PDA

View Full Version : what is wrong with this place?

Pages : 1 [2]

devilmaster
06-20-07, 12:15 AM
Hull Leaves as NBC analyst. :thumbup:

Hull leaves NBC

Brett Hull is leaving NBC after only one season as an NHL studio analyst. An NBC spokesperson confirmed the former NHL star has decided to depart the network after working with host Bill Clement and analyst Ray Ferraro. Hull is expected to take on an increased front-office role with the Dallas Stars. He has been serving as a special assistant to Stars' President Jim Lites since April 2006.

Hull, who spent 19 seasons in the NHL after playing college hockey at Minnesota Duluth, was considered a perfect fit for a broadcasting position because of his willingness to speak his mind. During the Stanley Cup Finals, NBC paired Hull and outspoken CBC studio analyst Don Cherry between periods during one game in an attempt to increase fan interest.

NBC executives will now begin to explore their options for replacing Hull. One potential scenario could see NBC pursue Jeremy Roenick, who could retire after spending 18 seasons in the NHL. Roenick, like Hull, always has been known for speaking his mind.

JUDD ZULGAD

http://www.startribune.com/wild/story/1253698.html

Dr. Corkski
06-20-07, 12:19 AM
They are going to replace Hull with Roenick? That would be about as good as replacing Daly with Goodyear. :laugh:

devilmaster
06-20-07, 12:25 AM
Ya I laughed at that too. :rofl:

If you're looking to copy cherry, and you can't get him on a regular basis, then go for someone who had to fight hard to be in top level of this game. A guy who can rant with the best of them. A guy that maybe is just a little too dangerous without a 5 second delay.

First guy that comes to mind? Tiger Williams :D

Or else you get Cassie Campbell and overexpose the hell out of her. :cool:

TKGAngel
06-20-07, 11:47 AM
CNN says that Hull is taking a position with the Stars now that his broadcasting career is over.

Rumor also has it that New Year's Day 2008 will feature an outdoor game played in either Detroit, Buffalo or Pittsburgh.

dando
06-20-07, 12:14 PM
Douger Mac is looking fer work now. :gomer: :)

TKG, is this yer kinfolk?

http://channels.isp.netscape.com/news/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/0001/20070618/1744377639.htm

Reptile experts removed an 8-foot-long, 170-pound alligator from the basement of a Buffalo home and planned to drive it to a Florida sanctuary in the back of a minivan.

;)

-Kevin

TKGAngel
06-20-07, 12:24 PM
Douger Mac is looking fer work now. :gomer: :)

TKG, is this yer kinfolk?

-Kevin

Heh. Nope, not my kinfolk. I would love to know where in Buffalo this was. The media's not reporting the location of the house with the alligator.

On a related note, my part of town had an alligator end up in a creek a couple of years ago. "Scajaquada Jack" eluded animal control for 4-days before being caught.

dando
06-20-07, 12:51 PM
On a related note, my part of town had an alligator end up in a creek a couple of years ago. "Scajaquada Jack" eluded animal control for 4-days before being caught.

Prolly figgered out it was too damn cold and turned hisself in. ;)

-Kevin

dando
06-23-07, 12:26 AM
Ya had to love the greeting Buttmen received from the crowd in Cbus for the NHL draft tonight. :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

-Kevin

dando
06-29-07, 05:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2921133

Well, here we go again. Glad we had that lockout to fix the NHL's problems permanently. :mad: Apparently the player's union reps met with Donald Fehr recently, and they ended up invoking a clause that allows them to increase the cap by 5%. Fehr almost wrecked baseball, so now I guess he wants to wreck another sport. :irked:

Also, word is that the NYR want to drop $8mm for Scotty Gomez. :saywhat:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
06-29-07, 06:35 PM
Also, word is that the NYR want to drop $8mm for Scotty Gomez. :saywhat:
-Kevin

Danny Briere wants $7 mil and a 4-6 year deal. Told the Sabres to kiss off at a 5/5 deal. :saywhat:

These deals are getting ridiculous. Yes, they are highly talented athletes, but do they really deserve this kind of cash?

greenie
06-30-07, 04:24 AM
3vtFn8yZ2EU

:cool:

Hardcore punk rock and hockey (and rink skanks) is a formula we can all agree on?

