PDA

View Full Version : Who went to high school in the 80's?

Warlock!
03-30-03, 07:56 PM
VH1 has "Metal Mania" or somethin' goin on all day today. Talk about gettin thrown back into puberty!

If you think today's music sucks, listen to some of this stuff. Y&T, Shotgun Messiah, Pretty Boy Floyd, Bullet Boys, LA Guns, Poison... Hairspray, lipstick, black leather... how I made it into the 90's as a hetero male is beyond me!

Some good stuff in there as well... Check it!:rofl:

Warlock!

rabbit
03-30-03, 08:00 PM
Class of '92. I was part of the generation that entered high school with Poison :gomer: and left with Nirvana.:cool:

Cam
03-30-03, 08:21 PM
CRAP!!!! Now I feel old! Thanks 'lock!!!! I was class of '80! :shakehead

RTKar
03-30-03, 09:37 PM
Missed it by "that" much, class of 79, college though class of 83.

TRDfan
03-30-03, 10:01 PM
Class of 84.

I was a somewhat-metal head, but did celebrate a couple days after graduation in the front row of a Judas Priest concert.

Oh my ears.......

mnkywrch
03-30-03, 10:35 PM
Class of '95.

DaveL
03-30-03, 10:58 PM
I'm class of '84. Watching "Square Pegs" or "Freeks and Geeks" is like watching my high school all over again.

I didn't care much for Metal. I was a Police/Dire Straits/XTC/Clash/Jam etc. kind of guy...and still am.

If want a total 80s time warp, watch "I Love The 80s" when VH1 shows it. It is hi-effing-larious.

rocket
03-30-03, 11:30 PM
I'm there with ya Warlock!, class of 85. My taste though was more down the line of Iron Maiden, Ronnie James Dio, Accept...you know, all the real heavy metal...no such thing nowadays. Although as far as I'm concerned, you can't top Ozzy or Ted Nugent.:thumbup:

chop456
03-31-03, 12:22 AM
'88 Here. And I'm every bit as cool now as I was then. :gomer:

Napoleon
03-31-03, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by RTKar
Missed it by "that" much, class of 79, college though class of 83.

Ditto here.

Warlock!
03-31-03, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by rocket
I'm there with ya Warlock!, class of 85. My taste though was more down the line of Iron Maiden, Ronnie James Dio, Accept...you know, all the real heavy metal...no such thing nowadays. Like I said, some good stuff in there too. I saw Maiden's Run to the Hills, Dio's Last in Line, Accept's Balls to the Wall (remember their singer Udo Dirkschneider riding the wrecking ball??? :rofl: ). Also played old Megadeth and Metallica, Judas Priest, Testament. I wasn't into the 'Hairspray Metal' either... the band I was in covered all the heavier stuff.

My son (3 1/2 yo) and I sat around for a few hours just entranced by these old videos. I think he was just diggin' all the cleavage and legs they showed ;)

I think my fav tho was the beginning of David Lee Roth's Yankee Rose video, where it starts off in an Arabic dude's grocery store. Some good lines... "Oohh... breath mint. Our lips are so close", or "Can someone help me?!? My doctor says I have to take a laxitive!!!", and Roth, in full African native facepaint, headdress and garb, "Gimme a bottle of anything... and a glazed donut... to go (go... go... go... go...)

Warlock!

lone_groover
03-31-03, 08:52 AM
'79, '83

Nap, RT, and me make 3. ;)

mapguy
03-31-03, 08:58 AM
Class of 87 here. Although I was more into the New Wave music scene. Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, etc...

RacinM3
03-31-03, 11:46 AM
1985 - god i feel old.

mnkywrch
03-31-03, 11:56 AM
One of my brothers was born in 1985.

He graduates from high school in May.

:D

Turn7
03-31-03, 12:37 PM
Class of '86.

I listened to everything from The Outfield to Krokus. Sammy Haggar to the Flock of Seagulls. No madona, prince or whitney houston, you have to draw the line somewhere.

datachicane
03-31-03, 02:26 PM
Class of '82, but I was a total throwback.
Nothing but Hendrix, the Dead, Hendrix, Neil Young, Hendrix, etc.
I was convinced that Western civilization had peaked about ten years earlier, and was in a rapid decline.

I distinctly remember MTV.
I remember turning it on.
I remember seeing Madonna, Flock of Seagulls and Planet P.
I remember turning it off.

:D

cart7
03-31-03, 02:27 PM
Class of '76 here.

Please 'bird, sign in on this one, I'm feeling real old right about here. ;)

skidmarks
03-31-03, 02:54 PM
High Skool from '85-'88

Biggest event outside sports for me was the AIR BAND contest.

We had a band and could actually play the music (somewhat) but lost out each year. We played Ozzy, Anthrax and real Metalica (before they became a balad band) and lost to pretty boys doing Ratt.

Now where did I put my mullett?

racer2c
03-31-03, 03:23 PM
I graduated from Osbourn Park High School in Manassas Virginia, 1986. There were 2600 students and the school was a 'modern' open classroom design. The teachers never knew what kids where in what class. We took advantage of course. We had a designated 'smoking area' that was done away with the year after my graduation.

Burnouts in the parking lot, Metallica at full blast, smoking in the boys room (I'll never forget hotboxed cigarettes) and girls. *Sigh*

Warlock!
03-31-03, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by racer2c
Burnouts in the parking lot, Metallica at full blast, smoking in the boys room (I'll never forget hotboxed cigarettes) and girls. *Sigh*
Quick show of hands...

Who else in here got suspended for drinking before school, aka the "Liquid Breakfast"? :confused: :o

Ahh yes... the stupidity of my high school years...:shakehead

Warlock!

mapguy
03-31-03, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Warlock!
Quick show of hands...

Who else in here got suspended for drinking before school, aka the "Liquid Breakfast"? :confused: :o

Warlock!

I got suspended for liquid lunches. Does that count? We used to bring in small bottles of apple juice with it half filled with AJ and the other with JD. Called 'em Apple Jacks... :D

TRDfan
03-31-03, 04:37 PM
We called them "Fruit Loop parties" never once got busted

Sean O'Gorman
03-31-03, 04:42 PM
You guys sure have good stories for being a bunch of old farts. :D Of course, being the dork that I was (or still am for that matter), instead of taking advantage of the fact that I went to a Catholic high school with like a 10 to 1 hottie to ugly chick ratio, I spent all my free time at work. Now I go to a college where the 10:1 ratio seems to be how many children each female at my school has. :laugh: :cry:

Turn7
03-31-03, 06:10 PM
We always did oh, bob parties.

You watch the Bob Newhart show and every time somebody says "oh bob" you drink some sort of swill. Needless to say about 15 minutes into the show everybody is lit up pretty good.

Ziggy
03-31-03, 06:42 PM
Class of 1980

Its a shame that the music buying public allowed such drivel to be shoved down their throats.

Some great Rock and Roll bands went through this disco era without ever selling a whole lot of vinyl.

UFO, kicked major ass
Pat Travers Band, uh, see above
Rory Gallagher, Irish Blues Legend with plenty of cross over potential
Thin Lizzy, Another Irish front man, with plenty of chops backing Him up (RIP Phil, the boys are still kicking)
Wishbone Ash
BeeBoop Delux

I also was raised in a household with older siblings. Hendrix, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Bob Dylan, Ian Hunter, Small Faces, Beatles, Stones, Dave Clark Five, SpookyTooth, Deep Purple, etc.

Make mine John Hiatt these days, as long as Sonny is playing with him.
Ry Cooder has a new record out, first one in a long time.

Bands like those mentioned in VH1 80's series I would not give the time of day. Freakin' hair bands, more worried about their looks and image rather than their music. I bought my first blues album in 1981, and have not been back for quite some time to mainstream Rock and Roll.

Gary Moore rules the world

Ziggy

Ziggy
03-31-03, 06:45 PM
Oh, and I wont say how old Railbird is, but the other day he was showing me his class ring, and it had ROMAN NUMERALS on it!

Ziggy

PS - Eagle is a member of the "500 Oldtimers Club" but claims to be just slightly older than myself! LIar LiAR panTS on FIRe

Ziggy

RichK
03-31-03, 07:11 PM
Class of '85. I was way into Rush, Yes, Missing Persons, and jazz. I did have some tapes of Motley Crue, Ratt, and a few other hair bands.....I admit it! :gomer: :laugh:

Don Quixote
03-31-03, 08:25 PM
Class of '75. If my back didn't always hurt, it would feel like only yesterday.

flobee1kenobi
03-31-03, 09:20 PM
Class of 88'
I graduated in the same class as Kirk Herbstriet,but I was surrounded by people who listened to (especially at that time)alternative music.
Violent Femmes, B-52's, Misfits, Dead kennedys, Primus

But I also had my fill of Pfunk, CSN, Floyd, Ray Charles, and Dylan

Me and my brother,Icekub,were racing tyco cars in the livingroom when MTV switched from those weird computer graphics that danced,to real video's

rocket
03-31-03, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Warlock!
Quick show of hands...

Warlock!

We would routinely go through a pint of Jack D. (each) for breakfast. Never got caught though, came close a couple times when we put a fifth away...sittin' in 1st hour civics class the dean came to talk to me about somthin' and I could hardly walk out the door, I don't know how I ever got away with that one.

I had the system figured out though, I was able to get one day suspensions on any Friday or Monday to make a 3 day weekend. It was all a matter of timming the "crime" right.:thumbup:

Another funny story: on senior skip day, we were drinking at a forest preserve, had two 1/2 barrels, hiding behind a table covered with a blanket, when the forest preserve police rolled up on us. On the way over they looked into one of my buddies trucks, and found some paraphenalia, well they cuffed him and tossed him in the back of the squad, and while they were questioning the rest of us somebody snuck over and slashed all 4 tires on the squad car with our buddy in it. We were trying to keep him out of jail at all costs.:D :thumbup: :D The cops were irrate to say the least, everyone got in trouble, but back at school the next day some of the teachers heard about it, One of them thought it was so funny he gave us extra credit points if you could provide paperwork proving you were there.

The '85 class has gone down in that shools history as the toughest class ever, so I've been told from people that have graduated before me, and after..

JLMannin
04-01-03, 01:04 PM
Class of 1985. I never was into metal. I was (and still am) a fan of The Alan Parsons Project, Foreigner, and Chicago. In college, I kind of liked Heart, but hated U2 with a passion. Now, I really like U2 - perhaps because of the dearth of bubble gum rock in the 90's. Pink Floyd has grown on me as well.

cart7
04-01-03, 02:08 PM
We always did oh, bob parties.

I remember those as "Hi Bob" parties. Click up a re-run of The Newhart show. Every time someone says "Bob", you take a swig of beer. When someone says "Hi Bob", you have to guzzle what's left in the can.

And yes, you'll be plastered by the time the show is half over. ;)

Foxman
04-01-03, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
Class of '92. I was part of the generation that entered high school with Poison :gomer: and left with Nirvana.:cool:

I'm with you, class of 93. We entered with that wuss rock and ended with cool stuff like Nirvana, Metallica's Black Album, Soundgarden, Rage, etc.

turn1
04-01-03, 04:55 PM
'86 here, but I leaned more towards "alternative" and "progressive" rock....

Bring Back The Replacements!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G.
04-02-03, 12:04 PM
Oh, what an awesome diversion from war news...

Class of '84 (out da door in 84).

Ozzy
ACDC
Nazareth
Billy Squire
Joan Jett
REO (for the ladies ;) )

Also lots of older stuff, influenced by older siblings. Big Zep fan.

Anyone remember Head East? Still listen to that one-hit-wonder CD (the whole CD is great!).

Southern Comfort in the morning just tastes right. My HS had open campus for lunch. Laws were broken everyday. Amazing that I didn't ever get arrested. Oh, wait... I did.

I avoided speed metal in college, I just knew that if I listened to Metallica that I would become "one of them". Guns n Roses (now THAT is a sad story!) ruled. I admit to being the owner of far too many hairband CD's.

DjDrOmusic
04-02-03, 01:37 PM
Class of 76 here, we actually got to hear Queen, Thin Lizzy, Heart and Fleetwood Mac when they were new! Yes I remember the 80's well, as I had to play a good amount of the music from that decade, although I took a job as a Program Director for a radio station Pennsylvania, and changed the format enough to keep most of the crap off the air. I guess it could be called Classic Rock, before that format actually came to be. Now I find myself playing 80's stuff every Thursday night, because I can stomach it more than (c)rap! ;)

Wheel-Nut
04-02-03, 03:00 PM
Class of '85 here. This thread got me to thinking of the "glory days!"

Pulled out an old cd this a.m. for the drive into work; Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime.

Those were the days.

nz_climber
04-04-03, 08:44 AM
They have cd's with old music on them :eek:

Well you guys make me feel really young still, I was only born in 82!! so i manage not remember the 80's, class of 2K!!

Grew up with Rolling Stone etc, all that 70's erea that my folks listend to, wasn't till lately but now into dance, house music...

catch ya round

Aaron