PDA

View Full Version : Autoweek merger article - wtf???

cameraman
02-21-06, 01:31 PM
Huh? Quoting Kalkhoven too... (http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060221/FREE/60221006/1001)

This will be good for a few thousand post threads :rolleyes:

KLang
02-21-06, 01:38 PM
Kalkhoven downplays any pending deal, but concedes that he and George have met several times in the last month.

"There is no letter of intent, and absolutely, completely no deal,'' Kalkhoven told AutoWeek. "We met in Paris at the Race of Champions and on a couple of occasions since, socially. Certainly I expect there will be more meetings in the future. I quite enjoy (George's) company."

Not sure about the enjoying his company part :saywhat: but I think the rest is BS.

Isn't it early in the year for this crap? :shakehead

cameraman
02-21-06, 01:40 PM
There is no proper time of the year for this crap. :thumdown:

Ankf00
02-21-06, 01:49 PM
:laugh:

The story that refused to die

Don Quixote
02-21-06, 01:50 PM
Autoweak, nuff said. :thumdown:

Andrew Longman
02-21-06, 01:53 PM
I've been saying for months that this sort of thing was likely in 07, if for no other reason that the IRL teams getting less funding would drive some of them out and that some of them would likely land in CCWS. If they are going to buy new equipment anyway why no run a lower cost CCWS in a DP01 and use their old equipment to run the 500 as a one off?

That situation also could not be lost on the leadership of both sides. Indeed I think KK has done all the right things strategically to force it including buying events and Cosworth, launching a new Atlantics this year and the DP01 next year. The timing is just about perfect to cause all this to play out at the right speed.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that RP, CG, AGR and BR as much told TG this.

If they are using the DP01, a 2.65 turbo, Atlantics as the feeder and most of the CCWS schedule, then I'd say CCWS won and TG lost.

Interesting to see how Honda plays out with this. They might just choose to leave. One thing for certain there will be tight controls on manufacturers from now on. Owning Cosworth means KK can always show them the door.

Also, it will be interesting to see what 50/50 ownership actually looks like. Who is the tiebreaker? Is there a board and who sits on it? And if most of what remains is CCWS and Tony still owns everything associated with IMS, then is he paying anything for his 50% ownership? I guess you could say that the value of CCWS doubles with the chance to race at Indy so its worth giving TG half ownership.

To be sure KK will continue to be shrewed

But then it is Autoweek, so they probably just ripped it off an internet post. :gomer:

rabbit
02-21-06, 01:56 PM
HOLD YOUR BREATHI'll keep breathing (and keep my socks on), thank you very much. I've been burned too many times to care anymore. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I can't do **** about it.

KLang
02-21-06, 01:57 PM
If FTG has any say at all about anything beyond IMS I am not interested. :flame: I can find something else to do with my Sunday afternoons.

NismoZ
02-21-06, 02:19 PM
Sure he "quite enjoys the company"...because KK knows he's got 'im by the short hairs! :thumbup:

trish
02-21-06, 02:30 PM
A merger would be a good thing, imo.

CHAMPCARS4EVER
02-21-06, 02:48 PM
If FTG has any say at all about anything beyond IMS I am not interested. :flame: I can find something else to do with my Sunday afternoons.
Exactly. Why should the idiot who destroyed the sport have anything to do with it's future? Part of the agreement should be that Tony George goes to work for NASCAR, so he can f**** them up too.

Elmo T
02-21-06, 02:51 PM
To see the headline of the article there at Autoweek - you'd think the ink was drying on "THE AGREEMENT". :rolleyes:

Regardless of what we all think, KK et al will do what is good for their business. Merger, reunification, buy-out, aquisition, take-over, capitulation, surrender - whatever term will be used - if any action happens, it will be because it make good business sense.

NismoZ
02-21-06, 02:51 PM
It'll be fun seeing this all develop and play out over time if remotely true and I'll have to maintain the position that if both sides AND the sport of open wheel racing will benefit then I'll also view it as a positive move. I'll try not to get caught up in the details, leaving that in the hands of those closer to "the solution" while the prospect of larger more heavily sponsored fields, a greater diversity of venues and even a rejuvenated I500 are not distasteful to me.

trish
02-21-06, 02:52 PM

I hope it comes to that.

cart7
02-21-06, 02:52 PM
Neither series is drawing enough Sponsor $$ to support their race teams.

Barnes spilled the beans on the devalued IRL sponsorship.

Too many CCWS teams are relying on ride buyers. Most CCWS sidepod signage isn't enough to support the teams.

Honda money drying up once and for all in 2007.

KK is tired of supporting his series out of pocket.

TG is looking at have to support his series out of pocket again but mama and her sisters have said no.

Dark lighting, restaurant in Paris, TG looks deeply into KK's eyes, KK looks back, both men realize they have a common bond. Neither wants to keep spending his money to keep propping up OW racing. A bond and merger is formed. Cue the violins.

I won't hold my breathe though, Tony always seems to screw things up.

jonovision_man
02-21-06, 03:00 PM
Dark lighting, restaurant in Paris, TG looks deeply into KK's eyes, KK looks back, both men realize they have a common bond. Neither wants to keep spending his money to keep propping up OW racing. A bond and merger is formed. Cue the violins.

ROFL. :D

I'm not convinced either is ready to say "uncle" yet.

KK still shows no signs of feeling any financial strain, so unless he hides it real well I don't think he's gone yet. TG has the 500 and BY400 to prop up his end of the US OW war.

The end of this is a lonnnnnnnnnng way off IMO. I'd love to be wrong though.

jono

Andrew Longman
02-21-06, 03:12 PM
I don't think KK is at the end of his financial strain either. I think he has played this out exactly as he wanted to. No one can deny that he would hugely increase the value of the property he bought at auction if that property comes to sanction the I500. But more so, he will have done it under his own terms, or perhaps better put, because he put it under his own terms. Once he controlled everything that mattered except the I500, what choice does TG have?

If it plays out that way it is actually a brilliant piece of business strategy history.

Interesting.

Too bad CART couldn't have used their fortune to buy Cosworth and Reynard in 1996 and thrown out the manufacturers. Actually didn't Lola go broke about then? Unfortunately, it probably wouldn't have worked then. The whole sport had to be in such bad shape that even Toyota and Honda money couldn't save it.

Wally
02-21-06, 03:13 PM
A merger would be a good thing, imo.

Yep......aside from that I can't think of anything that isn't cynical, sarcastic or negative.........so I won't.

SteveH
02-21-06, 03:24 PM
Tony lost. He didn't start the IRL to share it.

Andrew Longman
02-21-06, 03:27 PM
Tony lost. He didn't start the IRL to share it.

:rofl:

Yes, but if this happens the fans won.

pferrf1
02-21-06, 03:33 PM
They're both in the red and each own their own assets which can benefit and become profit centre independent of the series i.e. IMS for TG, Long Beach, Toronto, Cosworth, Pi for KK et al.

The sum is probably greater than its parts in this case. A stable series of successful events with a reinvigorated I500 as the centrepiece is a very marketable entity, esp without all the split stigma, etc. A consolidated TV deal that perhaps has somebody paying for TV rights and production is an improvement for CCWS. Maybe a new deal with NBC for the whole shebang, including the I500 as ABC prepares to hop on the NASCAR gravy train again. A consolidation of sponsors, both team and series, could lead to a full field for INDY and a full field of sponsored cars the rest of the season, with its fair share of partial participants.

spinner26
02-21-06, 03:41 PM
Someone tell me why it wouldn't make sense to get back together? It is proven Tony has a bad business practice so he wouldn't be a leader I would choose, but that aisde, why wouldn't it benefit all of open wheel racing to see the two groups of teams get together to form the best opportunity for all involved?

With the coming of a common chassis, one able to be used on any course either series runs on, and the fact both series use a spec motor, the teams in the IRL are waiting for '07 to come back anyway, so not to waste money on a chassis for this year, so best bet is to get on with it and accept the coming back together IS gonna happen.

Now, the question becomes, what is the name of the "new" series? Who is the "boss"? ,will Cotmann or Brainfart be the race director? How many ovals? How many streets? How many Road courses?

It's all good, just Git r Done.

Let's go racin.

oddlycalm
02-21-06, 03:50 PM
While all of you'se wasn't looking we've goosed up to within a couple days of the 90 day window of unification insanity and, predictably, here is the first story to kick off this years Failed Unification Series. Building on the sturdy framework of wishful thinking and previous year's rumors, this year we should see a solid stream of stories that hold out the fact that KK and TG don't actually shoot at each other on sight as grounds for hope. Also playing into this years insanity is the notion by those of lesser means that the Great Men will tire of commiting what, for them, amounts to pocket change to their various series.

oc

FTG
02-21-06, 03:56 PM
Someone tell me why it wouldn't make sense to get back together?

Someone tell me why anyone would expect IMS managment to suddenly start doing things that makes sense.

cameraman
02-21-06, 04:02 PM
The Indy 500 concept is a joke with the current cars. You don't need a damn month to set of a Champ car to run an oval. Everything prior to race weekend is useless crap and a waste of time and money anymore. Even if you did merge the series Indy is now just a big squared-off oval race. There is no way in 2007 to change things back to 1965. Not without turning Champ car into a sawed off version of DP's.

nrc
02-21-06, 04:58 PM
ROFL. :D

I'm not convinced either is ready to say "uncle" yet.

KK still shows no signs of feeling any financial strain, so unless he hides it real well I don't think he's gone yet.

Yeah, a big fancy shindig to unveil your feeder series car just screams "financial strain," don't it. :)

The other side always starts unification rumors just prior to the big race in April.

;)

stroker
02-21-06, 04:59 PM

Damn straight.

mueber
02-21-06, 05:06 PM
Robin was on Wind Tunnel last night and said that nothing was ever going to happen. I trust Robin more than Autoweek.

Boatdesigner
02-21-06, 05:17 PM
I can see the advertising already . . . Danica vs. Katherine! :D

trauma1
02-21-06, 05:23 PM
autoweak was the same idiots who printed last week that the CC safety team was going away, the same day the safety team had their meetings and safety refreasher, so autoweaks crediblity isn't to good :rofl:

pkvracing12
02-21-06, 05:30 PM
It's all B.S

oddlycalm
02-21-06, 07:26 PM
It's all B.S That's because it's BS season. This year the forecast is for heavy BS early in the season due to a fecal high pressure area centered in Central Indiana. As the BS season progresses look for that high pressure area continue to build in intensity followed by a low pressure reality front that should wash the BS out by the first week in June. After that, and for the duration of the racing season, expect widely scattered BS along with occasiona smalll BS shower.

All in all, it looks like another fine year in the fertilizer business for the folks at 16th and Georgetown and their media lackeys.

oc

L1P1
02-21-06, 08:15 PM
It's all B.S

Is not. It's all wonderful and true. Click here (http://www.sitcomsonline.com/sounds/laverneandshirley.wav) for the theme song.

jonovision_man
02-21-06, 09:53 PM
Yeah, a big fancy shindig to unveil your feeder series car just screams "financial strain," don't it. :)

Exactly... :) I just don't see any inkling with KK in interviews or how he's continuing to splash around that he's in any kind of trouble with CCWS.

jono

Cam
02-21-06, 11:35 PM
Exactly... :) I just don't see any inkling with KK in interviews or how he's continuing to splash around that he's in any kind of trouble with CCWS.

jono

I gotta ask.... Does that fence ever start to hurt? :rolleyes:

NismoZ
02-22-06, 12:22 AM
Indy Star quotes KK as saying "The only way this is going to happen is if everybody just goes away and leaves us alone." Also "Both sides have to come out of this as a winner." (which makes it sound like they are IN something) No less a personage than Eddie Cheever hisself says "The pot is stirring" and he views it as a good thing. Call it BS if you wish, but SOMEthing is up, KK is running my side of the show and he just said to leave him alone, so...I'm out. Hope for the best.

racer2c
02-22-06, 12:29 AM
All the players know the score. CCWS has been churning out the positives while the IRL has entered critical mass. Tony has to be getting heavy pressure from within i.e. Honda, Bridgestone to at least thinks about the possiblity of a fresh, merged 2007 season. With Mario's comments about Mickey coming back to Champ Car (he never said he was "leaving the IRL" mind you) and with Bubby hob nobbing with the CCWS brass, rumors of Chip coming over, the new CC chassis, the new and hot Atlantics...

With that said, I'd believe OJ over Autoweak.

When I saw this thread and clicked on the link I had a certain reluctance to read the article. I didn't want to read about how CC would drop this race for that, or use a crapwagon chassis or have AJ as their mascot. I thought with a title like that they had some hard evidence that it was a done deal. I've re-read the article and there is nothing of real substance in it to validate a "merger". Actually, if you believe KK, don't make your bets just yet.

rabbit
02-22-06, 12:33 AM
"The only way this is going to happen is if everybody just goes away and leaves us alone."Translated: "The only way this is going to happen is if the media shuts the **** up and waits until there is actually a story before reporting it."

nrc
02-22-06, 12:47 AM
Translation: "If you start reporting that Tony has capitulated you'll spook him and he'll go back in his hole for another six weeks. Well, if you do it in words that he can understand anyway."

rabbit
02-22-06, 12:57 AM
RM chimes in... (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/autoindustry/22207/)
"This was not a good time for this because Tony and I have made a lot of progress in getting to know each other and understanding each other's viewpoints." said Kalkhoven, who has skied and met with George several times in the past months. "Both of us are committed to the future of open wheel racing in North America and we're trying to build bridges for the future.

"Tony has been extremely professional and I can't emphasize how important it has been for both of us to understand each other."
Kalkhoven is optimistic yet has one plea.

"If people truly care about open wheel racing in America, then please go away and leave Tony and I alone."F whoever leaked this to AutoWeak :thumdown:

Winston Wolfe
02-22-06, 01:31 AM
That's because it's BS season. This year the forecast is for heavy BS early in the season due to a fecal high pressure area centered in Central Indiana. As the BS season progresses look for that high pressure area continue to build in intensity followed by a low pressure reality front that should wash the BS out by the first week in June. After that, and for the duration of the racing season, expect widely scattered BS along with occasiona smalll BS shower.

oc

LOL!!!! :rofl:

Yup. Fer sure.
KK is a little smarter than TG and his minions. KK is enjoying getting to know RG, and finding out what a completely fool he is.... really. Must be nice to know that the guy who is your main competition is a lucky ***** club member and hasnt had a good idea since he decided to give up cocaine.

"Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer" or something like that, right.

I've got a pretty good feeling that KK's business sense will prevail over anything that TG and his gravy train of idiots can put together.

This is another "transition year" for CCWS, but I'm liking their chances more and more each day, and each time that KK or CC puts out some press, it seems to be pretty good.

Andrew Longman
02-22-06, 08:21 AM
"Tony has been extremely professional and I can't emphasize how important it has been for both of us to understand each other."

"If people truly care about open wheel racing in America, then please go away and leave Tony and I alone."

