PDA

View Full Version : The Superbowl should be called the Daytona 500 of Football.

Stu
02-19-06, 08:20 PM
Leaving the on field/track stuff aside, Neckar upped the NFL in so many ways this weekend.

1. National Anthem. Hot singer with talent > washed up singers. Plus I must say I marked out for this:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a118/icemanstuewe/Ch3-1_SunFeb192006_012902PM04.jpg

2. Musical entertainment. Rock and Roll superstar that people still love to see > Rock and Roll superstars that are 80 years old and cant sing and dance at the same time.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a118/icemanstuewe/Ch3-1_SunFeb192006_012902PM03.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a118/icemanstuewe/Ch3-1_SunFeb192006_012902PM02.jpg

3. Poor officiating. NASCAR had way fewer questionable calls than the refs did in Detroit.

4. Better commercials. I laughed out loud a lot more during commercials today than Superbowl commercials.

Oh and this was sweet:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a118/icemanstuewe/Ch3-1_SunFeb192006_012902PM.jpg

rabbit
02-19-06, 09:30 PM
Bon Jovi :gomer: and people cheering for wrecks. :thumdown:

Two reasons I can't stand NASCAR.

Dr. Corkski
02-19-06, 09:38 PM
Since when did Fergie have any talent? :gomer:

And Bon Jovi? I guess Ank isn't the only guido in Texas. :laugh:

Andrew Longman
02-19-06, 09:46 PM
Just for the record. I live here and I've never met anyone from Jersey that can stand Bon Jovi. Southside Johnny? Sanatra? Blues Traveler? Springsteen? Mary Chapin Carpenter? Mathew Sweet? Heck, even Frankie Valle and the Commadors. Those are a different matter. Besides, did I miss something? Wasn't Bon Jovi like so over about 20 years ago. Maybe I need to get out more :gomer:

Still Bon Jovi did better than Brian Wilson last year to open the 500. He was, um heavily medicated... for most of his adult life. And last year I don't think there was a person there who knew who Five for Fighting was. Last year NASCAR did a very lame attempt at imitating lame Super Bowl entertainment. They were a bit better this year.

Andrew Longman
02-19-06, 09:50 PM
I guess Ank isn't the only guido in Texas. :laugh:

Ank, you Goomba? My Mom's a Fopeano from Hoboken! You wind up in Texas in some Gambino crime family witness protection program? Oops, don't answer that. :D

rosawendel
02-19-06, 09:55 PM
smithereens.

Accipiter
02-19-06, 10:44 PM
Dude. Nobody ever liked to see Bon Jovi. Nobody who counts, anyway. At least the Stones used to be good.

racer2c
02-19-06, 11:26 PM
Yeah, sorry Stu, but it's B rate talent and a B rate maniplulated product being marketed as A league.

And NASCAR's rip off of the NFL films is a sham. NASCAR uses the same look and feel with the same style narrative but instead of classic events in their history, they go ahead and do one for every race and play it on Speed the following weekend. Nothing deserves this: :gomer: more than that.

NASCAR = they try to hard to be the NFL. :thumdown:

Night Train
02-19-06, 11:44 PM
NFL>>>>>>>(continue for 10 pages)>>>>>NASCAR

NASCAR's greatest Daytona 500 * 6.02x10^23 = the worst Super Bowl.

I lack other terms to quantify this.....

Sean O'Gorman
02-19-06, 11:48 PM
1) The American flag thing in the stands was nothing but a plot to sell Gillette razors. :rolleyes:

2) Rolling Stones at their worst > Bon Jovi at its best

3) I thought the newly unveiled commercials were disappointing compared to years past

4) Kenseth's crash could've been so horrific that my respect for Stewart has gone down tremendously.

Ed_Severson
02-19-06, 11:48 PM
NASCAR = they try to hard to be the NFL. :thumdown:

If you were NASCAR, wouldn't you try as hard as you could to look like somebody else? :p

Ankf00
02-20-06, 12:03 AM
Ank, you Goomba?

maaaaaaaaaaaan, f that. :p

Just b/c I'm a gmen fan doesn't mean I'm a fairweather douche like cork.

You can call me that after I move 2000 miles away and act like a fanatic supporter of the new local team ;) :gomer:

Stu
02-20-06, 12:28 AM
4) Kenseth's crash could've been so horrific that my respect for Stewart has gone down tremendously.

My posting of the picture was more of a testament to the driving ability of everyone to avoid the crash, not to what caused it. 6-7 cars avoided hitting Matt head on. Thats not something you see everyday.

And I guess I was with a different crowd today than a lot of you guys. Cuz I was up at a bar, with a bunch of people who were making fun of NASCAR when it started.

Then all started noticing, damn, this concert is better than that crappy half time show. Damn, this chick doing the national anthem can actually sing. Whoa, that American Flag in the stands is pretty sweet. Fly by - kick ass.

All these things, non-NASCAR and casual race fans were really impressed by. Part of the whole promotion that NASCAR does to keep its fans happy.

While I don't particularly like Bon Jovi, seeing a guy go out there and sing and walk around without having difficulty was refreshing. The Rolling Stones were an embarassment to their music out there. While Jovi's music apparently doesnt appeal to the type of person on this site, there are a hell of a lot of people out there that would disagree.

Oh and if you thought the commercials were bad compared to last year, thats great, but I was comparing them to the Superbowl this year, and there were a lot more LOL moments for me and guys up at the bar that I noticed than during the Superbowl.

nrc
02-20-06, 12:51 AM
Rumor has it that Bon Jovi left directly from Daytona to head to Rio de Janeiro where they'll perform for dozens of people who are still cleaning up after the million people who showed up to see the Stones.

I was surprised to see that Bon Jovi is booking arena shows. I figured a one album wonder like them would need a double bill with another '80s hairband to book an arena.

Anyway, the big problem with Daytona is that it's hard to get a good parking space and it's a long walk if you don't take the shuttle.

chop456
02-20-06, 03:37 AM
Dude. Nobody ever liked to see Bon Jovi. Nobody who counts, anyway. At least the Stones used to be good.

:laugh: :thumbup:

Stu
02-20-06, 07:30 AM
Anyway, the big problem with Daytona is that it's hard to get a good parking space and it's a long walk if you don't take the shuttle.

Just like those old people I saw complaining at Burke.

gjc2
02-20-06, 08:32 AM
I don't follow any sport other than motorsports, I've never seen an entire football game, so any football reference turns me off.

George

TKGAngel
02-20-06, 09:34 AM
3) I thought the newly unveiled commercials were disappointing compared to years past

Give them time. The commercials will improve. I thought the Coke commercial with the family of drivers competing to drink the coke in the unlikely places was funny, as was the Tony/Zippy Home Depot commercial.

Stu
02-20-06, 10:35 AM
Mark Martin doing backflips? :rofl:

TKGAngel
02-20-06, 10:39 AM
Mark Martin doing backflips? :rofl:

Or Newman shaving his car number into the other drivers' heads?

formulaben
02-20-06, 11:55 PM

Ponder this: Matt Kenseth takes a head-on shot from another car and dies in the accident...I wonder how Tony Stewart's move would have been justified? What little respect for Stewart I had is long gone...he needs his a55 kicked in a major way. :flame:

Winston Wolfe
02-21-06, 12:17 AM
Ponder this: Matt Kenseth takes a head-on shot from another car and dies in the accident...I wonder how Tony Stewart's move would have been justified? What little respect for Stewart I had is long gone...he needs his a55 kicked in a major way. :flame:

I agree totally. My opinon of Tony Stewart just reduced to zERO after that incident on Sunday. Easily could have created the "Big One" and I think it was more luck, than any testament to the drivers ability to avoid that potentially huge, and damaging wreck...

Remember when Robby Gordon went after Stewart, or Stewart went after Robby in the garage one race ??? Robby went after Stewart, and 3-4 of Stewarts "boys" grabbed Robby while Stewart slapped him in the back, and pushed at him....

These guys are so full of themselves it is most un-impressive... :thumdown: