PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Wallace to test IRL car

trish
02-18-06, 08:01 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060217/sp_usatoday/wallacetakesnewcommentatorrolefullthrottle

He apparently feels it will help him with the broadcast. Oh, and he wants to help bring some of the NASCAR fans over to the IRL.

nissan gtp
02-18-06, 09:03 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060217/sp_usatoday/wallacetakesnewcommentatorrolefullthrottle

He apparently feels it will help him with the broadcast. Oh, and he wants to help bring some of the NASCAR fans over to the IRL.

well, he is a pilot, so he's qualified

Spicoli
02-18-06, 09:04 AM
FTG's check musta cleared. :shakehead

Accipiter
02-18-06, 11:52 AM
ABC/ESPN are just giving him a no risk warm-up before he moves into the big leagues of race coverage when they get NASCAR back. This way he can learn and make his mistakes in privacy before having to go before an audiance.

racer2c
02-18-06, 12:28 PM
"I can help bring some of the NASCAR fan base to the IRL and bring some rock, dyed-in-the-wool IRL guys that hate stock cars to stock car racing, too," he says. " I can tell them about a lot of cool things."

:gomer:

fourrunner
02-18-06, 12:40 PM
Has there ever been a Racing Announcer in a Wheel Chair ?

of course

other than the former IRL Drivers doing a "one off" appearance in the booth !!:eek:

rabbit
02-18-06, 12:51 PM
Has there ever been a Racing Announcer in a Wheel Chair ?
Brad Doty, WoO on OLN.

cart7
02-18-06, 12:54 PM
I believe it was just a couple years ago that Rusty said something to the effect that you "couldn't get him out of the electric chair to strap into an irl car".

fourrunner
02-18-06, 12:58 PM
Brad Doty, WoO on OLN.

I remember that ...

I doubt Rusty would be as "Heroic" !!

pchall
02-18-06, 01:30 PM
I believe it was just a couple years ago that Rusty said something to the effect that you "couldn't get him out of the electric chair to strap into an irl car".

Yes, it was.

Fio1
02-18-06, 04:02 PM
Those things have a lot of down force. And besides, I doubt he'll go 10-10th anyways, so what is the big deal? :rolleyes:

Rusty is a good driver, he'll do a decent job and won't have a problem. :thumbup:

pchall
02-19-06, 12:02 PM
Rusty is a good driver, he'll do a decent job and won't have a problem. :thumbup:

Yes, but there is always the concern that Tony George might write a big check and get him into one of those sleds for the 500.

Fio1
02-19-06, 01:41 PM
Yes, but there is always the concern that Tony George might write a big check and get him into one of those sleds for the 500.

No. :rolleyes: Come on man, how old is he? He walks away fron nascar after 25 years in one piece after making more money then 99% of all the race car drivers ever. He won't be stupid enough to even try and practice during the Indy 500 practice..... :shakehead

nrc
02-19-06, 02:21 PM
No. :rolleyes: Come on man, how old is he? He walks away fron nascar after 25 years in one piece after making more money then 99% of all the race car drivers ever. He won't be stupid enough to even try and practice during the Indy 500 practice..... :shakehead

True. But don't be surprised if there is a big show of him thinking about getting into a car during Field Filling for the IRL 500.

Winston Wolfe
02-19-06, 02:39 PM
NFW.
Rusty will need alot more than one of FTG's checks to do that...

nrc
02-19-06, 02:58 PM
I'm not saying that he would actually consider running. I'm saying that he might be willing to go along with a charade of considering it ala Tony Stewart a while back.

Fio1
02-19-06, 04:24 PM
The thing you have to remember about Gordon, Stewart & Andretti doing the double is that these guys raced indy cars before they raced nascar, so they were going back to indy cars. Unlike the Rusty scenario you guys are talking about. But back in days Bobby & Donnie Allison did do Indy eventhough they were stock car drivers.....
I think there is better chance of a young guy like Truex, or Busch or Johnson doing Indy rather then a retired guy like Rusty.

SteveH
02-19-06, 05:22 PM
I suppose if he has to spend all season in the booth watching IRL races, taking a few laps in one probably looks like an easy way out. He could end up as a gomer legend before the first green flag waves.

formulaben
02-20-06, 05:15 AM
Here's to hoping he tries out the electric chair first...

Steve99
02-22-06, 12:59 PM
I'm not saying that he would actually consider running. I'm saying that he might be willing to go along with a charade of considering it ala Tony Stewart a while back.
All Rusty will need to do is walk around carrying his helmet on fill day. Instant bump in ratings (from 10 people to 100).

trauma1
02-22-06, 01:11 PM
just a $175 bucks, i'll chip in $5 for ole rusty , he's going to need it

http://www.galls.com/jpegs/23283.jpg