PDA

View Full Version : tony George: douchebag

Spicoli
02-24-06, 10:08 AM
Yeah, you heard me right. :thumdown:

February 24, 2006

Pit Pass: Steve Ballard & Curt Cavin
George warns open-wheel fans there's no merger in sight

Tony George wants the hubbub following news of his recent meetings with Champ Car World Series co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven to subside.

"It was a one-day story," the Indy Racing League's founder said Thursday. "I don't expect anything extraordinary to come of it."
George said he and Kalkhoven are not close to striking a deal to merge the two open-wheel series, as both sides have business commitments to honor.
"(The IRL) just signed a four-year agreement with Honda, and we've got a four-year agreement with our broadcast partner," George said. "We're looking into entering long-term agreements with our (event) promoters so all the teams, sponsors and constituents can have an idea where we're going."
Asked if a deal with Champ Car was still possible for the 2007 season, George paused before answering.
"I have no idea where to go with that (answer) because we're not really trying to make something happen," he said. "So I don't know if it's possible for 2007 or not."
On a personal level, Kalkhoven tried to convince George to return to skiing after years of snowboarding.
"We're two guys who have the best intentions of open-wheel racing at heart," said Kalkhoven, who had been in George's company only twice prior to a dinner in Paris in December. "We've met, talked, skied a little and drank wine, but so far that's about it."

Andrew Longman
02-24-06, 10:16 AM
Asked if a deal with Champ Car was still possible for the 2007 season, George paused before answering.
"I have no idea where to go with that (answer) because we're not really trying to make something happen," he said. "So I don't know if it's possible for 2007 or not."

Weird answer, but I take it to mean "I'm making my plans and so is KK". Typical stance in any negotiation to negotiate from a public position of strength and options.

But he can sign any agreements he wants with TV, Honda and venues, if he has no teams he has nothing. Whether he knows that remains to be seen, but he didn't say he has no interest in a merger.

KLang
02-24-06, 10:23 AM
Good, I don't want any sort of merger. I want the earl to die. Then FTG can pay Champ Car a nice sanction fee if he wants a race on memorial day weekend.

Andrew Longman
02-24-06, 10:28 AM
Good, I don't want any sort of merger. I want the earl to die. Then FTG can pay Champ Car a nice sanction fee if he wants a race on memorial day weekend.

That's pretty much what I see is happening. KK may just be helping it die with enough dignity so that TG moves while the Memorial Day race is still worth something.

DagoFast
02-24-06, 11:39 AM
Many years ago, Ronald Reagan declared that you don't negotiate with terrorists. He probably didnt feel the need to add the obvious: you can't negotiate with an idiot.

Fine with me as I ceased caring about the hickyard years ago. I'm looking forward to toeknee taking the track down along with the irl.

How's them Silver Crown orders? Anyone keeping track? :gomer: :D

mueber
02-24-06, 12:11 PM
I don't care. Get over it; move on.

JoeBob
02-24-06, 12:22 PM
Most interesting quote from TG:

"We're looking into entering long-term agreements with our (event) promoters so all the teams, sponsors and constituents can have an idea where we're going."

Think about what that implies.

KLang
02-24-06, 12:24 PM

That FTG is still on dope?

Edit: I see in your post at dolanville the point you are making. Yep, FTG still clueless as usual.

Ozarkian
02-24-06, 01:07 PM

Yep. Further evidence that the ultimate decision to merge will not be his.

TedN
02-24-06, 01:35 PM
Snippet from autosport.com ...

... the unification of the two series is likely to be mutually beneficial, with Champ Car likely to field 18 cars this year and IRL struggling to raise 16, suggesting a merger needs to happen sooner rather than later.

While Kalkhoven refused to talk in specific terms, he acknowledged why the media around the globe has been excited by hearing of the latest round of talks.

He added: "Yes it's everyone's dream, but media speculation does not help. If you care about open-wheel racing in North America, and believe it has a future, please go away and leave us alone."

Link (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/49708)

Ted

eiregosod
02-24-06, 02:37 PM
Phoney Gorge

-still doesn't know.

cart7
02-24-06, 04:03 PM
My guess is the Tony bucks have already started flowing. It'll get worse come May, KK is feeling the pinch as well. He's spent a ton of $$ on the series but doesn't have alot of corporate $$ backing up the teams which means more money out of his pocket just filling a grid and less money to spend elsewhere to try and grow the league in order to get the corporate intest to solve the problem I just described, catch22.

If there's a merger it's because neither of these 2 see's an end in sight with both series bobbing along being funded out of their own pockets.

FTG
02-24-06, 05:55 PM
If there's a merger it's because neither of these 2 see's an end in sight

If there's a merger, it'll be because Tony's family got tired of losing money because of his stupidity. If the family lets him keep losing money, he'll keep right on spending it stupidly.

cart7
02-24-06, 07:35 PM
If there's a merger, it'll be because Tony's family got tired of losing money because of his stupidity. If the family lets him keep losing money, he'll keep right on spending it stupidly.

Someone I talked to confirmed he had heard that the sisters cutting off the family funding to the IRL in 2002 were no rumours.

gjc2
02-24-06, 08:25 PM

I agree. If what is called a "merger" happens it will acutely be TG folding the IRL, taking any worthwhile assets and buying into OWRS as a partner. I hope the OWRS principals recoup all of there investment in the deal. I would expect that TG would then announce the IRL project had been a complete and total success and that all of he goals had been achieved.

George

SteveH
02-24-06, 09:29 PM
Tony George - the definition of a drowning man who thinks he can swim the English Channel. :shakehead

BobN
02-25-06, 01:10 PM
I think Spicoli's title is misleading. It implies that FTG is equal to a douchebag. Douchebags serve a much more noble purpose. :D

Racing Truth
02-27-06, 08:13 PM
Well, 1) he certainly didn't didn't say NO to merger in '07 (far from it), and 2) HELLO, this is all part of getting the press to STFU already! KK has said as such. Play down expectations, get media away.