PDA

View Full Version : Champ car line-up

nrc
03-04-06, 01:13 AM
It doesn't make much sense to me to be going out on a promotional tour when you can't name half the field. So where does everyone stand?

Forsythe - Tracy, Domingueuz
Newman Haas - Bourdais, Junquiera
Ruusport - Wilson, Almendinger
PKV - Legge, Servia, Vasser part time
Aussie Vinyards - Power, Tagliani
HVM - Philippe, Clarke
Dale Coyne - da Matta, Jan Heylen
Conquest - Zwolsman, Ranger?
Rocketsports - Pizzonia, ?

SteveH
03-04-06, 01:40 AM
You forgot Jensen. :gomer:

theunions
03-04-06, 01:53 AM
Aren't Tag and Power already long confirmed at Team Aussie (the only question mark being whether there MIGHT be a third entry for Briscoe)?

nrc
03-04-06, 03:49 AM
Aren't Tag and Power already long confirmed at Team Aussie (the only question mark being whether there MIGHT be a third entry for Briscoe)?

I've heard it mentioned but I can't find any confirmation so I've added it with a "?".

trish
03-04-06, 08:24 AM
It's not about the drivers (so I'm told). If the cars are radio controlled, as long as it a Champ Car, they will come...

jonovision_man
03-04-06, 08:38 AM
That pretty much matches Cygni's page:
http://www.cygniseason.com/staticpages/index.php?page=ChampCarSillySeason

Although he hasn't put in rumours yet for Team Brazil... but his confirmed list is good. Some of the other cars may have been confirmed but he doesn't call the entry confirmed until it has a driver.

jono

Spicoli
03-04-06, 08:39 AM
It's not about the drivers (so I'm told). If the cars are radio controlled, as long as it a Champ Car, they will come...

what is that supposed to mean?

trish
03-04-06, 08:44 AM
what is that supposed to mean?

I'm just repeating the party line.

KLang
03-04-06, 08:49 AM

Which party are you listening to?

trish
03-04-06, 08:50 AM
Which party are you listening to?
Do you really need to ask?

KLang
03-04-06, 08:50 AM
It doesn't make much sense to me to be going out on a promotional tour when you can't name half the field.

Perhaps annoucements will be made during the promotional tour?

KLang
03-04-06, 08:51 AM
Do you really need to ask?

If I knew what you were talking about I wouldn't have asked the question.

Spicoli
03-04-06, 09:55 AM
If I knew what you were talking about I wouldn't have asked the question.

Zackly. I think trish has a T roublesome F ear about CCWS. :shakehead

trish
03-04-06, 10:28 AM
Wrong. But it doesn't really matter.

pchall
03-04-06, 10:45 AM
It doesn't make much sense to me to be going out on a promotional tour when you can't name half the field. So where does everyone stand?

The NFL promotes itself in of the off season even though 25% and more of many teams' rosters can and will change before the first game. Same deal with MLB. I don't know about NHL, but then I gradually stopped caring when they started expanding beyond 6 teams. [Ducks as a barrage of empties rains down from Windsor] :p

nrc
03-04-06, 01:57 PM

How can that be the "party line" when it contradicts a comment that I made in starting this very thread?

Wait. Don't answer that. In fact, don't answer anything else in this thread unless you have something pertinent to add on the question of who is driving for whom.

KLang
03-04-06, 06:06 PM
Chamcar Website currently lists 29 drivers. The eighteen are likely in there someplace. Looks like a repeat of last year, last minute announcements.

Spicoli
03-04-06, 07:42 PM
Chamcar Website currently lists 29 drivers. The eighteen are likely in there someplace. Looks like a repeat of last year, last minute announcements.

For sure. Coyne, HVM, Conquest, etc all standing in line with their hands out....it's sort of depressing at times like this, but you can be sure that KK will get 18 to the start at LBGP. Remember 4 weeks ago when the IRL was in the same boat? Then - ShazaM! -TG's magic checkbook opens, and 18/19 cars on the grid.

I have hope that the re/unfication thing happens. You know the pain of getting 33 to the grid in Indy is going to be FAR MORE PAINFUL than the 18 to LBGP, so maybe that motovates Lord Sagamore to finally call truce and put this ****ing thing back where everyone knows it needs to be.

