recommended to us from Rob Finlay and others in the racing industry," said Rocketsports Racing team owner Paul Gentilozzi on how the deal came about. "He shows great potential and the desire to learn to be competitive in anything he races. We are looking forward to the next two races to allow him to get comfortable with the car and crew in preparation for 2006. His eagerness to be in the race car and to win, along with the team's desire to put Rocketsports back in to victory circle should prove to be a winning combination."

After a few hours running in the morning, McDowell was both amazed and awed by the performance of the Rockestports Champ Car. "I have a new level of respect for the guys who can drive a Champ Car for three hours at a time," he admits. "It's an extremely physical experience and I really like the fact that it doesn't have power steering and traction control like a Daytona Prototype because that makes it much easier to feel the track and the changes you're making to the car. Going back and forth between the two different types of cars, particularly in Mexico where I'll be driving both during the same weekend, will be a challenge, but with two of the best teams in motorsports today backing me up, I'm ready."

So what sponsorship will the #31 carry?

JoeBob
10-14-05, 04:48 PM
Looks like some modifications have been made to http://www.rocketsportsracing.com/

I wonder where RHR will land. (There were rumors of the Ganassi Lolas being used for him, but maybe they went to the 3rd Walker car.)

coolhand
10-14-05, 05:03 PM
Looks like some modifications have been made to http://www.rocketsportsracing.com/

I wonder where RHR will land. (There were rumors of the Ganassi Lolas being used for him, but maybe they went to the 3rd Walker car.)

I hope its ganassi. thats what i have heard all along, plus i think Walker could have aquried the 3rd lola from PKV that they have been using for a thrid car..

theunions
10-14-05, 06:01 PM
Plus i think Walker could have aquried the 3rd lola from PKV that they have been using for a thrid car..

Given that Will has already been testing said third Walker car, I doubt it as PKV still needs its third car for Zwolsman in Mexico City.

Or would they swap the livery/bodywork TWICE over the next month?

Oh yeah...the assertion that this type of double (racing a major league open wheeler and sports car on the same track in a given weekend) has historically never been done before is wrong, wrong, wrong.

coolhand
10-15-05, 01:27 AM
dont be surprised if finley buys into rocketsports by Mexico City

Rocketdoc
10-15-05, 06:08 PM
dont be surprised if finley buys into rocketsports by Mexico City

That's exactly what I've heard.

cameraman
10-17-05, 05:49 PM
RHR released a statement today.

"Apparently, I will not be driving for Rocketsports Racing in the final two races of the 2005 Champ Car World Series. While Paul (Gentilozzi) has made a commercial decision for his team I am, naturally, disappointed to miss the Surfers Paradise race where I took my first Champ Car victory in 2003 and finished 5th last year, as well as Mexico where I qualified 5th and posted the fastest race lap in my inaugural race there.

After the last two years where I have had some great results it has been a very frustrating season as I thought I was going to be in a situation where I could build on these previous successes.

I apologise to all my fans in Australia and Mexico that I won't be driving there for them to cheer on this year however, I have an incredible fan base that have supported me throughout my Champ Car career and I look forward to celebrating great results with them in the future.

I will now focus my efforts on securing a competitive drive for 2006."

I guess he was a Fontana this weekend too. :eek:

trish
10-17-05, 07:44 PM
He was bound to get screwed over considering who he was driving for. I wish him luck in whatever he decides to do.

Rogue Leader
10-17-05, 07:47 PM
Wow Paul... thats 2 guys you've screwed now.... :rolleyes:

extramundane
10-17-05, 09:08 PM
Wow Paul... thats 2 guys you've screwed now.... :rolleyes:

Oh, that list is longer than 2...

coolhand
10-17-05, 09:19 PM
so dumping an underperforming driver is "screwing" somone now?

racer2c
10-17-05, 09:32 PM
so dumping an underperforming driver is "screwing" somone now?

That depends on if the dumper replaces the dumped with a ride buyin' Brazilianaire. :gomer:

In this case he isn't, so the answer is a resounding 'no'. :)

Fio1
10-17-05, 10:11 PM
I don't think McDowel is all that great. That Finlay guy is backing him with a lot of money. He is good, but there are a lot better around. He'll wreck in both races and in practice as well. He has caused a lot of havoc in Daytona Prototype this season. I think he needs a good season of say GP2 before doing Champcars. But, on another hand I'm glad it's not another Brazilian F3 driver who's getting the money to go Champcars.