:cool:

JT265
06-30-07, 11:46 AM
First guy that comes to mind? Tiger Williams :D

Too many concussions. Have you seen Tiger lately? He'd make Mumbles sound lucid and well informed. :laugh:

TKGAngel
07-01-07, 03:59 PM
Danny Briere signed for $52 million from Philly for 8 years, with $10 mil the first year. :irked: :yuck:

I knew Philly had money, but I didn't know they had enough to double Briere's salary. And an 8 year deal. Wow.

dando
07-01-07, 06:13 PM
Danny Briere signed for $52 million from Philly for 8 years, with $10 mil the first year. :irked: :yuck:

I knew Philly had money, but I didn't know they had enough to double Briere's salary. And an 8 year deal. Wow.

Looks like Booby Clarke is still pulling the strings in Philly. :saywhat: **** 'im. :mad:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
07-01-07, 06:37 PM
Looks like Booby Clarke is still pulling the strings in Philly. :saywhat: **** 'im. :mad:

-Kevin

Briere also said he turned down Montreal because he would have to play 2nd fiddle to Koivu, and he's done with the second banana role. Philly is now "his team" to lead. I hope Gagne sits on him.

dando
07-01-07, 07:15 PM
Briere also said he turned down Montreal because he would have to play 2nd fiddle to Koivu, and he's done with the second banana role. Philly is now "his team" to lead. I hope Gagne sits on him.

I hope Philly fan that fell over the glass w/Domi in the sin bin sits on him. :gomer: :D

-Kevin

TKGAngel
07-01-07, 07:23 PM
I hope Philly fan that fell over the glass w/Domi in the sin bin sits on him. :gomer: :D

-Kevin

Heh. Philly's making quite the ruckus today. First Briere, now Jason Smith and Lupul from Edmonton.

Dr. Corkski
07-01-07, 08:09 PM
Both Drury and Gomez end up on Broadway.

Slugs should have tied him up for $5mil for 5 years when they had the chance last year. :laugh:

TKGAngel
07-01-07, 08:26 PM
Both Drury and Gomez end up on Broadway.

Slugs should have tied him up for $5mil for 5 years when they had the chance last year. :laugh:

I'm trying to be like Ryan Miller and be all Zen about the whole thing, but the Drury loss hurts more than Briere. :irked:

And the Rangers could be screwed if Lundqvist gets an offer. They've got 21 mil of next years cap amount tied up in 3 people.

Tifosi24
07-01-07, 11:02 PM
Hockey fans should be insanely angry with the rampant increases in salaries. Now, can someone remind me again why there was a strike? Bettman needs to slip into a deep coma and never regain consciousness.

jonovision_man
07-01-07, 11:07 PM
They are going to replace Hull with Roenick? That would be about as good as replacing Daly with Goodyear. :laugh:

Roenick did some stuff on TSN during this year's playoffs.

He was awesome! :thumbup: Entertaining as heck.

jono

jonovision_man
07-01-07, 11:09 PM
Hockey fans should be insanely angry with the rampant increases in salaries. Now, can someone remind me again why there was a strike?

OK. Reminder: the owners wanted a salary cap that was tired to revenues. Now they have one.

Revenues go up, salaries go up. I can live with that, why should the owners get to keep all the extra money?

It's been far better than pre-strike, much more parity in the league, teams like Toronto that used to get by on throwing money around are suffering... you need to scout and develop players to be successful now.

jono

devilmaster
07-02-07, 12:04 AM
OK. Reminder: the owners wanted a salary cap that was tired to revenues. Now they have one.

Revenues go up, salaries go up. I can live with that, why should the owners get to keep all the extra money?

