PDA

View Full Version : New SUV Questions

Elmo T
03-17-06, 03:36 PM
We are starting to look at replacing our 1995 Saturn SL2 (200K miles on it :thumbup: ) sometime this year. We want something AWD or 4WD, roomy enough for a 6 footer, needs DVD for the little ones. Trying to avoid a full-sized SUV.

Today we looked at the new Subaru Tribeca SUV. We've never owned a "Subie", though friends and family speak highly of them.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2005/0502_subaru_tribeca_1.jpg

I've also been checking out the new Saab SUV, though I haven't gotten to see it in person. Looks similar to the Subaru, same options, etc. Pricing on the Saab would be better for me because I am eligible for the GM Family discount.

http://www.carbuyersnotebook.com/9-7.jpg

Anyone driving either of these? Any other suggestions? Note: While we want something nice, we'd prefer not to have to sell one of the kids to afford this thing.

Insomniac
03-17-06, 04:23 PM
I'm a big Subaru fan. It's intersting you mention Subaru/Saab. I know the Saab 9-2x come right off the same line as the Subaru Impreza. I thought maybe the SUV did too. Alas, it doesn't. The Saab 9-7x is based on a GM chassis and is mostly a modified Chevy Trail Blazer. But they do say that they expect a 2007 Saab 9-6x that will basically be a renamed Subaru B9 Tribeca.

I haven't really helped you much on what to recommend. We've owned a Subaru since 1993 and aside from my brother constantly wrecking our first one until it was pointless to fix, it never had any mechanical problems. Our current one, a 2001 Legacy runs perfectly (I know it's not that old). The AWD was very helpful in WV, not so much in KS.

I've known many people who owned one in WV for many, many years with little complaint. The nly complaint, which probably applies to you is usally regret over buying a new model they just introduced (the Forester). There always seems to be a tendency for recalls and other problems.

Ankf00
03-17-06, 04:46 PM
I love Subarus myself, but I've read that the Tribeca's expensive and underpowered compared to comparable rides...

Wabbit
03-17-06, 04:54 PM
Look at the Saturn VUE. We had a 2002 V6 (our 4th Saturn) we loved, wish I still had it, but needed to upgrade to a Suburban for the tow capacity.

If you can wait a few more months, the GreenLine will be coming out. It's a hybrid that is getting actual testing milage (not EPA) of 32+ MPG.

Man, I miss the milage that VUE got.

Gnam
03-17-06, 05:47 PM
:thumbup: on the Subaru. Although parts are expensive 'cause they come from the factory.
:thumbup: on the Vue.

Also, the Scion xB is huge inside.