PDA

View Full Version : Film advice

indyfan31
03-21-06, 12:24 PM
I'm planning on going to the Champcar test session next week and I'd like to take some pictures with the Nikon FE2 I bought recently.
However, for the last year I've been shooting only digital and for over 5 years before that I did very little with my cameras.
What I'd like is suggestions on what film type and brand to use, I know little to nothing about the films available today. The forcast for next thursday is rain, therefore (even if it doesn't rain) I'm assuming overcast skies. So, considering the flat lighting conditions I'd like to get the best color and sharpness possible (without venturing into Fuji territory).
I realize most of the pros around here have migrated to digital but I'm assuming y'all still keep up with the latest in film tech.

rosawendel
03-21-06, 12:43 PM
just bought a d-70s myself, and jumping headfirst into the digital realm.

indyfan31
03-21-06, 04:19 PM
just bought a d-70s myself, and jumping headfirst into the digital realm.
Same here, I bought a D-70 last year, it's a blast.

Gangrel
03-21-06, 04:22 PM
D70 in the house :D

Shooting racing is the easy part. I gotta' find the money one of these days for a housing so I can shoot with it when I'm scuba diving!

indyfan31
03-23-06, 02:11 AM
None of the photogs here use film? :confused:

TrueBrit
03-23-06, 08:54 AM
None of the photogs here use film? :confused:

"Film"? What's "film"? :D

cameraman
03-23-06, 01:50 PM
Film is that expensive stuff you put in an EOS-3.

If you are planning on shooting professional color transparency films you don't have a whole lot of choices anymore.

If you want 400 speed film you have one choice, Fuji Provia 400F is the only 400 speed film you will easily find. If you need the speed, which you will if it is a heavily overcast day this is your only choice. You will find that the Provia 400F is also the most expensive of the lot.

If you want 200 speed film you have only one choice, Kodak Ektachrome E200. It is a good 200 speed film and it would also be a good choice.

You have more choices at 100 speed but I don't think any of them are a great choice for shooting a race.

Kodak Ektachromes
E100G is the standard emulsion.
E100GX is warmer than the 100G but isn't oversaturated.
E100VS is oversaturated in my opinion. The v is for vivid and they ain't lying. But if a car is standing still and you want the livery to pop - go for it.

Fuji Provia and Velvia
Velvia 100F is a great film but again probably not quick enough. Also a good choice for shooting colorful cars at rest.
Provia 100F is a good film too

Kodak also makes the Elite series of slide film.
Elite Chrome 100, Elite Chrome Extra 100, Chrome 200 & Chrome 400.
I have never used them so I can't tell you a thing about them.

And Fuji also makes the Sensia line which I don't like very much.
Sensia 100, 200, and 400

I normally use Provia 400F, Velvia 100F and Ektachrome E100GX

theunions
03-24-06, 06:06 AM
Upgraded to a Nikon D200 (which to my knowledge is still available from a grand total of zero local retail outlets - the only person I know in town who has one has a gray market example from Japan) in time for Long Beach. As for film, for daytime action I always use Fujicolor 200 unless it's terribly overcast. I haven't shot slides in years as they're simply much more difficult/expensive/time-consuming to work with and it's been at least half a dozen years since any editor has asked me for a submittal in that format.