It's been far better than pre-strike, much more parity in the league, teams like Toronto that used to get by on throwing money around are suffering... you need to scout and develop players to be successful now.

jono

But the other side of that coin is that there is a minimum salary too. And small market teams once again can't seem to afford players, like buffalo.

And what's the point of developing and scouting players, cause its now likely that once they hit their prime at 25-27, its entirely possible for them to become UFA's?

Philly is showing you the new NHL. bad year? dump your salaries - then offseason overpay players with front end loaded contracts. Philly isn't scouting and developing players, they're buying them. How is that different from teams like Toronto and Detroit before? If you have a bad year, wipe the team clean, and see who goes to shop the free agent market.

The major issue is that the strike/lockout didn't solve the problem. Owners/GM's are still overpaying for talent. That right there is why the strike/lockout happened. Cause 30 guys couldn't control themselves or their spending. Last year, a $850,000 young center was given a RFA offer sheet of 1.9 million. He had only scored 15 or so goals. Now this player who should have made less than a mill, gets near 2. Well, now every player who gets 15 goals and is a center will demand 1.9 million also.

Now every player who matches Briere's point total in a final year of their contract can ask for 10 mill their next year. Salaries are going back up. And what happens when the cap gets frozen? Salaries will still go up. Why? Because 1 team will still be able to pay it. One team will dump salary to get that one guy. And they'll overpay. I doubt you'll see a Steve Yzerman again. Great player on one team for his career.

And we roll on till the next labour stoppage. Cause its coming. This last strike didn't solve anything. Thanks Bettman. This is the league you envisioned. This is the league you developed.

F**k you bettman.

jonovision_man
07-02-07, 08:03 AM
Here is the difference:

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2003-04

2003/04 team salaries:

Detroit Red Wings $ 77,856,109
New York Rangers $ 76,488,716
Dallas Stars $ 68,578,885
Philadelphia Flyers $ 68,175,247

Minnesota Wild $ 27,200,500
Florida Panthers $ 26,127,500
Pittsburgh Penguins $ 23,400,000
Nashville Predators $ 21,932,500

You had Detroit out-spending Nashville by the 2006-07 total cap!

Compare to:

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2006-07

2005-06 team salaries:

New Jersey Devils $ 49,608,766
Calgary Flames $ 45,831,400
New York Rangers $ 45,050,760
Dallas Stars $ 43,877,000
San Jose Sharks $ 43,856,000

Florida Panthers $ 37,606,280
Phoenix Coyotes $ 37,030,600
Columbus Blue Jackets $ 36,910,000
St. Louis Blues $ 33,679,600
Washington Capitals $ 29,728,412
Pittsburgh Penguins $ 26,293,273

Calgary Flames?? :eek:

It isn't perfect, there will always be free agency and some disparity, but it's much much better than what we used to have. Most of the teams are within $10M or so of the spender, not an entire other payroll behind...

Salaries can't go up that much, and teams will be rewarded for balancing who to spend their money on. Phili way overpaid for Briere, and it will cost them cap space, just like it cost the Leafs by handing a juicy contract to McCabe.

jono

TKGAngel
07-02-07, 08:44 AM
I just realized that for me to make Briere's average salary, I would need to work for 240 years. :cry:

But the other side of that coin is that there is a minimum salary too. And small market teams once again can't seem to afford players, like buffalo.
I think most Buffalo fans are not blaming the Drury / Briere fiasco on small market status. Management waited 6 weeks to contact the two of them, offered Briere no raise, tried to play both ends against the middle, and what was the result? Two more people added to the list of former Buffalo players disgruntled with the organization (Peca, Hasek, Grier, even LaFontaine to an extent) and disgruntled fans looking to throw management off the Buffalo Skyway and into Lake Erie.

Food for thought: based on the money thrown around yesterday (and likely today), what is Crosby going to make when he becomes an FA? That could break someone's bank for sure.

Dr. Corkski
07-02-07, 10:53 AM
Roenick did some stuff on TSN during this year's playoffs.

He was awesome! :thumbup: Entertaining as heck.

jono:saywhat:

Go see your doctor now. You are clearly suffering severe post concussion syndromes.

jonovision_man
07-02-07, 12:25 PM
You didn't like JR on TSN? He was hilarious, especially with Duthie, they had a great rapport. Different strokes I guess. :)

Edmonton reportedly picks up Nylander, and swap Smith/Lupul for Sanderson/Pitkanen! :thumbup: Small market team, getting ready for another cup run? ;)

jono

greenie
07-03-07, 02:37 AM
Ducks signed Bertuzzi. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dr. Corkski
07-03-07, 10:57 AM
Edmonton reportedly picks up Nylander:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TKGAngel
07-03-07, 03:27 PM
Hockeybuzz (yea, I know), is reporting the Isles are going to make a major trade to a western team. What the heck have they got left to trade? DiPietro and the contract that ate Long Island?

Dr. Corkski
07-06-07, 12:00 PM
Hockeybuzz (yea, I know), is reporting the Isles are going to make a major trade to a western team. What the heck have they got left to trade? DiPietro and the contract that ate Long Island?Yeah they did. :laugh:

They traded the Oilers' own 3rd rounder back to Edmonton for the Anaheim 2nd rounder, just so Kevin Lowe could use it to sign Vanek to an offer sheet. :rofl:

jonovision_man
07-06-07, 01:01 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

Don't even get me started... :irked:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Edmonton/2007/07/04/4311801-sun.html

"The Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club is compelled to clarify the unfortunate and unprecedented circumstances surrounding the Edmonton Oilers and Michael Nylander," the statement began.

"On Sunday, July 1, 2007, Kevin Lowe, Oilers General Manager, and Mr. Mike Gillis, Certified Agent for Michael Nylander, negotiated and agreed to a multi-year NHL Standard Players Contract, starting in 2007/08. Mr. Gillis confirmed same to the Oilers in writing.

"The Oilers then proceeded with preparations to announce Mr. Nylander's contract agreement on July 2, and concurrently continued with the process of negotiating with other free agents based upon Mr. Nylander being an important roster ingredient for the future.

"However, while the Oilers were expecting the returned, signed agreements from Mr. Nylander and Mr. Gillis, the Oilers discovered through public announcements made mid-afternoon on July 2, that Mr. Nylander had subsequently entered into a long-term contract with the Capitals.

"The Oilers can find no precedent for such conduct in our history. The Oilers are examining and pursuing every course of action available in the best interest of the team and our fans. For legal reasons, the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club will not be discussing the details any further at this time."

Really screwed up the Oil... they may have lost out on other players thinking they had Nylander when he was busy screwing them over. :thumdown:

jono

dando
07-06-07, 01:32 PM
Don't even get me started... :irked:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Edmonton/2007/07/04/4311801-sun.html

Really screwed up the Oil... they may have lost out on other players thinking they had Nylander when he was busy screwing them over. :thumdown:

jono

Nice. Sounds like the Cavs and Carlos Boozer redux. :laugh:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
07-06-07, 01:42 PM
If Regier would not have matched Edmonton's offer on Vanek, there would have been a riot in downtown Buffalo.

New rumor is that Lowe is going to try the same stunt with NJ and Parise or Anaheim and Penner.

Dr. Corkski
07-06-07, 01:43 PM
Not true.

Nylander signed for less money to go to Washington. He was set to sign the Edmonton offer until his wife went Lauren Pronger on him, can't really blame her either. Nobody in their right mind wants to deal with the Oilers nowdays without being ridiculously overpaid anyways.

Lowe is just a whiney moron and it showed with that offer sheet for Vanek.

Dr. Corkski
07-06-07, 01:45 PM
Slugs match the offer sheet. Lowe will probably go after Dustin Penner now.

TKGAngel
07-06-07, 01:54 PM
Slugs match the offer sheet. Lowe will probably go after Dustin Penner now.

What's so bizzare about the Vanek situation is the Sabres told Lowe flat out that they will match. So why did he even make the offer?

I smell desperation out of Edmonton.

ETA: Cork, Lauren Pronger is not the first wife to freak about Edmonton. Kristen Peca did the same thing.

devilmaster
07-06-07, 02:26 PM
So why did he even make the offer?

Lockout/Strike here we come! :irked:

dando
07-13-07, 10:26 PM
More Buttman follies:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=2935189

:saywhat: :shakehead That ****** has got to go. :mad:

-Kevin

ferrarigod
07-13-07, 10:42 PM
More Buttman follies:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=2935189

:saywhat: :shakehead That ****** has got to go. :mad:

-Kevin

there shouldn't be 30 teams, let alone another 2 more. idiotic, but not surprising. no wonder he gets booed and hated at every public event.:thumdown:

TKGAngel
07-14-07, 07:24 AM
32 teams is going to be a bit much. Its bad enough that not every team plays each other every year, but adding two more teams when multiple are struggling just is not good business sense.

At least Bettman is trying to get something right: an outdoor game in Buffalo with the Sabres battling Sid and the Pens.

Tifosi24
07-14-07, 04:53 PM
I wish there was some way that we as fans could get rid of Bettman. The owners need to realize that the expansion into non-hockey markets has been virtually an unmitigated failure. Many of these cities are quality AHL markets, but not NHL material and they get pro franchises. Nashville, Atlanta, Phoenix, Florida should all be folded to help improve quality, or moved immediately to hockey markets. Hamilton and Winnipeg are two cities that come to mind without thinking, and I think you could add Hartford any because we need to bring back The Whale. The final team gets moved to Chicago because they really deserve an NHL team :laugh: .

jonovision_man
07-14-07, 07:09 PM
What's so bizzare about the Vanek situation is the Sabres told Lowe flat out that they will match. So why did he even make the offer?

I smell desperation out of Edmonton.

ETA: Cork, Lauren Pronger is not the first wife to freak about Edmonton. Kristen Peca did the same thing.

***** wipped losers. :D Peca's situation was a little different, his wife stayed in New York while he was playing in Edmonton, it was stupid.

Sheldon Souray signed by the Oilers:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Edmonton/2007/07/12/4334579-cp.html

Great pick-up... still need help up front, but he's a solid D-man.

Favourite quote:

Souray was asked how his wife Angelica felt about moving to Edmonton - a rather touchy subject after Chris Pronger's unhappy wife forced him to ask the Oilers for a trade last summer.

"She's happy," said Souray. "She's familiar with the city - put it that way.

Chicks, man, they **** everything up... Pronger is the best D-man in the NHL.

jono

Dr. Corkski
07-16-07, 07:12 PM
Sheldon Souray signed by the Oilers:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Edmonton/2007/07/12/4334579-cp.html

Great pick-up... still need help up front, but he's a solid D-man.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

devilmaster
08-04-07, 01:11 PM
quietly passed by without anyone noticing or caring (which is kinda a good statement on how well hockey has worked in nashville)

Preds sold to local group for 193 Mill.

http://www.sportsinferno.com/forums/memberlist.php?do=search

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Nashville Predators owner Craig Leipold thinks he's finally sold his NHL franchise, this time to a group of local businessmen and one California venture capitalist that wants to keep the team in Music City.

Leipold announced Wednesday he has signed a letter of intent to sell his team to the local group. The eight partners put down $10 million as a deposit toward the purchase price of $193 million.

"I'm thrilled to death the team is staying here," Leipold said.

The only partner from outside the Nashville area is William "Boots" Del Biaggio III, who will have to sell his minority share in the San Jose Sharks as this deal closes. Leipold said he is excited to pass ownership to a group he knows is committed to Nashville.

"We've certainly, as they say, put our money where our mouth is today," said David Freeman, one of the partners and chief executive officer of 36 Venture Capital LLC.

ADVERTISEMENT
click here
The bid was less than the $220 million offered by Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie when Leipold announced May 24 he had signed a letter of intent to sell his team. But Leipold said Balsillie ruined that deal by trying to move the Predators to Canada before money changed hands.

Balsillie renewed an arena lease in Ontario, took season ticket deposits in Hamilton using the Predators' logo and applied to the NHL to relocate before applying for ownership.

"Jim Balsillie went his own direction with a rogue lawyer who had no intention of honoring the process of being an NHL owner," Leipold said. "Obviously, we didn't go forward, so we began the process to find a new owner."

Its been said that the Preds basically have to sell out the place to break even.

Good luck with that.

But hey, at least they're not in a Canadian or Northern US city where hockey could possibly be a way of life or anything....

When's the next lockout/strike?

tllips
08-04-07, 01:31 PM
I'm just praying for the day that the Chicago Tribune headline reads:

"Wirtz sells Blackhawks to <Insert Name Here, Any name, except Pulford>"

cameraman
08-04-07, 04:11 PM
Preds sold to local group for 193 Mill.
Fantastic example of more money than brains.

tllips
09-26-07, 10:24 AM
I'm just praying for the day that the Chicago Tribune headline reads:

"Wirtz sells Blackhawks to <Insert Name Here, Any name, except Pulford>"

I know this is another headline I've wished for, but I don't think I actually wanted him dead. Just not involved with the team. RIP

Blackhawks owner Wirtz dead at 77 (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-070926wirtz,0,3973307.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout)

TKGAngel
09-26-07, 12:43 PM
I know this is another headline I've wished for, but I don't think I actually wanted him dead. Just not involved with the team. RIP

Blackhawks owner Wirtz dead at 77 (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-070926wirtz,0,3973307.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout)

There's a lot of tap dancing going on in the media between not wanting to speak ill of the dead, and yet talking about how he ran a storied franchise pretty much into the ground.

This thread was some interesting reading, again. Although now I'm wondering if I should dump Souray from my fantasy team. :\

Dr. Corkski
09-26-07, 02:23 PM

Blackhawks owner Wirtz dead at 77 (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-070926wirtz,0,3973307.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout) Is the funeral going to be blacked out in the Chicago area?

IlliniRacer
09-26-07, 03:14 PM
Is the funeral going to be blacked out in the Chicago area?

Yes.

"His funeral will not be televised in this market, as the late Mr. Wirtz considered it unfair to potential "home" mourners."

http://lakeeffects.blogspot.com/2007/09/so-long.html

As God as my witness, I never thought something that evil could die.

devilmaster
09-27-07, 01:48 PM

I'm kinda wondering if RTKar has gone out and bought a new Hawks jersey... ;)

greenie
09-29-07, 02:48 AM
Viewing alert. :gomer:

Ducks v. Kings - Versus (I think) and FSN 9:00 a.m. Pacific.

Short summer - I can't believe that hockey's already here. $$$

TKGAngel
09-29-07, 07:49 AM
Viewing alert. :gomer:

Ducks v. Kings - Versus (I think) and FSN 9:00 a.m. Pacific.

Short summer - I can't believe that hockey's already here. $$$

No Versus for today's game. CBC or Center Ice (which is free for now, I think) are the only options in the States.

greenie
09-29-07, 11:50 AM
No Versus for today's game. CBC or Center Ice (which is free for now, I think) are the only options in the States.

I thought I was going nuts, but re-reviewed the e-mail I got from the NHL and tomorrow's game is on VS, not today's, so thanks for the correction. Today's game is on Fox Sports Net west though. :cool:

dando
01-18-08, 02:45 PM
Slick. Rick.

kBQArUjP89w

:thumbup: :cool:

CBJs w/in 6 of the 2nd best in the west and 1 pt outta 8th place. Gonna be one interesting playoff run. Finally. Hitch is a fraking genius. :thumbup: Thx Phlyers. :gomer:

-Kevin