PDA

View Full Version : Any news regarding a Philly race?

donasay
03-08-06, 03:38 PM
Any updates regarding a Champ Car race in the streets of Philadelphia?

Andrew Longman
03-08-06, 06:34 PM
There hasn't been anything in the papers here since the early fall.

CC got a little ahead of themselves, mostly because of the attention PN created when he pitched the idea to city officials. Because it was PN it got lots of press and some of the sensitive people didn't get massaged before they found out about it in the papers.

CC went on local the local NPR to discuss it with the folks from the art school on the Parkway and promised not to do anything that was not welcomed. They came back with a revised plan and I believe have taken the entire discussion out of the public eye.

I certainly hope it comes off, it would be one of the best events of the series, and I expect it will come off because Rizzo seems to be behind it, but there are many folks in that end of town interested in preserving bucolic setting, which is good, but have absolutely no interest in car races. They are thinking beer bellied NASCAR fans who will pee on the side of their art museum. (wait a minute. Lizzerd you plan on going? SeanO? :gomer: )

My bet? Some sort of announcement this July 4 about a July 4 07 date.

donasay
03-09-06, 05:27 PM
Andrew, Thanks for the reply. News and rumors were quite plentiful right after Paul Newman's visit but all has gone dormant for quite a while. At the CCIC breakfast in Las Vegas last year, Robin Miller thought '06 might be possible but there was a better shot at '07.
I'm a transplanted Philadelphian now living in Southern California. Do you live in/around Philly? Please post anything you might hear regarding a Philly Champ Car Race.

Thanks and Go Iggles!

Don

fourrunner
03-09-06, 06:19 PM
There hasn't been anything in the papers here since the early fall.

. They came back with a revised plan and I believe have taken the entire discussion out of the public eye.

I have it on good word that discussions are ongoing !

My bet? Some sort of announcement this July 4 about a July 4 07 date.

Sounds Nice ... but No Date was forthcoming !

Spicoli
03-09-06, 07:55 PM
I have it ,,,,,on good ,,,,,word,, that discussions are ongoing !

:D

fourrunner
03-09-06, 08:27 PM
:D

NOPE .... Friend attached to Rizzo ! :D

"I know things ... I know a thing or two about a thing or two" DeNiro

ChrisB
03-09-06, 09:11 PM
Last I heard, CCWS had hired an old, well-connected Philly law firm for help on the project. I would hope they're still quietly working on it.

(Pesonally I would hope that it's NOT on the 4th of July, since I prefer to go to the Jersey Shore at that time.. but that's just my preference)

Here's a good thread over on SpeedTV forums with some diagrams:

link (http://insider.speedtv.com/viewtopic.php?t=94187&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=philly&start=30&sid=ff42deb67c159baa559f06bb3f42924f)

Also... just to remind everyone one more time... of all the Live8 concerts, the Philly concert had the largest attendance of all of them with an estimate of 800K! I don't know how well free rock concerts translate to race attendance, but that's something to think about!

fourrunner
03-10-06, 12:51 AM
Last I heard, CCWS had hired an old, well-connected Philly law firm for help on the project. I would hope they're still quietly working on it.

(Pesonally I would hope that it's NOT on the 4th of July, since I prefer to go to the Jersey Shore at that time.. but that's just my preference)

Here's a good thread over on SpeedTV forums with some diagrams:

link (http://insider.speedtv.com/viewtopic.php?t=94187&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=philly&start=30&sid=ff42deb67c159baa559f06bb3f42924f)

Also... just to remind everyone one more time... of all the Live8 concerts, the Philly concert had the largest attendance of all of them with an estimate of 800K! I don't know how well free rock concerts translate to race attendance, but that's something to think about!

Philly's advantage is that it's 3- 3/12 hours from Baltimore/Washington DC...
2 1/2 Hours from New York City... 3 hours from Harrisburgh ... and Closer Cities like Wilmington, Delaware ... Plus those that would Travel even further..

I read that 25% of the US Population lives in this corridor !

Add to that that Philadelphia is a great Walking City, with lot's to do ......

Andrew Longman
03-10-06, 01:04 PM
I read that 25% of the US Population lives in this corridor

1 18,641 New York, Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY- NJ, PA
2 12,829 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA
3 9,334 Chicago, IL-IN-WI
4 5,773 Philadelphia, PA-NJ-DE
5 5,590 Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
6 5,289 Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL
7 5,090 Washington, DC-VA-MD-WV
8 5,076 Houston, TX
9 4,610 Atlanta, GA
10 4,484 Detroit, MI

Three of the top ten major markets just 2+ hours away. 29+ million people not counting Baltimore, Wimington and all the exurbs in between. Probably at least another 10+ million there. All on the easy access Amtrak corridor too.

Also Philly already markets itself as a destination city for weekend getaways and such in NY and DC, even Boston. Promoting the race as a weekend getaway would not seem odd in those markets.

This has the potential to be a bigger event than anything on the CC schedule except maybe Long Beach. But only if they do it in the city, on the Parkway, not in a parking lot around the Spectrum, with the Art Museum and city as a backdrop. It would pick up a lot of media attention, even in NY, where the media agenda is actually set.

Elmo T
03-10-06, 01:25 PM
Also Philly already markets itself as a destination city for weekend getaways and such in NY and DC, even Boston. Promoting the race as a weekend getaway would not seem odd in those markets.

I am keeping my fingers crossed. I'd like to see some promotion with the local attractions. How about a "Science of Champcar" exhibit at the Franklin Institute?

I do agree - the location will dictate how successful the race will be. The Parkway is the way to go. :thumbup: