PDA

View Full Version : So it IS true?

Pages : [1] 2

NismoZ
03-22-06, 08:50 AM
KK in USA Today talks of "spirit of cooperation, don't know if it's this year or next, things are moving forward." Etc. Even mentions fans who might be opposed.

Insomniac
03-22-06, 09:13 AM
KK in USA Today talks of "spirit of cooperation, don't know if it's this year or next, things are moving forward." Etc. Even mentions fans who might be opposed.

I'm getting tired of this, let me know when a deal happens. I don't care anymore. I'll decide if I like what I see then. Until then, I'm just going to watch ChampCar.

jonovision_man
03-22-06, 09:15 AM
Did you see the LA Times?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-indy22mar22,1,3944702.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

"It's fair to say we would both like to see that," George said of a merger. George's track is the site of the Indianapolis 500, the most famous U.S. auto race and one of the world's biggest single-day sporting events with up to 400,000 spectators, plus millions more on worldwide TV.

George, the man primarily responsible for splitting open-wheel racing into two groups when he formed the IRL in 1995, now says, "I'm one of many people who believe that open-wheel racing would be better served by a unified IRL and Champ Car."

Kalkhoven, whose series opens its season April 9 with the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, agreed that "we're trying to develop a plan."

The goal is not only to combine the two series, he said, but to make the sport a more potent alternative to NASCAR stock-car racing, whose growing popularity has helped marginalize the IRL and Champ Car.

"We've had fruitful discussions," Kalkhoven said. "We all agree it would be better to have a united series. We are both trying to find the right solution."

"There is a lot of hair on this cat — it's not easy," George said. "Nothing is imminent."

But asked whether a merger could be done, he replied: "Absolutely. No question."

KLang
03-22-06, 10:27 AM
I'm getting tired of this, let me know when a deal happens. I don't care anymore. I'll decide if I like what I see then. Until then, I'm just going to watch ChampCar.

:thumbup: I wish KK would STFU about this and get back to work on his series.

FTG
03-22-06, 10:33 AM
"There is a lot of hair on this cat"

What an incoherent putz.

jonovision_man
03-22-06, 10:46 AM
Kalkhoven says being new to ownership and not having a personal history of the animosity between the series have helped him keep an open mind during talks with George, whom some blame for the split that has allowed NASCAR to become racing's premier series. And in acknowledging that fans on both sides might maintain hard feelings even with a resolution, he believes the enmity will evolve into acceptance whenever racing's longest standoff finally ends.

"It's been 10 years since the split, and you're not going to repair that overnight," Kalkhoven says. "But we've got good teams and good partners and the spirit of willingness and cooperation, which is great."

jono

Spicoli
03-22-06, 11:09 AM
So ear tonguing Dependser at USGP was just the start? :rofl:

cart7
03-22-06, 11:15 AM
When this finally happens, I certainly expect a warm welcome from everyone here extended to new OC members like Jim Wilkie, Indycool, Chris Paff and their ilk. :gomer:

KLang
03-22-06, 11:16 AM
And in acknowledging that fans on both sides might maintain hard feelings even with a resolution, he believes the enmity will evolve into acceptance whenever racing's longest standoff finally ends.

jono

Another possible outcome would be driving away yet more of the few remaining fans.

Spicoli
03-22-06, 11:26 AM
Another possible outcome would be driving away yet more of the few remaining fans.

I seriously doubt it. Only a few of us even care. I honestly believe this is the best damn thing that could happen.

Wilke, Paff, IC, etc are innerweb dweebs. plus Wilke is straightedge, so he won;t be fishin around the beer cooler with the rest of us anyway.

FTG wins big in this - he gets Indy back on track, and KK wins cause, like Genie Simmons, he gets his hand ion FTG's pocketbook. :thumbup:

jonovision_man
03-22-06, 11:28 AM

I agree with KK... I think the majority of fans would join him as fans of a merged series. And probably the majority of IRL fans would join TG as fans of a merged series. If they get it done, it's not going to be the IRL or CCWS, it's going to be something new that will be compelling to most race fans.

We can still gripe about the wasted decade between the split and the merge, it's inexusable that it came to that.

jono

KLang
03-22-06, 11:38 AM
something new that will be compelling to most race fans.

Most race fans are into Nascar not open wheel. I don't see how some sort of merger will change that. Too late IMO, the damage is already done and probably permanent.

RacinM3
03-22-06, 11:42 AM
NASCAR has "done a good job, and their sponsors have done a good job, of working to make them more of a household name," George said. That makes open-wheel racing's struggle "even more challenging," he said.

Holy crap, I had to read that twice. Does he realize that it was he, and ONLY he, had had his eye on the wrong threat back in 1995? He thought that CART's trending toward road and street courses were diluting the importance of the Indy 500. He didn't realize that there were many fans, like myself, who still viewed the Indy 500 as the Super Bowl of open wheel. I had tons of people over to my house, every year, to watch the I500. No viewing parties for ANY of the other races. Nearly all of those who came were NOT race fans before that, yet MANY, if not all, joined me every year at the LBGP as well. Since '95, there's been no I500 party, and my guests at the LBGP have declined to one or two people. Shoot, even I don't have a grandstand ticket this year.