Have faith, don't quit now.

,,,peace in,,,racing,,, :saywhat:

:timeforabeer: :thumbup:

Racing Truth
03-04-06, 08:29 PM
You forgot Jensen. :gomer:

:laugh: I mean, THAT really makes the year, doesn't it?

From what we do know, a nice field though. :cool:

Racing Truth
03-04-06, 09:06 PM
For sure. Coyne, HVM, Conquest, etc all standing in line with their hands out....it's sort of depressing at times like this, but you can be sure that KK will get 18 to the start at LBGP. Remember 4 weeks ago when the IRL was in the same boat? Then - ShazaM! -TG's magic checkbook opens, and 18/19 cars on the grid.

I have hope that the re/unfication thing happens. You know the pain of getting 33 to the grid in Indy is going to be FAR MORE PAINFUL than the 18 to LBGP, so maybe that motovates Lord Sagamore to finally call truce and put this ****ing thing back where everyone knows it needs to be.

Have faith, don't quit now.

,,,peace in,,,racing,,, :saywhat:

:timeforabeer: :thumbup:

Damn. Strange times indeed when Spicoli starts channeling paper. :eek:

Spic: What do you think the odds are?

KLang
03-04-06, 09:32 PM
I'm confident we'll see 18 or more take the green flag at Long Beach. I wonder if they aren't concentrating more at the moment on the revamped Atlantic's. Everyone knows this year is a sort of lame duck year for the current Champ Cars. I expect to see more effort geared towards 2007. Hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised in the next several weeks.

Spicoli
03-05-06, 09:38 AM
Damn. Strange times indeed when Spicoli starts channeling paper. :eek:

Spic: What do you think the odds are?

From what I know - they are definitely talking. but it always comes down to TG. "He doesn't have a $$ problem, he's finally realized he has a PR problem." THAT should tell you its a serious consideration here in Mindy.

But the realities at 16th & Jonestown are not the realities of OUR everyday life - the "insulators" are deep in Speedway - the gravy train has been running a LONG time for those peoples. Upsetting the status quo is not in their best interest. They will fight against it, and make sure the deal looks awful for TG in hopes that they retain their status as hardcore gravy head lemmings.

{from the negative]
I think its closer than ever, but TG is not gonna let loose of the reigns - he and his minions will not accept anything less than a 51-49.
{/from the negative}

Would it dissapoint that KK doesn't come out at 50% or better? Yep. But is it best for the survival of the sport? That, sir, depends on your perspective. nobody knows what goes on in that vast desert wasteland known as FTG's brain depot. KK can't be real pleased at this junction. Things are improving for sure, and I know some great announcements are coming, but as RM opined "Cash is flowing heavily" from the CCWS pocket (see: teams with hands out}.

WTF knows, these ****ers are biilionaires and they could really care less about anything you and I want. When you have all the money, the only thing left is power. :shakehead

[///blog]

racer2c
03-05-06, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't care if there is a 51/49 agreement as long as the 49% is one thing...they use Champ Cars.

Joelski
03-05-06, 12:25 PM
Sorry, can't root for this unification crap. It used to be "With us or against us", and still neds to be. Anything less than a veiled CC takeover will be farcical. I know getting back together is good and right and wholesome for the sport, but I can't honestly think of anything I'd want Tony George to have control of except for his own bowel function for a change. People are already predicating the health of any new series on Mindy; rather than a lifetime, it took me three races to decide the best thing is the party. I hope the future announcements are seriously heavy stuff, because I'm losing interest fast. I guess that's how it is for real fans; quite a few others are perched happily on the fence, but that's okay too. Eleven years is a long time to settle for crap.

Sean O'Gorman
03-05-06, 12:51 PM
WTF knows, these ****ers are biilionaires and they could really care less about anything you and I want. When you have all the money, the only thing left is power. :shakehead

This is the most important part of Spic's post. The sooner you realize this (I realized it years ago), the sooner you can be at peace with where open wheel is heading.

That is the key diff between Champ Car, IRL, road racing, etc. and NASCAR. NASCAR is for the fans and for profit, the rest is for the powers that be. At least Grand-Am makes no secret that it is about the competitors, and not much else.

NismoZ
03-05-06, 01:10 PM
There are too many examples throughout history of those who refuse compromise or attempts toward unity, even with long-time enemies, to their own detriment. It is very easy to adopt a position of stubborn refusal but it takes courage to give up some of what you may want personally in return for the common good. The common good I identify in this instance is neither turbocharged Champcars or the Indianapolis 500. It is the future of big-time openwheel single seat auto racing. Neither course taken by the opposing "visions" over the last decade has done anything to secure that future. Of course just the opposite has occurred. The time to reconcile came long ago and even though most recognized that, it was the ego-driven moneyed interests that prevented it from happening. I believe a single well run series would be best for the owners, participants and fans of open-wheel racing. That is hardly a revelation but one that I think most of even ardent opponents from both sides of the argument would come to accept...IF it was done correctly. The Split has not been a good thing, a carefully crafted compromise CAN be. I believe the most energy should be expended in attempts to repair the damage rather than actions that prolong the pain and suffering.

jonovision_man
03-05-06, 01:24 PM
IF it was done correctly. The Split has not been a good thing, a carefully crafted compromise CAN be.

That's the rub though... I've talked to people on both "sides", and while most favour unification in theory, they have wildly different opinions of what the unified series should look like.

I'd say the biggest stumbling blocks to getting the fans on-board are (1) who gets control, and (2) the circuit mix. It's going to be hard enough deciding that amongst themselves, getting the fans to buy in to what they decide will be a real challenge.

jono

rjohnson999
03-05-06, 01:39 PM
Things are so bad now, it doesn't matter if a unified series looses half the fans. Things are so bad now that removing the distraction of a competing series is the only thing that will enable the resurection of big time open wheel racing in the U.S. Having said that, I am of the firm opinion that Tony George and the IMS brain trust are incapable of doing that.

That's the rub though... I've talked to people on both sides", and while most favour unification in theory, they have wildly different opinions of what the unified series should look like.

I'd say the biggest stumbling blocks to getting the fans on-board are (1) who gets control, and (2) the circuit mix. It's going to be hard enough deciding that amongst themselves, getting the fans to buy in to what they decide will be a real challenge.

jono

Kahauna Dreamer
03-05-06, 02:05 PM

[///blog]

Which is precisely why I'll buy a couple of Shifter Karts and fling 'em around before I have anything to do with any reunified series.

RTKar
03-05-06, 02:26 PM
Things are so bad now, it doesn't matter if a unified series looses half the fans. Things are so bad now that removing the distraction of a competing series is the only thing that will enable the resurection of big time open wheel racing in the U.S. Having said that, I am of the firm opinion that Tony George and the IMS brain trust are incapable of doing that.

...and, either Bernie and his jillions or NASCAR ( which would be deplorable) taking control of a single open wheel series, are unfortunately about the only things that could save this train wreck....NASCAR could simply be too imbedded in Joe American's consciousness these days for another dominant racing series to exist. It very well could be that big time open wheel racings' time has passed. :(

NismoZ
03-05-06, 03:13 PM
IF...aye, "there's the rub!"-Jono :D Sure, there's always a rub! I didn't want to talk about that in my post though because it would betray my OWN wishes for a single well-run series and identify me as one of those fans who favors one side over the other. Guilty! Neither did I suggest it has to be a 50-50 compromise but both sides control much that would be assets to any single series. (I'd sure like to see the season start in St. Pete then move on to Long Beach, in turbocharged Panoz/Cosworths, of course, for one! :thumbup: ) I'm just not in an "all or nothing" mode, that's all. I suppose values have to be placed on those assets and be included in any plan for the formation of a new series. I'm also aware there is a difference between "merger" and "unification" and how the former might lead to the latter over the course of time, say when the Honda '09 agreement and venue contracts expire? ;) I suppose '07 is very big for ChampCar but '09 might be as big for the sport, as a whole.(?) Shouldn't be difficult to blend the conclusion of CC's 5 year plan into a new 3-year plan for a single series once a decision to proceed in that direction has been reached. IF... :)

shaggy_socal
03-06-06, 01:46 AM
Coyne probably won't announce his drivers until the first practice session at Long Beach.

pchall
03-06-06, 11:25 AM
I wonder if somewhere on the organizational chart for CCWS there's Driver Resources Dept. that matches up drivers with talent, drivers with money, sponsors, with teams in need? If not, I'll take the job.

Spicoli
03-06-06, 12:12 PM
I wonder if somewhere on the organizational chart for CCWS there's Driver Resources Dept. that matches up drivers with talent, drivers with money, sponsors, with teams in need? If not, I'll take the job.

That is far too logical. :eek:

nrc
03-06-06, 01:05 PM
Added more names with question marks to the original post based on Robin's latest speculation. I haven't added Servia at PKV because while there is the McGee connection, McGee seemed to question whether Servia was hungry enough in his days with Patrick.

G.
03-06-06, 02:26 PM
ROBIN MILLER'S STRAIGHT FROM THE GEARBOX
Monday, March 6, 2006

We're a month away from Champ Car's season opener at Long Beach and right now we're a lot more curious than we are educated.

In other words, there's a lot more questions than answers in terms of which drivers will be competing in the eight month, 15-race championship that's been Sebastien Bourdais' personal property the past two years.

Bruno Junqueira and Bourdais are set at Newman/Haas, Paul Tracy and Mario Dominguez are back at Forsythe Racing and RuSPORT returns Justin Wilson and A.J. Allmendinger.

Katherine Legge is confirmed at PKV Racing, while Will Power definitely has a seat at Team Australia.

And Andrew Ranger has sponsors, just no team yet.

But the other nine slots are anybody's guess.

Oriol Servia, who took the reins at Newman/Haas following Bruno's accident at Indy and finished second in the point standings, would seem to be at the top of the unemployed list.

PKV would be a logical fit for Servia because he's got history with team manager Jim McGee, a solid resume and is the kind of experienced hand that needs to help guide Legge's rookie season.

Since Allmendinger is the lone American in the lineup at the moment, Ryan Hunter-Reay should be a slam dunk for a good home in Champ Car. He's got a pair of victories, a winning smile and wants very much to stay in this series.

"This has been the LONGEST off season," he said. "I've been beating the bushes for sponsorship and I've got some leads but they're dependant on the quality of the ride.

"I've even talked to some people about single event backing but it's the same thing, They all want to know the team, the engineer and if they've got a chance to win."

Veteran Alex Tagliani should be a no-brainer yet also seems to be in limbo at Team Australia since the hot rumor is that Aussie Ryan Briscoe will be joining countryman Power.

"We've definitely got interest in running three cars if we can swing it financially," said co-owner Derrick Walker. "But right now everything is up in the air. Alex did a good job for us last year and he's hoping he's got a ride and Briscoe wants to be in this series as well.

"We'll get it all sorted out pretty soon. We must because we haven't tested one single day yet."

Obviously, Tags is crucial to the three Canadian races, but no more so than Ranger, who is also the future of Champ Car north of the border.

The 19-year-old Quebec native turned in some sparkling moments as a rookie in 2005 for MiJack/Conquest and is hopefully going to be back with Eric Bachelart's and Mike Lanigan's operation.

"The good thing is we've got some new sponsors coming on board to go with last year's so I'm not getting nervous," said Ranger's agent Alan Labrosse, who also promoted the Montreal race in 2004 in addition to representing Patrick Carpentier for many years.

"I'm going to meet with Eric this week so hopefully we'll have something finalized in the next two weeks."

HMV, which signed Ronnie Bremer to a contract for '06 last spring, has been quiet but Nelson Phillipe may be ticketed for Keith Wiggins & Company. The 19-year-old Frechman showed marked improvement in '05 and finished the season strong at Mexico City by qualifying eighth and finishing seventh.

Gareth Ridpath, a 10-year veteran of lower formula racing in Europe, also tested with HVM recently at Sebring.

Gentilozzi's shop is based in Lansing, Michigan but he may have a Brazilian flavor in '06. The RocketSports owner has been quoted as saying he's talked with Antonio Pizzonia and Enrique Bernoldi about Champ Car and this would be a Team Brazil pairing.

Gentilozzi also says he's in discussions with Frank Montagny, last year's test driver for F1 champion Renault who tested impressively for PKV this winter.

All this last-minute stuff is old hat for Dale Coyne, whose lineup always seems to materialize as the cars are being unloaded for the season opener.

Ricardo Sperafico ran for Coyne in '05 and is likely to return, while Rodolfo Lavin or Dan Clarke could be candidates for the second seat.

Charles Zwolsman, the 2005 Atlantic champion who tested a Champ Car earlier this winter, is also in the picture for one of the many mystery seats of '06.

linky (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9988)

Spicoli
03-06-06, 03:16 PM
transaltion?: who the **** knows. :cry:

Git 'R' Done. :gomer:

Easy
03-06-06, 03:35 PM
Maybe if Malcolm is less than 9 seconds off the pace in FBMW he can buy a one off Champ Car ride somewhere this season.

pchall
03-06-06, 05:04 PM
Maybe if Malcolm is less than 9 seconds off the pace in FBMW he can buy a one off Champ Car ride somewhere this season.

He doesn't sound that stupid in the press release quotes. Besides, his hair is a lot shorter than Fabio Phillipe's. ;)

Dr. Corkski
03-07-06, 01:14 AM
He doesn't sound that stupid in the press release quotes.You must have missed the part about "Eric Jensen" and "Jensen MotorSport". :laugh:

nrc
03-08-06, 10:54 PM
Updated first post for Servia in at PKV. Next?

nrc
03-21-06, 01:42 AM
Updated for Phillip...

PKV - Legge, Servia
HVM - Phillip, Bremmer?, Ridpath?

Conquest - Ranger?, ?
Rocketsports - Montagny?, Pizzonia?, Bernaldi?
Dale Coyne - Sperafico?, Clarke?, Lavin?

pchall
03-21-06, 08:43 AM
Updated for Phillip...

HVM - Phillip, Bremmer?, Ridpath?

Scratch Ridpath.

He has too little experience, more mouth than talent, and should probably be looking for a folding chair next to Vince MacMahon at the next WWE Smackdown instead a Champ Car seat.

KLang
03-21-06, 10:31 AM
AR1 has Mi-Jack Conquest annoucing Zwolsman today.

tllips
03-21-06, 10:34 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds good to me.

pchall
03-21-06, 11:04 AM

That's great, but I do hope he gets an experienced teammate.

FTG
03-21-06, 11:44 AM
Which is precisely why I'll buy a couple of Shifter Karts and fling 'em around

How much would that cost you?

Dr. Corkski
03-21-06, 01:11 PM
Scratch Ridpath.

He has too little experience, more mouth than talent, and should probably be looking for a folding chair next to Vince MacMahon at the next WWE Smackdown instead a Champ Car seat.That means he has virtually everything that PKV is looking for. Let's see:

Not enough experience, meaning a throwaway year - check
Not the fastest - check
Will bring undeserved media attention - check

If only Ridpath wasn't a he. :gomer:

KLang
03-21-06, 04:29 PM

announcement (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=10021)

Indianapolis, Indiana, March 21, 2006 - Mi-Jack Conquest Racing announced today it has signed last year's Atlantic champion, Charles Zwolsman, to a full-time ride for the 2006 Champ Car World Series season.

:thumbup: One more down.

cameraman
03-21-06, 04:35 PM
Another furriner, Champ Car never hires Amurikens :gomer: :gomer:

:thumbup: :D

nrc
03-21-06, 08:45 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds good to me.

I have to wait for Corkski to weigh in on whether he's deserving.

Dr. Corkski
03-21-06, 08:50 PM
I have to wait for Corkski to weigh in on whether he's deserving.He has a dick, so that's an obvious no. :gomer:

nrc
03-21-06, 08:58 PM
He has a dick, so that's an obvious no. :gomer:
We appreciate your in-depth investigative reporting. Please resume practicing proper men's room etiquette (http://webpages.marshall.edu/~hartwel1/humor/misc/mens_room_etiquette.html).

harryp
03-26-06, 12:37 AM
We appreciate your in-depth investigative reporting. Please resume practicing proper men's room etiquette (http://webpages.marshall.edu/~hartwel1/humor/misc/mens_room_etiquette.html).

What about peeing in a trough (like at Daytona)?

Any rules/etiquette there?

KLang
03-28-06, 04:48 PM
Coyne is supposed to announce tomorrow morning. Isn't this earlier then usual?

AR1 has the drivers as Pastorelli and da Matta.

da Matta :saywhat: If true, could be an interesting year for Coyne.

edit:
AR1 also reporting as fact Dan Clarke in at HVM. I don't see anything at Champ Car's site yet though.

rabbit
03-28-06, 05:59 PM
edit:
AR1 also reporting as fact Dan Clarke in at HVM. I don't see anything at Champ Car's site yet though.
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/22784/

cameraman
03-28-06, 06:20 PM
#4 CTE Racing-HVM - ??? -Nelson Philippe
#14 CTE Racing-HVM - ??? - Dan Clarke

Now all they need to do is announce a sponsor or two...

KEITH WIGGINS: We'll have something at Long Beach. I think what we're working on is ‑‑ I don't think it probably will be done at Long Beach, no, and I just say that because these things always take longer than as always. It's quite a unique sort of deal to put together.

So I think probably after Long Beach we'll announce it, but we'll have some stuff for Long Beach.

Easy
03-29-06, 11:42 AM
#4 CTE Racing-HVM - ??? -Nelson Philippe
#14 CTE Racing-HVM - ??? - Dan Clarke

Now all they need to do is announce a sponsor or two...

That would be Dad and uh, Dad.

KLang
03-29-06, 12:36 PM
da Matta in at Coyne. Wow.

pchall
03-29-06, 12:44 PM
da Matta in at Coyne. Wow.

DCR with a real driver for a whole season. I smell podium finishes. :)

KLang
03-29-06, 04:41 PM
nrc, you're not keeping up. :p

HVM - Philippe, Clarke
Dale Coyne - da Matta, Pastorelli?

TKGAngel
03-29-06, 04:43 PM

Or a Sperafico to be named later?

trauma1
03-29-06, 04:47 PM
Or a Sperafico to be named later?
that's the big plus this year no Sperafico, just clarke, oh well have to have at least one, but the rest of the grid is pretty deep

KLang
03-29-06, 06:51 PM
Pizzonia announcement (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=10033)

HVM - Philippe, Clarke
Dale Coyne - da Matta, Pastorelli?
Rocketsports - Pizzonia, ?

cameraman
03-29-06, 07:02 PM
Rocketsports Racing is proud to announce that Antonio Pizzonia has been signed to drive the #8 Rocketsports Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone Champ Car in Long Beach with sponsorship announcements to be forthcoming.

A one race deal?????

rabbit
03-29-06, 07:10 PM
A one race deal?????
That's what it looks like.

KLang
03-29-06, 09:08 PM
A one race deal?????

I think you might be reading it too literally. PG posted over at crapwagon that he will have two cars starting in Houston.

cameraman
03-29-06, 09:12 PM
But two cars driven by......

nrc
03-29-06, 10:53 PM
nrc, you're not keeping up. :p

Blame my employer for keeping me busy. :P

Is HVM or CTE now?

NismoZ
03-30-06, 12:31 AM
Pizzonia and another Brazilian to be named later.

Tony George
04-06-06, 12:41 PM
Add this guy. Kind of early for Dale.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=10056

nrc
04-06-06, 12:52 PM
OK, so that leaves the second Rocketsports seat - or is Jimmy an insurance entry in case PG only shows up with one?

Fitti Fan
04-06-06, 01:11 PM
Hmmm, the race is this weekend?

Do we have a lineup?

NismoZ
04-06-06, 01:27 PM
Yes, 3 for PKV, 1 for PG at Long Beach, Pizzonia. He says 2 for Houston then perhaps no Jimmy there. Trying to maintain 18 I'm sure. PG has indicated he likes Rocky Moran, but still hasn't ruled out Bernoldi in a "Team Brazil" concept. The problem as always is money and who can bring it.

rabbit
04-06-06, 01:30 PM
Hmmm, the race is this weekend?

Do we have a lineup?
Champcar.ws has the event schedule (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Content/PDF/Results/2006/20060403PDFR_0001.pdf) up, but no entry list.