PDA

View Full Version : Shawshank Redemption/Mid-Ohio visiters

Napoleon
01-05-03, 10:23 AM
For anyone who goes to Mid-Ohio thought some of you would be interested in this. The Shawshank Redemption, which was on last night and prompted this post, was filmed at a closed prision just a few miles from Mid-Ohio. While the movie was on I went on-line and found the following site when the little woman and I started discussing taking a tour of it. They have tours including something I have seen on local news shows where they put you in a cell for the night.

http://www.mrps.org/index2.html

Warlock!
01-05-03, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Napoleon
...they put you in a cell for the night.
Ahhh... to be 18 again...

Winter Warlock!

Hardpoint
01-05-03, 11:28 AM
I can find a much easier way to spend a night in jail and probably have a lot more fun getting there.

mello
01-05-03, 11:51 AM
Thanks Nap great site. Looks like something neat to do on a warm summer night. Have you ever heard of Moonville Tunnel? That place is pretty cool too. It is supposed to have a few ghosts of it's own.
http://www.forgottenoh.com/moonville.html

devilmaster
01-05-03, 12:45 PM
Myself and my two compatriots got to see the prison during the valvoline runoffs. We left the runoffs early Sunday to do this tour.

They only run tours on Sundays during the spring to fall season. (no real heat in the old prison.) And the tours only run from 11 to about 3 or so(no real lighting in the prison). They have 3 different tours to take, so you have 3 different chances to go back.

We took the Hollywood tour, which was about an hour or so, and we got to see alot of the scenes of the two major movies that took place there. (Shawshank, Air Force One)

I highly recommend going to see it. In fact, come spring, I'm going back with a couple other friends. Sidenote - there was a documentary crew on our tour,(looked like some college kids) and me and my friend Jimmy, who became the usual smart-a$$es on the tour people (making out-loud comments in fun, etc.). Anyways, when we got to see 'the hole', the tourguide ordered us to get into the solitary confinement cell. Naturally, we made comments and such once we were in. So after the tour we went out to see the fake Russian wall made for Air Force One, and one of the documentary crew comes up and asks us to fill out authorization forms so that they could use us in their documentary. :D

So anyways, :cool: the lineup starts over there, and if ya want an autograph, it'll cost ya 5 bucks a signature. ;)

Steve

mello
01-05-03, 12:53 PM
Hey Steve why not come on down and do a ghost tour with us? We could get a bunch of us together. Oh wait... rules say no drinking.

Napoleon
01-05-03, 04:06 PM
I would be up for a tour.

Mello, the whole site you linked to is pretty cool.

mello
01-05-03, 06:43 PM
We should pick some nice summer night and do it. When we went down to Moonville we took a bunch of pics at the cemetery. In a couple of the pictures there is a form of shoulders and a head comming up out of the ground. Looks like it is just watching us. It was the same picture taken over and over and only shows up in 2 pictures.( I took tons of pictures just trying to find something show up) It is pretty strange. We had a blast that day. Took the dog and went hiking. It is a long hard walk back to the tunnel. You have to cross a creek that is pretty wide and about 3 foot deep at the deepest. Then some pretty steep hills and such. Well worth the trip though. Plus that is Miata driving country down there. :)

RaceChic
04-23-03, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by mello
Hey Steve why not come on down and do a ghost tour with us? We could get a bunch of us together. Oh wait... rules say no drinking.

Actually there is a tour on the Friday night of the Mid-Ohio Weekend, I'd do it.........:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

RacinM3
04-23-03, 09:49 PM
Yeah gobucks, but the difference between the jail you're talking about and Nap's jail is you might walk a little funny after a one night stint in the one you're talking about :eek: