PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Wallace / IRL test

Wheel-Nut
03-03-06, 12:43 PM
Rusty discovers the true secret of what it takes to drive an earl sled . . .

“To pick up that much speed over what I did, these guys have to be driving beyond damn-near brain-dead,” Wallace said with a laugh. :gomer:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/22348/

spinner26
03-03-06, 01:03 PM
Rusty discovers the true secret of what it takes to drive an earl sled . . .

“To pick up that much speed over what I did, these guys have to be driving beyond damn-near brain-dead,” Wallace said with a laugh. :gomer:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/22348/

So from that, I gather he'd pizz all over his self if he'd drive a real race car.

TKGAngel
03-03-06, 01:12 PM
He only ran 5 laps? Isnt that the time it takes to get the tired warmed?

I'm kind of shocked they got him to agree to do demo laps before each IRL race.

cameraman
03-03-06, 01:18 PM
Why does someone find marketing value in having a retired nascab driver turning pointless laps 5-10 seconds down on the field before the race?

Oooo look at dat, an ex-nascar driver in a car wit no fenders.

wtf :shakehead

Stu
03-03-06, 02:36 PM
cuz a lot of people like Rusty Wallace?

Wheel-Nut
03-03-06, 02:44 PM
Why does someone find marketing value in having a retired nascab driver turning pointless laps 5-10 seconds down on the field before the race?

I don't think it was intended as a marketing deal. Rusty wanted to get familiar with the equipment so he has a slight idea of what he is talking about on the broadcasts.

G.
03-03-06, 03:00 PM
I don't think it was intended as a marketing deal. Rusty wanted to get familiar with the equipment so he has a slight idea of what he is talking about on the broadcasts.

Wallace said he intends to drive exhibition laps at each of the IRL events in 2006 in conjunction with his work as color commentator for ABC/ESPN telecasts of IRL races. But he probably won’t be circling the track as quickly as Penske’s Helio Castroneves, whose best lap was in the low 1:11 range.

Spicoli
03-03-06, 04:01 PM
**** Rusty. ****ing hilljack dickhead.

mueber
03-03-06, 04:11 PM

Gene Simmons at work!

I think the reasoning is just what it appears: More people will come to an IRL race to see a retired NASCAR driver put on an exhibition for the fans than will come just to see the IRL regulars.

TKGAngel
03-03-06, 05:14 PM
Gene Simmons at work!

I think the reasoning is just what it appears: More people will come to an IRL race to see a retired NASCAR driver put on an exhibition for the fans than will come just to see the IRL regulars.

But if they were there with free tix to begin with, who is the Rusty promo effort benefitting?

Rocketdoc
03-03-06, 06:10 PM
Who can possibly care what Rusty Wallace is doing, going to do, has done, may do, could do, won't do, do-do....

Old race car drivers are only worth something when they leave "on-top".

Andrew Longman
03-03-06, 07:12 PM
While I couldn't care less if Rusty or Bozo the Clown is in the booth for IRL broadcasts, IMO I think it is good for open wheel racing in general for a well known and popular driver like Rusty to say that driving rear engined formula car (even an IRL sled) is just balls out crazy compared to the cabs he's used to driving.

And he had some deep respect for the road racers he met at the 24. That can't be a bad thing.

Now let's get him in a DP01 at Road America in 07 and see what he says.