PDA

View Full Version : T.O signs with Dallas...

jcollins28
03-17-06, 01:35 AM
I can't believe it! I really do not know what to do? How can Dallas sign this guy? Man I'm very conflicted right now about my football team...

Ankf00
03-17-06, 01:37 AM
how the hell are you a cowboys fan? :saywhat:

everything Dallas == the suck...

T.O. == Jerry Jones == slime...

Wheel-Nut
03-17-06, 10:16 AM
Dallas deserves T.O. :rofl: Suckers!!!

Insomniac
03-17-06, 10:34 AM
I can't believe it! I really do not know what to do? How can Dallas sign this guy? Man I'm very conflicted right now about my football team...

How are you conflicted about that? T.O. is one of the best receivers in the NFL. Sure, he can act like a turd, but he always produces on field. He's a beast and the Cowboys got better (assuming the deal is done).

FTG
03-17-06, 11:43 AM
Is he a cancer, or does he turn into one after a year or two?

I'd say that later. He can be good for a season. Plus, if there's no signing bonus, you can cut him any time. But if he didn't like Garcia and McNabb he ain't going to be too happy with Bledsoe.

The Boys still need a lineman or two, otherwise Bledsoe won't have time to throw the ball to anyone.

If this happens, I'll bet that TO gets 5 touchdowns against the Eagles in 2 games.

Gnam
03-17-06, 01:39 PM
http://home.ripway.com/2005-1/253963/owens_star1.jpg

Gotta admit to loving that moment.

dando
03-17-06, 01:52 PM
Gotta admit to loving that moment.

:thumbup:

-Kevin

FTG
03-17-06, 03:19 PM
The Cowboys denied a report late Thursday night from KLBK/Ch. 13 in Lubbock that the team had reached an agreement with free-agent receiver Terrell Owens.

The report, citing a source with the Cowboys, also said the team would have a news conference Monday to introduce Owens.

Cowboys spokesman Rich Dalrymple said, "We've got nothing planned."

ESPN also reported that a source close to Owens said the KLBK report is incorrect.

Insomniac
03-17-06, 04:08 PM
Is he a cancer, or does he turn into one after a year or two?

I'd say that later. He can be good for a season. Plus, if there's no signing bonus, you can cut him any time. But if he didn't like Garcia and McNabb he ain't going to be too happy with Bledsoe.

The Boys still need a lineman or two, otherwise Bledsoe won't have time to throw the ball to anyone.

If this happens, I'll bet that TO gets 5 touchdowns against the Eagles in 2 games.

T.O. is a weird one. In SF, he blew up because he wanted the ball more. In Philly, he blew up over money. Obviously, I simplified it all. I don't think anyone knows what makes him do what he does. Sometimes he says things that make sense (like people calling him selfish for playing in the Super Bowl, when if it was almost anyone else in the league, the media would've been eating it up) and then wantiong a new contract, after signing one the NFLPA told him not to sign.

So Dallas fans should hope he gets the money he wants and the ball. :)

Ankf00
03-17-06, 04:12 PM
the whole philly thing happened b/c his agent was a complete tosser and missed the deadline for filing for his free agency...

FTG
03-18-06, 09:49 AM
Looks like its done.

Eric Allen agrees with me:

"Finally, this was a no-brainer for the Cowboys because Owens has shown before that the first year of a contract is the honeymoon period for him. He has a ton of incentive to stay on his best behavior this first season and do what he's told and produce on the football field because he can start to whine about a new contract in his second season after he's put up some numbers that show he's still a top 5 receiver."

Also, get Terry Glenn in our Fantasy league. With single coverage, he'll have a huge year. (Assuming, he can stay healthy of course.)

FTG
03-18-06, 09:53 AM
Skip Bayless agrees with me too:

"And if you think Owens caused trouble for quarterbacks Jeff Garcia in San Francisco and Donovan McNabb in Philly, wait till he gets through with whiny, thin-skinned Drew Bledsoe."

Ankf00
03-18-06, 11:36 AM
Skip Bayless is an even bigger dumbass than Jason Whitlock, citing him doesn't exactly bring any credibility to your argument ;)

Although Bayless does weigh under 700 pounds, unlike Whitlock, so he does have that going for him :gomer:

FTG
03-18-06, 11:47 AM
Skip Bayless is an even bigger dumbass than Jason Whitlock,

True dat. Didn't he once "out" someone who turned out to be straight?

Andrew Longman
03-18-06, 11:49 AM
As a Giant fan I could only be happier if he had signed with the Jets. :D

Ankf00
03-18-06, 04:15 PM
True dat. Didn't he once "out" someone who turned out to be straight?

yea, Troy Aikman...

Insomniac
03-18-06, 05:43 PM
the whole philly thing happened b/c his agent was a complete tosser and missed the deadline for filing for his free agency...

But even then, he was poised to win his freedom and instead chose to sign with Philly against the NFLPA's advice. T.O. could've been free but wanted to play in Philly and liked his contract at the time.

FTG
03-18-06, 06:28 PM
Don't know why bayless isn't working at Mcdonalds after that, but he's right that McNabb might start looking pretty good to TO.

Ankf00
03-18-06, 06:31 PM
There was a great article by a chicago sportswriter during the college FB season about how Bayless has been run out of every town he's worked in b/c he is such a dumb ass... Like Whitlock, never been able to keep a steady gig, except ESPN Page 2 likes both of them, douchebags unite!!!

Honestly don't know how Cold Pizza hasn't been canned :saywhat:

I love the cowboys, douche central, it's like flies to honey. Hilarity ensues...

FTG
03-18-06, 08:26 PM
If given the opportunity to date Angelina Jolie, you guys would say "Oh she's crazy. It'll never last. She has sex with other women. Dallas sucks. I'm so cool."

A real man would bang the hell out of Angelina, and her lesbian friends, then dump her before she gets too nuts.

As long as Jerry has the balls to dump TO when the time comes, it'll work out OK.

Ankf00
03-18-06, 10:35 PM
Well, I for one would rather my team be built for success over a few years rather than just one followed by epic implosion, that's just me though...

FTG
03-19-06, 11:33 AM
From a local Dallas reporter

"Expect Terrell Owens to have a monster debut season with the Cowboys. Expect him to return to his Pro Bowl form. Expect him to be driven to prove all of his doubters wrong.

Owens will work harder than he's ever worked in 2006. He'll play harder than he's ever played. He'll be a better teammate and a better person than he's ever been. He'll be out to prove he got a bum rap at Philadelphia and, before that, San Francisco.

For a year, anyway, the Cowboys will see the lovable, talented side of Terrell Owens. So did the Eagles. But then that second year, watch out."

The Patriots dump stars every year. They do OK. The problem will come when Jerry realizes that Snyder will sign TO if Jerry cuts TO. Then Jerry will be tempted to "try to make it work" like the Eagles did. But that's the future. If the Boys get one more good offensive lineman this year, they'll have a good year.

Ankf00
03-19-06, 11:40 AM
Roy Williams and Terrance Newman learning how to cover wouldn't be bad either ;)

pchall
03-19-06, 12:09 PM
I can't think of any other NFL team I'd rather have Owens screw up with his antics more than the Cowgirls. :D

jcollins28
03-19-06, 12:31 PM
Roy Williams and Terrance Newman learning how to cover wouldn't be bad either ;)

Come on Ank Roy Williams is not nearly as bad in coverage as people makes him out to be. Newman was solid last year so I don't get you bringing him up in this? Still living in the past when he struggled with injuries and was paired with a revolving door at the other conerback position in 04 maybe?

Ankf00
03-19-06, 01:07 PM
Roy Williams is great hitter and tackler, finishes well. If they're making rules against the way you tackle, you're doing something right ;) But his coverage is average and he gets burnt a fair amount. With better corner play it wouldn't be as big of an issue...

Terence Newman is not a top 5 draft pick and has been a running joke in-state the entire time he's been a pro. He was supposed to be a shutdown corner, not quite... The fans rip on him non-stop.

as for the TO business, who's going to keep him in check other than Parcells? Where's the leadership to put him in his place? Dat Nguyen retired, Dan Campbell hasn't heard from Parcells in 4 months and realizes they're not going to offer him, he was a team captain. Cowboys have signed 3 linemen and unless Larry Allen restructures they'll cut him before his roster bonus hits next month. La'roi Glover's out...

Parcells has it all on his shoulders now. Then again, this does make for good drama, so Sundays & Mondays will be that much more interesting :)

jcollins28
03-19-06, 01:34 PM
Hmm I seem to recall T-New being in rare company of shutting down Steve Smith this past season. In fact teams routinely went away from him in 05. SI's Dr. Z had him rated as THE best cover corner in the league last year. IMHO he was in the top 5 and should have been in the pro-bowl.

Ankf00
03-19-06, 01:55 PM
I loved the part where he ducked while a Redskin ran him over for the score, ballsy...

jcollins28
03-19-06, 01:59 PM
I loved the part where he ducked while a Redskin ran him over for the score, ballsy...

Well I seem to remember Deion getting run over by Kerry Collins and Deion was pretty good. It happens to them all at some point. The point is that Newman had more good plays then bad plays last year. That is all I care about.

Ankf00
03-19-06, 02:23 PM
that's all you want for top 5 money?

edit: another thing I don't get about TO, he gets himself into these corners, he's not Ray Lewis, he's not Jamal Lewis, he's not Randy Moss or Rae Carruth. But he still gets himself into these situations....

jcollins28
03-19-06, 02:27 PM
that's all you want for top 5 money?

No Newman is improving every year. I look for him to firmly establish himself this year. BTW I do not think his contract is in the top 5 for his position.

Ankf00
03-19-06, 02:32 PM
I meant draft pick, massive signing bonus, all that jazz... Jerry Jones also has a habit of keeping people around a bit too long. If Newman doesn't perform you're going to have a Lavar Arrington situation where a top pick is retained for yet more big money he never earned just b/c the owner doesn't want to admit defeat and move on...

jcollins28
03-19-06, 02:46 PM
I meant draft pick, massive signing bonus, all that jazz... Jerry Jones also has a habit of keeping people around a bit too long. If Newman doesn't perform you're going to have a Lavar Arrington situation where a top pick is retained for yet more big money he never earned just b/c the owner doesn't want to admit defeat and move on...

Yeah that is true but IMHO Newman has played to his draft pick and contract. There is no other cornerbacks that are playing better then Newman in that years draft. Marcus Trufant went 11th to Seattle and has been a huge disappointment in comparison to Newman. Dallas needed a coner in that draft and Newman has filled that void with solid play and he will only get better. Newman is not the weak link in the Dallas secondary. That is the gaping hole at free safety. It is to bad the Boys can not draft Huff. That is who they really need. Sadly though I see him going to the Lions and wasting away there along side the other Roy Williams. I hate it when players I like go to bad teams.

Ankf00
03-19-06, 02:49 PM
you're right, that was a weak draft for db's, previous year was better...

imo, even if Huff was available, Jones wouldn't pick him. The Arky is all about drafting Big XII players as long as they're not from Austin. I like Huff b/c he uses his head, plays all 3 db positions, calls the d audibles as he sees fit

Ankf00
08-27-06, 12:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2562846

TO fined $9,500 and the season hasn't even started yet. :laugh: :rofl:

A match made in heaven.

dando
08-27-06, 01:01 PM
<mock surprise> I didn't see this coming.</mock surprise>

Couldn't happen to a better team. :gomer:

-Kevin

Stu
08-27-06, 01:03 PM
only 9500? thats wack.

they should have fines be a % of salary, not a set number. no reason TO should be paying 9500 for missing meetings, thats chump change to him.

bring on the flat tax. :thumbup: :)

Ankf00
08-27-06, 01:08 PM
I'm pretty sure he spent at least that much for him and his posse at this lounge a couple blocks away back in May. Guess he'll have to lay off the booze one weekend to make up the $$$ :gomer:

racermike
08-27-06, 02:32 PM
My over/under or the number of weeks into the regular season before Jerry Jones is tired of Terrell's BS, is about 4.5 weeks. He will either be suspended, or benched for the year (make him sit the season out again before trading, or officially cutting him)

Nobody deserves this cancer on their team. It totally distracts from the team goals, and is an insult to every other player on the team, who is trying their best to keep their eyes on the prize. TO's eyes are only on himself.

devilmaster
08-27-06, 04:53 PM
My over/under or the number of weeks into the regular season before Jerry Jones is tired of Terrell's BS, is about 4.5 weeks. He will either be suspended, or benched for the year (make him sit the season out again before trading, or officially cutting him)

good god I hope so. I'd love to see every team pass on him, and that he has no team that will pick him up.

Nobody deserves this cancer on their team. It totally distracts from the team goals, and is an insult to every other player on the team, who is trying their best to keep their eyes on the prize. TO's eyes are only on himself.

Yep. But i suspect there will always be an owner who thinks it'll be different on their team.

dando
08-27-06, 04:56 PM
good god I hope so. I'd love to see every team pass on him, and that he has no team that will pick him up.

Nah. I'm certain Detroit will always need an extra WR. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

devilmaster
08-27-06, 05:05 PM
Nah. I'm certain Detroit will always need an extra WR. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

actually, I should be hoping that TO works out well in Dallas. I got stuck with Dallas' QB on my fantasy team.....

I honestly assume that by the time TO is signed by detroit, I will already have started supporting a new team. I am getting soooooooooo tired of Millen and his stupidity. On a detroit sports forum, I got into a flame war with a guy because I said that Millen should be held responsible for the crap in camp with punishing Mike Williams and Charles Rogers. He told me that my type of fan should go find another team to root for. Told him I was already working on that before his advice - his advice which I also told him to shove.

This is the first year in a long time where I haven't cared about the start of the NFL season. I am also happy that I have saved money since I gave up my Lions season tix.

Ankf00
08-27-06, 07:58 PM
Charles Rogers :laugh:

It's sad how w/ potentially the best WR corps since the 4 from the Oilers' Run & Shoot days the Lions can't do jack. But I suppose salary cap never hampered the Oilers back then, just Buddy Ryan and his suck s*** through a straw defense :mad:

Wheel-Nut
08-28-06, 11:06 AM
Dallas deserves T.O. :rofl: Suckers!!!

dando
08-29-06, 12:16 PM
On a detroit sports forum, I got into a flame war with a guy because I said that Millen should be held responsible for the crap in camp with punishing Mike Williams and Charles Rogers. He told me that my type of fan should go find another team to root for. Told him I was already working on that before his advice - his advice which I also told him to shove.

I continue to be amazed that Millen still has a job. Either he has compromising photos of Bill Ford Jr., or Ford is overwhelmed with dealing with the mess that FMC has become. :saywhat:

-Kevin

devilmaster
08-29-06, 12:29 PM
I continue to be amazed that Millen still has a job. Either he has compromising photos of Bill Ford Jr., or Ford is overwhelmed with dealing with the mess that FMC has become. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Bill Clay Sr. runs the football team. Rumour has it that Millen is a good dinner date for Sr. and that's why he's still around.

The real stupid thing is, that there is people here, who still think that this team is going to turn it around this year.

My prediction is that the honolulu blue and silver will start out 2-0 or 3-1 and get everyone's hopes up. Then they will lose 10 straight. On the last game of the season, they will be fighting for the right to pick 1st overall. Naturally, they will win the final game and then pick 6th or 7th.

They will draft another new QB or WR with that pick. And to be sure, that pick won't work out, while the team who picks after the Lions will get a 10 time pro-bowler. Bill Sr. will come out and declare that Matt's job is safe. Martz will take his greatest show on turf somewhere else after one year, saying 'The Rams tried to discredit me, The Rams tried to humiliate me and destroy my career. But hey, they are still better than the Lions.'

dando
08-29-06, 12:35 PM
Bill Clay Sr. runs the football team. Rumour has it that Millen is a good dinner date for Sr. and that's why he's still around.

Didn't Ford give Millen a vote of confidence before or during last season?

-Kevin

devilmaster
08-29-06, 12:38 PM
Didn't Ford give Millen a vote of confidence before or during last season?

-Kevin

The way Millen has been doing the job, Sr. should be giving votes of confidence daily.

Ankf00
08-29-06, 12:56 PM
I think it all comes down to o-line for detroit. Are they nimble enough & good enough with their footwork to execute proper zone blocking for Martz's Gillman-style WCO?

He'd have to whip Rogers & Mike Williams into shape, get them supremely disciplined in their route running. Williams is probably used to it due to the evolution of LaVell Edwards' Walsh-WCO that Chow tuaght him at USC. Kitna is experienced enough where he can probably handle the timing on all those medium & deep routes with aplomb. Another problem is RB, Martz uses that as a 4th WR heavily, but he requires that guy to be big enough for power running. So dunno if Brian Calhoun or Kevin Jones fills that role well.

a quick o-line + a big back w/ hands & I think detroit's offense will play decently. I mean, it has to be a s*** ton better than Joey Heisman, right? :)

FTG
08-29-06, 01:16 PM
I mean, it has to be a s*** ton better than Joey Heisman, right? :)

Or, there is no way they can be better than when they had Barry Sanders. ;)

devilmaster
08-29-06, 01:27 PM
Bingo.

Having a decent O-line is everything. And Detroit hasn't bothered to improve theirs in years.

When you have a crappy o-line you can't develop the play at all. So you're stuck with runs outside of the line, and 3 step drop slants. forget deep threats. Forget using a TE as a reciever.

The defense puts 7 or 8 into the box and count on the DB's to stop a pass.

That has been Detroit's offense since millen got here.

I think the NFL has found something that can stop Martz's greatest show on Turf. Too bad its the team he's on.

I'm not a joey fan or apologist. But he wasn't the problem. I had more faith in him than the current crop of castoffs from other teams. Kitna did nothing when Palmer got hurt, and McCown was drafted the same year as Joey, and he got dumped for Warner, who really hasn't shown his best stuff after he left Ramville.

And I freakin yearn for the old days under Fontes. At least there was a 9-7 or 10-6 season in there. And how about this for a stat - he is the only coach to give the Lions a playoff win since 1957.

Dr. Corkski
08-29-06, 01:45 PM
It's only a matter of time before Millen brings Scott Mitchell back.

dando
08-29-06, 01:55 PM
Kitna is experienced enough where he can probably handle the timing on all those medium & deep routes with aplomb.
While I love Kitna, and wish him the best, he just doesn't have the physical gifts to be a top QB in the NFL. His hands are simply too small, which results in him dropping the ball and/or fumbling frequently when under pressure (see playoff game vs. Pittsburgh). He'll put up some stats and win a few games, but he'll also blow a few with inopportune TOs. And yes, he'll be a helluva upgrade compared to Joey Heisman. :gomer:

-Kevin

FTG
08-30-06, 07:40 AM
SI thinks the O line will be even more important than TO.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/preview/2006/scout.report/cowboys.html

I agree. I think the Cowboys will be real good if they get good blocking, but Bledsoe needs more protection than any other quarterback in the league.