PDA

View Full Version : Why did the ex-cart guys suck in A1GP?

Fio1
03-13-06, 03:31 AM
I thought Herta for sure would be fighting for the win at Laguna Seca, but he was absolutely no where! He didn't pass one car both races; only making up spots if someone spun or crashed. It was unbelievable. And, he wasn't the only so called ringer who sucked at Laguna Seca.

After spinning off the track, Papis took 5-6 laps getting by the Chinese driver; a guy like Verstappen would have taken 2 corners max! Ch.Fittipaldi was a complete waste of time as well. Carpentier qualified like crap, but made up some spots early on and stayed out of trouble both races to finish well in the top 10 both races. But, my question is why did these 4 champcar race winners get the ar$e$ handed to them by a bunch of F3 drivers who never saw Laguna Seca outside of watching the Moto GP race on Eurosport? :shakehead

rjohnson999
03-13-06, 09:51 AM
Same problem the IRL faced in its early years. Not only are there only so many drivers who can do the job, there are only so many engineers/mechanics who can do the job and the best get "bought" by the deepest pockets.

racer2c
03-13-06, 11:01 AM
I've always thought of that group as B-rate even when they were in a Champ Car, let alone two to five years later.

Tifosi24
03-13-06, 11:35 AM
The entire US team has been terrible in this series except for Scott Speed who managed to qualify 2nd at Germany and then promptly got into a first corner accident in the sprint race. The series is still fun to watch, but for coming years, if it is still around, they need to tighten up the schedule and have it finish before the F1 season starts.

Fio1
03-13-06, 12:05 PM
Herta did very well at Laguna Seca no matter what Cart team he was driving for and what his teammate did. He was a complete hack this weekend. Considering that A1GP is supposed to be a step down from IRL and Champcars, I was extremely surprised that a guy like Salvador Duran out drove him so much. You'd think in the rain he could have used track knowledge to get around some people, but he didn't pass a single car. Laguna Seca is notorios in the rain, and I was sure that Herta would have an advantage. But not. :thumdown:

Therefore, not only is the IRL bad for your health, but now I consider it bad for your driving skills as well. :laugh:

Kiwifan
03-13-06, 08:19 PM
Did anyone see the "waved yellow flags" that the Kiwi Team claim were out when they were passed by Team Mexico? The Kiwis are not happy campers it seems.

Will catch the race tonight and try and find out if we were "Helio'd/Paul Tracyed". ;)

Rusty.

nrc
03-13-06, 08:30 PM
They're too used to coming up behind another car and then waiting for their pit crew to get them out ahead of him on the next stop.

Fio1
03-13-06, 09:46 PM
Did anyone see the "waved yellow flags" that the Kiwi Team claim were out when they were passed by Team Mexico? The Kiwis are not happy campers it seems.

Will catch the race tonight and try and find out if we were "Helio'd/Paul Tracyed". ;)

Rusty.

It wouldn't really matter would it, considering Halliday spun on the last lap? Great start by the way and he ran a good race until then. He's another guy Champcar teams should take a look at.

Kiwifan
03-14-06, 12:35 AM
But would he have spun on the last lap if he was leading and not in the other's spray? ;)

I'm jush joshing with ya 'cause I haven't even seen the race, just going off newspaper releases. As they say, "what's in todays newspapers is tomorrows fish'n'chips wrappings"

Rusty. :)

Fio1
03-14-06, 02:21 AM
But would he have spun on the last lap if he was leading and not in the other's spray? ;)

I'm jush joshing with ya 'cause I haven't even seen the race, just going off newspaper releases. As they say, "what's in todays newspapers is tomorrows fish'n'chips wrappings"

Rusty. :)

I was there. Halliday ran a bit wide, put a wheel on the outside painted curbing (not really a curbing, more like a flat rumble strip, but the key being that it is painted) got on the gas and spun. He was leading a pack of cars, so there was no spray as I recall.

Kiwifan
03-14-06, 04:08 AM
Thanks mate. We used to get it Live here in NZ but other than F1, Nascar and the IRL it's all tape delayed. Oh yeah, and we still don't get to see Champ Cars. At all. Grr.

Glad you could make the race Fio. How cool would that be? Laguna Seca! How many times have I lapped that place in Gran Turismo and ICR 2? :

Take care, Rusty.

Easy
03-14-06, 10:45 AM
The A1GP race director was apparently relieved of his duites after the Laguna races. Jos was seemingly the most perturbed with his calls but others weren't happy either. Two years ago Champ Car would've probably hired him after this.

The Doctor
03-15-06, 03:10 AM
I was there. Halliday ran a bit wide, put a wheel on the outside painted curbing (not really a curbing, more like a flat rumble strip, but the key being that it is painted) got on the gas and spun. He was leading a pack of cars, so there was no spray as I recall.

The paint shouldn't have that much to do with it -- it's the special MotoGP paint that actually has grip, especially in wet conditions. He probably just booted it. But I don't know a damn thing, not having seen the race.

Fio1
03-15-06, 11:12 AM
The paint shouldn't have that much to do with it -- it's the special MotoGP paint that actually has grip, especially in wet conditions. He probably just booted it. But I don't know a damn thing, not having seen the race.

Hum. Interesting about the paint. Never heard that before. Lapierre was sideways in race 2 a lot coming out of that corner. It seemed everytime he hit that rumble strip. Then when the track was drying, there was a stream of water coming down in the middle of turn 3 between turn in and apex. Everyone understeered, then got sideways with that. That's what caught Graham Rahal out, who by the way did 10 times better then Herta, Papis & Ch.Fittipaldi....