PDA

View Full Version : Australian Rugby League 2006

emjaya
03-08-06, 09:31 AM
Now that the A-league is over (Sydney FC def Central Coast Mariners 1-0) we can turn to the the Rugby League season which starts this weekend.
And to put us in the mood this (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2038858658548114385&q=rugby+league).

G.
03-08-06, 11:52 AM
Please edjumakate this Yank.

How often do rugby players get seriously injured? That clip is insane.

There's a very big difference between being a tough guy, shrugging off the pain to continue, and getting a skull fracture. I often hear comments about wimpy American football players, with their pads and helmets vs. the Aussie rules guys. I just can't understand how someone could make a career out of getting beat on like that. :eek: I would think that it would be a short career, ending in traction with a life-long attachment to a drool bucket.

Tifosi24
03-08-06, 01:02 PM
Geez, league rugby is a lot more physical than union. It is always fun to watch rubgy with my dad, because he is completely floored that anyone would lay down hits like that with no pads. Those clips remind me of a player in the English Rugby Union who played an entire game with a pretty good concussion and scored a couple trys including the match winner. In an interview a couple days later he said he couldn't remind playing the match.

Kiwifan
03-08-06, 01:33 PM
I love Rugby. I have to say that 'cause I'm from New Zealand and we have the All Blacks. ;) But, generally League is better. Sadly most of those clips were pretty old from a time when it was really tough but like most things in life someone screwed it up IMO. They tinkered with and then merged clubs so a lot of that old rivalry disappeared.

I think for the amount of contact in the sport there are few injuries with guys fronting up week in week out. They are extremely fit. When several fringe All Blacks went over to the NRL in the 90s they couldn't believe how fit the League players were.

Nice find emjaya, now if you could just find The Word Cup and the Warriors "lost" four points for me. :)

Rusty. ;)