PDA

View Full Version : Houston 1836

Ankf00
02-18-06, 02:30 AM
Most of you from back in the day know where my politics lie...

However, I am ****ing livid. ****ing doucherockets are going to tell me I can't be proud to be:

a) Texan
b) Houstonian

glance over this article: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3660390.html

**** that. If "1836" is such an offensive year, why the **** do they live in a city named after the conquering general?

SANTA ANNA WAS A MURDEROUS ****. HE BURNT ENTIRE VILLAGES OF NATIVE MEXICANS.

but no, this is the evil white man grabbing half of mexico's land :rolleyes: I can't believe the douche who said that is an actual professor at U of H...

1. this pisses me off b/c it's the "stupid peoples," and god do I hate the "stupid peoples".

2. this pisses me off b/c the next time a REAL ****ing issue worth a damn arises in this context,, everyone will ignore it b/c of our worthless politicians making such a big deal out of something so worthless this time.

Texas was 5:1 anglo when Mexico declared independence, btw, I don't see brits getting into a tizzy about the 4th of July or the Philly 76'ers. I see no one getting into a tizzy about the 49'ers and the war against the mexican govt there back in that day. Mexicans fought alongside Anglos vs. Santa Anna... Mexicans were murdered alongside Anglos in Tejas back in 1835. Mexicans owned land and had rights alongside Anglos. JUAN F'ING SEGUIN!!!

If the team was named the "Houston Juan Seguins" they would find a way to protest. I'm 100% convinced politicians are pissed b/c the team name wasn't spanish.

Chivas USA can say "we will only hire hispanic players" but Houston's MLS team can't name itself after the year of Houston's founding.

WHAT THE ****?!?!

I see no Spaniards getting into a tizzy about the celebration of 16th de septiembres...

Yet the politicians are going to tell me I'm supposed to be ashamed of the year 1836? I'm supposed to be ashamed of Texan indpenedence against a trecherous despot? F that.... Ignorant mfr's...

Univision threatened a blackout, hispanic politicians have been lobbying... over what? the year of this state's independence vs. a murderous despot? the battlefield of San Jacinto has a goddamn monolith in east houston which I see no one protesting, the battlefield site where we won independence.

read: http://blogs.chron.com/soccer/archives/2006/02/plot_thickens_f.html

95% of the opinions are of outrage that the name is being changed b/c of ignorant tools

my buddies and I are forming a new supporters group "Sam Houston's Army" we will be wearing Houston 1836 schwag they've been selling....

and we WILL have the flag from the Battle of Gonzales...

http://www.texasflag.us/texas_downloads/Old-Come-and-Take-It.gif

I will be obnoxious as all hell and never fail to rub it in once I buy my season tickets. viva 1836. viva General Sam Houston. viva Texian Army.

"mexico lost half their land, it's such a bad thing, it was stolen" <---HOW THE HELL ARE YOU A HISTORY PROFESSOR!?!!? oh right, U of Houston sucks utter balls, that's how... :rolleyes:

nrc
02-18-06, 04:16 AM
I don't know how to break this to you, Ank. But it's a pretty stupid name for a sports team to begin with.

Still, you would think Houston's latino population would be happy to honor Sam Houston. If it weren't for him they might be stuck trying to sneak into Louisiana.

Ankf00
02-18-06, 04:25 AM
it's actually a quite traditional football team name... :gomer: and honestly, your hockey is named the blue jackets... lets compare, traditional houston 1836 vs. dallas burn, real salt lake, cbs blue jackets, nashivle preds, etc etc etc....

1836 actually has worthiness vs. douchebag modern team names.

I am still waiting for them to boycott the Texans, however.

rabbit
02-18-06, 08:52 AM
it's actually a quite traditional football team name... :gomer: and honestly, your hockey is named the blue jackets... lets compare, traditional houston 1836 vs. dallas burn, real salt lake, cbs blue jackets, nashivle preds, etc etc etc....

1836 actually has worthiness vs. douchebag modern team names.
I agree with your first post.

That said, do you know where the "Blue Jackets" name comes from? Well I'll tell you... During the Civil War, most of the Union Army uniforms were made in Columbus. So it has a very significant historical context. That said, I don't know why they picked a bee for a mascot. I guess because they were afraid a Union General on horseback would have ****ed off all the Southerners.

Andrew Longman
02-18-06, 11:04 AM
During the Civil War, most of the Union Army uniforms were made in Columbus.

I didn't know that. Thanks. :)

Ankf00
02-18-06, 11:19 AM
I agree with your first post.

That said, do you know where the "Blue Jackets" name comes from? Well I'll tell you... During the Civil War, most of the Union Army uniforms were made in Columbus. So it has a very significant historical context. That said, I don't know why they picked a bee for a mascot. I guess because they were afraid a Union General on horseback would have ****ed off all the Southerners.

I take that back then, that's an awesome name :)

Sean O'Gorman
02-18-06, 01:40 PM
cliffnotes plz

Opposite Lock
02-18-06, 01:47 PM
A person close to the situation said "Lonestar" or "Lone Star" looks to be the team's next name. Choices such as Apollos or Mustangs also are being considered, the person said.

It appears they completely overlooked the obvious "Corny Dogs".