The movement toward road and street courses actually opened up the sport to more new fans, thus INCREASING the profile of the I500. It was ALL GOOD.

TG also claims in the article that the movement to street races hurt the other permanent oval facilities. As if he REALLY cared about any other track but Indy. Please.

It was NASCAR, Tony. Only back in '95, you had an opportunity to do something about it. You've relegated this sport to second-fiddle status, forever. Unification will be fine, blah, blah, blah, but it's now too little, too late.

jonovision_man
03-22-06, 11:43 AM
Most race fans are into Nascar not open wheel. I don't see how some sort of merger will change that. Too late IMO, the damage is already done and probably permanent.

Most - yes.

But when you go to some of these races and look around, you wouldn't know it. Indy still packs in more people than any race on the planet, personally I attend the Toronto Molson Indy and every year I get excited about the series again. When you see all those people enjoying it, you can't help but think there's reason for optimism.

If you hack away the losers from both series you end up with one heck of a schedule with winner after winner on the calendar. Build from there.

jono

Hard Driver
03-22-06, 11:52 AM
Whatever,

I wouldn't mind champ car runing the indy 500 again. And having a few of the traitors back realistically might make the series stronger.

But I would be very hesitant to Give Tony any decision making role. I guess he could be humored with a minority ownership, but I would not want to have a 50-50 partnership with that idiot.

And there is a good leverage position against him as far as I am concerned. He has basically begging Honda from pulling out or he is screwed. His "premier" race is so weak that he has to buy cars and put in washed up drivers like Al Jr in there as field fillers on his own dime. Think how much money Tony will save if he does not have to fund half the field on his own dime. I mean his series is in Jeopardy and Champ Car is no longer in dire straits, but growing. So Tony has the most to loose by a deal not getting done.

Spicoli
03-22-06, 11:53 AM

Waaa. WTF kinda attitude is that? Unification will be the biggest story out there for 2 years. Sponsors come back, Indy gets fixed, fans get "unconfused", etc etc....Then we start attracting more and better drivers, better schedule, better attended events, and so forth.

NA$CAR is a goddamned soap opera. no technology, ALL marketing, and btw - you don't think some folks are sick of NA$CAR? Not many of my friends GAF about "Junior, Smoke and the faggit Gordon" :laugh:

give it a chance, there's a world of potential out there. :thumbup:

Wally
03-22-06, 12:06 PM
Waaa. WTF kinda attitude is that? Unification will be the biggest story out there for 2 years. Sponsors come back, Indy gets fixed, fans get "unconfused", etc etc....Then we start attracting more and better drivers, better schedule, better attended events, and so forth.

NA$CAR is a goddamned soap opera. no technology, ALL marketing, and btw - you don't think some folks are sick of NA$CAR? Not many of my friends GAF about "Junior, Smoke and the faggit Gordon" :laugh:

Thank You........ :thumbup:

KLang
03-22-06, 12:12 PM

My attitude: realistic ;)

I do hope you are correct, I'm just not optimistic.

Edit:
I should add, I am optimistic about Champ Car and the direction KK and company are headed.

Andrew Longman
03-22-06, 12:17 PM
I think this is going to get done and it will be a good thing.

At or around Memorial Day, something will be announced.

TG is at, or will be at the point by then where he realizes he may have a hard time finishing the year let alone do it again next year. That's because by mid summer teams have to have a pretty good idea what they are doing in 07 to line up sponsors and budgets and such. If there are just a bunch of questions, that will be the only thing anyone talks about and no one will sign up.

KK just can't blink. Relative to the IRL, given questions about engines, chassis and support series health will have been answered, the only uncertainty will be whether 07 will be good or great. If they can add Indy and a few IRL races to the sponsor package, that only sweetens the deal.

He's already got TG saying the right things. He just need sto wait until the vise tightens a bit more to get the right deal. He doesn't need to concede anything.

racer2c
03-22-06, 12:20 PM
Just thinking out loud here but if creating a NASCAR fighting "new" product with the "merged" series is a goal, I would recommend beating NASCAR to the punch with an AFC/NFC rival format with Indy being the 'Super Bowl". NASCAR has been toying with this scenario for a few years now, but I think they have resigned to the fact that things are golden, why mess it up with by splitting the series.

Open wheel on the other hand is already split, they just need to work out what races to combine and what races to keep separate and how the point system would work etc. that would also solve how to address two HQ's with separate marketing, race control, promotion etc.

that would give them a "new product" to promote to potential new fans but yet appease the fans they already have and maybe get back some that they've lost along the way.

Sure it's a bit P.T. Barnum, but they will need to be somewhat creative or else the "merger" will be a small paragraph issued by the AP that reads..."Champ Car and IRL to merge...33 cars for Indy...two engines...small fan base very happy...no one else cares..."

