PDA

View Full Version : The Larry Foyt Scorecard - Texas Edition

rabbit
03-30-03, 06:15 PM
Those thoroughbred Foyt bloodlines produced a 30th-place finish at TMS. Just 30 cars completed the race distance. Brett Bodine finished 31st, one lap down to Foyt who was two laps behind 29th-place Sterling Marlin and eight laps behind race winner Ryan Newman.

DaveL
03-30-03, 06:19 PM
Thanks for stealing my thunder!

I missed most of the race. Did Larry pass a single car for position?

rabbit
03-30-03, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
Thanks for stealing my thunder!
You're welcome. ;) I thought I'd save you the time of having to post it.

I missed most of the race. Did Larry pass a single car for position? Dunno. I didn't see the race. I just got online and saw the results.

Railbird
03-30-03, 07:41 PM
Lightning Larry surged into fourtieth early on, then settled into his race pace to bring home a fine top thirty finish. Hindered only slightly by poor equipment, numurous pit snafus and a stunning lack of talent, this brave grandson of Four Time Indianapolis 500 Winner Anthony Joseph Foyt claimed his highest finish of a steller season.

How's that?...;)

(

rabbit
03-30-03, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
Hindered only slightly by poor equipment, numurous pit snafus and a stunning lack of talent, .... :laugh:

DaveL
03-30-03, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the update 'Bird.

The Foyt effort brings back the good ol' days of the likes of Tommy Gale tearing up the track in the Sunny King Ford #64, or Delma Cowert driving the wheels off of his trusty #0.

AJ's always been one for traditon.

Railbird
03-30-03, 08:22 PM
The portly Texan's Nascar team is lapping up the gravy again with a relative short entry list most weekends. A couple of years ago this outfit would have had no reason to roll off the trailer.

I can write all day about Foyt in his prime, the guy was a fantastic racer capable of racing and winning anywhere and every where, but no one I can think of has sullied their reputation with selfish self indulgence to the extent that he has.

Damn shame really.

Racewriter
03-31-03, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by DaveL
Thanks for the update 'Bird.

The Foyt effort brings back the good ol' days of the likes of Tommy Gale tearing up the track in the Sunny King Ford #64, or Delma Cowert driving the wheels off of his trusty #0.

AJ's always been one for traditon.

At least Tommy and Delma were hilarious. Tommy, in fact, is a NASCAR record holder. He once drove five different cars in the same race - one starting and four relief. They changed the rule to allow only one relief driver after that.:D:D:D Delma is famous for saying, "I never won a race, but I never lost a party." And both had equipment and budgets commensurate with their complete lack of ability.

I can find no redeeming values to Larry at all.

mnkywrch
03-31-03, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Racewriter
I can find no redeeming values to Larry at all.

I figure he's a nice guy who's in way over his head afraid to say anything to A.J. because he's probably scared of the guy.

He kinda struck me as the type who'd be a better car owner than driver... maybe because he has no hope at all as a driver.

DaveL
03-31-03, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Racewriter
And both had equipment and budgets commensurate with their complete lack of ability.

The old saying is "Ferrari doesn't have a budget". In the case of guys like Cowert and Gale, the saying took on a whole new meaning. I'm not knocking either. NASCAR was different in those days.

Peter Venkman
04-01-03, 09:58 PM
Larry Foyt... Jeff Andretti... Arie Jr.

Proof that passing down 'genes' often means only passing down dungerees.

IlliniRacer
04-02-03, 05:18 PM
I'm sure the team is ectastic. This will get them another provisional:gomer:

Peter Venkman
04-05-03, 03:55 PM
"Hindered only slightly by poor equipment, numurous pit snafus and a stunning lack of talent...."

Most excellent observation.;)