But, what really p*sses me off is RHR getting the boot! Gentilozzi is a hack, who doesn't know s****! :shakehead :flame: :thumdown:

coolhand
10-17-05, 10:19 PM
who is another good american?

Dr. Corkski
10-17-05, 10:22 PM
Bob Siska.

Sean O'Gorman
10-17-05, 10:30 PM
Has anyone spelled McDowell right yet in this thread?

coolhand
10-17-05, 10:54 PM
I think McDonald is a good driver,,,or O'Mcdell stupid irish names

Jervis Tetch 1
10-17-05, 11:44 PM
Oh, that list is longer than 2...Very long. A good friend of mine is one of them. Promised him a job and said he would call him in four days....well two weeks go by and he calls...still awaiting word....two more weeks go by and still nothing.

He found out someone else got the job from a phone call from a friend on the team informed him.

I felt badly for him.

Fio1
10-17-05, 11:48 PM
who is another good american?

RHR!
Elton Julian
Alex Gurney
Jeff Simmons
Phil Giebler
Colin Fleming
Harrison Brix

Sean O'Gorman
10-18-05, 12:07 AM
RHR!
Elton Julian
Alex Gurney
Jeff Simmons
Phil Giebler
Colin Fleming
Harrison Brix

RHR?

Are you naming the best qualified drivers or are you just listing your friends?

Fio1
10-18-05, 11:10 AM
Best qualified, I don't know any of these guys as friends. Might have met one or two and raced against another one or two in Barber Dodge 2-Liter, and that's it.

I still think RHR is very good. Better then most guys on the Champcar grid.

trauma1
10-19-05, 08:11 AM
IMO anyone that runs in the rocketsports 2nd car is pretty much screwed, Tags landed on his feet pretty good and i bet it turned out to be blessing he left PG, RHR will get a better ride next year even if it turns out to be with coyne, it would be better

KLang
10-19-05, 09:50 AM
I've been thinking he might end up with Coyne. Perhaps a payback for losing Servia? RHR supposedly has a contract of some sort with KK and/or Champ Car.

Fio1
10-19-05, 11:29 AM
IMO anyone that runs in the rocketsports 2nd car is pretty much screwed, Tags landed on his feet pretty good and i bet it turned out to be blessing he left PG, RHR will get a better ride next year even if it turns out to be with coyne, it would be better

Ya, no kidding. :rolleyes:

But, it still looks bad. I always said this, racing is like acting. No matter if you are an Oscar winner, everyone remembers your last role, so if you are in a flop, your career is basically over.....I hope this doesn't happened to RHR because he is trully one of the most talented guys out there. And, from what I understand, he turned down good IRL rides to stay in Champcars, so he deserves to be treated better then that.

Winston Wolfe
10-19-05, 11:33 AM
RHR's comments from his website, pretty much tell the tale that he was treated just like Tags was by PG.... and just like Tags, he'll be better off as an ex-Rocketsports driver than when he was a current RS driver...
I have to imagine RHRs confidence has taken a knock or two as well, with all of the DNFs and crashes from this year...
Best of luck to him.

And best of luck to McDowell for his efforts in the next two races !

pferrf1
10-19-05, 04:11 PM
Except Tag handled it with a bit more tact and diplomacy than RHR seems to have.

The RS team has totally lost it since expanding to two cars.

RichK
10-19-05, 04:21 PM
Has anyone spelled McDowell right yet in this thread?

:laugh:

I thought he was great in the Doobie Brothers, by the way. :thumbup:

coolhand
10-19-05, 09:31 PM
RHR seems to have handled this whole thing wrong.

1. He was upset at the beinning of the season to be with rocketsports because it was not cool enogh or some other piss poor reason. He wanted PKV, Forythe, RuSport, NHR but the problem is they hire good drivers. So he pissed and moned all season long and was not enthusiastic at Rocketsports and his results showed that. well tough rich boy, learn to live and overcome, racing is not fair but good drivers seem to pull through.

2. After complaining all season long and trying to work his way into other teams (like PKV to get jimmy's seat) he was bad mouthing Gent. behind his back trying to make a ploy for sympathy so that somone would save him from Gent's "terrible organization". but noone wanted him, and soon enough Gent. found out how RHR was trying to smear rocketsports to get a better ride so he went after another driver. found an american who would be a good addition to the series. and picked him up. So "see you later ryan you did not want to be here anyway so go".

3. then ryan acts like a brat after this and tries to play the victim (like TK and Tags were but in reality he was not). he piggedbacked on the fact that gent fired popular drivers before. He released a pretty emotional and unprofessional pressrelease trying to make a series woner look abd and thus the series.

this did nothing but burn bridges with the series. stupid move, the serie is the reason your ass had a ride ryan, so quit complaining, be happy you even had a ride this year.

so now ryan in all his professionalism is talking to paper on the phone asking for advice :laugh: :laugh: :gomer:

racer2c
10-19-05, 09:59 PM

1. He was upset at the beinning of the season to be with rocketsports because it was not cool enogh or some other piss poor reason. He wanted PKV, Forythe, RuSport, NHR but the problem is they hire good drivers. So he pissed and moned all season long and was not enthusiastic at Rocketsports and his results showed that. well tough rich boy, learn to live and overcome, racing is not fair but good drivers seem to pull through.

2. After complaining all season long and trying to work his way into other teams (like PKV to get jimmy's seat) he was bad mouthing Gent. behind his back trying to make a ploy for sympathy so that somone would save him from Gent's "terrible organization". but noone wanted him, and soon enough Gent. found out how RHR was trying to smear rocketsports to get a better ride so he went after another driver. found an american who would be a good addition to the series. and picked him up. So "see you later ryan you did not want to be here anyway so go".

3. then ryan acts like a brat after this and tries to play the victim (like TK and Tags were but in reality he was not). he piggedbacked on the fact that gent fired popular drivers before. He released a pretty emotional and unprofessional pressrelease trying to make a series woner look abd and thus the series.

this did nothing but burn bridges with the series. stupid move, the serie is the reason your ass had a ride ryan, so quit complaining, be happy you even had a ride this year.

so now ryan in all his professionalism is talking to paper on the phone asking for advice :laugh: :laugh: :gomer:

Pure BS. :thumdown:

Slow night digging up rumors from crapfanactics?

coolhand
10-19-05, 10:00 PM
then please tell us what you know about the situation racer2c. tell us what you know that has not been provided here. Or are you going to tell us what you want to believe?

i do not post at CCF, and from what i read there they are on the contrary side of this situation i am, so no i did not dig this up from there, i don not have to tell you where i gathered this from.

so try again Racer2c.

what do you know?

racer2c
10-19-05, 10:01 PM
then please tell us what you know about the situation racer2c. tell us what you know that has not been provided here. Or are you going to tell us what you want to believe?

You're the one throwing the unsubstantiated speculation around. You lay out your facts rumor boy.

coolhand
10-19-05, 10:03 PM
rumor boy lol :laugh:

I know what i am talking about, you don't. you know there is no way to "lay out facts" about this situation.

racer2c
10-19-05, 10:06 PM
rumor boy lol :laugh:

I know what i am talking about, you don't. you know there is no way to "lay out facts" about this situation.

Right. :rolleyes: You got all the "inside scoop".

Let's hear some more crapwagon gossip! We're all on the edge of our collective seats!

coolhand
10-19-05, 10:08 PM
link to where i pulled this from crapwagon

uhh you can't.

Instead of you attacking me how about you try and point what is "BS" in my post.

you probably can't, you will just mention some sight i never post at again.

racer2c
10-19-05, 10:16 PM
link to where i pulled this from crapwagon

uhh you can't.

Instead of you attacking me how about you try and point what is "BS" in my post.

you probably can't, you will just mention some sight i never post at again.

My, my, my. Quite defensive aren't we? :rofl:

I'll defer to Fio on RHR, he knows more about it than you or me, cuz like you pointed out, I don't no nuthin'. :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
10-19-05, 10:17 PM
Clearly RHR left Rocketsports to persue an open Red Bull F1 seat. :gomer:

coolhand
10-19-05, 10:38 PM
My, my, my. Quite defensive aren't we? :rofl:

I'll defer to Fio on RHR, he knows more about it than you or me, cuz like you pointed out, I don't no nuthin'. :gomer:

that depends on what side of the story he got, but i did not read him saying anything that is contrary to my post

Fio1
10-20-05, 12:00 AM

Why? He got replaced by another driver and basically told his side of the story. What he said was true, he'd make anything up or cry or anything bad. I

He was upset with the way things were going with Gentilozzi. After a few races he realized that there was no way he could win races in this team the way it's being run. If he was given the equipment to win races, he would have been happy. How can you be enthusiastic at Rocketsports if the team sucks?

I think you got that one wrong. He wanted to leave the team and go to anothre team when an opening apeared and the team wanted him, but Gentilozzi held him to the contract they had. Now, someone is willing to pay good money to race with Rocketsports and RHR is shown the door. What happened to the contract they had?

I didn't really understand this paragraph, especially the last line. So, there is nothing I can really say about that. I think the guy handled it very well. What did you expect him to do? At the end of the day, he has been very loyal to Champcar and deserves to be treated better.

coolhand
10-20-05, 12:12 AM
Ok, can we agree that Ryan did not want to be at Rocketsports?

now about him seeking other ridew while the season was going on. He was moving around the paddock talking about how Gentolizzi's team did this and that and how his poor performance was due to the team and had nothing to do with him. he was convinced he was never going to do well (not the right attitude) so he hoped that his performance would look bad enough that somone would come and bail him out and put him in a better seat. Just because he is Ryan. but the reason this was so disengenous was that he was given that ride by the series, so noone really owed him anything, especially a better seat. If another team with solid performance deemed him worthy they would have picked him up. But, guess what, noone did. He really wants the PKV ride and PKV will be testing alot of drivers in the off-season. Prior to these events i would have thought Ryan might get a test but i didn't see him getting the ride PKV. Now after hi actions he probably wont get a test.

coolhand
10-20-05, 12:13 AM
I didn't really understand this paragraph, especially the last line. So, there is nothing I can really say about that. I think the guy handled it very well. What did you expect him to do? At the end of the day, he has been very loyal to Champcar and deserves to be treated better.

talking to internet posters on the phone for an hour is handling it very well? :saywhat:

I expect him not to issue a press release with an undertone that Gentalozzi screwed him al la TK, and tags.

Fio1
10-20-05, 01:07 AM
Ok, can we agree that Ryan did not want to be at Rocketsports? If he is in the 'B' team? Yes, I agree he doesn't want to be there. If he was given equipment capable of winning races? No, why we he not want to be there?

If another team with solid performance deemed him worthy they would have picked him up. But, guess what, noone did. He really wants the PKV ride and PKV will be testing alot of drivers in the off-season. Prior to these events i would have thought Ryan might get a test but i didn't see him getting the ride PKV. Now after hi actions he probably wont get a test. First, I believe Newman-Haas wanted RHR after Junquiera got hurt. The chasing the Vasser seat during the season thing is news to me. Then again, I have been out of the loop for a while and missed a bunch of races. Secondly, I don't think he did anything wrong, so I don't see why this should hurt his chances for 2006. Finally, I'b be surprised anybody would go to Rocketsport after this fiasco and what happened with Tag, Phillipe, etc. :rolleyes:

Oh, and when you said paper, you meant the guy that posted on seventhgear back in the days. I understod paper as in the newspaper. I get it now. paper's a nice guy, I wonder what he's been up to. Haven't read anything from him in a while.

I do wish McDowell luck in those two races. Maybe, he'll end up in a decent seat next year after this. I wonder how he'll do changing from DP to champcars in the same day at Mexico. I don't think anyone has done something like that since AJ Foyt. That's pretty cool. :thumbup:

RHR will be fine, he has enough credintials to land in a good seat next year. Hopefully in champcars, because the series needs him. If not, maybe a good sportscar gig. I'd hate for him to go to IRL, but a guy has to do what he has to do.

Rocketdoc
10-20-05, 03:38 AM
"I wonder how he'll do changing from DP to champcars in the same day at Mexico."

He's been testing at Putnam Park, and he said that there's quite a difference between a DP and Champ Cars.

I'm hoping everything works well for him in these two races.

coolhand
10-20-05, 04:40 AM
If he is in the 'B' team? Yes, I agree he doesn't want to be there. If he was given equipment capable of winning races? No, why we he not want to be there?

its not a forythe, NHR, PKV, or RuSport level ride, but its right behind them.

First, I believe Newman-Haas wanted RHR after Junquiera got hurt. The chasing the Vasser seat during the season thing is news to me. Then again, I have been out of the loop for a while and missed a bunch of races. Secondly, I don't think he did anything wrong, so I don't see why this should hurt his chances for 2006. Finally, I'b be surprised anybody would go to Rocketsport after this fiasco and what happened with Tag, Phillipe, etc. :rolleyes:

Incorrect. Carl Haas was looking for the best person he could find for

1. Milwaukee
2. the balance of the season

Odds are he would have found some hot shoe from europe or another rising star to fill the seat the rest of the season. He went after many F1 test drivers but they were all locked up with contracts for 2005. So with only a week to decide he figured he would have to look towards a recent champ car competetor or a current one to do milwuakee who had oval experience. (stuff like Buddy Lazier and such came up for the one off). While this was happening I think somone brought up that RHR is dying to move up the grid. Gentzlozzi imediatly offered NHR to take Ryan for the rest of the season and since RHR dominated the race last year Haas decided he would take Ryan but ONLY for Milwaukee. Gentalozzi then did not want to scrambble to find a driver on short notice just for Milwuakee and decided it was only worth it if he would find a driver for the rest of the season. So he told Carl that he had to take Ryan for the balance of the season or leave it. So Carl did not pick up ryan and looked down the grid to another driver desperate to move up the grid and with lots of CC experience. And he picked up servia which was initially just for Milwuakee, but when nothing else was available and things working out with Oriol they held on to him for the rest of the season.

So meanwhile RHR is stuck back with a ride he feels is below him and is working still to get up the grid. His former teammate owns PKV and so he has worked to get in with that team (see the Race car driver episode where he goes fishing with JV and DP, both owners of PKV). But i dont think PKV values RHR as good enough for their seat. we will see if they give him a test this off season (due to recent events i doubt it). I think Manning, Carpetier, Servia and Daziel will get tested.

Oh, and when you said paper, you meant the guy that posted on seventhgear back in the days. I understod paper as in the newspaper. I get it now. paper's a nice guy, I wonder what he's been up to. Haven't read anything from him in a while.

don't bother looking into it :gomer:

I do wish McDowell luck in those two races. Maybe, he'll end up in a decent seat next year after this. I wonder how he'll do changing from DP to champcars in the same day at Mexico. I don't think anyone has done something like that since AJ Foyt. That's pretty cool. :thumbup:

RHR will be fine, he has enough credintials to land in a good seat next year. Hopefully in champcars, because the series needs him. If not, maybe a good sportscar gig. I'd hate for him to go to IRL, but a guy has to do what he has to do.

I hope McDowell does really well too.

I think RHR has burned his bridges by getting all worked up over this, between going to Fontana and what might have been said privatly i think he has POed a few key people. I may be wrong, but this is still developing.

TKGAngel
10-20-05, 08:46 AM
So, to summarize what we know after reading this thread:

1). RHR is out at Rocketsports.
2). He, like other drivers, was treated horribly by Gentilozzi.
3). He either handled himself with class and grace unlike his owner in this situation, or he acted like a spoiled 5 year old, depending on your POV.
4). He still wants to remain in CC - see chats with JV and DP at PKV.
5). He wants to go IRL'ing - see sightings at Fontana.

Does that about sum it up?

pchall
10-20-05, 08:54 AM

3). He either handled himself with class and grace unlike his owner in this situation, or he acted like a spoiled 5 year old, depending on your POV.

Maybe RHR is ticked that Glock has done better for the same crappy team?

RHR is quickly becoming the Danica of CCWS. :gomer:

racer2c
10-20-05, 08:55 AM

Don't forget his daddy is rich but CC pays his way and also he sucks but he's the next Senna.

Fio1
10-20-05, 10:59 AM
And, that Gentilozzi has no class!

You guys have been around long enough to know that there are #1s on teams and #2s. Glock and DHL is clearly a #1 on this team with the engineer, the latest stuff and all that. RHR has been given the left overs all season long and that is the reason he hasn't done as well as Glock. I seem to have read somewhere that he didn't have an engineer for the good part of the season. :saywhat:

nrc
10-20-05, 11:12 AM
I've never been a Ryan basher. He's a talented driver. But even if he didn't get the same support from Rocketsports it's kind of hard to dismiss the difference in results from his rookie teammate. Glock has routinely been faster out of the box on tracks he's never even seen before.

I can make some allowance for the Mikey Andretti "B team" excuse, but Ryan really didn't show much of anything this season. My theory is that he got frustrated that Glock was faster out of the box. He got too focused on what was wrong with the team and things went downhill from there.

coolhand
10-20-05, 01:12 PM
I've never been a Ryan basher. He's a talented driver. But even if he didn't get the same support from Rocketsports it's kind of hard to dismiss the difference in results from his rookie teammate. Glock has routinely been faster out of the box on tracks he's never even seen before.

I can make some allowance for the Mikey Andretti "B team" excuse, but Ryan really didn't show much of anything this season. My theory is that he got frustrated that Glock was faster out of the box. He got too focused on what was wrong with the team and things went downhill from there.

yep, welll said :thumbup:

Fio1
10-20-05, 09:51 PM
Guys, explain to me how you go Champcar racing without an engineer? :rolleyes: Heck, any competitive open wheel series for that matter. Gock had an engineer all season, RHR did not...

Dr. Corkski
10-20-05, 10:17 PM
Guys, explain to me how you go Champcar racing without an engineer? :rolleyes: Heck, any competitive open wheel series for that matter. Gock had an engineer all season, RHR did not...Ask Alex Tagliani.

Methanolandbrats
10-20-05, 10:19 PM
I did'nt read all this, can I have a Cliff's Note's version of why this **** ran three pages? Thanks much.

racer2c
10-20-05, 10:23 PM
Guys, explain to me how you go Champcar racing without an engineer? Heck, any competitive open wheel series for that matter. Gock had an engineer all season, RHR did not...

First, Daddy calls Mr. K and writes big check for Ryan to race fast car. :) Then mean Mr. G says Ryan can't race fast car no more. Ryan cry. :cry: Ryan says he don't need stupid engineer. They make Ryan talk about science. Science makes Ryan mad. :mad: Ryan wants to race for McDonald's. Mean kid with glasses won't let Ryan sit in the McDonald's Car. That makes Ryan mad too. Ryan calls him Harry Potter behind his back. Daddy gives Ryan lots o' cash to buy things with. Ryan wishes he had more money like Rodolfo Lavin. Ryan gets mad at his daddy for not having more money. :gomer:

RHR_Fan
10-20-05, 10:24 PM
Guess I should chime in since Ryan is my favourite driver, but I don't know what to say. I just hope to see him in a car for 2006.

~Nicole

dando
10-20-05, 10:24 PM
I did'nt read all this, can I have a Cliff's Note's version of why this **** ran three pages? Thanks much.
RHR shot JR. News @ 11.

Pissing and moaning about RHR and PG.

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
10-20-05, 10:44 PM
RHR shot JR. News @ 11.

Pissing and moaning about RHR and PG.

-Kevin Thankyou.

Ankf00
10-20-05, 11:40 PM
First, Daddy calls Mr. K and writes big check for Ryan to race fast car. Then mean Mr. G says Ryan can't race fast car no more. Ryan cry. :cry: Ryan says he don't need stupid engineer. They make Ryan talk about science. Science makes Ryan mad. :mad: Ryan wants to race for McDonald's. Mean kid with glasses won't let Ryan sit in the McDonald's Car. That makes Ryan mad too. Ryan calls him Harry Potter behind his back. Daddy gives Ryan lots o' cash to buy things with. Ryan wishes he had more money like Rodolfo Lavin. Ryan gets mad at his daddy for not having more money. :gomer:

:laugh:

good show, good show.

coolhand
10-21-05, 02:50 AM
First, Daddy calls Mr. K and writes big check for Ryan to race fast car. Then mean Mr. G says Ryan can't race fast car no more. Ryan cry. :cry: Ryan says he don't need stupid engineer. They make Ryan talk about science. Science makes Ryan mad. :mad: Ryan wants to race for McDonald's. Mean kid with glasses won't let Ryan sit in the McDonald's Car. That makes Ryan mad too. Ryan calls him Harry Potter behind his back. Daddy gives Ryan lots o' cash to buy things with. Ryan wishes he had more money like Rodolfo Lavin. Ryan gets mad at his daddy for not having more money. :gomer:

your almost grasping it :thumbup:

theunions
10-21-05, 03:02 AM
While the two photos of the #31 currently on AR1, taken Wed. and Fri. morning, show the car in Red Paw livery, the Fri. qualifying quotes PR I just received says the sponsor is Commercial Defeasance (in other words, Finlay) - anyone have shots of the #31 thus sponsored?

coolhand
10-21-05, 03:13 AM
people laughed when rocketdoc and i said earlier that Finley in considering buying into rocketsports.

He is the one backing Mcdowell this weekend.

extramundane
10-21-05, 07:49 AM
people laughed when rocketdoc and i said earlier that Finley in considering buying into rocketsports.

Sponsoring the ride isn't the same as buying into the team.

Fio1
10-21-05, 09:29 AM

That won't surprise me one bit. Now, things are starting to make sense. Too bad RHR is the scape goat in this deal. First Tag, now RHR. I wonder who's next? Glock? :shakehead

NismoZ
10-21-05, 10:57 AM
Nah, DHL likes Timo and he's actually performing, too. Money may not always equal results but when they DO go together all involved seem to be happier. :) Hell, I'd rather see really good 1 car efforts if this is the fallout crap that results. Maybe we "fans" should demand an all-out test between Servia and RHR in a proper race car provided by N/H. THEN we'd have a better indication of comparative talent. I recall how GREAT many of you thought Michel Jourdain had become, forgetting perhaps, that he'd leap-frogged to a top team? Guess what?...When some drivers complain that their true talent can't shine through because of the car or team, they are often correct! As "equal" as CC is trying to make things there is still a huge disparity among teams. Our propensity for attacking owners and drivers on a personal basis serves no purpose that I can understand and leaves me hoping that by '07 CC's efforts will allow room for maybe 24 cars on an average starting grid!

nrc
10-21-05, 02:52 PM
While the two photos of the #31 currently on AR1, taken Wed. and Fri. morning, show the car in Red Paw livery, the Fri. qualifying quotes PR I just received says the sponsor is Commercial Defeasance (in other words, Finlay) - anyone have shots of the #31 thus sponsored?

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2005/By800/20051021P_0025.jpg
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2005/By800/20051021P_0007.jpg

In case anyone else is wondering...

Defeasance is simply a substitution of collateral. Technically, no “prepayment” occurs because the debt is still outstanding. U.S. Government securities are substituted for the original loan collateral (the real estate), giving the investor (lender) a similar or superior source of repayment.

NismoZ
10-21-05, 04:25 PM
So, that's legal, then? :confused:

coolhand
10-21-05, 06:49 PM
looks like the car got upgraded with vented endplates and a new wing hanger

Fio1
10-21-05, 11:06 PM
looks like the car got upgraded with vented endplates and a new wing hanger

Ya, parts they couldn't afford when Ryan drove. :rolleyes: If you want someone to buy into your organization, you have to make it look good, eh? :cool:

nrc
10-21-05, 11:52 PM
Ya, parts they couldn't afford when Ryan drove. :rolleyes:

..or parts Ryan busted and they had to replace. :p

coolhand
10-23-05, 06:14 PM
well, McDowell dealed with the adversity of a tire making him pit for repairs and did not just park it and complain about gentalozzi

good work, i am happy to have him in the series, not a bad first race :thumbup:

Rocketdoc
10-23-05, 06:49 PM
well, McDowell dealed with the adversity of a tire making him pit for repairs and did not just park it and complain about gentalozzi

good work, i am happy to have him in the series, not a bad first race :thumbup:

He kept his head, and didn't drive over it.

Good drive.

racer2c
10-23-05, 10:33 PM
Yeah! He finished 12th, one lap down! He's Zanardi, Mario and JPM all rolled into one! :)

Rocketdoc
10-23-05, 10:35 PM
Yeah! He finished 12th, one lap down! He's Zanardi, Mario and JPM all rolled into one! :)

After having a nose replaced, and his first Champ Car race, that's not too bad.

Where did you finish in your first professional open wheeled race?

Methanolandbrats
10-23-05, 10:39 PM

Rent-a-rides are professional? Sounds like vanity publishing to me.

coolhand
10-23-05, 10:42 PM
Zanardi
Mar 3, 1996 Homestead - Marlboro Grand Prix of Miami start-14 finish-24

Montoya
Mar 26, 1999 Homestead - Marlboro Grand Prix of Miami start-2 finish-23

Well if you want to use this as an indication of his career it bodes well, but i take less worth in it.

What Rocketdoc and i were saying is that we felt Mcdowell did real well for his first performance and handled an incident that was out of his controll very well.

did just as good or better the RHR did all season.

time to bow out r2c

coolhand
10-23-05, 10:43 PM

paid for by somone who is probably going to buy into Rocketsports, so look at it as a downpayment for a possible owner a good driver.

If RHR is a good as all you says he is he should land a ride next season.

nrc
10-23-05, 11:51 PM

That's just a stupid remark. After dominating the Formula Mazda championship mcDowell is just as qualified for a Champ car ride as RHR, who never won a feeder series championship. Hunter Reay got his ride the very same way as McDowell - people with money who believed in him paid for it.

Fio1
10-24-05, 12:16 AM
McDowell did a good job, he finished the race which was the first step! Like coolhand said, RHR is good enough to land somewhere next season. I'm sure of it. If Finley wants to buy into Rocketsport, I hope he makes it a better team and McDowell has a chance to shine. I also hope he puts Gentilozzi in his place.....

Rocketdoc
10-24-05, 12:16 AM

Rob Finlay may be providing the funding, but McDowell "is" a pro driver.

Rocketdoc
10-24-05, 12:28 AM
paid for by somone who is probably going to buy into Rocketsports, so look at it as a downpayment for a possible owner a good driver.

If RHR is a good as all you says he is he should land a ride next season.

That's exactly how it went down.

It is my understanding that Finlay may have indeed "bought into" Rocketsports, not just "rented" a ride for McDowell.

BTW, Michael McDowell is not a wealthy boy with an expensive toy; he "won the lottery" in connecting with Rob Finlay at the Bondurant school. And not to paraphrase Leo Mehl, but 'there's a hundred more like him there'.

At many American drivers' schools: There’s an untapped reservoir of driving talent; often poor, but very, very talented.

coolhand
10-24-05, 12:45 AM
That's just a stupid remark. After dominating the Formula Mazda championship mcDowell is just as qualified for a Champ car ride as RHR, who never won a feeder series championship. Hunter Reay got his ride the very same way as McDowell - people with money who believed in him paid for it.

show me a driver who did not have somone pay for him throught the support system and help him break into the top level

theunions
10-24-05, 01:55 AM
show me a driver who did not have somone pay for him throught the support system and help him break into the top level

Pop-Tart's Grand-Am DP teammate, for starters... :)

coolhand
10-24-05, 04:12 AM
Pop-Tart's Grand-Am DP teammate, for starters... :)

so where did the money come from that supported memo in jnior formulae?

i am familiar with him living in a truck a sears point and such.

JohnnyQ
10-24-05, 06:20 AM

Memo has you all snowed. He used to show up at Hooters Cup/F2000 with bags of money. How he made it as far as he did is pure smoke and mirrors (magic).
He might have eaten lunch in a truck at Sears Point? :)

racer2c
10-24-05, 08:21 AM
After having a nose replaced, and his first Champ Car race, that's not too bad.

First. :gomer:

racer2c
10-24-05, 08:26 AM

Hey, aren't you the guy who in this very thread was dumping all over Rich Boy Reay for his using Daddy's money? :rofl:

Just goes to show you, give a thread more than three pages, people can't keep their arguments in line. :gomer:

How's Crapfanatics these days? What's wrong? Still pissed that paper won't won't send you a paper car?

Hey, maybe Mcdoweel will finish 11th in Mexico! :thumbup:

coolhand
10-24-05, 01:36 PM
its funny how you seem to want to make this thread about me.

and no, i dont post there.

Hey, aren't you the guy who in this very thread was dumping all over Rich Boy Reay for his using Daddy's money?

i was not dumping on him, but rather saying he was a wealthy kid who got in based on his parents. While mcDowell impressed a wealthy person who decided to sponsor him. big difference.

Sean O'Gorman
10-24-05, 04:32 PM
At many American drivers' schools: There’s an untapped reservoir of driving talent; often poor, but very, very talented.

I don't think you can call anyone who could afford enough racing to be hired as an instructor as "poor", not by any stretch. Well, maybe once they've stopped racing. :D

theunions
10-24-05, 05:41 PM

Not from cash sponsors, that's for sure (in other words, not Lynx, either).

I don't believe he ever actually lived IN his truck.