Translation: Let me continue to stroke his massive ego to distract him while his manly things get put in a massive vice.

mueber
02-22-06, 08:35 AM
Open wheel is on its death bed. Something has to be done. Do I believe a merger is in the offing or in the long-term best interest of the sport? Well, no. But I find it very easy to believe Bridgestone, Honda, Ford, Target and whatever sponsors are left are on the verge of issuing ultimatums. Perhaps it is an unavoidable interim step.

jonovision_man
02-22-06, 09:29 AM
I gotta ask.... Does that fence ever start to hurt? :rolleyes:

Not half as much as some of those cheerleading moves. I can't even phathom doing the splits.

jono

KLang
02-22-06, 10:23 AM
I'm disappointed that KK is actually talking to FTG. Come on Kevin, don't take your eye off the ball. Let the earl continue to condense and there won't be anything left on their side to talk about merging with. :mad:

trish
02-22-06, 10:24 AM
As everyone likes to say, it's KK's money.

Andrew Longman
02-22-06, 10:59 AM
I'm disappointed that KK is actually talking to FTG. Come on Kevin, don't take your eye off the ball. Let the earl continue to condense and there won't be anything left on their side to talk about merging with. :mad:

Assuming most or all of the story is true, I think he has his eye exactly on the ball. There IS barely anything inthe IRL to merge with. As reported, what would come out of the merger is basically CCWS with the I500 (and ovals that make sense) added.

I think most would agree that a CCWS with the 500 is better than one without it, but not if they wait until tumbleweeds are blowing through the place.

And TG will let that happen unless he feels some love, which is what I think KK is trying to do.

The critical question for me is governance of the new organization (who/how are decisions made).

That and whether we have to keep Gene Simmons as our marketing guy. :shakehead

SteveH
02-22-06, 11:01 AM

"If people truly care about open wheel racing in America, then please go away and leave Tony and I alone."

Translation: Let me continue to stroke his massive ego to distract him while his manly things get put in a massive vice.

I think you're giving TG far too much credit.

Wheel-Nut
02-22-06, 11:02 AM
So if this happens, which CC forum merges with TF?

mueber
02-22-06, 11:11 AM

The answer is obvious. They deserve one another. They'll start with a catfight going for 12 pages over the second sentence in the third paragraph on the fifty-third page of the letter of agreement leading up to the contract between IMS and CCWS. Members of both forums will figure they died and went to heaven.

KLang
02-22-06, 11:19 AM
I think most would agree that a CCWS with the 500 is better than one without it, but not if they wait until tumbleweeds are blowing through the place.

And TG will let that happen unless he feels some love, which is what I think KK is trying to do.

The critical question for me is governance of the new organization (who/how are decisions made).

Since I'm not particularly a fan of Indy, I kinda like the tumbleweeds picture :) I do recognize Champ Car would be better off with Indy though. I'm just worried about what the cost would be, meaning, I'm sure FTG would expect some say in the running of the series, which I will not support.

OTOH I don't believe any of this will happen anyway. Same crap that crops up every year.

pferrf1
02-22-06, 11:20 AM
"If people truly care about open wheel racing in America, then please go away and leave Tony and I alone." - KK

That's the most important statement KK has made since Jan 2004. I also believe everything they have done was designed to lead to a real chance at bringin the I500 into the fold and the old temas back.

Probably something like moving on on our own was plan 1A.

Merging/unifying is Plan 1B, which Plan 1A sets the table for if the right opportunities arise. Plan 1B quite arguably has a greater chance for quicker success than 1A id done right.

Spicoli
02-22-06, 11:23 AM

You better ask Howard. :p

and if this happens, we still allowed to hate on them gomers? :gomer:

rabbit
02-22-06, 11:53 AM
and if this happens, we still allowed to hate on them gomers? :gomer:
I'm sure NASCAR fans will provide us with enough material to keep us busy. :)

Speaking of which - Did I ever tell you about the time I went to a Cup race at MIS. When the scoreboard said "Lap 3," everyone in the stands held up three fingers for Earnhardt. I didn't have the heart to tell them that it was actually the fourth lap, the scoreboard was showing the order at the end of three laps, not the beginning. :gomer:

Cam
02-22-06, 12:02 PM

Speaking of which - Did I ever tell you about the time I went to a Cup race at MIS. When the scoreboard said "Lap 3," everyone in the stands held up three fingers for Earnhardt. I didn't have the heart to tell them that it was actually the fourth lap, the scoreboard was showing the order at the end of three laps, not the beginning. :gomer:

w00t! :thumbup: Gomerneck bashing!? :p

Accipiter
02-22-06, 12:16 PM
Come on guys, let's not get suckered again:

http://catalog.snoop2nuts.com/images/s2n/1017kr.gif

But at least if he pulls away the ball this time, Champ Car has their future direction planned out.

racer2c
02-22-06, 12:20 PM

Are you sure that the three fingers they were holding was actually representing "three wide", cuz it's all about the side by side racing you know. They don't care about the drivers. ;)

Andrew Longman
02-22-06, 12:46 PM
I think you're giving TG far too much credit.

Good point. I could have thought more about my choice of word.

How about "massively tightening" vice? :D

rabbit
02-22-06, 12:59 PM
Are you sure that the three fingers they were holding was actually representing "three wide", cuz it's all about the side by side racing you know. They don't care about the drivers. ;)NASCAR three-wide at MIS? Not so much. They can barely get two-wide at that parade. :shakehead

trauma1
02-22-06, 01:03 PM
TG is running scared, imo there's a owners revolt going on with rahole , chip and liverspots leading the way, and maybe mario is telling the truth about fma moving also, the days of the welfare yen are over, and now he has all the old cart owners ready to revolt, if he doesn't give in he has nothing, honda isn't staying until 2009 to play with themselves, remember Yoda was still suppose to be in EARL this year.

mueber
02-22-06, 01:13 PM
Come on guys, let's not get suckered again:

http://catalog.snoop2nuts.com/images/s2n/1017kr.gif

But at least if he pulls away the ball this time, Champ Car has their future direction planned out.

Actually my analogy is more like, "Boy George gets to the altar but runs like hell when the priest shows up." It has happened often enough that I'm not expecting anything.

Cam
02-22-06, 01:14 PM
............ honda isn't staying until 2009 to play with themselves, remember Yoda was still suppose to be in EARL this year.

Zackley..... The gomerati are crowing over the "fact" that Honda is under this contract..... Once again they blindly ignore the fact that Toyo was under contract too, but that didn't stop them from abandoning the sinking ship anyway. stoopid gomerz....... :rolleyes:

G.
02-22-06, 01:27 PM
TG is running scared, imo there's a owners revolt going on with rahole , chip and liverspots leading the way, and maybe mario is telling the truth about fma moving also, the days of the welfare yen are over, and now he has all the old cart owners ready to revolt, if he doesn't give in he has nothing, honda isn't staying until 2009 to play with themselves, remember Yoda was still suppose to be in EARL this year.All of this seems to be factual and logical. Almost mathematical.

But you are forgetting the FTG factor, kinda like a divide by zero.

trauma1
02-22-06, 01:41 PM
i forgot about defender and wilkie math, it screws me up every time, but they change the rules everyday :rofl:

trauma1
02-22-06, 01:45 PM
i don't think it's going happen, rahole and ganassi are splitting from earl next year regardless, they have seen enough carnage, liverspots is a hard one to read, but i don't see him sinking with the rats, and fma who the f cares what he does, by that time it will not matter because cc will have no need for him, they will have plenty of cars anyway.

jonovision_man
02-22-06, 02:32 PM
Robin's article makes it sound like they're actually working on something...

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/autoindustry/22207/

"This was not a good time for this because Tony and I have made a lot of progress in getting to know each other and understanding each other's viewpoints." said Kalkhoven, who has skied and met with George several times in the past months. "Both of us are committed to the future of open wheel racing in North America and we're trying to build bridges for the future.

skaven
02-22-06, 02:58 PM
I had to sleep on this one as my initial reaction was :mad: ... another autoweek rumor/ leave FTG alone as the course KK is plotting seems to have promise. Grrr...

However, I applaud KK for using the "understanding" word. When I work with a new client or try to resolve business issues/ conflicts, it all comes down to understanding the needs/ motives of the other party, showing empathy and gaining their trust. KK is a hell of a businessman. :thumbup:

The fact that KK has taken him skiing, had a dreamy dinner in Paris, etc. is encouraging from a relationship/ trust standpoint. He is driving down the relationship tension and ratcheting up the task tension. If you plot those two lines on they y-axis vs. time on the x-axis, relationship tension starts high, task tension starts low. Where the lines intersect is the time to provide solutions and close the deal. If TG is as paranoid and insecure as we suspect, it would be a feat to drive down the relationship tension. I wanna have a dreamy dinner with KK... :sigh:

However, (should this happen) I'll wait to see the organizational chart before I make a decision. I might throw in the towel yet and spend my money on other hobbies (heli-skiing for example).

I plan to go to RA this year, that might be my last race ever if TG gets too many undeserved concessions.

skaven
02-22-06, 02:59 PM

Too funny :rofl:

Wheel-Nut
02-22-06, 03:21 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/medium/96555_kalk.george.jpg

:rofl:

Is it just me or does KK look like Duff Killigan?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Wheel-Nut/Duff01.jpg

pkvracing12
02-22-06, 04:45 PM
Is not. It's all wonderful and true. Click here (http://www.sitcomsonline.com/sounds/laverneandshirley.wav) for the theme song.
TG & KK the next Laverne & Shirley is that what you are trying to say?

JLMannin
02-22-06, 05:05 PM
George has to make sure he gets himself on Kalkoven's May calander now, before it fills up. That way, we can have the annual ritual of series consolidation buzz during the month of May. I think it's part of the overall IRL marketing program.

Not sure about the enjoying his company part :saywhat: but I think the rest is BS.

Isn't it early in the year for this crap? :shakehead

dando
02-22-06, 05:07 PM
Is it just me or does KK look like Duff Killigan?

Silly, that's Gimli from Lord of the Rings.

http://www.chromehorse.net/images/lotr/gimli.jpg

:D

-Kevin

oddlycalm
02-22-06, 05:24 PM
Robin's article makes it sound like they're actually working on something... When someone "massages" their competitor there's no doubt someone is getting worked on. ;) That said, anyone experienced in business with a grain of common sense gets to know the competition intimately and maintains a workable relationship. There are lots of reasons to do this that have nothing to do with merger and acquistion. I've had strategic partnerships with competitors I have squared off in Federal court against a few years before. Such relationships are easier than they might sound because you tend to know a lot of the same people and have a lot to talk about.

IMO this doesn't add up to unification. At some point TG may view CCWS as the lesser of his many problems and at that point something may happen. I seriously doubt we are close to that now.

oc

Spicoli
02-22-06, 05:28 PM
I really do believe they are talking. I'm hearing good stuff here in Indy. :thumbup:

nissan gtp
02-22-06, 05:41 PM
I really do believe they are talking. I'm hearing good stuff here in Indy. :thumbup:

such as ?

:sushi:

Spicoli
02-22-06, 05:55 PM
such as ?

:sushi:

http://www.kobemaui.com/images/Okusmenu2.gif

You pay juss rike ereebody else. :gomer:

jonovision_man
02-22-06, 06:01 PM
When someone "massages" their competitor there's no doubt someone is getting worked on. ;) That said, anyone experienced in business with a grain of common sense gets to know the competition intimately and maintains a workable relationship. There are lots of reasons to do this that have nothing to do with merger and acquistion. I've had strategic partnerships with competitors I have squared off in Federal court against a few years before. Such relationships are easier than they might sound because you tend to know a lot of the same people and have a lot to talk about.

IMO this doesn't add up to unification. At some point TG may view CCWS as the lesser of his many problems and at that point something may happen. I seriously doubt we are close to that now.

oc

Sounds like a pretty reasonable analysis.

Maybe something to do with Cosworth, maybe some teams doing one-offs on both sides. 6-race super series? :D There's ample opportunity to work together. But OTOH they're stilll competitors... whether it's competing for venues, teams, sponsors, it's going to be tough for them to balance being buddies on the ski hill then fighting for Long Beach tooth and nail (as an example).

I hope they come to some kind of agreement, I'm still a bit skeptical though.

jono

FCYTravis
02-22-06, 06:07 PM
http://www.engrish.com/image/engrish/cakeass.jpg
www.engrish.com

Gomerbilly
02-23-06, 04:14 AM
http://www.kobemaui.com/images/Okusmenu2.gif

You pay juss rike ereebody else. :gomer:

Holy ****! That is funny you clever bastard!

If a merger happens, the new series HAS to use Champ car cassis and engines. I couldn't watch crapwagons - the ugliest ****ing cars ever put on a race track.

nrc
02-23-06, 11:41 PM
Interestingly a blurb on paddock talk says that Autosport has reported that the source for the Autoweek story is a fax leaked from the IRL.

Gomerbilly
02-24-06, 05:44 AM
Interestingly a blurb on paddock talk says that Autosport has reported that the source for the Autoweek story is a fax leaked from the IRL.

They have indeed. Autosport gets it's **** right. If they report it, it's true.

Spicoli
02-24-06, 10:05 AM
We hear sumpin taday? :confused:

jonovision_man
02-24-06, 10:08 AM
Tony says more or less the same thing as Kevin:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060224/SPORTS01/602240488

Tony George wants the hubbub following news of his recent meetings with Champ Car World Series co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven to subside.

"It was a one-day story," the Indy Racing League's founder said Thursday. "I don't expect anything extraordinary to come of it."

George said he and Kalkhoven are not close to striking a deal to merge the two open-wheel series, as both sides have business commitments to honor.
"(The IRL) just signed a four-year agreement with Honda, and we've got a four-year agreement with our broadcast partner," George said. "We're looking into entering long-term agreements with our (event) promoters so all the teams, sponsors and constituents can have an idea where we're going."
Asked if a deal with Champ Car was still possible for the 2007 season, George paused before answering.

"I have no idea where to go with that (answer) because we're not really trying to make something happen," he said. "So I don't know if it's possible for 2007 or not."

On a personal level, Kalkhoven tried to convince George to return to skiing after years of snowboarding.

"We're two guys who have the best intentions of open-wheel racing at heart," said Kalkhoven, who had been in George's company only twice prior to a dinner in Paris in December. "We've met, talked, skied a little and drank wine, but so far that's about it."

They can't even agree on skiing vs. snowboarding! :D

jono

racer2c
02-24-06, 10:52 AM
"I have no idea where to go with that (answer) because we're not really trying to make something happen," he said. "So I don't know if it's possible for 2007 or not."

My god he has a way with words! :gomer:

NismoZ
02-25-06, 02:47 PM
I didn't hear it but on ESPN Radio yesterday Dr. Jerry said it will get done for '07 and he sounded quite certain. I hear the word "merger" being used more often than "unification." Would anyone like to explain the difference and which might be more likely to occur if anything?

nrc
02-25-06, 03:36 PM
I didn't hear it but on ESPN Radio yesterday Dr. Jerry said it will get done for '07 and he sounded quite certain. I hear the word "merger" being used more often than "unification." Would anyone like to explain the difference and which might be more likely to occur if anything?

It's mostly semantics, but it could be an important part of getting the deal done when pride is involved. "Unification" is a more political, historical term. By it's nature it has more emotional baggage. A "merger" is just a business term.

In business a merger usually implies a merger of equals (unless you're Chrysler corporation) so it takes some of the winner/loser embarrassment out of the whole process. There often is a winner and loser, but a "merger" makes it easier to swallow.

If there is a merger the winner/loser aspect of it will be heavily played down in favor of "what's right for open wheel racing."

FTG
02-25-06, 04:58 PM

Just can't forget about those sacred bricks, can you?