Gangrel
03-22-06, 01:00 PM
Just thinking out loud here but if creating a NASCAR fighting "new" product with the "merged" series is a goal, I would recommend beating NASCAR to the punch with an AFC/NFC rival format with Indy being the 'Super Bowl". NASCAR has been toying with this scenario for a few years now, but I think they have resigned to the fact that things are golden, why mess it up with by splitting the series.

Open wheel on the other hand is already split, they just need to work out what races to combine and what races to keep separate and how the point system would work etc. that would also solve how to address two HQ's with separate marketing, race control, promotion etc.

that would give them a "new product" to promote to potential new fans but yet appease the fans they already have and maybe get back some that they've lost along the way.

Sure it's a bit P.T. Barnum, but they will need to be somewhat creative or else the "merger" will be a small paragraph issued by the AP that reads..."Champ Car and IRL to merge...33 cars for Indy...two engines...small fan base very happy...no one else cares..."

So....how's that whole "Race to the Chase" thing going? Last I checked, I was hard pressed to find a racing journalist or race fan that wasn't rolling his eyes about how ridiculous that thing is.

NismoZ
03-22-06, 01:05 PM
I'm not tired of this kind of press at all and as far as I am concerned it is the ONLY realistic and rational thing left to do. Of course I wonder about the details and splits but the best of both combined have to be better than what we are now experiencing. Merger now? unity later? I don't know, let's get behind something to move things in a positive OVERALL direction.

racer2c
03-22-06, 01:54 PM
So....how's that whole "Race to the Chase" thing going? Last I checked, I was hard pressed to find a racing journalist or race fan that wasn't rolling his eyes about how ridiculous that thing is.

I don't watch NASCAR, but even I heard of the "Race for the Chase". Your point was? :gomer:

mueber
03-22-06, 02:00 PM
The merger will be a step along the way, but it won't be the final result.

I'm sorry, but I don't trust Tony George any further than I can throw him, and neither do KK or GF, or anyone else with an IQ in double digits or better. Of course TG doesn't trust them either. Without trust the future of Champ Car and Indianapolis depends upon who steps up after the merger falls apart.

Spicoli
03-22-06, 02:02 PM

first, no one cares enough to pay attention. Second, It's too confusing. 99% of the NECTARDS don;t know what the chase to the race thing is anyway. :gomer:

In other wordsa, your idea is stupid. :p

CART T. Katz
03-22-06, 02:04 PM
i differ with hard driver on one single point- i don't even give anton minority ownership. otherwise i agree with everything he said.

count me as one who wants reunification in principle. i want it to happen, but i want it to happen by default, and right now it looks like it will happen. as long as the current course doesn't change it appears to me that at the end of the year there won't be enough cars to make it through another year. that's the type of reunification i want- these owners financially don't have much of a choice but to join champcar and anton doesn't have much of a choice to sign an agreement relagating him to track owner and promoter.

Andrew Longman
03-22-06, 02:05 PM
I don't watch NASCAR, but even I heard of the "Race for the Chase". Your point was? :gomer:

And Chase ratings were up in 05 even without DEjr and Jeff.

The serious NASCAR fans I know don't like the Chase, but they watch it.

I have long thought that the IRL/CCWS split could be leveraged much as the AFL and NFL rivalry was used. Unfortunately, the costs of running oval in terms of insurance and equipment losses probably means not having too many on a merged schedule.

Maybe the actual economics are more hopeful but I doubt it will be right away.

devilmaster
03-22-06, 02:13 PM
I guess I fall in the same camp as KLang....

I'd love to see it back to the way it used to be in the 80s and early 90s. Hell, just the other day I was talkin to a friend about MRN and it reminded me how CC used to have national radio broadcasts.... [flashback] I was going to halifax for a military exercise, which required me to train to toronto, then plane to halifax. After getting to union station, I hopped in a limo cab to Pearson, and buddy already had the race on and listening to it. CC radio broadcasts... them were the days(iirc, i think it was cleveland)

Anyways, a merged series, of course, has a better chance of making it....

BUT.... (and you all knew a -but- was coming)

Its been 13 or 14 years now(iirc) since the rumblings started about splitting. Asshat has never shown an ability to 1) compromise; (2) be intelligent; (3) to be a good leader; (4) that coke didn't affect him; and (5) be fair.

I don't trust f**knut, nor will I ever. He has shown, through his actions, that he is a liar, a cheat, a druggie, an idiot, and that he is, IMHO, a megalomaniac without intelligence. This isn't a winning combination for leadership potential.

I worry that a merged series gives him too much ownership and control. I worry that a merged series gives him time to save up to split the whole stupid thing again, so he can have full control.

So regardless of the merger talk, regardless of the hope a merged series will bring, regardless of the fact that spikkly has already kissed and made up with depender, I will always be wary of anything that TG has his coke riddled fingers in.

And speaking of which, first you lick depender. now you wax glowingly about a merger. Whats next there dude? An annual trip to Sparta?!?!? ;) :p

racer2c
03-22-06, 02:25 PM
first, no one cares enough to pay attention. Second, It's too confusing. 99% of the NECTARDS don;t know what the chase to the race thing is anyway. :gomer:

In other wordsa, your idea is stupid. :p

99%? :D

So will you be happy with the IRL race control, Gene Simmons marketing and Captain Liver Spots running things behind Tony inthe name of "UNIFICATION?" Now that is stupid. :gomer:

Spicoli
03-22-06, 02:41 PM
99%? :D

So will you be happy with the IRL race control, Gene Simmons marketing and Captain Liver Spots running things behind Tony inthe name of "UNIFICATION?" Now that is stupid. :gomer:

You are the one that said it was gonna be like that, not me.

Me? I'll just wait and see what happens. One thing for sure, is that 80% of the poeple in both series (and 100% of the sales and marketing) staffs should be tossed into an incinerator and burned alive for incompetency.

CART T. Katz
03-22-06, 02:57 PM
And speaking of which, first you lick depender. now you wax glowingly about a merger. Whats next there dude? An annual trip to Sparta?!?!? ;) :p

the greater gallatin county department of tourisim and commerce welcomes you!

kentucky- its that gomer :gomer:

NismoZ
03-22-06, 03:00 PM
You nabobs of negativism, you demagogues of doom, you pusillanimous *****footers! Just what SHOULD the plan be, then? Go ahead and sing with the band on the fantail of the Titanic, I'd rather be a part of designing a harder to sink unsinkable ship and throw some radar on it to avoid icebergs in the future. Liberty AND Union!

devilmaster
03-22-06, 03:02 PM
You nabobs of negativism, you demagogues of doom, you pusillanimous *****footers! Just what SHOULD the plan be, then? Go ahead and sing with the band on the fantail of the Titanic, I'd rather be a part of designing a harder to sink unsinkable ship and throw some radar on it to avoid icebergs in the future. Liberty AND Union!

yer an idiot, niz. :rolleyes:

Spicoli
03-22-06, 03:06 PM
I guess I fall in the same camp as KLang....

I'd love to see it back to the way it used to be in the 80s and early 90s. Hell, just the other day I was talkin to a friend about MRN and it reminded me how CC used to have national radio broadcasts.... [flashback] I was going to halifax for a military exercise, which required me to train to toronto, then plane to halifax. After getting to union station, I hopped in a limo cab to Pearson, and buddy already had the race on and listening to it. CC radio broadcasts... them were the days(iirc, i think it was cleveland)

Anyways, a merged series, of course, has a better chance of making it....

BUT.... (and you all knew a -but- was coming)

Its been 13 or 14 years now(iirc) since the rumblings started about splitting. Asshat has never shown an ability to 1) compromise; (2) be intelligent; (3) to be a good leader; (4) that coke didn't affect him; and (5) be fair.

I don't trust f**knut, nor will I ever. He has shown, through his actions, that he is a liar, a cheat, a druggie, an idiot, and that he is, IMHO, a megalomaniac without intelligence. This isn't a winning combination for leadership potential.

I worry that a merged series gives him too much ownership and control. I worry that a merged series gives him time to save up to split the whole stupid thing again, so he can have full control.

So regardless of the merger talk, regardless of the hope a merged series will bring, regardless of the fact that spikkly has already kissed and made up with depender, I will always be wary of anything that TG has his coke riddled fingers in.

LMAO.

First, TG is a ****nut and will always be a ****nut, so we'll have that to laugh about.

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20030523/tony_george_52778.jpg

this trainwreck of a human can be outthunk by an epileptic chimp, a one legged nun, and a telephone pole all in one day, so no worries there.

And on the depender thing - yes, he's a dick. you all saw the lil kissie thing, but those in a ttendance also saw be beating on his skull with a beer can. It was funnE as hell. I kissed him cause he was gonna cry. I wanted more of that jacktard to needle all day. He finally got up and moved with Tex24.

Bottom line WGAF, with unification, we have more people to make fun of.

Can you imagine mikey's welcome "home"? or Raholes? this would be fun.

And hell yes I would go to Sparta to watch the gomers. Plus its free, right?

devilmaster
03-22-06, 03:10 PM
this trainwreck of a human can be outthunk by an epileptic chimp, a one legged nun, and a telephone pole all in one day, so no worries there.

There's an image :D

Can you imagine mikey's welcome "home"? or Raholes? this would be fun.

I remember a Mid-Ohio campground thingy where a life sized Mikey cutout was shot repeatedly by a paintball by everyone.... I think it'd be similar, no? ;)

Cam
03-22-06, 03:12 PM
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20030523/tony_george_52778.jpg

And hell yes I would go to Sparta to watch the gomers. Plus its free, right?

In a unified All Things Open Wheen Racing, would there still be gomerz and the gomerati? :gomer:

cameraman
03-22-06, 03:23 PM
A little bit o' reality courtesy of the Orange County Register (http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/columns/article_1064027.php)

Dick Eidswick, CEO and chairman of the Champ Car World Series, said George and Kalkhoven have had several meetings that have been more cordial and productive than in the past.

But does that mean we will see one series in 2007? Probably not.

"Yes, the talks have been better this time around, but remember, there wasn't much communication in the past," Eidswick said. "To put something together, is very, very difficult. I would say guard your optimism on this. But it is nice that they are talking again. I wouldn't think you will see anything happen by next year. It is a hard problem because there are so many different long-term relationships you have to consider.

"First you have to get people to agree on a game plan. And we are nowhere near that yet."

racer2c
03-22-06, 03:27 PM
A little bit o' reality courtesy of the Orange County Register (http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/columns/article_1064027.php)

To me that sounds like sending the message that the ship is stable, keep on rowing. CEO's say this kind of stuff all the time a week before they lay off 1000 people.

KLang
03-22-06, 03:59 PM

I am not a nabob. :p

G.
03-22-06, 04:05 PM
This is huge news. HUGE!

The.

Biggest.

News.

Story.

Ever.

plus Wilke is straightedge

He writes that **** sober?? :confused: :eek:

Great find spikkly!

:p

Spicoli
03-22-06, 04:17 PM
To me that sounds like sending the message that the ship is stable, keep on rowing. CEO's say this kind of stuff all the time a week before they lay off 1000 people.

Zackly - Limpy Dick don't know Jack. He's an idiot. He fired my friends too. :flame: :thumdown:

Racing Truth
03-22-06, 05:44 PM

Yes, all 12 of them. :gomer:

Racing Truth
03-22-06, 05:50 PM

Sure, open-wheel will NEVER compete w/ NASCAR in terms of popularity, but w/o a merger, I don't see ANYTHING remotely resembling stability, not to mention viability, for the sport. And I'm not sure if something like this is ever "permanent."

Key Word of the Day: Survival. The sport is looked on as minor-league compared to NASCAR. Again, popularity-wise, NASCAR will always rule. C'est la vie. But I hope we can get to the point where we are considered major-league racing.

Racing Truth
03-22-06, 05:54 PM
i differ with hard driver on one single point- i don't even give anton minority ownership. otherwise i agree with everything he said.

count me as one who wants reunification in principle. i want it to happen, but i want it to happen by default, and right now it looks like it will happen. as long as the current course doesn't change it appears to me that at the end of the year there won't be enough cars to make it through another year. that's the type of reunification i want- these owners financially don't have much of a choice but to join champcar and anton doesn't have much of a choice to sign an agreement relagating him to track owner and promoter.

TDS. Tallest Dwarf Syndrome. :gomer:

BTW: The smilies are rearranging themselves on every post still. :saywhat:

Racing Truth
03-22-06, 05:56 PM
You are the one that said it was gonna be like that, not me.

Me? I'll just wait and see what happens. One thing for sure, is that 80% of the poeple in both series (and 100% of the sales and marketing) staffs should be tossed into an incinerator and burned alive for incompetency.

Truer words have rarely been utterred. :thumbup:

Dr. Corkski
03-22-06, 06:06 PM
Yes, all 12 of them. :gomer:Nothing a few hardcards can't fix. :gomer:

fourrunner
03-22-06, 06:36 PM
Hope they are Creative the first year like having a " Throw Shet at Tony Day" at the venues .. He doesn't have to stand there, just walk around in full view and no ducking .. that would satisfy me for the 11 years !! ;)

RacinM3
03-22-06, 06:38 PM
I think what we're seeing is the first marketing cooperation between the two series.

KK - "hey Tony, we both have our big openers coming up in the next few weeks....let's get a story out in the press about reunification and whip the dwindling masses into a frenzy."

TG - "duh, what? Ummm, OK. Wait, where's my stash again?"

How's that for jaded?

datachicane
03-22-06, 08:56 PM
Two words:
Dunk tank.

Racing Truth
03-22-06, 09:06 PM
When this finally happens, I certainly expect a warm welcome from everyone here extended to new OC members like Jim Wilkie, Indycool, Chris Paff and their ilk. :gomer:

Well, that's just one inter-forum dilemma now. :gomer: The most pressing issue clearly is... what will,,,,,,,,,,,,happen to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,paper?,,,,,,,,,,! :gomer:

OH THE HUMANITY!!!! :laugh:

Racing Truth
03-22-06, 09:14 PM
A quote from BrentJackson from the Speed board:

Trust me Rouser, if this actually goes through you will need riot police to control TrackForum and Champ Car Fanatics.

:laugh: :laugh: :rofl:

RusH
03-23-06, 12:59 AM

solution... leave the building :gomer:

devilmaster
03-23-06, 01:03 AM
Two words:
Dunk tank.

Hmmm. With piranhas or sulfuric acid? decisions decisions decisions..... http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/confused/shrug03.gif

Can piranha survive acid?

datachicane
03-23-06, 11:41 AM
Hmmm. With piranhas or sulfuric acid? decisions decisions decisions..... http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/confused/shrug03.gif

Can piranha survive acid?

Those are great, but they can only be used once.
I want something that can be reset quickly and repeated for years.

rosawendel
03-23-06, 12:41 PM
Those are great, but they can only be used once.
I want something that can be reset quickly and repeated for years.

i use the "previous channel" button on my tv remote.

TKGAngel
03-23-06, 01:17 PM
Hope they are Creative the first year like having a " Throw Shet at Tony Day" at the venues .. He doesn't have to stand there, just walk around in full view and no ducking .. that would satisfy me for the 11 years !! ;)

Oh man, could we also apply that to Penske and maybe Ganassi?

The sport is looked on as minor-league compared to NASCAR

DW brought this up during the Busch race this weekend. He said that 1.5 mile tracks used to be built for multi-series use, that's why so many of them were built with little to no banking. Now that NASCAR has become *the* series, these tracks are having to re-design themselves to be venues where the NASCARs are happy - coughlasvegascough. Its basically a screw the open-wheel community type insinuation.

oddlycalm
03-23-06, 04:40 PM
Let me know when it happens. Until then it's Spring Unification Flatulence Rev 10.21

oc

TravelGal
03-23-06, 09:12 PM

RE TF AND CCF. LOL! BrentJackson......... He was allowed on 7G, I think but I don't him much any more. He sure hit that one on the head though!

Methanolandbrats
03-24-06, 12:08 PM
KK in USA Today talks of "spirit of cooperation, don't know if it's this year or next, things are moving forward." Etc. Even mentions fans who might be opposed.KK is a bidness man first, a racefan second. If he can sell the Champcar assets to FTG for a big profit, he won't GAF if the resulting mess is called The MindyCar World Series. There is a wiff of something in the wind and it ain't roses.

Winston Wolfe
03-24-06, 12:53 PM
KK is a bidness man first, a racefan second. If he can sell the Champcar assets to FTG for a big profit, he won't GAF if the resulting mess is called The MindyCar World Series. There is a wiff of something in the wind and it ain't roses.

You think he sells for a profit? There is no tellin' HOW much he has spent, since it (CCWS) aint a publik kompany no mo'.... KK is truly a Bid-niss man first and foremost, but I dont think he did the CART assets purchase as a "get rich quick scheme"... heck, he could have sold videos\tapes\workbooks on late night TV if he wanted to do dat !
IMO - there is no way the remaining brain trust of what is left of the Hulman Family empire of inheritors, along with their lackeys and "hanger's on" are gonna be able to decipher a deal that KK puts forth, or if they do, they'll never figger out how to write a check with that many zeros in it.... :gomer:
I gotta believe something is underway. And based on the recent past, KK and the gang are doing well against their unarmed opponents in the battle of wits and business acumen.
Collectively, we cant do squat about it, so I'm just gonna grab a cold one, enjoy as many of the CCWS races I can, while I can, and see what develops and hope KK schools TG and his krew one last time !

Andrew Longman
03-24-06, 03:05 PM
You think he sells for a profit? There is no tellin' HOW much he has spent, since it (CCWS) aint a publik kompany no mo'.... KK is truly a Bid-niss man first and foremost, but I dont think he did the CART assets purchase as a "get rich quick scheme"... heck, he could have sold videos\tapes\workbooks on late night TV if he wanted to do dat !
IMO - there is no way the remaining brain trust of what is left of the Hulman Family empire of inheritors, along with their lackeys and "hanger's on" are gonna be able to decipher a deal that KK puts forth, or if they do, they'll never figger out how to write a check with that many zeros in it.... :gomer:
I gotta believe something is underway. And based on the recent past, KK and the gang are doing well against their unarmed opponents in the battle of wits and business acumen.
Collectively, we cant do squat about it, so I'm just gonna grab a cold one, enjoy as many of the CCWS races I can, while I can, and see what develops and hope KK schools TG and his krew one last time !

Agree completely. Joining you in a cold one :thumbup:

NismoZ
03-24-06, 03:07 PM
May I be permitted another rumor, then? I read where more than one IRL team had made inquiries to Panoz about their new '07 CC chassis. I can see only 2 reasons for this, if true. 1.) considering a move to CC pending outcome of "things" ($) in The League this season. 2.) Anticipation of a merger, wanting to be prepared to react.. You may resume drinking. :)

Racing Truth
03-24-06, 03:16 PM
As long as everyone on the forums is rumor-mongering....

The following from a pro-IRL TF poster who I don't think is the type to make **** up. Doesn't mean its accurate, but I've read similar elsewhere.

Take it for what it's worth, but I have a friend in Indy who is a close friend with a top IRL/IMS executive. My friend was told that it's a done deal and it will be announced sometime during May. He said both sides will make major concessions and this will be a true compromise by both sides.

Could be bull, but the whole May announcement thing is really floating out there.

Spicoli
03-24-06, 03:27 PM
As long as everyone on the forums is rumor-mongering....

The following from a pro-IRL TF poster who I don't think is the type to make **** up. Doesn't mean its accurate, but I've read similar elsewhere.

Could be bull, but the whole May announcement thing is really floating out there.

:thumbup:

I want my race back.

Racing Truth
03-24-06, 03:40 PM
:thumbup:

I want my race back.

Click on the links in the 1st post. (http://insider.speedtv.com/viewtopic.php?t=116082) :cool:

Spicoli
03-24-06, 03:50 PM
Click on the links in the 1st post. (http://insider.speedtv.com/viewtopic.php?t=116082) :cool:

yep. thanks for fixing everything Tony. :shakehead

FTG
03-24-06, 03:53 PM
this will be a true compromise by both sides

That'll be the spin, but I think TG will be an equal partner about the same time as Democracy blossoms all over the Middle East.

He'll probably get a team though. Laughing at Vision would be fun.

FTG
03-24-06, 03:58 PM
Heh boss. If it happens, can I keep my user name?

Racing Truth
03-24-06, 04:00 PM
yep. thanks for fixing everything Tony. :shakehead

I know, but also think of it as something, with a ton of work, we could again approach in a post-merger era.

rabbit
03-24-06, 04:07 PM
:goosebumps: :thumbup:

TravelGal
03-24-06, 04:12 PM
>>>>Take it for what it's worth, but I have a friend in Indy who is a close friend with a top IRL/IMS executive. My friend was told that it's a done deal and it will be announced sometime during May. He said both sides will make major concessions and this will be a true compromise by both sides.

I've been hearing the same thing in those exact words. (Hmmm, that makes me wonder. Like when all the witnesses to a crime use the same words.) In this case, however, it's feeling more and more like the truth.

racer2c
03-24-06, 04:19 PM
What would "major concessions" be for Champ Car? No turbos? The loss of the name Champ Car (I think we all expected the IndyCar moniker to the name of a merged series), the loss of profitable street races? Having Helio and Weldon on the driver list? Danickle?

Racing Truth
03-24-06, 04:25 PM
:goosebumps: :thumbup:

That's the effect I was goin' for. :cool:

FTG
03-24-06, 04:46 PM
What would "major concessions" be for Champ Car?

Letting coke boy speak in front of a microphone. Pretending he's not an idiot. Giving him credit for building, when all he's ever done is destroy. Caling Vision racing, "a serious competitor and welcome addition." Some would call that "major concessions," others would call it a small price to pay to heal an old wound. I'm kind of in the middle, but humoring him for his track is probably a good idea.

FTG
03-24-06, 04:48 PM
I've been hearing the same thing

It does kind of remind me of all the rumors of Honda and Yoda leaving, long before the official press release.

Sean O'Gorman
03-24-06, 04:59 PM

I used to like those until I found out the song was the theme to this movie:

http://home.arcor.de/dinoandfriends/joey_engl/bilder/deltaforce1.JPG

Also, my favorite part, in the 1990 intro:

Different men, from vastly different backgrounds, focused on one goal: A white line..."

At which point, this is what appears on the screen.

http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/9646/unser6eq.jpg

:laugh:

nrc
03-24-06, 05:41 PM
What would "major concessions" be for Champ Car? Pretending to be equal partners with a moron.

NismoZ
03-24-06, 06:37 PM
Ah, now you have it. It's all in the pretending! For overall gain of course.

Racing Truth
03-24-06, 06:40 PM
BTW: Given the "Merger watch" thread, I think we can say safely that isn't just the usual Rite of Spring in Open-Wheel Racing. Something's going on. :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
03-24-06, 06:55 PM
May I be permitted another rumor, then? I read where more than one IRL team had made inquiries to Panoz about their new '07 CC chassis. I can see only 2 reasons for this, if true. 1.) considering a move to CC pending outcome of "things" ($) in The League this season. 2.) Anticipation of a merger, wanting to be prepared to react.. You may resume drinking. :)

As I've said for quite a while, having the DP01 out there is a huge leverage point for IRL teams. I have little doubt IRL teams have made inquiries about it, and I'm sure they want TG to know it.

Given the loss of manufacturer money there is almost no incentive to run the IRL season beyond the 500. Get a cheap Indy only Honda lease. Reuse chassis from this year and collect Tony bucks for the 500 and add it to your sponsor package. Then run the CCWS season with lower cost equipment and no ovals to smash it up.

Just threatening that will cause/has caused TG to budge

jonovision_man
03-24-06, 06:58 PM
Someone over on TF summarized this from a Tony press conference today in Florida... (Homestead race is this weekend as I'm sure we all know :))

Bottom Line - most optimistic tone from TG regarding a merger of the two series. TG says he personally likes KK and every discussion has been positive. Asks that KK and TG be allowed to sort this out. Concerned that outside discussion will be too much of a distraction for either series. If you allow us to work this out, it will happen sooner than later.

Says there will not be enough time to align for the 2007 season, but 2008 more likely.

I certainly hope if it's going to get done, they do it for 2007... I think it'd be painful for fans to know it was coming but have to sit through another 2 full seasons before we get it done.

jono

FTG
03-24-06, 07:02 PM
If there's a merger, it's because Tony's family has refused to stop subsidizing his stupidity. Period. If they'd told him to maximize profits in 95, there never would've been a split. Period. If there had been any interest on his part of making money, the split would've come to an end a long time ago. Period.

jonovision_man
03-24-06, 07:56 PM
Here's the article with quotes:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/22730/

"Is there reason to be optimistic? It's certainly possible, but we're a long way from there at this point," said George, founder of the Indy Racing League. "Everybody would like to see it happen sooner rather than later, but it's not something you can hurry along. It's not something we can resolve in a few weeks or a couple of months. It's certainly going to take some time."

