View Full Version : Breaking the sound barrier

cart7
03-21-06, 09:22 AM
Got these emailed to me. Waaay cool.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/4143/sb19vt.png

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/9307/sb20tm.png

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5841/sb36jn.png

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/9389/sb57za.png

The Phenomena happens at the moment the SB is broken.

Wheel-Nut
03-21-06, 10:37 AM
Those are cool, here is a story that goes with one of the photos.
http://www.wilk4.com/misc/f18.jpg
http://www.wilk4.com/misc/soundbreak.htm
Awesome - Wanna see a sonic boom?
by Bruce Stephen Holms

Ensign John Gay could see the fighter plane drop from the sky heading toward the port side of the aircraft carrier Constellation. At 1,000 feet, the pilot drops the F/A-18C Hornet to increase his speed to 750 mph, vapor flickering off the curved surfaces of the plane.

In the precise moment a cloud in the shape of a farm-fresh egg forms around the Hornet 200 yards from the carrier, its engines rippling the Pacific Ocean just 75 feet below, Gay hears an explosion and snaps his camera shutter once. "I clicked the same time I heard the boom, and I knew I had it," Gay said.

What he had was a technically meticulous depiction of the sound barrier being broken July 7, 1999, somewhere on the Pacific between Hawaii and Japan. Sports Illustrated, Brills Content and Life ran the photo. The photo recently took first prize in the science and technology division in the World Press Photo 2000 contest, which drew more than 42,000 entries worldwide. "All of a sudden, in the last few days, I've been getting calls from everywhere about it again. It's kind of neat," he said, in a telephone interview from his station in Virginia Beach, VA.

A naval veteran of 12 years, Gay, 38, manages a crew of eight assigned to take intelligence photographs from the high-tech belly of an F-14 Tomcat, he fastest fighter in the U.S. Navy. In July, Gay had been part of a Joint Task Force Exercise as the Constellation made its way to Japan.

Gay selected his Nikon 90 S, one of the five 35 mm cameras he owns. He set his 80-300 mm zoom lens on 300 mm, set his shutter speed at 1/1000 of second with an aperture setting of F5.6. "I put it on full manual, focus and exposure," Gay said. "I tell young photographers who are into automatic everything, you aren't going to get that shot on auto. The plane is too fast. The camera can't keep up." "At sea level a plane must exceed 741 mph to break the sound barrier, or the speed at which sound travels.

The change in pressure as the plane outruns all of the pressure and sound waves in front of it is heard on the ground as an explosion or sonic boom. The pressure change condenses the water in the air as the jet passes these waves. Altitude, wind speed, humidity, the shape and trajectory of the plane - all of these affect the breaking of this barrier. The slightest drag or atmospheric pull on the plane shatters the vapor oval like fireworks as the plane passes through," he said.

"Everything on July 7 was perfect," he said. "You see this vapor flicker around the plane that gets bigger and bigger. You get this loud boom, and it's instantaneous. The vapor cloud is there, and then it's not there. It's the coolest thing you have ever seen."

Ankf00
03-21-06, 10:48 AM
You're everyone's problem. That's because every time you go up in the air, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous

Wheel-Nut
03-21-06, 10:50 AM
Top Gun

Ankf00
03-21-06, 11:07 AM
^^^ that's supposed to be where you continue the cheesy quote ;) :gomer:

Wheel-Nut
03-21-06, 11:19 AM
Sorry - That's right! Iceman. I am dangerous.

Stu
03-21-06, 11:33 AM
<bites teeth>

racer2c
03-21-06, 11:43 AM
The defense department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid.

Stu
03-21-06, 12:26 PM
charlie: well if you were directly above him, how could you see him.

mav: because i was inverted

Ferdman
03-21-06, 01:30 PM
charlie: well if you were directly above him, how could you see him.

mav: because i was inverted

b*lls***t!

devilmaster
03-21-06, 02:05 PM
ya know, if you guys look hard enough, there's probably a script online somewheres.....

go find it. :p

Stu
03-21-06, 02:40 PM
Devilmaster, you just did an incredibly brave thing. What you should have done was land your plane! You don't own that plane, the tax payers do! Son, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash. You've been busted, you've lost your qualifications as section leader three times, put in Hoc twice, by me! With a history of high speed passes over five air control towers, and one admirals daughter.

Wabbit
03-21-06, 03:05 PM
Devilmaster, you just did an incredibly brave thing. What you should have done was land your plane! You don't own that plane, the tax payers do! Son, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash. You've been busted, you've lost your qualifications as section leader three times, put in Hoc twice, by me! With a history of high speed passes over five air control towers, and one admirals daughter.

Somebody needs a life :shakehead

Stu
03-21-06, 03:16 PM
Somebody needs a life :shakehead

Oh and making fun of people on an internet message board qualifies as having a life?

Gangrel
03-21-06, 03:21 PM
Charlie: You were in a 4 G inverted roll with a MIG 28?
Maverick: Yes M'aam.
Charlie: At what range?
Maverick: About 2 meters.
Goose: Well, actually, it was about 1 1/2, I think it was 1 1/2...I've got a great poloroid of it, he's right there. It must be 1 1/2.

Ferdman
03-21-06, 03:55 PM

Goose whispers: Penny Benjamin

Stu
03-21-06, 06:40 PM
Goose whispers: Penny Benjamin

and you *********, you're lucky to even have a job.

devilmaster
03-21-06, 06:47 PM
what da hell is a mig 28 anyways? :confused:

Wheel-Nut
03-21-06, 07:02 PM

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/air/bsliger/MiG-283.JPG

Ankf00
03-21-06, 07:03 PM

:rofl: It's the Liger of the skies!!!

devilmaster
03-21-06, 07:06 PM
sorry guys.... it was rhetorical....

there is no such thing as a mig 28.... Migs use odd numbers.... cute f5 model in that pic though ;)

Wheel-Nut
03-21-06, 07:22 PM
:rofl:

Joelski
03-21-06, 11:06 PM
sorry guys.... it was rhetorical....

there is no such thing as a mig 28.... Migs use odd numbers.... cute f5 model in that pic though ;)

That's not a T-38? :confused:

Ankf00
03-21-06, 11:44 PM
they look similar but T-38's are 2 seaters for training purposes...

devilmaster
03-22-06, 01:31 AM
they look similar but T-38's are 2 seaters for training purposes...

ya joel, what he said ;)

Ankf00
03-22-06, 01:40 AM
The US Navy Fighter Weapons School (the so-called "Top Gun" school) at NAS Miramar acquired a total of ten F-5Es and three F-5Fs for dissimilar air combat training. Because of the F-5's characteristics, which were similar to the MiG-21, was used as 'agressor' aircraft, equipping the FWS and VF-126 at NAS Miramar, plus VF-43 at NAS Oceana.

Ankf00
03-22-06, 01:47 AM
back on topic:

"You live your life between your legs"

Stu
03-22-06, 07:35 AM
this is what I call a target rich environment.