PDA

View Full Version : Robin's latest

Racing Truth
03-03-06, 06:16 PM
NOTE: This article has to do with the dreaded "U-word." If, like many you're tired of said subject, please exit stage left now. Thank you. (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/22350/) :gomer:

Nothing that hasn't been said, but quite eloquent and diplomatic on RM's part.

KLang
03-03-06, 06:21 PM
Which way is left? ;)

Racing Truth
03-03-06, 06:37 PM
Which way is left? ;)

That way.

:gomer: ;)

Andrew Longman
03-03-06, 07:29 PM
Nothing that hasn't been said, but quite eloquent and diplomatic on RM's part.

Agreed.

But some are more desparate than others. As has also been said I think KK has played this just right. TG will either capitulate or see his whole thing collapse as teams and sponsors flee, and then capitulate.

In the end I think CC wins. Their formula, mostly their events, their business model. With that the series has stability and the fans win. TG gets to decide if he gets to keep his dignity. KK is doing his best to help that happen because in this case that's just good business. KK left his hammer at home and came to play chess instead.

jonovision_man
03-03-06, 11:15 PM
Which way is left? ;)

Do you have an IRL steering wheel circa 2003?

jono

pchall
03-04-06, 10:50 AM
Hey, the season is at hand. What else do you expect from Robin Miller? He loves the 500 and dreads yet another Month of May where Tony George further diminishes a once great event. So he blows the trumpet and calls for Champ Car to the rescue.

Rocketdoc
03-04-06, 10:32 PM
Robin,

Nice bunch of words, as usual, but this "unified series" has lost this fan. And, I think that it's going to have to find quite a few more too.

It sounds that I'm being petulent or short-sighted, but I won't follow anything that has Tony George involved in it, unless it's just being the trackowner of the I500.

I can't be that forgiving or "above all that" when that sucker blew open wheeled racing apart.

NASCAR has American racing tightly by the orbs, and that's not going to change for a couple of decades, if ever.

The France's have even put their "blot' on Road Racing and that really pizzes me off, no end.

So whether unification happens or not, American open wheeled racing has been screwed far too much, both by CART, but especially George, for this fan to continue interest.

Jervis Tetch 1
03-05-06, 12:52 AM
Let the I*L die. :thumdown:

CART T. Katz
03-05-06, 04:08 AM
Robin,

Nice bunch of words, as usual, but this "unified series" has lost this fan. And, I think that it's going to have to find quite a few more too.

It sounds that I'm being petulent or short-sighted, but I won't follow anything that has Tony George involved in it, unless it's just being the trackowner of the I500.

I can't be that forgiving or "above all that" when that sucker blew open wheeled racing apart.

NASCAR has American racing tightly by the orbs, and that's not going to change for a couple of decades, if ever.

The France's have even put their "blot' on Road Racing and that really pizzes me off, no end.

So whether unification happens or not, American open wheeled racing has been screwed far too much, both by CART, but especially George, for this fan to continue interest.

if leadership is smart (and considering some of the decisions being made, that is very questionable at this point) and wants to maintain a large section of their fans, they tell anton they will agree to everything that was proposed, the exception being any ownership in any combined series.

because i feel exactly how rocket feels. i will not contribute anything to anton's pocketbook because what pointless strife, tears and anger he has caused the last 10 years. and if he does become an owner, well, there are always tapes of races to watch again.

nrc
03-05-06, 02:45 PM
I don't have a problem with giving the little twit a seat at the table. The only way this is going to be wrapped up is if it can be painted as a merger of equals. A lot of effort will be put into presenting it that way. But there's no way on earth that he should have control. He has proven that he's simply not competent to run an open wheel series.

While some may fear that Kalkhoven has gone all maudlin with Tony George, remember that Forsythe has just as much say as Kalkhoven in any merger and he has always been pretty resolute about exactly what Champ car should be.

Andrew Longman
03-05-06, 02:55 PM
At the risk of trivializing WWII, the US dropped an atomic bomb on Japan and Hilter killed 6 million Jews and others.

But the Allies still gave the people of Japan and Germany their dignity after the war. Because it made sense.

TG should NOT control more than his bowels (I love that line BTW) and IMS, but if he has to be allowed his pride in order to have a properly run, top flight, healthy, diverse and competitive open wheel series then so be it.

Besides, even if it is billed as a merger of equals, how long before TG's lack of competence puts him in a postition where he is pretty much going along for the ride anyway? I really doubt he would even threaten to leave and take his ball home again.

cameraman
03-05-06, 04:26 PM
But the Allies still gave the people of Japan and Germany their dignity after the war. Because it made sense.

But the leaders were tried and hung by the neck until dead....

pchall
03-05-06, 08:01 PM
But the leaders were tried and hung by the neck until dead....

But the Japanese were left a figurehead who had been their god. To placate the gomers and satisfy Tony George's ego, best they Hirohito him -- politically neuter him but let him remain God Emperor of Openwheel. Eleven months of the year he would have to stay in his Pagoda praying before his family shrine.

Rocketdoc
03-05-06, 08:36 PM
Andrew,

“At the risk of trivializing WWII, the US dropped an atomic bomb on Japan and Hitler killed 6 million Jews and others. “

I’m one of those people that believe in punishment, rather than rehabilitation, and that always doesn’t hold logically, but I am that adamant that I will not buy a Japanese car, although I do know how good they are, and I’ve actually driven back to a Border’s Bookstore to return a nice looking bookmark that is made in China; it only takes my mind a few thoughts to remember my reading of the “Rape of Nan king”, and my working in the “Dark (Spook) World” concerning my trust of the People’s Republic of China.

The two Atomic Bombs that were dropped on our enemy in 1945 probably saved 600,000 to 1.2 million souls. As bad as those weapons are, they were the right thing at the right time.

As for Hitler, I’m not capable of bringing forth words that can fully express my disgust at what humans can be capable of.

”But the Allies still gave the people of Japan and Germany their dignity after the war. Because it made sense.”

At the time, it was nothing more than a least of evils; nothing more. It might make some people feel good that they (us, the United States) extended a hand to rebuild their society and a sense of forgiveness to their common population, but history must still remember their acts.
It was then, as it is now, very difficult to rationalize benevolence to your enemy, when you may have had a loved one removed from the earth because of a difference of political theme, or the idea that your enemy is not worthy of life. Forgiveness is a virtuous ideal, but it must not impinge on the facts of history.
General Marshall rightly has gone down in history as a worthy victor and a benevolent man, but as you’ve pointed out, it was more of something that made sense in the greater political view.

”TG should NOT control more than his bowels (I love that line BTW) and IMS, but if he has to be allowed his pride in order to have a properly run, top flight, healthy, diverse and competitive open wheel series then so be it.”

He deserves no sense of pride. He is the initiator of this internecine war.
His perception of being the goofball that started all this transcends including him in any “settlement with honor” sham.

”Besides, even if it is billed as a merger of equals, how long before TG's lack of competence puts him in a position where he is pretty much going along for the ride anyway? I really doubt he would even threaten to leave and take his ball home again.”

My point: bad apple in the barrel, a wrench thrown into rotating machinery, a felon in the woodpile, a Catholic school girl at a drive-in, ad nauseum.

He doesn’t belong in a functioning, professionally run enterprise. To risk his inclusion is to guarantee failure.

Racing Truth
03-05-06, 08:53 PM
Ahem...

Reason #457,237 for merging.

I've done it myself too, but comparing this nonsense to a real war, esp. WWII, is, if I may, gettimg really old. Hint: Its not THAT important.

mueber
03-06-06, 08:49 AM
....at least the small percentage of Americana who still have some use for open wheel racing.

That's the problem, and I have yet to hear anyone suggest a plan to correct it. Unification or not, Gomerville or not, if a strategy is not developed soon to make open wheel attractive to viewers, spectators, sponsors and the most skilled potential participants, the sport is doomed to, at best, hobbyist status.

Unification, even if it is inevitable, is just a step along the path.

Andrew Longman
03-06-06, 09:05 AM
Doc

As I said, I risk trivializing WWII by comparing the OW wars to it. I have the greatest respect for those (and the families of those) that served. It was a horror and those involved must put it in whatever perspective they can. Do as you must in regards to those nations and their products.

But this is just racing, and my only point was if as a nation the US could embrace a nation so evil they nuked them, then there should be a way to neuter TG with dignity.

But neutered he must be.