PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Indy GP Info.

Gomerbilly
03-10-06, 12:33 AM
Per Autosport. Nigel Roebuck no less:

"At Indianapolis, for example, the crowd for the F1 race may be tiny compared with that for the Indy 500 or the (NASCAR) Brickyard 400, but still it's the biggest in F1 - and the estimate is that every US Grand Prix at Indianapolis makes a loss of $5m USD. At the moment, word is that Tony George has told Bernie Ecclestone that, if the race is to continue on the calendar after 2006, the fee will need to be halved."

racer2c
03-10-06, 12:37 AM
Tony George doesn't 'tell' Bernie #&@^.

Spicoli
03-10-06, 12:43 AM
Per Autosport. Nigel Roebuck no less:

"At Indianapolis, for example, the crowd for the F1 race may be tiny compared with that for the Indy 500 or the (NASCAR) Brickyard 400, but still it's the biggest in F1 - and the estimate is that every US Grand Prix at Indianapolis makes a loss of $5m USD. At the moment, word is that Tony George has told Bernie Ecclestone that, if the race is to continue on the calendar after 2006, the fee will need to be halved."

duh.

:runs:

Where else they gonna go though?

Gomerbilly
03-10-06, 12:48 AM
duh.

Nowhere. Vegas doesn't give a **** about F-1. If FTG did have the balls to tell Bernie to cut the fee, he might have to. It's Indy or bust for the US GP, at least for the forseeable future. The manufacturers want a US race, so I can't imagine it's going away.

Easy
03-10-06, 11:33 AM

Daytona. The Center of the Racin' Universe.

:gomer:

Cam
03-10-06, 11:34 AM
Daytona. The Center of the Racin' Universe.

:gomer:

Cool! Imagine the side tyre loads on that banking! ;)

Wheel-Nut
03-10-06, 11:40 AM
duh.

How about no USGP for 2007. New to the schedule, The Gran Prix of Mexico.

eiregosod
03-10-06, 12:18 PM
Only the retarded would do business with Bernie.

The only difference between corrupt government officals & Tony George is that Phoney is playing with his family's money.

if Phoney can go eyeball to eyeball with bernie & win, then I'd give Phoney the credit he finally deserves. pity I don't want to buy the other stuff that Phoney is selling :gomer:

jonovision_man
03-10-06, 12:25 PM

Part of the problem in that equation is that the USGP is the cheapest ticket on the F1 calendar...

Compare to Montreal:

Montreal's grandstand seats : $170-400 USD ($195-$440 CDN)
USGP grandstand seats: $75-150 USD.

And Montreal isn't anywhere near the most expensive, either! :eek: So they need about twice as many tickets sold to get the same revenue (not taking into account food & merchandise, etc.)

Upgrade Road America? :D

jono

jonovision_man
03-10-06, 12:26 PM
Only the retarded would do business with Bernie.

He's made a lot of people a lot of money... he just takes care of himself first. :)

jono

eiregosod
03-10-06, 12:41 PM
He's made a lot of people a lot of money... he just takes care of himself first. :)

jono

That was until a few years ago, or at least when local governments started underwriting GrandPrix

eiregosod
03-10-06, 12:48 PM

jonovision_man
03-10-06, 02:08 PM
That was until a few years ago, or at least when local governments started underwriting GrandPrix

I was thinking of the team owners, like Ron Dennis or Frank Williams. Both made out pretty well as Bernie transformed F1 into what it is today.

I agree with you on the promoter front... that's not a money-making proposition anymore.

jono

Spicoli
03-10-06, 03:22 PM
Part of the problem in that equation is that the USGP is the cheapest ticket on the F1 calendar...

Compare to Montreal:

And Montreal isn't anywhere near the most expensive, either! :eek: So they need about twice as many tickets sold to get the same revenue (not taking into account food & merchandise, etc.)

jono

Dood - with the exception of T1 trickies......its fookin free. In all 6 years i have attended, i have NEVER paid for a ticket. :shakehead

Lemme know if you need the hookem up. :thumbup:

Al Czervik
03-10-06, 04:02 PM

Compare to Montreal:

jono

I don't want Bernie or Max coming anywhere near RA. They'd ruin that place.
Max: "What we need is a nice chicane right before 'the Kink'. The approach to T-5 is also way too fast."

Bernie: "I want my personal heli-pad right where Seibken's is now standing. Tear it down."

jonovision_man
03-10-06, 04:07 PM
LOL... probably not too far from the truth.

Still, I'd love to see them run it as-is.

jono

stroker
03-11-06, 04:37 PM
Just had a thought...

run a race at RA for both privately owned obsolete F1 cars and 1999-2006 Champ Cars (with the "pre-spec" 900 hp Cosworth engines) in one big race for a cool million bucks for 1st place.

I'd buy THAT for a dollar!