PDA

View Full Version : 2006/2007 boost & rev limit question

ChrisB
03-15-06, 11:19 PM
I've been outta touch... what rpm limit are they running this year on the Coz's? And how many inches boost for roads, and how many for ovals?

And have they said yet what levels they'll use next year with the lighter chassis?

Insomniac
03-16-06, 11:25 AM
I've been outta touch... what rpm limit are they running this year on the Coz's? And how many inches boost for roads, and how many for ovals?

And have they said yet what levels they'll use next year with the lighter chassis?

Going from memory, they are staying the same this year. 700 HP on Road, 750 HP on Ovals with 50 additional HP with P2P. I don't think they discuss inches of boost (doesn't really matter since it's a spec engine). I haven't heard much about 2007, but they were thinking there would be a small boost in power (25 HP).

Andrew Longman
03-16-06, 11:57 AM
Per http://www.f1technical.net/articles/13

12000 rpm

1130mm boost

That was for 2004 and given that the tracks and cars haven't changed I suspect it is the same for 06

For 07, they hinted at the announcement of the DP01 (but didn't confirm)that Cosworth was likely to add 25 hp (to 825) in 07 which combined with a chassis that is 165 pounds lighter and smaller should be pretty cool

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/20107/

KLang
03-16-06, 11:59 AM
Wasn't there also talk of increasing the P2P horsepower to 100? I can't recall if it was for '06 or '07.

ChrisB
03-17-06, 07:55 PM
Thanks Andrew... according to that page it's....

Nominal power: 750 bhp at 1054mm Hg (Maximum intake pressure on road circuits. When on ovals maximum is 990mm Hg)
Maximum power: 800 bhp at 1130mm Hg.

Using this page:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm

That's 41.5" hg on roads, 39" on ovals, and 44.5" with P2P

Years ago, I was originally against how the IRL was mandating the same rev limit for everyone, mainly in principle, but also because of the "rev limiter farts". Howver the "soft limiter" (which was kinda like traction control at the top end) got rid of much of that problem. I'm sorta OK with rev limiting now.

I'm sorta thinkng ahead if they do a merger and Honda brings back it's 2.65 turbo. Limit both engines at 12k rpm and higher boost for roads, lower for ovals (and the P2P boost).

Andrew Longman
03-17-06, 08:49 PM
Clearly this is the best way to manage competition when compared to restrictor plates, aero drag devices, and other such stuff.

I think it's worked well for CCWS with a few exceptions.

For example, at Mexico City as they near the end of the frontstreach the cars routinely hit the limiter there and so you often see the drivers lifting slightly to avoid getting on the limiter.

Apparently it is not a matter of gearing because it happens to all the cars and its happen for the last two years. I guess the optimal ratios for the rest of the track won't give them a tall enough gear at that spot.

I'd like to see them move the limiter up (or down) a bit race to race to match it more perfectly to the track.