PDA

View Full Version : KK Says Servia In...

NismoZ
03-08-06, 04:01 PM
At PKV along with Legge. Building for the future, wanted experience alongside the rookie. Makes sense. :thumbup:

TedN
03-08-06, 04:07 PM
Extracts from autosport.com .....

The Catalan, who finished as runner-up in the 2005 Champ Car World Series while subbing for the injured Bruno Junqueira at Newman/Haas Racing, moved into the frame at PKV when it became clear that his erstwhile employers would not be running a third car on Junqueira's return.

As a veteran of the series, he is considered the ideal teammate for Legge, in light of 1996 champion and PKV co-owner Jimmy Vasser's imminent retirement, and Cristiano da Matta falling out of favour with team management.

Kalkhoven is also hoping to persuade Vasser to compete in a third PKV car at the season-opening round in Long Beach on April 9th, as a fitting finale to his hitherto 231-race Champ Car career.

Link (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/49921)

Ted

Dr. Corkski
03-08-06, 04:25 PM
At least PKV will have one legit driver. :thumbup:

Should have been two though. :thumdown:

Spicoli
03-08-06, 04:37 PM

Hater.

NismoZ
03-08-06, 04:50 PM
Even Servia had to start somewhere. No controversy for me any longer. ('cept if Fisher gets a 500 ride then they have TWO!) :gomer:

Andrew Longman
03-08-06, 06:18 PM
:thumbup: for Servia. He deserves a good home. I don't think he would have done as well as a third car at NH. Third cars seem to suffer in this series.

I like one more shot for Vassar, but I hope that not just to fill out the field for LB :rolleyes:

DaMatta has been off the radar for a while. Rumors?

KLang
03-08-06, 06:24 PM
DaMatta has been off the radar for a while. Rumors?

KK refused to deal with his agent was the rumor.

Good deal for both Servia and PKV IMO. :thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
03-08-06, 07:53 PM

So how many wins did Servia have when he was at Legge's point in her career? :gomer: :gomer:

mapguy
03-08-06, 08:32 PM
IMO. A waste of a seat. He did nothing of note to deserve this seat before last year, other than his flosbury flop at Laguna a few years back. At best he is a decent 'journeyman'. I can think of at least a half dozen drivers who would have done a better job last year in an NH car.

Andrew Longman
03-08-06, 09:06 PM
IMO. A waste of a seat. He did nothing of note to deserve this seat before last year, other than his flosbury flop at Laguna a few years back. At best he is a decent 'journeyman'. I can think of at least a half dozen drivers who would have done a better job last year in an NH car.

Granted he didn't win the year he won Indy Light ROY but he did win it. And among all the second rate rides at PPI, Sigma and Patrick he was steady with occasional flashes of braveness. Remember Surfers running for PPI? Literally drove the wheels off. :gomer:

Anyway NH must have seen something to pick him and he performed about as well as Junky would have. At least he finished where Junky would have in the points ;)

Ankf00
03-08-06, 10:15 PM
I'm with mappy, I'm glad he had success and a stable top ride for a year, but to me he was the Roethlisberger of driving. Got the job done, but not stellar...

Andrew Longman
03-08-06, 10:45 PM
I'm with mappy, I'm glad he had success and a stable top ride for a year, but to me he was the Roethlisberger of driving. Got the job done, but not stellar...

Well neither did Shorty in the same seat last year. PKV has money, but I still need to see more/better engineering and race day management before I put them with NH, RuSport and Forsythe.

KLang
03-09-06, 01:03 PM
Official announcement (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9991)

:thumbup:

“We tested several young drivers and looked a several veteran drivers,” said PKV Racing co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven. “After analyzing all the data, we felt the best move for the immediate and future success of the team and our sponsors Gulfstream and Bell Micro, was to sign a veteran driver. Oriol had a tremendous season last year and has proven he can compete for the championship. We believe that Oriol’s skill and knowledge will not only be an asset to the team, but will significantly help in the development of Katherine Legge.”

:confused: One of the brainiacs elsewhere has been claiming Gulfstream is gone. :p

Sean O'Gorman
03-09-06, 06:44 PM
So how many wins did Servia have when he was at Legge's point in her career? :gomer: :gomer:

Dr. Corkski
03-09-06, 06:57 PM
So how many wins did Servia have when he was at Legge's point in her career? :gomer: :gomer:Did Servia get a top seat over more qualified drivers because of marketing hype, or did he work his way up?

Sean O'Gorman
03-09-06, 07:53 PM
Did Servia get a top seat over more qualified drivers because of marketing hype, or did he work his way up?

http://www.champcar.com/gallery/gallery2000/09cleveland/in_the_middle_of_the_green.jpg

You tell me.

Again I ask, how many races did Servia win before moving up to Champ Car?

Dr. Corkski
03-09-06, 08:21 PM
Servia won a championship and still had to pay for what was considered a mediocre team. Slightly different situation than a driver that is admittedly throwing away the year getting a top seat over more qualified drivers due to perceived hype.

Sean O'Gorman
03-09-06, 08:22 PM
BUT HOW MANY RACES DID HE WIN?

Dr. Corkski
03-09-06, 08:23 PM
King Hiro won 4 Atlantics races. Does that mean neither PKV drivers will ever be as good? :gomer:

NismoZ
03-10-06, 08:04 PM
Ah, so...MahtSOOSHituh. I always said MahtsueSHEETa. Quit making fun, he just brought us 41 new Atlantic cars. (and most of the electric componentry in my house!)