PDA

View Full Version : What is This???

DjDrOmusic
03-11-06, 08:20 PM
Does this person really know anything or is it just another rumor???

SPEED TV Thread (http://insider.speedtv.com/viewtopic.php?t=114084&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) :confused:

SteveH
03-12-06, 01:50 AM
The name of the new series has also been finalized and agreed upon however it doesn't contain "champ" in it.

True, but the word Championship does. ;)

Spicoli
03-12-06, 02:06 AM
True, but the word Championship does. ;)

dood,,,you are so ****ing knoedge!! :p000t>

:thumbup:

devilmaster
03-12-06, 04:31 AM
Ugh. There's 15 minutes or so that i'll never get back again....

I skimmed it mostly. But I have my doubts...

the biggest doubt being that:

Because of the diehard fans that are left, I strongly doubt that any type of secret would remain a secret. Small time rumours don't sneak by without some internet reporting. This merger would be the biggest piece of news ever in NA-OW, and it seems to have been 'completed' by and large without anyone reporting it except one guy at speedtvforums?

NismoZ
03-12-06, 09:52 AM
Yeah, but do you know who that guy IS!? :eek:

fourrunner
03-12-06, 01:33 PM
I read it as Champ Car Surrenders ... Tony in Charge !!

I doubt it

Even MarkC doesn't go that far

Where's Robin on this?

A lot of Guessing ... I Guess ! ;)

TKGAngel
03-12-06, 02:25 PM

If you do, then share with the rest of the class.

nrc
03-12-06, 03:07 PM

Why would you read it like that? This rumor isn't that much different than what's been floated before. I don't doubt that a unified series would be called "Indy car" no matter what the terms are.

Napoleon
03-12-06, 03:30 PM
Why I don't doubt that a unified series would be called "Indy car" no matter what the terms are.

After all thats what it was called before.

EDwardo
03-12-06, 03:39 PM

I doubt it

Even MarkC doesn't go that far

Where's Robin on this?

A lot of Guessing ... I Guess ! ;)

reeks of a fantasy several notorious IRL apologists might have.

fourrunner
03-12-06, 04:25 PM
Why would you read it like that? This rumor isn't that much different than what's been floated before. I don't doubt that a unified series would be called "Indy car" no matter what the terms are.

You have a point on the name ... CART was the Indy Car World Series until Tony made them give up .

I thought IanR's response was more sensible and better explained ...

Truthie did get more towards IanR on his follow up post

My main concern is the 50 - 50 CONTROL .... I can't see the long term ability to make this work

50 - 50 Ownership is OK but with Tony still controlling Indy as seperate, this is NOT 50 -50

With Tony still contoling Indy ... another INSANE Temper Tantrum can rear it's ugly head

Tony is INSANE in his "Productive years" what's going to happen when he ages & becomes SENILE too!! ;) :eek:

BTW Nismo, or whoever might know ... Who is "Truthie" ??

NismoZ
03-12-06, 04:28 PM
ChampCar surrenders? Funny, I get just the opposite impression. Just give up enough (a name change with "Indy" in it?, a few weak races?, a share of a can't miss business venture?... Big deal.) to make the other guy think he won, or even let him get undue credit. Not important in the long term. The idea is to structure it in such a way that everyone wins. (KK's words) I honestly don't think Kevin Kalkhoven cares if the press paints Tony George a savior or a hero as long as the thing works. I can see it now... "ChampCar returns to Indy! Tony George brokers deal to unify the sport!" Fine. He can have his race and share it. Did before. Remember what KK does. He buys, he builds, he SELLS, or merges and I'm guessing usually at a profit. OK by me as long as I'm one of those winners. :D Now, about that ChampCar heavy plan I mentioned earlier...

nrc
03-12-06, 05:10 PM
Could it be "Truthie" as in, "The Truth"?

I don't think there's any way that a deal could involve IMS. That's a deal breaker right from the start. Tony has seen the results of his "vision". The fools that gladly followed him down his primrose path the first time now expect a check to help him fill the field at Indy - if they even answer his calls. I think he knows that if the series unify then his options for a split are spent.

50/50 control would essentially mean that nothing gets done without agreement. That could mean that they end up at loggerheads over things, but now that Tony has been treated to a dose of racing reality it probably wouldn't be the problem that it would have back in '94.

TravelGal
03-12-06, 05:21 PM
I think he knows that if the series unify then his options for a split are spent.

50/50 control would essentially mean that nothing gets done without agreement. ........ now that Tony has been treated to a dose of racing reality it probably wouldn't be the problem that it would have back in '94.

Agree with #1, can't beging to conceive of #2. Any addict (this is a control freak/addict) will never "learn." They always see it as different this time.

The split began the day TG was given a nonvoting seat on the board of directors. ANY control, much less 50/50, will be a death knell to racing as WE love it.

That said, I agree completely with Nizmo. KK buys, fixes, and sells. It's already pretty much fixed. I started saying at the end of last year that the time was drawing nigh when KK would feel his job was done. Everyone hooted me down in disbelief. I'd love to be wrong but I have not seen anything yet to make me change my opinion.

FTG
03-12-06, 05:35 PM

I'll guess: an insecure nobody who believes that claiming to have "inside knowledge" on an Internet forum makes him special and therefore proves that all the people who taunted him and called him a loser must be wrong. I am close?

nrc
03-12-06, 05:40 PM
Another possibility. If the IRL is in as dire straits as we think and this is essentially the IRL being folded into Champ car, then the only real sticking point would be something to help Tony save face.

In that case the deal might be 51/49 giving Forsythe and Kalkhoven control, but it would be presented to the media as "essentially 50-50" to save Tony's pride. The exact details would be downplayed or kept secret and everyone would sing the party line in the name of peace.

nissan gtp
03-12-06, 06:22 PM
Another possibility. If the IRL is in as dire straits as we think and this is essentially the IRL being folded into Champ car, then the only real sticking point would be something to help Tony save face.

In that case the deal might be 51/49 giving Forsythe and Kalkhoven control, but it would be presented to the media as "essentially 50-50" to save Tony's pride. The exact details would be downplayed or kept secret and everyone would sing the party line in the name of peace.

that's what I think is going down.

cart7
03-12-06, 06:31 PM
I'm betting this is mutual capitulation. The last company actually funding OW racing in this country to a level necessary to support teams is Honda and they'll have no reason to beyond this year. I'm betting both sides are looking at weak corporate interest and the thought of $$$$$$ dollars to support these race teams is getting old for KK and not a pleasant thought for TG.

Tim Cindric said it a year and half ago when he spoke of trying to find a replacement for Marlboro.

No merger = No corporate interest.

Merged series = Companies willing to get on-board.

TravelGal
03-12-06, 07:42 PM
that's what I think is going down.

Could very well be. As in...I don't think there are THREE amigos any more but no one particularly SAYS that Paul G has been bought out. He's just not around much any more. My only concern is that TG may not take that as easily as PG did (if true I hasten to add).

Racing Truth
03-12-06, 08:57 PM
I'll guess: an insecure nobody who believes that claiming to have "inside knowledge" on an Internet forum makes him special and therefore proves that all the people who taunted him and called him a loser must be wrong. I am close?

Well, I'm PRETTTTY sure it ain't RM, as speculation has it. Lurking at the cesspool that is the SPEED boards indicates the guy was formerly Kal, now of DolanForum fame.

Kal is a quasi-insider who has, to his credit, gotten things right in the past. But your description, IMHO, more closely describes him.

Spicoli
03-12-06, 09:15 PM
Well, I'm PRETTTTY sure it ain't RM, as speculation has it. Lurking at the cesspool that is the SPEED boards indicates the guy was formerly Kal, now of DolanForum fame.

Kal is a quasi-insider who has, to his credit, gotten things right in the past. But your description, IMHO, more closely describes him.

truthie is not Kal or RM. truthie is west coast, and knows alot of what he is talking about.

matthole
03-12-06, 09:20 PM
That board is retarded. :thumdown: :flame:

The people running it are horrible. I hope they commit suicide. :gomer:

racer2c
03-12-06, 09:29 PM
truthie is not Kal or RM. truthie is west coast, and knows alot of what he is talking about.

I wish our OC insider was as sure of his news as truthie. :)

Whatever happened to those lights at Indy for a nighttime 500? :D

Let's make a fan push that part of the Champ Car agreement insists on no IRL Brazilians. the thought of Helio and Tony huggin and cryin all over the place makes me want to hurl.

fourrunner
03-12-06, 09:40 PM

I certainly prefer this option ... who knows .... I think it is a done deal also ...

I'm also realistic enough to believe that THERE AIN'T NOTHIN I CAN DO ABOUT IT"

Many of us have been fighting this fight hard since '95 and before when Tony made his first attempt at control by asking to be put in charge of CART ...
Of course then the only place you could vent was "Letters to the Editor" at SpeedSport News, or the other pubications, which I did ad nauseum !

Then along comes Speednet, but you only would insult & threaten each other which was actually quite fun. Especially since for the most part we were right all along!

Forgive me for being stubborn to the end !

Anyway "What Will Be Will Be" .... Hopefully it will be satisfying like you say nrc ... !!

Spicoli
03-12-06, 09:59 PM
I wish our OC insider was as sure of his news as truthie. :)

Whatever happened to those lights at Indy for a nighttime 500? :D

Let's make a fan push that part of the Champ Car agreement insists on no IRL Brazilians. the thought of Helio and Tony huggin and cryin all over the place makes me want to hurl.

1. We'll see.

2. It happened - they had the local P&L utility out there to do a feasibility study, and never say never.

3. Leave Gaylio alone. danny has to have someone to party with.

NismoZ
03-12-06, 10:24 PM
Plus if they're going to hug and cry it's probably because they just finished 1-2 or something. I'd like to see them try! That's always been my point.

Racing Truth
03-13-06, 01:53 PM

OK, 10-4. :thumbup:

My comment on Kal still stands though.