PDA

View Full Version : TAXES!! EFFING TAXES!!

Wheel-Nut
03-20-06, 11:48 AM
Once again the wife and I are paying!! :mad: Why is it a person gets penalized for having a good income?!! :mad:

Sorry, stepping down.

KLang
03-20-06, 11:59 AM
GRRRR. :mad: Went through this yesterday as well.

Not only are we paying, we have to pay an extra penalty because we have to pay too much. :saywhat: :mad:

Winston Wolfe
03-20-06, 12:05 PM
Dedcutions, deductions, my good man ! Family ? Rental property ? Unreimbursed biz expenses ? If you are making a good living, you should look into having an expert do it for you. Unreimbursed Job expenses, home office costs, job finding\searching expense, business publications \ subscriptions, etc., etc., mileage, phone expense, secondary phone line, internet expense, etc....

Rich people dont pay taxes.... remember ? :D

I used to do my own, then when I bought a new house, and kept my condo as a rental, I didnt want to mess with my own taxes for fear of doing it wrong. Got a referral to a good tax guy, and have been going to him for 6 years. He is a "little creative" but never goes to the "red flag" limit on anything. I have increased my with holdings to a crazy level both state and fed, but still get a nice 4 figure refund, even though I continue to adjust every year ! Its the best $95 I spend every year !!! He has all of my previous stuff on file, and all it takes is a 30 minutes visit to do every year. :thumbup:

If you are making a good living, you should look into having a "pro" do it for you. "Turbo Tax" etc. is cool, but I find the "tax guy" works GREAT !

I hate paying taxes to, but I dont mind doing them ! Ask around and see if your friends \ family \ co-workers "have a guy"....

Wheel-Nut
03-20-06, 12:33 PM
I hired a "pro" one year thinking he could at least get it down to not owing a thing. I still paid and had to pay him . . . :flame:

racer2c
03-20-06, 01:25 PM
Dedcutions, deductions, my good man ! Family ? Rental property ? Unreimbursed biz expenses ? If you are making a good living, you should look into having an expert do it for you. Unreimbursed Job expenses, home office costs, job finding\searching expense, business publications \ subscriptions, etc., etc., mileage, phone expense, secondary phone line, internet expense, etc....

Rich people dont pay taxes.... remember ? :D

I used to do my own, then when I bought a new house, and kept my condo as a rental, I didnt want to mess with my own taxes for fear of doing it wrong. Got a referral to a good tax guy, and have been going to him for 6 years. He is a "little creative" but never goes to the "red flag" limit on anything. I have increased my with holdings to a crazy level both state and fed, but still get a nice 4 figure refund, even though I continue to adjust every year ! Its the best $95 I spend every year !!! He has all of my previous stuff on file, and all it takes is a 30 minutes visit to do every year. :thumbup:

If you are making a good living, you should look into having a "pro" do it for you. "Turbo Tax" etc. is cool, but I find the "tax guy" works GREAT !

I hate paying taxes to, but I dont mind doing them ! Ask around and see if your friends \ family \ co-workers "have a guy"....

:thumbup: Yep, my guy costs $100, he does it all except for signing it. heck he even mails it for me. I got my refund check a month ago. :)

FTG
03-20-06, 02:07 PM
Why is it a person gets penalized for having a good income?!!

Try working at Walmart for a while and paying the same amount of taxes as the average Walmart worker. Let me know how it works out.

Spicoli
03-20-06, 02:38 PM
Another reason to have some kids. :D

Wheel-Nut
03-20-06, 02:52 PM
Try working at Walmart for a while and paying the same amount of taxes as the average Walmart worker. Let me know how it works out.

Not the point . . . It's not like I don't pay throughout the year, $20k +

Wheel-Nut
03-20-06, 02:56 PM
Another reason to have some kids. :D

I've got 2 and try for more all the time!!

Ankf00
03-20-06, 02:58 PM
How much tax credit do you get for home ownership? I've got that going for me this year :D

I've got 2 and try for more all the time!!
Just be sure to stop short of 14 :)

KLang
03-20-06, 03:00 PM
How much tax credit do you get for home ownership? I've got that going for me this year :D

Just hope you pay more in interest and property taxes then the standard deduction.

cameraman
03-20-06, 03:01 PM
I know how much money I make.
I know how much money my wife makes.
I have a good idea about how much money the investments will return.
I have a reasonable hunch about farm income but that one is a bit like Vegas...
I know the tax laws reasonably well.

I haven't missed by more than $600 either way in a decade or so.

If you are getting a multi-thousand dollar refund you are just giving the feds an interest free loan. Doing it right means you write them a check for a couple hundred bucks on April 15 and go on your way.

It isn't that hard.

Wheel-Nut
03-20-06, 03:23 PM

Just be sure to stop short of 14 :)

You can deduct interest on your mortgage and any property taxes paid.

Spicoli
03-20-06, 04:16 PM

If you are getting a multi-thousand dollar refund you are just giving the feds an interest free loan. Doing it right means you write them a check for a couple hundred bucks on April 15 and go on your way.

It isn't that hard.

Yep. It pays to be a little bit organized and pro-active :)

racer2c
03-20-06, 05:29 PM
The satisfaction I get by receiving a refund check in lieu of writing one overshadows any feelings about interest free loans to the govt.

I'm easily amused. :)

Winston Wolfe
03-20-06, 06:25 PM
The satisfaction I get by receiving a refund check in lieu of writing one overshadows any feelings about interest free loans to the govt.

I'm easily amused. :)

R2C - i am with you my brutha ! :D

I enjoy getting a nice refund check, which I promptly use to pay off my ridiculously high semi annual property tax bill here is sunny SoCal.... sure, I could get 1.8% - 4% interest on the money on a yearly basis if I changed by deductions to lessen the refund, but hey, I love having Uncle Sam give me back some of my hard earned cash each year, after I already give him some of mine.... I am going to add 2 additional deductions to Fed this year, to lessen the amount... my refund this year is higher than usual, and will easily cover the property tax bill, and maybe it could even fund some of the festivities at LBGP this year !!! w00t ! :thumbup:

TravelGal
03-21-06, 02:43 AM
and maybe it could even fund some of the festivities at LBGP this year !!! w00t ! :thumbup:

I knew I could find some good news SOMEWHERE in this thread! :thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
03-21-06, 07:47 AM
I made 13-14k a year from 2002-2004 and always ended up paying. I only made 10k last year because I didn't really feel like working, and somehow I'm getting like $200 or something back. Doesn't make much sense to me.

I've never been able to deduct much of anything as far as tuition and such, because of my dad claiming me as a dependant, but with me moving out this summer I should be better off tax-wise in '06.

Stu
03-21-06, 08:16 AM
All you guys that are getting refunds, you all realize that means that you just paid them too much money already and they are giving some of YOUR OWN MONEY BACK right? :)

Its nothing special. If anything, its better when you owe them. Because then you have the money in your possession for a longer period of time and you can invest it or whatever you want.

Its like saying. You owe someone $10,000 dollars. You can pay them $15,000 now and get $5,000 back in a year, OR pay them $5,000 now and $5,000 later.

Which would you rather do?

You know why taxes are taken out of your paycheck everyweek instead of you just writing a big check every April? Cuz if you really realized how much you were paying, no one would pay.

Spicoli
03-21-06, 08:32 AM
I made 13-14k a year from 2002-2004 and always ended up paying. I only made 10k last year because I didn't really feel like working

Wassup BIG ROLLAH! :gomer:

:rofl:

No wonder you're still a virgin.

Stu
03-21-06, 08:32 AM
http://www.ultrasecretwebsite.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/burnsauce.gif

TKGAngel
03-21-06, 09:27 AM
If it weren't for the student loan interest deduction, I probably would have had to pay a small amount on my federal taxes. I'm also completely shocked that I got a refund from NYS, which has never happened to me before.

racer2c
03-21-06, 11:16 AM
All you guys that are getting refunds, you all realize that means that you just paid them too much money already and they are giving some of YOUR OWN MONEY BACK right? :)

Its nothing special. If anything, its better when you owe them. Because then you have the money in your possession for a longer period of time and you can invest it or whatever you want.

Its like saying. You owe someone $10,000 dollars. You can pay them $15,000 now and get $5,000 back in a year, OR pay them $5,000 now and $5,000 later.

Which would you rather do?

You know why taxes are taken out of your paycheck everyweek instead of you just writing a big check every April? Cuz if you really realized how much you were paying, no one would pay.

Well golly gee, I never knew. :gomer:

I don't get thousands back. I'm talking a couple hundred bucks.

Insomniac
03-21-06, 11:18 AM
Just hope you pay more in interest and property taxes then the standard deduction.

That pretty much gets me. I can't creatively find enough deductions to get more than the standard deduction.

Insomniac
03-21-06, 11:19 AM

It isn't that hard.

This year I adjusted my withholding to be a little more than my liability last year. Now I get to write a check with no penalty. :)

Insomniac
03-21-06, 11:22 AM

Shhhhh....The gov't doesn't want people to know about payroll tax too. ;)

Sean O'Gorman
03-21-06, 02:07 PM
Wassup BIG ROLLAH! :gomer:

Uhh, how much did you expect me to making working part time in college?

Ankf00
03-21-06, 02:10 PM
... and O'Gorman proves why he is the Montreal Expos of hateball.

Stu
03-21-06, 02:36 PM

more than 10k for all of 2005 considering you were done with School in June.

Spicoli
03-21-06, 02:39 PM

Are you going full time now? :thumbup:

http://www.shopcollegesquare.com/merchants/kinkos_staff.jpg

get ya some 28k plus bennies, yo! one week off after a year service?

:laugh: