PDA

View Full Version : As usual, David Phillips brings reason to the discussion

rabbit
02-18-06, 09:16 AM
http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/22106/

Ahhhhhh, 2007. It is when the Champ Car World Series as we have come to know it these past five or six years will change. Banished to the show car circuits and museums will be the faithful Lola B2K/00. In its stead will come a fleet of Panoz DP01s; as in brand-spanking new, undeveloped, Panoz DP01s.

And that’s the crux of the matter in the eyes of Legge, Kalkhoven and company. A fundamental tenet of any scientific endeavor – and racing, of course, likes to consider itself a science – is that you never introduce more than one variable or unknown quantity into an equation at a time, the better to understand the effects of that variable or unknown. Better to add one turn of wing, for example, do a few laps and assess its effect on performance than adding a turn of wing, a few of clicks of rebound, stiffer springs and lower tire pressures and then try to figure out why the car is better or worse than before.

In Legge’s case, she has an opportunity to learn the Champ Car ropes with a decidedly known quantity – the Lola B2K/00 – in the coming season. Were she to spend another in Formula Atlantic, whatever she gained experience-wise could well be offset by the fact that she would make her Champ Car debut in a year when everyone – most especially the race teams’ mechanics and engineers – were starting from square one with the DP01. And mixing two steep learning curves together is to be avoided.

“When it comes to the ’07 car, we’ve got an advantage that all of the teams have the same car on the same date,” says Kalkhoven. “But there will also be a steep learning curve in engineering. And we decided the best thing to do is to use (’06) as a transition year with the known quantity of the car and give Katherine a chance to understand the aspects of racing without having to worry too much about the engineering off the car.”

KLang
02-18-06, 10:25 AM
I've been in the 'one more year in Atlantics' camp but this explaination does make a lot of sense.

Andrew Longman
02-18-06, 10:53 AM
I've been in the 'one more year in Atlantics' camp but this explaination does make a lot of sense.

Sure does. And I like it a lot more than a "we got a girl driver too" reason.

fourrunner
02-18-06, 12:31 PM
I don't know if the Press is going to go "Crazy" with the "Katherine vs Danica" Story Line ... But they probably will .. to guess a "Level of Intensity" is harder to Fathom

But the 2007 Formula Debut should Dominate the "PR" the Begining of the 2007 Season , Not some fabricated "Cat Fight" !!

This had to Play in the Mix also !!

We shouldn't underestimate Kevin, Jerry, and Paul & Johnson, on there ability to reason this stuff out !

Winston Wolfe
02-18-06, 01:48 PM
I appreciate Phillips's comments.... seems to make pretty good sense, and gives a little more credibility to the decision... is it still the right one ? dunno.

But I have alot more faith in KK and the fellas running CC than I do in the opinions of alot of us faithful champ car fans posting here. We all want the best, fastest, youngest race car driver available, regardless of whether he brings fans or money, or investors. We've seen too much of that lately in these "transition years" since Toyota and Honda left, along w\ the "big" teams and baggage... Perspective from the article, and a fresh "spin" on the decision for Legge. '06 should be the final year of the "transition years".

I just hope for her sake, she doesnt spend the season lagging behind, getting lapped, and becoming the female version of "King Hiro.... maybe with some attrition in a race or two, she may score a Top 10.... or as someone else pointed out, it may be a GREAT CALL to get her into an "off" pit strategy early at LB, and give her a chance to lead a few laps under caution, or shortly after a caution... might make some headlines, and start the comparisons *early*....

Dr. Corkski
02-18-06, 02:54 PM
You can apply this to Charles Zwolsman, Ryan Briscoe, Franck Montagny, Ryan Dalziel, etc, but I suspect those guys bring far too much baggage to ever be considered legitimate top level racing drivers.

Suggesting that PKV sacrifice one of her races for nothing other than a Danicle style publicity whoring = :gomer:

rabbit
02-18-06, 03:32 PM
You can apply this to Charles Zwolsman, Ryan Briscoe, Franck Montagny, Ryan Dalziel, etc, but I suspect those guys bring far too much baggage to ever be considered legitimate top level racing drivers.
You forget one key fact though, Legge was already working for KK. Wouldn't you be pissed if your boss hired someone from outside the company to give a promotion you were trying to get?

Dr. Corkski
02-18-06, 06:00 PM
You forget one key fact though, Legge was already working for KK. Wouldn't you be pissed if your boss hired someone from outside the company to give a promotion you were trying to get?Feel free to ask Ryan Dalziel.

NismoZ
02-18-06, 10:16 PM
So much for the ol' handshake.

Easy
02-20-06, 11:07 AM
What about the names on the contract?

rabbit
02-20-06, 11:09 AM
Feel free to ask Ryan Dalziel.
Point taken.

cart7
02-20-06, 02:34 PM

I'm the same as you. You're right, it does make sense.