"I suppose if all the stars and moons and planets aligned, it would be possible, but what are the chances of that? I don't know," George said. "There is reason to be hopeful, but I would caution everyone from getting their hopes set too high. If it comes together, great. That would be wonderful."

George repeatedly tempered his comments Friday with caution. "I don't think we can solve the big problems in a short period of time," he said.

"As I've told both sides, we would like to be the lubricant that helps this all come together," said Robert Clarke, president of Honda Performance Development. "We definitely don't want to be any kind of a roadblock. Unifying the series, to us, is extremely important. It's important that they understand where Honda positions itself in all of this."

jono

Spicoli
03-24-06, 09:00 PM
I just had some beers with * * tire dude, and he's hearing it's "done", but nobody knows the details, and that's the problem.

funny: he said its like 2 ugly people know they are the only ones at the dance that will screw each other, just gotta figure out how its gonna happen.

:D

Racing Truth
03-24-06, 09:00 PM
OK, now everyone (press I mean) please STFU and leave 'em alone. Thank you.

If they can, please go for '07, or at least common specs.

Spicoli
03-24-06, 09:01 PM
OK, now everyone (press I mean) please STFU and leave 'em alone. Thank you.

If they can, please go for '07, or at least common specs.

**** that ****. TG is a moron, i hate that fusktard lets go drink his beer and steal his car.

Racing Truth
03-24-06, 09:02 PM
I just had some beers with * * tire dude, and he's hearing it's "done", but nobody knows the details, and that's the problem.

funny: he said its like 2 ugly people know they are the only ones at the dance that will screw each other, just gotta figure out how its gonna happen.

:rofl: :rofl:

I'm still thinking May is the announcement.

jonovision_man
03-25-06, 08:33 AM

:rofl:

jono

cameraman
03-25-06, 03:01 PM
he said its like 2 ugly people know they are the only ones at the dance that will screw each other, just gotta figure out how its gonna happen.

Only problem with that is the doubly ugly baby nine months after the dance....

Racing Truth
03-25-06, 03:15 PM
Only problem with that is the doubly ugly baby nine months after the dance....

Better than no baby at all...

TravelGal
03-25-06, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=Spicoli

:D[/QUOTE]

Not exactly the words I might have chosen but it does seem to describe the situation in all its aspects, doesn't it? ;)

Spicoli
03-25-06, 08:50 PM
spped News:

tomorrow at 7pm on Speed, FTG interview by Robin Miller. :laugh: :eek: \

this ought to be epic. :saywhat:

nissan gtp
03-25-06, 08:53 PM

that's the best summary of the cluster-**** to come that I've seen yet :rofl:

Wally
03-25-06, 09:42 PM
spped News:

OMG, will it be live and unedited? A script? Will they have leash on RM?
I can't stop laughing.....................I......don't.....know .......... :laugh:

racer2c
03-25-06, 11:19 PM
spped News:

RM: "So if you believe the rumors, the merger is all but done. The only thing left is a big press announcement.

TG: "Um...no...there is still allot of hair on that *****, I mean KK said I should not say anything. Is that camera on? I need to talk to Fred. Cut! Cut!

harryp
03-26-06, 12:25 AM
Letting coke boy speak in front of a microphone. Pretending he's not an idiot. Giving him credit for building, when all he's ever done is destroy. Caling Vision racing, "a serious competitor and welcome addition." Some would call that "major concessions," others would call it a small price to pay to heal an old wound. I'm kind of in the middle, but humoring him for his track is probably a good idea.

If this goes through, I'm going to be a big fan of Grand Am / Rolex series (great race tonight, by the way...).

KLang
03-26-06, 09:14 AM
Penske brings some reality to the discussion:

''I've sat back for the last three years trying to make it happen and it never has,'' Penske said. ''Mario Andretti, he went to the wall to try to get it together (last year). I did it the year before. What's changed?

''I think it's all talk. I'd like to see the facts. I've been there, that's why I'm so pessimistic that there's anything there.''

link (http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/sports/AP-CAR-IRL-Notebook.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin)

Interesting quote from Ganassi:

''As far as our team is concerned, (unification) is an absolute necessity.''

Bye, Bye Toyota bucks.... :laugh:

jonovision_man
03-26-06, 09:21 AM
Well this was Ganassi's comment a few months ago...

Right now this thing needs help, both series are on the gurney, and added together they don't equal the Busch series

jono

pchall
03-26-06, 01:32 PM
Well this was Ganassi's comment a few months ago...

Quote:
Right now this thing needs help, both series are on the gurney, and added together they don't equal the Busch series

jono

Great quote from one of the bastards that help kill CART. BTW, I think it is the IRL that is on a gurney in ICU. CCW is in natal care.

G.
03-26-06, 03:22 PM
Great quote from one of the bastards that help kill CART. BTW, I think it is the IRL that is on a gurney in ICU. CCW is in natal care.Right or wrong, this is an AWESOME quote! :thumbup: