PDA

View Full Version : It's A New Track Record

NismoZ
03-16-06, 11:08 PM
Audi starts 1-2. McNish breaks the old mark by over 2 seconds. Everything proceeding according to plan. Read where these things run on a mere 5% mix of synthetic diesel fuel. Shell (Audi sponsor) to market a similar blend soon.

FCYTravis
03-16-06, 11:52 PM
Penske Porsches are as fast as we thought they'd be, qualifying 3-4, while the new Dyson Lola seems to be about as reliable as the old Dyson Lola and couldn't get closer than four seconds off the Audis.

Miracle Motorsports apparently cracked the gearbox and may not make the race. Who doesn't bring a spare gearbox to a 12-hour race?

It's gonna be a looooooooong 12 hours.

Sean O'Gorman
03-16-06, 11:56 PM
It's gonna be a looooooooong 12 hours.

But watching high-tech nevAr gets old!!

NismoZ
03-17-06, 11:59 AM
But those 150,000 event goers don't really care. We just need more Sprites, Triumphs, OSCAs and Alphas to fill out the field! Funny listening to "Sounds of Sebring, 1959" A V-12 Testa Rosa Team Ferrari screams by, followed by a 3 cylinder Saab, or something! The race will be fine. At 12 hours it can only be half as boring as Daytona. :D I'm guessing an Audi or a Porsche will win! :gomer:

cart7
03-17-06, 12:03 PM
Too bad ALMS can't draw those high-profile, seasoned road racers to the grid like Danica and Rusty the way GrandAm can. Also too bad we won't see 50 something prototype cars on the grid banging wheels with the GT class along with getting outbraked by them. :gomer:

extramundane
03-17-06, 02:37 PM
But watching high-tech nevAr gets old!!

Get back to me when someone other than Ganassi wins this year.

FCYTravis
03-17-06, 08:45 PM
DSC sez Miracle's getting a spare used gearbox air-freighted from Hewland just in the nick of time :thumbup:

extramundane
03-17-06, 08:59 PM
DSC sez Miracle's getting a spare used gearbox air-freighted from Hewland just in the nick of time :thumbup:

Too bad it's not still attached to an LC75.

Racing Truth
03-18-06, 02:22 PM
Let's see, 2+ hrs. in, and looky here. Audis dominating, Porsche Spyders have mechanical issues, and the Dysons can't stay w/ the R10. Gee, who would've called that? :gomer:

I'm enthralled. :gomer:

To be fair, though, the GT1 and GT2 classes are interesting. Nice to see the fine tradition of "Last Car Running" continues in P2.

FCYTravis
03-18-06, 06:10 PM
Actually, there's a change. This year, the "Last Car Running" battle is in P1. All but two cars have broken or gone behind the wall for extended periods, and there's just about 5 hours and 30 minutes to go.

It will be so ironic if a P2 wins this overall on reliability :rofl: :eek:

NismoZ
03-18-06, 06:48 PM
That's why it is called endurance racing. With that track surface a GT1 overall would not be a shock.

Racing Truth
03-18-06, 07:54 PM
Actually, there's a change. This year, the "Last Car Running" battle is in P1. All but two cars have broken or gone behind the wall for extended periods, and there's just about 5 hours and 30 minutes to go.

It will be so ironic if a P2 wins this overall on reliability :rofl: :eek:

I know. I feel like a fool now b/c P2s have been solid so far.

FCYTravis
03-18-06, 11:15 PM
Nope, you were right. P1s and P2s all broke.

extramundane
03-18-06, 11:19 PM
OMG! The Porsches not only win P2, they are going to win outright!!!1!11!1!!1!!! Privateers have no chance in amls! DPs r0x0rz!

extramundane
03-18-06, 11:24 PM
Nope, you were right. P1s and P2s all broke.

The racing season hasn't truly started until a Dyson cowling comes off and stays off.

Enge vs. Papis: Battle of the ex-EARL all-stars! :gomer:

extramundane
03-18-06, 11:59 PM
INTERSPORT!

Tom f'n Kristensen. Damn.

Bourdais brings the Panoz home to GT2 victory. GT2 is the shiznit this year. Panoz is hot, the 430 was fast out of the box, and the Lizards left Petersen & Job in the dust. Once PTG gets themselves straight, and Lexus & M-B arrive...

FCYTravis
03-19-06, 12:31 AM
GT2 is definitely *the* class this year.

There still isn't a privateer P1 that can hang with the Audis, but we all knew that. What we didn't know is that Audi actually does make racecars that break occasionally. :laugh:

Big ups to Intersport, Jon and Clint deserve that one bigtime :thumbup: They've been snakebit so, so many times.

I hope that whiny, annoying IRL commentator watches this race before the words "Penske perfect" come out of his mouth ever again :rofl:

extramundane
03-19-06, 01:11 AM
There still isn't a privateer P1 that can hang with the Audis, but we all knew that.

I don't know about that. The Dyson #16 was turning some damn fast laps. It looks like they're again in the position of trying to nail the reliability. I think Post-LM is going to be some classic racing.

Fio1
03-19-06, 02:46 AM
Le Mans will be ineteresting. I hope the Pescarolos can make a race of it. I think the Audis will win again, but hope it's a nice fight between the two. The Audi LMP car has to be the best race car ever built in the history of racing. It's absolutely amazing! :thumbup:

NismoZ
03-19-06, 07:42 PM
Tell me again, why did that diesel take pole at Indy in '52, then we never heard of it again? (PS-that one REALLY smoked!)

rjohnson999
03-21-06, 12:44 AM
In 1952 there was no diesel support infrastructure for passenger cars. In 1952 the U.S. was revving up its economic engine and not interested in anything not "modern." In 1952 the AAA, as USAC after it with the turbine, wasn't about to let something different topple the status quo.

Tell me again, why did that diesel take pole at Indy in '52, then we never heard of it again? (PS-that one REALLY smoked!)