PDA

View Full Version : Kids get it

TRDfan
03-30-03, 06:27 PM
I took my two boys Saturday to the mall where they were displaying some of the stock cars from the local 5/8 mile oval.

They kept looking for "open wheel" cars, (To quote Geoffrey "cuz they're cool") but couldn't find any.

After checking the stock cars including a VW Bug, we hit the diecast store. Of course they could ID the numerous Gordon, Earnhardt and many other drivers diecasts.

Then Nicholas (4 1/2 yrs old) looked at the older gentleman working and asked: "Got any daMatta ?"

Guy had a complete blank stare. I told him, "He was CART champ last year and in Formula 1 now."

No reply.

Gave me a good laugh.

Steve

JSR
03-30-03, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by TRDfan

Guy had a complete blank stare. I told him, "He was CART champ last year and in Formula 1 now."

No reply.

Gave me a good laugh.

Steve

I guess I can understand why you think that is funny. It is also kinda sad.

Hot Rod Otis
03-30-03, 08:27 PM
What would have been even funnier JSR, is the even blanker look the guy would have had if he'd been asked if he had any Sam Hornish diecasts.

Railbird
03-30-03, 09:09 PM
It's the Nascar Nation racefans, niche racing fans still have to chase their passion.

It isn't like Nascar took over the stores that used to be full of openwheel stuff, their fans are the ones that opened the stores.

RTKar
03-30-03, 09:36 PM
I kinda like being a "niche guy". I've never been one to follow the mass trends....like when you wear CART stuff around town amid all the NASCAR crap...and then you notice someone wearing CART stuff too...it's like finding someone that got off the same UFO as you...

TRDfan
03-30-03, 09:38 PM
I knew it...RTKar is an alien !!!!:D

RTKar
03-30-03, 09:56 PM
Nah! I'm not really an alien but I think TRD is the only CART fan I know of from Minnesota....now that's kinda alien....

TRDfan
03-31-03, 12:02 PM
JoeBob is also from MN....and someday will be the Grand Marshal of the "1st JoeBob Grand Prix of St Paul" cool airport race.

JoeBob
03-31-03, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by RTKar
Nah! I'm not really an alien but I think TRD is the only CART fan I know of from Minnesota....now that's kinda alien....

There's actually quite a contingent of us up here. I know of 5 or 6 CART fans who post on the various forums who live here.

That said, I'm originally from New York. I just live in Minnesota.

Chaos
03-31-03, 07:39 PM
I kinda like being a "niche guy". I've never been one to follow the mass trends....like when you wear CART stuff around town amid all the NASCAR crap...and then you notice someone wearing CART stuff too...it's like finding someone that got off the same UFO as you...

Good point....no one wears CART merchandise by accident :)

RaceChic
04-01-03, 10:58 AM

A sign of intelligent life on this planet..............:eek: ;) :eek:

P.S. Steve, your kid is my hero!!!!:laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

TRDfan
04-01-03, 01:26 PM
Here is your Hero RaceChic....(granted in a Target car)

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/mntrdphan/vwp?.dir=/The+Boys&.dnm=Nicholas.jpg&.src=bc&.view=l&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/mntrdphan/lst%3f%26.dir=/The%2bBoys%26.src=bc%26.view=l