PDA

View Full Version : NFL Free Agency

racermike
03-06-06, 01:21 PM
Well, Shaun Alexander is now the 62 Million dollar man!

Seattle signs to a 62m, 8 year contract.

I am glad he is staying a Seahawk, but that sure is a lot of greenbacks to cough up, especially when his contract comes to an end, he will be 37 years old.

Am happy, but very unsure at the same time.

devilmaster
03-06-06, 01:54 PM
I'll be shocked if this deal lasts 5 years intact....

Seattle has about 2 or 3 more good chances at the superbowl again. If they can't put it together by then, I suspect that shawn will be cut or re-negotiatied.

nrc
03-06-06, 03:00 PM
I suppose it's possible that he could remain productive enough to justify those numbers. But that's a rare back indeed.

Good to see that the it looks like they'll get the CBA sorted out.

tllips
03-06-06, 03:15 PM
Since NFL contracts are not guaranteed, there is little risk on the Seahawks part. They just pay him until he can't live up to it, then cut him.

IlliniRacer
03-06-06, 05:12 PM
The last L.A. Ram is gone :(

Thanks for memories Ike.

nrc
03-06-06, 05:15 PM
Since NFL contracts are not guaranteed, there is little risk on the Seahawks part. They just pay him until he can't live up to it, then cut him.
Depends on how the contract is structured. Some contracts include payments that get dumped into the year that you cut the player if you cut them before the end.

tllips
03-06-06, 10:39 PM
Depends on how the contract is structured. Some contracts include payments that get dumped into the year that you cut the player if you cut them before the end.

Agreed, but it is unlikely Seattle will be on the hook for eight years unless he happens to be able to stay on top of his game for 8 yrs.

Insomniac
03-07-06, 08:27 AM

That has to do with the prorated portion of the signing bonus.

They say he is getting $15M in year 1, but it's not really broken down how. So, let's just say $10M signing bonus, $4M roster bonus, $1M salary for sake of explanation. Because of the lack of a new CBA, the bonus can only be spread over 4 years. So the Seahawks will have $2.5M/year against their cap for Alexander for 2007, 2008 and 2009.

If they cut him before that, it will matter on what date. Before June 1, and all of the remaining money must be absorbed in that year. So, if they cut him before June 1, 2007 they take a cap hit (dead money) for $7.5M. If they cut him before the 2007 season, but after June 1, 2007 they can take a $2.5M hit in 2007 and the rest ($5M in 2008).

This applies to pretty much any contract with a signing bonus/guaranteed payment that they spread across multiple years for salary cap puposes.