PDA

View Full Version : Cavin - Newman Haas at the 500.....

cameraman
02-24-06, 06:57 PM
This is what he wrote:

And don't rule out a Newman Haas car. They have the equipment and there has to be a reason why they tried to hire Meira at the last minute. Did you know the team also bought IRL-only equipment at Panther's auction? I don't think it was to auction off at the next Leukemia & Lymphoma Society fundraiser.

Anyone know what is going on?

:saywhat:

Andrew Longman
02-24-06, 07:13 PM
This is what he wrote:

Anyone know what is going on?

:saywhat:

Not me, but here's a guess. They don't really have equipment. I suspect both Bruno's and SeeBass' crashes last year totalled those cars. I presume they have 2 spares though.

Given the state of the IRL there are not a lot of takers who might want those spares, or if they do would not pay a decent coin for them.

Buy buying the Panther stuff on the cheap, they raise the value of the equipement they have, or make it it fairly easy to run the 500as a one off (which is sponsorship they ought to be able to sell). They might even get paid by TG to help fill the field.

Even more so, IF there has already been a deal made to merge in 07, then it is in CCWS interest to not see the 06 500 further damaged. It would be in NH interest to make 06 as big a deal as possible (and announcing a planned merger and having a few CCWS teams show up would do just that).

Just hairbrained conjecture and it will piss off some around here, but you asked. :)

cart7
02-24-06, 07:30 PM
Not me, but here's a guess. They don't really have equipment. I suspect both Bruno's and SeeBass' crashes last year totalled those cars. I presume they have 2 spares though.

Given the state of the IRL there are not a lot of takers who might want those spares, or if they do would not pay a decent coin for them.

Buy buying the Panther stuff on the cheap, they raise the value of the equipement they have, or make it it fairly easy to run the 500as a one off (which is sponsorship they ought to be able to sell). They might even get paid by TG to help fill the field.

Even more so, IF there has already been a deal made to merge in 07, then it is in CCWS interest to not see the 06 500 further damaged. It would be in NH interest to make 06 as big a deal as possible (and announcing a planned merger and having a few CCWS teams show up would do just that).

Just hairbrained conjecture and it will piss off some around here, but you asked. :)

I highlighted a very distinct possibility. There may be more going on behind the scenes in this deal than anyone is letting on and yes, if there is a deal, not having 33 would not be in the interest of CCWS this year.

cameraman
02-24-06, 07:31 PM
Not me

That was all I really needed....

Andrew Longman
02-24-06, 07:39 PM
That was all I really needed....

Sorry, just tryin' to help. :gomer:

All I can say is that if there is no deal in the works, NH dicking around with running the 500 is a needless and dangerous distraction for all involved. If there is no deal coming then it better just be a way of controlling the market for spares a bit

NismoZ
02-24-06, 08:04 PM
My understanding is the Centrix guy came to H/H and asked them to do the 500 last season.. Pretty easy "sell", huh?

Gnam
02-24-06, 08:47 PM
This blurb was in the first paragraph of a Gordon Kirby story on champcar.ws:ink-a-dink-a-bottle-of-link (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9964)

Newman/Haas had hired John Cummiskey and Mark Shambarger to run some IRL cars for the team at the Indianapolis 500 in 2004 and '05 and Lisles decided that having the small team do some restoration work made good economic sense. The idea made even more sense when Newman/Haas decided not to return to Indianapolis in 2006.
Maybe they boughted some of Panther's trophies. :p

tllips
02-24-06, 09:18 PM

(and announcing a planned merger and having a few CCWS teams show up would do just that).

The problem with a few CCWS teams showing up is that they are in Houston for Pole weekend and Monterrey for Bump weekend.

The only way a CCWS driver could qualify is to run Houston Saturday night and then Indy on Sunday barring any weather issues on Sunday.

NismoZ
02-25-06, 12:03 AM
I don't know who he'd hire but I don't believe either of his drivers would be involved after last year's disaster. If Michael and Cheever are in maybe King Carl could call on...daMatta!? If anyone hikes from Houston to IMS overnight it'd probably be pitcrew. Last year all the car prep was done in Indy and the crews just came in on Sat. and left on Sun. Easiest race weekend of the year!

JoeBob
02-25-06, 11:28 AM
About the only things that are "IRL Only" are the cars. N-H has run G-Forces, while Panther had Dallaras. And, the purchasers of the Dallaras weren't them.

Far more likely was N-H buying equipment for a 3rd ChampCar, and Cavin being fed BS about it being "IRL only" equipment.

Racing Truth
02-27-06, 08:08 PM
I highlighted a very distinct possibility. There may be more going on behind the scenes in this deal than anyone is letting on and yes, if there is a deal, not having 33 would not be in the interest of CCWS this year.

You know, I just read all of this stuff yesterday (sick for two weeks), and I wondered that too.