PDA

View Full Version : Guy eaten by bear

trish
02-26-06, 09:43 PM
There's a documentary on this guy, Timothy Treadwell who decided to go live with bears to protect them (or some such nonsense) and they ended up eating him and his girlfriend. It's on the Discovery channel now. It will re-air at Midnight ET and is a three hour program. It may be tough to view the whole three hours. It's like watching a feminine, angry Mr. Rogers.

RichK
02-26-06, 11:03 PM
That's a pretty good description of him! :laugh:

The documentary is called "Grizzly Man" for those searching on Tivo. It's an interesting look at a misguided guy.

trish
02-26-06, 11:14 PM
The bugs and flies on the camera in that last scene are pretty foreshadowing.

chop456
02-27-06, 02:17 AM
Everyone I know that's seen the movie says that by the end, they can't wait for the bears to eat him. Just from the audio I've heard on talk radio, I'd tend to agree. Not to mention that he was a criminal, a liar and an idiot.

:burp:

Lizzerd
02-27-06, 02:23 AM
I saw that a couple days ago. Very good, and a bit disturbing. It actually happened in 2000 or 2001, I think.

It is a sad story, but in a way, I have to think that if this guy wouldn't have been in Alaska he would have been burning down medical research facilities or throwing paint on fur coats in the lower 48 somewhere. He was, or appeared to be, very passionate in his love for wild animals. I admired that, but he did take it stupidly to the extreme.

rocket
02-27-06, 06:18 AM
I've never seen it, but I know of plenty of bear attack stories and have seen some good pics of the remains. Wild animals that big are nothing to be messed with. From what I understand a grizzlys heart beats so slow (about 8 times a minute) that if you were to actually get of a shot that good in the ticker it could take 10 or 15 minutes before it would stop chasing you. The average bear skull thicknes can be near 2 inches in the front. That means the average bullet deforms and irritates the bear. Many folks have pumped a couple clips of 9mm into those things trying to stop one, only to have it die 20 minutes after it's done eating them. In alaska they have Bear loads for ammo, .44mag tin lead alloy rounds that don't deform, they penetrate. Bears can reach 40 mph for short burst on all 4's, slow them down by shooting into the front shoulders and shattering the joints, then a kill shot. Learned that stuff from my dad, who lives up in Anchorage, does more salmon fishing than hunting, but has gone moose and grizzly hunting as well as for elk. Takes the 44 with the bear loads fishing, as many folks do up there. It's a high price to pay for shooting a bear, they are real priotective of them in AK. you better have a good reason to off one or you could land in jail. Black bears can actually be more dangerous, they are territorial and will attack you just for being there, generally grizzlys only attack if they are surprised or are protectring a kill or young ones.

A coastal grizzly is probably the deadliest thing out there, even more so than a great white, of course if you've ever been bit by one of those you'd beg to differ.

Best advice short story. If there is a bear you just need to be one step quicker than the slowest person :)