PDA

View Full Version : what is wrong with this place?

Pages : [1] 2

Ankf00
05-01-07, 10:53 AM
a 2 page thread on the NBA and nothing about the real playoffs going down right now? :saywhat:

dando
05-01-07, 11:03 AM
a 2 page thread on the NBA and nothing about the real playoffs going down right now? :saywhat:

Go <insert team name playing NYR, NJD, or Red Army>!

How's that? :)

BTW, the NBA thread is a 2 page hating on Cork thread. :gomer:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
05-01-07, 11:41 AM
Let's Go Buffalo! :)

I'm interested if tonight the Versus dudes will beat last week's record of 37 mentions of the color sweaters the Sabres and Rangers are wearing. :shakehead

Ankf00
05-01-07, 11:53 AM
meh, at least you're on TV. There's been like 3 televised Devs games so far.

dando
05-01-07, 12:50 PM
Oh, and I love the chucklehead broadcasts on VS vs. the US broadcasts. The Nessie award last night was hilarious. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Ankf00
05-01-07, 01:44 PM
if the NHL ever upgrades from this VS. deal, the new broadcast partner should continue just buying the canuckistani feed.

dando
05-01-07, 03:55 PM

I'm interested if tonight the Versus dudes will beat last week's record of 37 mentions of the color sweaters the Sabres and Rangers are wearing. :shakehead

Do them things glow when the lights are off? :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
05-01-07, 04:01 PM
Do them things glow when the lights are off? :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

No, no they don't. :p

meh, at least you're on TV. There's been like 3 televised Devs games so far.

I didn't know you were a Devils fan, Ank.

Ankf00
05-01-07, 04:44 PM
I didn't know you were a Devils fan, Ank.
http://offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=123600&postcount=13

http://offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=44925&postcount=10
http://offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=45138&postcount=22
http://offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=45280&postcount=32
http://offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=46055&postcount=42

http://offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=123591&postcount=10

http://offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=148404&postcount=27
http://offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=148736&postcount=47
http://offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=148743&postcount=49

unfortunately the greatness that was marty pwning Giguere's overrated ass in '03 was lost w/ 7G :gomer:

Andrew Longman
05-01-07, 05:00 PM

I'm just hoping for a nice quiet game like one of the romps over Atlanta. Another game like the 2OT game is not good for my health. It was getting close to the point where I didn't care who won, I just wanted the agony to end.

Not as bad as the five hour 3OT 8-7 Northern Michigan win over Boston U for the 1991 National Championship though. Until that win light went on I was ready to puke.:D

Go Rangers!

Andrew Longman
05-01-07, 05:05 PM
[url]unfortunately the greatness that was marty pwning Giguere's overrated ass in '03 was lost w/ 7G :gomer:

That WAS sweet wasn't it?:D

I was a Ranger fan before there were Devils so I have to keep my loyalties. But the Devils play solid hockey and, until last year (with the exception of 1994), the Rangers just couldn't suck enough. Completely idiotic front office. So if I actually want to watch good hockey I watch the Devils.;)

Tifosi24
05-01-07, 10:06 PM
Not as bad as the five hour 3OT 8-7 Northern Michigan win over Boston U for the 1991 National Championship though. Until that win light went on I was ready to puke.:D

Go Rangers!

How the heck does a 7-7 hockey game go three OTs? Were both teams that gassed after three period of Q league hockey.

Tim
05-01-07, 10:50 PM
After years on the forums I'll cheer for the Rangers.:D

Andrew Longman
05-02-07, 09:56 AM
How the heck does a 7-7 hockey game go three OTs? Were both teams that gassed after three period of Q league hockey.

Wanna watch it? http://www.amazon.com/1991-NCAA-Division-Hockey-Championship/dp/B000NO2FT2

The amazing thing is NMU was up 3-0 IIRC, then went down 7-3, then tied it.

Then they slugged it out for 3OT.

Only longer NCAA final (or anything close to it) was I believe '84 with 4 OT.

BTW the NMU coach was Rick Comely who just coached Michigan State to the championship. Only second coach to coach two schools to the title. He was at NMU for 20+ years before moving south of the bridge.

TKGAngel
05-02-07, 04:36 PM
What do you guys think about the decision in last night's Rangers/Sabres game? Goal or no goal?

tllips
05-02-07, 04:48 PM
What do you guys think about the decision in last night's Rangers/Sabres game? Goal or no goal?

I haven't seen it yet, but the blurb in the Chicago Tribune this morning said it was the seventh goal reviewed for the Sabres in this playoffs, but the first not to go in their favor. :eek:

Andrew Longman
05-02-07, 05:22 PM
I'm pretty certain the puck had to have crossed the line but because the camera angle is from slightly behind the goal line and because the view of the puck was blocked for an instant by the goalie's pads you can't actually see the puck cross the line.

By rule I don't think they can call it a goal unless they actually see it cross the line, but it was likely a goal. Lundqvist sure looked like he knew it crossed the line and it would have been his fault for wandering behind the net.

Between the Islanders series and and so far in this series, the Sabres have no room to complain about one review, especially after the Ranger goal they disallowed on Sunday. I haven't heard or read anything to suggest that was a "kick in".

TKGAngel
05-02-07, 06:46 PM
By rule I don't think they can call it a goal unless they actually see it cross the line, but it was likely a goal. Lundqvist sure looked like he knew it crossed the line and it would have been his fault for wandering behind the net.

Between the Islanders series and and so far in this series, the Sabres have no room to complain about one review, especially after the Ranger goal they disallowed on Sunday. I haven't heard or read anything to suggest that was a "kick in".

I agree with you. I think Lundqvist knew it was in. Coach Renney made a comment about tying a rope around Lunqvist's neck and tying him to the crossbar to keep him in position.

I'm not complaining about it not being called a goal (today at least ;) ). The guys played like it-shay during the first two periods, and really did not deserve to win last night. And besides, after 5 reviews in the Sabres favor, one had to not go their way eventually.

This whole controversy has stirred a discussion about camera placement in the goal area. If anything, it could lead to a standardization of placements of cameras league-wide. (Currently, camera placement differs from arena to arena, and is the prerogative of the home team broadcaster to determine placement).

Andrew Longman
05-03-07, 09:21 AM
(Currently, camera placement differs from arena to arena, and is the prerogative of the home team broadcaster to determine placement).

Really? It seems pretty obvious that should be standardized. At least as much as the specific building allows.

During the broadcast the announcers said the camera had to be slightly behind the goal because the crossbar blocks the goal line. Makes sense, but then why not put a lipstick camera actually in the goal?

Still better than the old days before cameras and instant replay. This playoff season aside I think hockey replay is actually far better than football.

Ankf00
05-03-07, 10:16 AM
I'm not complaining about it not being called a goal (today at least ;) ).

what kind of sabres fan would you be if you weren't? :gomer:

dando
05-03-07, 01:12 PM

During the regular season a CBJs player apparently ended up with the puck in their gear and got pushed into the goal by the opponent. Nobody saw the puck cross the line, and to make matters worse, the puck ended up near the face off circle shortly after the goal was called. Nobody saw what happened. The play went up for review, and it was called a goal despite the fact the nobody saw the puck during all of this. Bizarre.

Oh, and every time the Devils lose, an angel gets their wings! :D GO SENS! :)

-Kevin

Ankf00
05-03-07, 02:10 PM
how are those pylons working out for you?

TKGAngel
05-03-07, 02:56 PM
what kind of sabres fan would you be if you weren't? :gomer:

That's right. :)

The buzz here is that the Pylons are going to use Marty Biron to lure Briere this off-season.

racermike
05-04-07, 12:27 AM
First time I can remember, not watching one game this season, except from what i heard in bars occasionally playing in the background.

Just dont seem to care for it anymore (I still watch college ball quite a bit though)

dando
05-07-07, 12:25 PM
Congrats giant slugs! :thumbup: NYR and NJD are making tee times...all is well and good in the world! :D

-Kevin

Ankf00
05-07-07, 12:41 PM
have any of your 15 teams even sniffed playoffs lately? :p

TKGAngel
05-07-07, 01:01 PM
I'll admit that Friday night I thought the Sabres were screwed. Then Drury proved that he's Captain Clutch, and yesterday's game showed what the team can do when they all pull together and stop showboating.

Buffalo/Ottawa's going to be a great series to watch, if only because of what happened the last time they played. Not that there's any residual hatred or anything ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAPhqXj_24I

dando
05-07-07, 01:41 PM
I'll admit that Friday night I thought the Sabres were screwed. Then Drury proved that he's Captain Clutch, and yesterday's game showed what the team can do when they all pull together and stop showboating.

Buffalo/Ottawa's going to be a great series to watch, if only because of what happened the last time they played. Not that there's any residual hatred or anything http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAPhqXj_24I

Your G fights like a girl, BTW. Oh wait, he's a Phlyer now.... :saywhat: :gomer:

I'll take Ruff in 5 rounds. ;) I would loved to have been the guy b/w the coaches during that exchange. :eek:

-Kevin

dando
05-07-07, 01:42 PM
have any of your 15 teams even sniffed playoffs lately? :p

:saywhat:

Dude, make that 28 teams...any team playing against the NYR or NJD. :p

-Kevin

devilmaster
05-07-07, 01:45 PM
I would loved to have been the guy b/w the coaches during that exchange.

-Kevin

I think that's the only time i've ever seen Rob Ray do nothing and say nothing when two guys were fighting round him... :eek: :rofl:

TKGAngel
05-07-07, 01:58 PM
I think that's the only time i've ever seen Rob Ray do nothing and say nothing when two guys were fighting round him... :eek: :rofl:

Ray had said he would have stepped between the two if required, but I think he was more concerned about covering the mic, especially after Lindy's comment about "go after Peters, don't go after our $%^#$! captain."

Your G fights like a girl, BTW. Oh wait, he's a Phlyer now....

Last game he played in a Sabre uniform, but it was one heck of an exit.

devilmaster
05-07-07, 02:29 PM
I will agree that the shootout is the suck, but what else about the NHL since the lockout is less appealing. Granted, we still have to put up with the hell that is the neutral zone trap (except Cork), but I think the product is better since the lockout.

I have been avoiding this question posed to me, only because I know it could turn into a 5 post rant, plus it was in the NBA playoffs thread. I know most of the OCers who follow hockey and read this know this whole story, but I need to type it.

But I'll try and pare it down to a couple simple thoughts.

1st off - yes, the shootout sucks. The only major NA sport that decides regular season ties with a gimmick. Could you imagine the backlash of baseball saying a regular season game should be decided with a home run derby, or perhaps a field goal competition for football? a dunk or 3 point contest for bball?

But what was wrong with hockey? When Bettman came in, the NHL was already on the upswing. 'Coolest game on Earth' was the catchphrase. Fox and ESPN were paying big money stateside. There were articles about how the NHL had or was about to pass the NBA in the sports rankings. Everyone wanted in. This was the hockey that everyone grew up on. And it worked.

Well, it worked till dumb owners and a commish who knew nothing bout hockey and didn't care about the sport decided to change some things. Instead of nuturing the cities and fans that it had, they thought they could force feed new cities and fans. Add teams in areas where no one thinks of hockey. Allow natural northern fanbases to lose their teams (Minny, Winterpeg, ville de quebec). Forego the history of hockey, because we wouldn't want new fans to have to learn about the past. Goodbye Norris, Smythe, Adams and Patrick. Campbell and Wales - well the trophy is already called that, no need to name the conferences them too. Hell, some people out there probably think Stanley is just the tool company with a corporate sponsorship deal.

But life was good. The owners made money - and every couple years, the franchise fee went up and up and someone was dumb enough to buy and buy. No one cared then about the dilution of the talent pool. No one cared then that the labour agreement was terrible and a arbitration deal that was so one sided to the players it wasn't funny. If a Sergei Federov has an off year and only scores twenty, and some guy like McCarty scores 20, he'd go have an arbiter give him Sergei money.

And with all this money flying, owners spent stupidly. Big offers to restricted players like Sakic and Fedorov that drove arbitration decisions even higher.

And then the game started to suffer. But why? IMHO - the game suffered because between all the owners, league officials, players and the NHLPA, no one bothered to care about the game of hockey itself. The paragraphs above are why the game suffers.

The game didn't suffer because people hated ties. The game didn't suffer because of a coaching plan called the trap. (although the dilution of the talent pool meant it was easier to play the trap. Less speedsters and skilled players on one team. I can't imagine the 80s Oilers having a problem with the trap.)

So for years the warnings were there. Lockout coming. Gonna lose a whole season, guaranteed unless we see a miracle.

So once the lockout is done, lets completely re-invent the game! :mad:

People all of a sudden hated ties. Ok, no more ties! Oh yeah, people hate the redline. Ok, no more redline! Goalies of the past used to be the slowest skater on the team, but now they're skilled players. Ok, can't go into the corner guys! Oh btw, we need to make 'rivalries' with divisional teams(nevermind the fact that you can't invent a rivalry. You just can't. The battle of Ontario wasn't that because they played each other in the regular season, it was that because they kept meeting in the playoffs. And one side kept winning.) Ok, bye bye conference games and goodbye to the history of the Original 6. (whats the original six, bettman asks?)

When I look back and see the problems that brought the NHL to this point, I don't get how they came up with the ideas to 'fix' it as they did. These fixes don't fix the problems. They've changed the game. You attack the symptoms instead of attacking the cause. A car analogy if you will, you have a busted alternator, and you just keep replacing batteries and while you're at it, add a spoiler, ground effects and a leather steering wheel.

Perhaps I'm just living in the past. I love hockey and still watch OHL live and on TV on a regular basis. But the NHL is lost on me. I still follow it to a certain degree, still love my golfing Leafs, but this league now is not the league I fell in love with.

The NHL now is better than the NHL of 4 years ago, but they both suck compared to the league of the past.

devilmaster
05-07-07, 02:39 PM
And two things to add.

This season I heard these 2 things:

1) Ron MacLean (who usually is a smart man) came up with an idea to go to 32 teams with some sort of a schedule. Grapes, hit him for me. :irked:

2) Because we no longer have ties, we need to reinvent the points system now. 3 points for a regular season win they say. Jesus! Why the hell do you have a point system anymore with no ties! Just do like baseball and basketball and have a Win column and a Loss Column and games behind. But no, lets make the point system even more confusing because we apparently need to keep the points system even though we got rid of the main reason for having a point system.

Andrew Longman
05-07-07, 03:47 PM
Great summary DM , especially on the origins of the downfall of the sport.

I'll disagree on a few points. I have no problem with eliminating the red line. I've followed college hockey since the 70s and the haven't had a red line all that time. I always liked how it opened up the game and promoted risk taking, (especially on the smaller rinks).

I don't have a problem with the shootout. I don't have a problem with ties either though. What I had a problem with was the way teams played OT and even the 3rd period in tie games. Teams became way overly cautious, playing for a tie. I hated that.

I think calling shoot outs a gimmick is a little unfair. They have long been part of international and Olympic hockey. They happen in soccer and field hockey and lacrosse. At some point I think it is fair to say that the teams have proven are either so evenly matched or so tired that some other remedy is needed.

I also don't hate the trap. Maybe its because I've seen the Devils be such masters of it for so long, but I say if you have the talent and skill to defeat it, go ahead.

Finally, I don't get the whole goal tender behind the goal line rule. I think it is dumb.

TKGAngel
05-07-07, 04:03 PM
And two things to add.

This season I heard these 2 things:

1) Ron MacLean (who usually is a smart man) came up with an idea to go to 32 teams with some sort of a schedule. Grapes, hit him for me. :irked:

2) Because we no longer have ties, we need to reinvent the points system now. 3 points for a regular season win they say. Jesus! Why the hell do you have a point system anymore with no ties! Just do like baseball and basketball and have a Win column and a Loss Column and games behind. But no, lets make the point system even more confusing because we apparently need to keep the points system even though we got rid of the main reason for having a point system.

The GM's voted down #2.

The trap makes for boring hockey. Dump and chase. Dump and chase. Lather, rinse, repeat. The thrill of a forward making a break for the offensive zone is lost with the trap.

I like the no-red line rule. It was aggravating to have a good play whistled off because of a two line pass.

I actually don't have a problem with the shootout rule. I think it adds drama to the game, and lets the goalies shine. Leave the marathon overtime games to the playoffs. However, if someone could tell me why regular-season overtime is 4 on 4 and playoff OT is 5 on 5, that would be great.

Andrew Longman
05-07-07, 04:25 PM
However, if someone could tell me why regular-season overtime is 4 on 4 and playoff OT is 5 on 5, that would be great.

More likely to score 4 on 4, hence it could arguably be tarred as a gimmick. 5 on 5 in the playoff is because, well, its the playoff. :gomer:

devilmaster
05-07-07, 06:02 PM
good debate - but perhaps I just enjoy watching a game where 2 goalies stand on their heads and end in a tie. To me, there was nothing wrong with that.

One more thing to add from me - when the lockout was over and they decided some things needed to change, I hated it that they decided to change so many freakin things. So does elimination of the red line help score more goals? Or is it goalies who can't play the corners?

They changed so many things that I would submit that you can't easily deduce how each individual change has affected the game.

Ankf00
05-07-07, 06:06 PM
goalies should be allowed to play the corners, but they should be fair game that far out.

dando
05-07-07, 08:56 PM
One more thing to add from me - when the lockout was over and they decided some things needed to change, I hated it that they decided to change so many freakin things. So does elimination of the red line help score more goals? Or is it goalies who can't play the corners?

There's that plus the rules enforcement that opened up the game that was a factor as well. I'm agnostic to the G and OT changes, but I agree that they should have been phased in onesy twosey rather than all @ once.

-Kevin

tllips
05-07-07, 10:48 PM
good debate - but perhaps I just enjoy watching a game where 2 goalies stand on their heads and end in a tie. To me, there was nothing wrong with that.

They changed so many things that I would submit that you can't easily deduce how each individual change has affected the game.

Eliminating the Red Line was intended to help teams break the trap. The trap makes for such boring hockey, typically, that I support any idea to open up the game. Wasn't it a blast watching the Oilers of the late 80's? Even though I hated them, it was exciting hockey!

Tifosi24
05-08-07, 09:22 AM
Eliminating the Red Line was intended to help teams break the trap. The trap makes for such boring hockey, typically, that I support any idea to open up the game. Wasn't it a blast watching the Oilers of the late 80's? Even though I hated them, it was exciting hockey!

You can't stop the trap, you can only hope to contain it. Eliminating the red line might make the trap harder, but teams in a good system will still find a way to choke the neutral zone. If anyone wants a classic example of how the trap can work under the new rules, look no further than the 2003 and 2004 National Champion Denver Pioneers. Their trap, and goalies, were the only reason they won the national championships, because they lacked any star players, and the woman Matt Carle doesn't count. The only way to deep that system is by playing pond hockey, which Mankato does, the only problem is that you have an equal chance of getting murdered by the team playing the trap.

After my long rant, I agree with a lot of what devilmaster says because the NHL is no where near what it could be. I am a much bigger fan of college hockey, because it is a lot more exciting and all the game mean a lot more. After watching a ton of hockey since I got cable a couple months ago, I can say that the NHL has to further emphasis obstruction. I certainly don't want the whole game to be played with the special teams lines, but until you re-program these guys the "gimmicks" won't work. The checking from behind major in college hockey is really cleaning up the game along the boards and adding a little more skill into the game.

And, the best thing that can happen for hockey is if Gery Bettman goes away, sooner much rather than later.

tllips
05-08-07, 09:47 AM
Agreed on cracking down on the obstruction and Gary Bettman!

devilmaster
05-08-07, 02:46 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=206912&hubname=

Manitoba Tories promise to lure in NHL

Canadian Press

5/7/2007 1:06:04 PM

WINNIPEG (CP) - Manitoba's provincial election campaign has turned its attention to hockey with the Conservatives promising to bring the NHL back to Winnipeg.

Standing alongside former Winnipeg Jet Thomas Steen, Tory Leader Hugh McFadyen said he'll work with the private sector to bring back the team, who left Manitoba a decade ago.

McFadyen won't say how much taxpayer money he'd be willing to put up, but says the government could follow Manitoba Hydro's example and raise money by issuing bonds.

He also says he would consider a special lottery to raise money as well as a players tax similar to one implemented in Alberta at one time.

The Tory leader says an NHL team would make Manitoba more attractive to young people and help stem the tide of university graduates who leave for Alberta.

dando
05-08-07, 02:49 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=206912&hubname=

Maybe we can pay 'em to take ours. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Ankf00
05-08-07, 02:58 PM
The Tory leader says an NHL team would make Manitoba more attractive to young people and help stem the tide of university graduates who leave for Alberta.

:rolleyes:

TKGAngel
05-08-07, 03:08 PM

Is Canada really that much different from the US in terms of why college graduates leave one area and go to another? I would think employment ops, affordable housing and other factors weigh more heavily than whether there is an NHL team or not. Just curious.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Columnists/Brennan_Don/2007/05/08/4162036.html
Sens fans should be glad to know that their goalie is concerned about what he's going to do on his days off.

dando
05-08-07, 04:31 PM
http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Columnists/Brennan_Don/2007/05/08/4162036.html
Sens fans should be glad to know that their goalie is concerned about what he's going to do on his days off.

That's like Rex Grossman being concerned about New Year's Eve plans during da Bears last game of the season. :laugh:

-Kevin

Tifosi24
05-08-07, 04:40 PM
Is Canada really that much different from the US in terms of why college graduates leave one area and go to another? I would think employment ops, affordable housing and other factors weigh more heavily than whether there is an NHL team or not. Just curious.

There is actually some evidence from labor and urban economic studies that greater numbers of "attractions" have an effect on bringing people into one city over the other. These types of studies are hard to interpret at times because they literally have hundreds of variables. I don't necessarily buy into the strength of these statements, but I guess conceivably if two cities were exactly alike in all other categories you could go with the one that has more things to do. Most of these studies suggest that lack of pollution, and an overall clean environment, has a much greater effect than how many sports teams you have.

dando
05-13-07, 03:09 PM
Giant Slugs are in serious do do after losing two @ home. :eek:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
05-13-07, 03:25 PM
Giant Slugs are in serious do do after losing two @ home. :eek:

-Kevin

So much word. If the team doesn't put together a consistent 60 minutes of hockey, they aren't going to win a game, let alone a series. Ruff had a 'come to jeebus' meeting with Briere before Game 2; looks like he may have to have one with the whole team before Game 3. Taking stupid penalties, making stupid giveaways while trying to make the fancy play, and not putting shots on net do not make a winning hockey team.

One thing I've learned quickly these past couple of days is that a Sabres message board meltdown makes an OC/TF/CCF meltdown look like child's play.

dando
05-13-07, 04:35 PM
So much word. If the team doesn't put together a consistent 60 minutes of hockey, they aren't going to win a game, let alone a series. Ruff had a 'come to jeebus' meeting with Briere before Game 2; looks like he may have to have one with the whole team before Game 3. Taking stupid penalties, making stupid giveaways while trying to make the fancy play, and not putting shots on net do not make a winning hockey team.

One thing I've learned quickly these past couple of days is that a Sabres message board meltdown makes an OC/TF/CCF meltdown look like child's play.

The is a Phillyesque debacle. I nominate y'all as honorary Phlyers . ;) :gomer:

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
05-13-07, 04:54 PM
Watching Buffalo fans whine after a loss is more entertaining than the games themselves.

Slugs fans are basically the commatards of hockey.

TKGAngel
05-13-07, 10:32 PM
Honorary Phlyer and commatard labels in one day? I'm touched! :D

Dr. Corkski
05-15-07, 10:38 AM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9188/fulljgetty74130400rb013ua0.jpg

OMG he was in the crease! :laugh:

TKGAngel
05-15-07, 11:43 AM
The only person I feel sorry for after last night's debacle is Ryan Miller. He did everything but stand on his head and burp the alphabet, while his teammates gave little to no effort. It was because of him that the game wasn't 8-0. :irked:

I would also like to have a moment of silence for the couch that died so Don Cherry could have his newest suit coat.

ETA: Cork, that puck was going to go in irregardless of whether or not Alfreddson touched it. Alfie also gets an Academy Award for his attempts to conjure blood after getting a stick in the puss.

devilmaster
05-15-07, 11:46 AM
I would also like to have a moment of silence for the couch that died so Don Cherry could have his newest suit coat.

:rofl:

I think he wanted a tartan jacket that matched the old Team Canada Olympic jersey.

http://www.hhof.com/grapholy02/press04.jpg

TKGAngel
05-21-07, 12:21 PM
NBC showed this weekend that the NHL is about as important as Champcar racing in the national sports landscape. Except in Buffalo, they bumped OT of a series-deciding game to Versus so that the Preakness pre-race could be shown. I wonder how much audience was lost by that brilliant decision. :flame:

dando
05-21-07, 12:27 PM
NBC showed this weekend that the NHL is about as important as Champcar racing in the national sports landscape. Except in Buffalo, they bumped OT of a series-deciding game to Versus so that the Preakness pre-race could be shown. I wonder how much audience was lost by that brilliant decision. :flame:

Yeah, I just finished yardwork listening to the game on the radio when I flipped on the tube to see the post-game exchange, and found Bob Costas on instead for the pre-race crapola. :saywhat:

Sorry about yer luck, honorary Phlyers. ;)

-Kevin

TKGAngel
05-21-07, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I just finished yardwork listening to the game on the radio when I flipped on the tube to see the post-game exchange, and found Bob Costas on instead for the pre-race crapola. :saywhat:

Sorry about yer luck, honorary Phlyers. ;)

-Kevin

Thanks. The game was on during my company golf outing. My foursome had a little TV we were using to watch the game on. (I don't recommend trying to drive a golf cart and watch TV at the same time, BTW). Lets just say that after the game ended, the golf got worse and the drinking got heavier. ;)

The offseason's going to be interesting. Ruff/Regier and Drury/Briere are all up for new contracts. While Ruff and Regier are a lock to be resigned, I hope that Drury gets the nod over Briere. Nothing against Danny, I just think Drury brings a lot more to the ice and the locker room.

tllips
05-21-07, 12:50 PM

AND, There was over an HOUR of Pre-race coverage before the actual post time! :flame: Luckily, I caught them showing a graphic for Vs. on the screen as I was walking through the room during the intermission, so when I walked through again and saw horse coverage, I thought "That graphic must have been telling us to switch." So I caught the OT. If I hadn't seen the graphic, I would have thought I just missed the OT and someone scored really fast to end it.
:\

I could understand cutting to the horse race if they werew up against the post time, but not for an hour of showing rich people in the stands.

devilmaster
05-23-07, 04:25 PM
Getting press today in Detroit is that Chelios refused to join the post series lineup to shake hands.

Is it me, or all the old hockey traditions going by the wayside? :shakehead

greenie
05-27-07, 02:26 AM
Chelios is a poor sport, but badass nevertheless.

And I agree completely that hockey traditions are falling by the wayside - and exhibit "A" IMO is Brett Hull thinking he's gotta be Deon Sanders and act like a controversial idiot in the booth. Pathetic. :shakehead

See ya at Honda Center Wednesday - and at Scotiabank Place next weekend. Looking forward to seeing the Ottawa scene in person. :tony:

Geaux Ducks. :beer:

TKGAngel
05-27-07, 12:08 PM
Chelios is a poor sport, but badass nevertheless.

And I agree completely that hockey traditions are falling by the wayside - and exhibit "A" IMO is Brett Hull thinking he's gotta be Deon Sanders and act like a controversial idiot in the booth. Pathetic. :shakehead

See ya at Honda Center Wednesday - and at Scotiabank Place next weekend. Looking forward to seeing the Ottawa scene in person. :tony:

Geaux Ducks. :beer:

Chelios skips handshake due to "fear of blacking out" (http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey/playoffs2007/story.html?id=b74022cf-8476-4930-af82-f0a033f6d67a&k=47308).

I'm rooting for Ottawa, if only because they're the team that beat Buffalo, and because of this (http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=96d7257a-062a-450d-b67a-9344a27212f4). On the other hand, it bugs me that Ray Emery could get a Cup before Ryan Miller. :irked:

greenie
05-27-07, 05:14 PM
Chelios skips handshake due to "fear of blacking out" (http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey/playoffs2007/story.html?id=b74022cf-8476-4930-af82-f0a033f6d67a&k=47308).

I'm rooting for Ottawa, if only because they're the team that beat Buffalo, and because of this (http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=96d7257a-062a-450d-b67a-9344a27212f4). On the other hand, it bugs me that Ray Emery could get a Cup before Ryan Miller. :irked:

I half-buy the Chelios excuse - I had forgotten about the shoot up at his restaraunt. But the story about the little kid is absolutely heartbreaking.

On a lighter note, how's this working out:

http://www.punkoryan.com/images/nov06/rj_pronger_fans_06web.jpg

Ankf00
05-28-07, 12:29 AM
am I the only one who's peeved everytime he sees Dany Heatley's name on TV?

the guy belongs in prison. instead he makes millions and is about to have his name on the Cup.

Dr. Corkski
05-28-07, 09:37 PM
am I the only one who's peeved everytime he sees Dany Heatley's name on TV?

the guy belongs in prison. instead he makes millions and is about to have his name on the Cup.Heatley is just a jackass that had the car control of the average Champ Car driver.

He is nothing compared to the known criminal and psycho that is actually allowed to own a team on Long Island.

TKGAngel
05-28-07, 09:46 PM
Heatley is just a jackass that had the car control of the average Champ Car driver.

He is nothing compared to the known criminal and psycho that is actually allowed to own a team on Long Island.

Is that the same psycho that promoted his goalie to GM and signed another goalie to a 15 year deal?

I give a lot of credit to the Snyder family for forgiving Heatley and supporting him during this whole time. How many of us could be that charitable?

greenie
05-28-07, 11:39 PM
As someone who's admittedly hopped into more than my fair share of automobiles w/a friend under the influence driving, I assumed the risk and if it was my bad luck that day I'd certainly not blame the driver. I give Heatley a pass particularly since Snyder's family did.

Not to change the subject, but that was a GREAT game tonight. :cool:

Dr. Corkski
05-29-07, 02:06 AM
Ray Emery sucks.

TKGAngel
05-29-07, 09:08 AM
Not to change the subject, but that was a GREAT game tonight. :cool:

I agree. Anaheim did a good job of shutting down the Spezza/Alfredsson/Heatley line. If I were a Sens fan, I could imagine my blood pressure going up everytime Emery wandered from the crease. Some of the puck handling decisions he made last night were a little questionable.

Drew Miller was a force to be reckoned with on the first Anaheim goal, while his big brother looked like he'd rather be anywhere but in Anaheim.

Only bad thing about the night was Steven Stills' rendition of the anthem.

Dr. Corkski
05-31-07, 09:30 PM
If I were a Sens fan, I could imagine my blood pressure going up everytime Emery wandered from the crease. Some of the puck handling decisions he made last night were a little questionable.You say that like he is any better inside the crease. :rofl:

Ankf00
05-31-07, 11:59 PM
400K eyeballs for a stanley cup finals match. :shakehead

TKGAngel
06-01-07, 08:46 AM
400K eyeballs for a stanley cup finals match. :shakehead

That's what, a 0.3 or a 0.4 rating?

You say that like he is any better inside the crease.

Average goalie with a good defense to bail him out.

Tifosi24
06-01-07, 09:15 AM
Average goalie with a good defense to bail him out.

Good defense?? His defense was unreal in game one and two. Volchenkov (sp?) blocked almost as many shots as Emery saved. Emery is at best a serviceable goalie, and in the finals so far the GTG in Game 1 and Paulsson's GWG in Game 2 were soft goals. Paulsson (MVP)'s checking line and Emery will be the reason Ottawa loses this series in 5 games. The ratings are terrible for the playoffs. I don't know what the NHL can do to improve them, but they need to get off of Versus, it is like Champ Car being on Spike.

If the Spelling Bee can get Primetime on ABC (and pre-empt Grey's Crappiness) then hockey can at least find its way onto a station that doesn't have ultimate fighting commercials every two minutes.

Ankf00
06-01-07, 09:21 AM
WORLD EXTREME CAGE FIGHTING!!11ONEONE11!

IT'S EXTREME!!!!!

:tony:

dando
06-01-07, 11:40 AM
Ray Emery sucks.

Bring back Tugnutt! :D

-Kevin

Tifosi24
06-03-07, 07:25 PM
How can Pronger only get one game for his brutal hit last night. This is his second suspension of the post-season, and should at least be two games. I don't believe the Ducks organization when they say they aren't a dirty team. In my eyes, Brad May should still be sitting for his chickens@@t attack on Kim Johnsson in the first round; and once they get down big in a game they start taking runs at everyone. I would like to see the Ducks win the Cup, because there is a former Maverick on the squad, but after last night's game I hope the Senators can win three in a row. Pronger clearly isn't able to lighten up by knocking up coeds this year, so he needs to lay down dirty hits on opponents this post-season.

greenie
06-04-07, 12:54 AM
I have to report back after attending game 3 in Ottawa. :tony:

a) The crowd there was very impressive, and fortunately we made friends quickly despite our Duck sweaters. ;

b) Pronger's suspension is justified IMO - but there's a deja vu aspect that's undeniable;

c) Ottawa is a hockey crazy town - and beautiful $$$$;

d) The Ducks are going to win the Stanley Cup IMO - Book it; and

e) Looking forward to Game 5 back here. :thumbup:

TKGAngel
06-04-07, 12:12 PM
How can Pronger only get one game for his brutal hit last night. This is his second suspension of the post-season, and should at least be two games. I don't believe the Ducks organization when they say they aren't a dirty team. In my eyes, Brad May should still be sitting for his chickens@@t attack on Kim Johnsson in the first round; and once they get down big in a game they start taking runs at everyone. I would like to see the Ducks win the Cup, because there is a former Maverick on the squad, but after last night's game I hope the Senators can win three in a row. Pronger clearly isn't able to lighten up by knocking up coeds this year, so he needs to lay down dirty hits on opponents this post-season.

I thought it was an Edmonton TV anchor Pronger was getting biblical with?

I think the NHL was right to suspend Pronger, but wrong in not calling a penalty on the play. If the NHL can make and enforce a high-sticking standard, then they should make (and enforce!) a hits to the head one.

They should also revisit the "intentional kicking motion" rule, but that's another topic for another post.

Dr. Corkski
06-04-07, 02:58 PM
I think the NHL was right to suspend Pronger, but wrong in not calling a penalty on the play. If the NHL can make and enforce a high-sticking standard, then they should make (and enforce!) a hits to the head one.He was suspended for the elbow.

TKGAngel
06-04-07, 03:22 PM
He was suspended for the elbow.

I probably should have clarified in my original post, but I was referring to an in-game penalty. High-sticking (whether intentional or not) has the 2/4 minute penalty. Maybe they need to do a similar thing for hits to the head?

greenie
06-05-07, 12:31 AM
He was suspended for the elbow.

If that was an elbow, let's just agree to declare forearms irrelevant.

The refs were horrific in this game IMO - but I can't bitch that much since the Ducks won.

Ottawa has reverted into a flopping, soccer-hockey team, and they deserve the ouster that is up and coming forthwith. Too bad because their fans are money.

See you at the Game 5. JT Schmidt's a boot 3:00 pdt. :beer:

Tifosi24
06-05-07, 09:10 AM
If that was an elbow, let's just agree to declare forearms irrelevant.

First, it was an elbow, and second, even if it was his forearm it was still roughing--contact to the head and interference because he impeded the players movement to the puck. He is a repeat offender and still deserved more than one game for the hit.

Ottawa did not play an honorable game last night with all of their flopping and thinking that Niedermeyer is the goal, but it is funny having Duck fans crow about unhonorable play. At the end of the day, if Ray Emery is just slightly better this series is completely different, but he is not. He can still fight though.

Chief
06-05-07, 09:50 AM
Anyone hear GRAPES last night on the US telecast? Between the 2nd and 3rd him and Brett Hull were mixing it up about how the US networks (NBC) have requested to dumbdown the sport to make it more paletable via no fighting or goonism. He called out NBC's DICK EBERSOL to let 'em play hockey the way it's supposed to be played.

I agree with them both....hockey's a tough sport and fighting is a part of it. Let 'em fly if you gotta let 'em fly. :thumbup:

dando
06-05-07, 10:56 AM
Anyone hear GRAPES last night on the US telecast? Between the 2nd and 3rd him and Brett Hull were mixing it up about how the US networks (NBC) have requested to dumbdown the sport to make it more paletable via no fighting or goonism. He called out NBC's DICK EBERSOL to let 'em play hockey the way it's supposed to be played.

I agree with them both....hockey's a tough sport and fighting is a part of it. Let 'em fly if you gotta let 'em fly. :thumbup:

Classic Cherry (but duds were too tame). :thumbup: Hull should STFU. :saywhat: :thumdown:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
06-05-07, 11:42 AM
Classic Cherry (but duds were too tame). :thumbup: Hull should STFU. :saywhat: :thumdown:

-Kevin

I love that Cherry told Hull to STFU about controversial goals. However, this game's dud's made Cherry look like Colonel Sanders; while last game made him look like he was wearing someone's drapes or a throw pillow.

What did you guys think about Alfredsson intentionally shooting the puck at Niedermayer?

Andrew Longman
06-05-07, 12:18 PM
I gave Ottawa the edge in this series and was surprised the fell behind. After one, last night I thought they were the more determined team and were going to tie up the series when they got that late goal.

But the way the Ducks came out and went up 2-1 in the second it was clear they were reapplying the foot firmly on the Sen's throat.

Game, Set, Match.

Still its been a great physical, fast series.

As an aside, I am so glad Disney sold the Ducks and they dropped the "Mighty" crap and cartoon logo. Especially now that it looks like they will adorn the Stanley Cup.

I've always was thinking about some poor kid skating on a pond in Manitoba dreaming of making the NHL someday. And then he makes it. He's drafted and sure to make the team... except he has to wear some Michael Eisner nightmare sweater with Donald Duck on it. He has to call his mom and tell her he's playing for the frickin Might Ducks.:rolleyes:

greenie
06-05-07, 06:19 PM
What did you guys think about Alfredsson intentionally shooting the puck at Niedermayer?

That was a blatantly dirty play that warranted a penalty IMO. One of many calls that the refs blew yesterday. How that was missed by all of the refs is astonishing. Helene Elliot has a nice column in the LA Times today about the poor officiating last night.

And to Tifosi, I don't know who you are talking about but IMO the Pronger suspension was warranted (see a couple posts above if you don't believe me). The Ducks have played dirty here and there in the playoffs, and have generally paid the price. On Pronger's first suspension, Rob N. got a game misconduct and then Pronger got suspended - double whammy (although the game was way out of reach at the time of the hit). The Ducks are fully justified in complaining about crapola refereeing whether they play dirty or not when the opponent is playing dirty as well but is not paying the price in penalties.

dando
06-05-07, 08:21 PM
We must be the only ones watching this shizzle...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2007/news/story?id=2894490

:(

-Kevin

TKGAngel
06-06-07, 08:13 AM
We must be the only ones watching this shizzle...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2007/news/story?id=2894490

:(

-Kevin

Today's Buffalo Snooze reports that Buffalo averaged a 9.0 for Monday's game, and peaked at a 14.6 at the end of the game. Highest ratings in the country, and that does not include the point or so that CBC pulls in here.

dando
06-06-07, 08:51 AM
Today's Buffalo Snooze reports that Buffalo averaged a 9.0 for Monday's game, and peaked at a 14.6 at the end of the game. Highest ratings in the country, and that does not include the point or so that CBC pulls in here.

Yeah, but y'all still have a foot of snow on the ground. ;) :p

I'm sure the markets that have teams like Buffalo and Detroit pulled bigger rating than cities w/o teams like Chicago and Cbus.... :D

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
06-06-07, 11:53 AM
Ray Emery sucks.

Tifosi24
06-06-07, 12:19 PM
Ray Emery sucks.

Seconded.

Ankf00
06-06-07, 12:29 PM
So I guess this means we're letting Canadia annex Buffalo along with MN

devilmaster
06-08-07, 05:54 PM
Wetz hits another dinger.... :rofl:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AhXpdIHMV7on1iNOpCJm0e45nYcB?slug=dw-nhlexpansion060807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

In the wake of a Stanley Cup playoffs that broke records for irrelevance and low ratings, with empty seats in both new and established markets, coming off the infamous “Preakness Game” that highlighted the worst TV package in sports, the worst commissioner in sports and the lingering hangover from two suicidal lockouts, what does the NHL think is the answer?

Expansion.

If this wasn’t the NHL, we’d think it was a joke. But as the Sports Business Journal reported, the league is moving toward adding a 31st and 32nd franchise in those noted hockey hotbeds of Las Vegas and Kansas City.

Yes, that ought to do it.

Hey, instead of trying to fix the apathy in your current markets, why not add new ones. Las Vegas may be good news for Janet Gretzky and Rick Tocchet, but since the NHL can’t beat Law & Order reruns, what chance does it have against The Strip?

Look, if the league wants to further strangle itself with expansion, why not Chicago? It hasn’t had a team since Bill Wirtz disbanded the Blackhawks in the mid-1990s.

Only the NHL could even dream this stuff up. The league needs to contract, not expand. It needs to improve the product, not disperse the talent, dilute rivalries and provide another slap at the game’s tradition.

cameraman
06-08-07, 06:21 PM
Hey, instead of trying to fix the apathy in your current markets, why not add new ones. Las Vegas may be good news for Janet Gretzky and Rick Tocchet, but since the NHL can’t beat Law & Order reruns, what chance does it have against The Strip?
Clark County is approaching 2 million people. That is a lot of locals to draw a from. They don't have NBA, NFL or MLB. It will be the only game in town.

chop456
06-08-07, 07:10 PM
Look, if the league wants to further strangle itself with expansion, why not Chicago? It hasn’t had a team since Bill Wirtz disbanded the Blackhawks in the mid-1990s.

Smack!

Couldn't be more correct. :thumbup:

dando
06-15-07, 04:18 PM
They might actually play pro hockey again in Ontario in the near future:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2902957

:gomer: :p

-Kevin

TKGAngel
06-15-07, 06:48 PM

-Kevin

Toronto had a nutty when Buffalo entered the league 37 years ago. And we're two hours away from them. There's no way Toronto's going to let a team practically into their backyard without large sums of cash changing hands. Same with Buffalo.

greenie
06-16-07, 12:29 AM

"Awesome, totally awesome! All right Hamilton" (cue Oingo Boingo Goodbye, Goodbye)