PDA

View Full Version : Scott Speed Article

tllips
02-17-06, 10:43 AM
I’m self-centered, I’m arrogant and very competitive (http://speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/22120/)

Scott Speed is the US version of The Chin? Even if he is successful in F1, is that going to put the right image to bring F1 to the masses in the US?

I think they need someone with a "charming" personality to get the general public following F1. It will be tough to sell a guy that comes off as a jerk.

rabbit
02-17-06, 11:15 AM
I think the last couple grafs sum it up for me.
Scott Speed in F1 will be fascinating. He’ll rub American F1 fans and the F1 establishment the wrong way. On paper, in the wake of Indygate, the great U.S. hope should be an Ivy League jock with a deft ability for road racing and a willingness to PR the sport in the Land of the Free. He should, in other words, be an American David Coulthard.

But he ain’t. And I’m glad. Scott Speed is his own man. And by the end of our encounter, I even quite like the guy. At least he’s got grit and personality.If you think a brash, arrogant driver can't sell in America, take a look at all the Home Depot window stickers in the back of pickup trucks all over the fruited plain. He certainly isn't the first driver in history with a big ego. More power to him. :thumbup:

racer2c
02-17-06, 12:28 PM
"Our first meeting, in the GP2 paddock in Bahrain the day before our scheduled interview, appears to confirm the rumors. We’re introduced, but Scott – gangly, spotty, wearing an ill-fitting oversized Red Bull basketball top, Red Bull shorts and D&G flip-flops – isn’t interested. He barely grunts an acknowledgement, taking out one of his white iPod earphones and offering a floppy hand, before skulking off, neck poking forward-and-down, a model of bad posture."

That describes 90% of all 22 year old Americans. Arrogance or just zero manners. I think the latter.

TrueBrit
02-17-06, 12:58 PM
That describes 90% of all 22 year old Americans. Arrogance or just zero manners. I think the latter.

I agree...

The younger crowd just do not seem to know how to handle themselves..

God I must be getting old.... :eek:

Gangrel
02-17-06, 02:27 PM
I agree...

The younger crowd just do not seem to know how to handle themselves..

God I must be getting old.... :eek:

....and American? :D

TrueBrit
02-17-06, 05:55 PM
....and American? :D

Nope...been here 24 years though...

Sean O'Gorman
02-17-06, 07:41 PM

Hi.

Beevis
02-18-06, 01:35 AM
That describes 90% of all 22 year old Americans. Arrogance or just zero manners. I think the latter.You've never met Scott

Fio1
02-18-06, 05:25 AM
I’m self-centered, I’m arrogant and very competitive (http://speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/22120/)

Scott Speed is the US version of The Chin? Even if he is successful in F1, is that going to put the right image to bring F1 to the masses in the US?

I think they need someone with a "charming" personality to get the general public following F1. It will be tough to sell a guy that comes off as a jerk.

Scott Speed is a really nice guy. If you met him you will know that. He is good people, from a good family. He is not an arrogant jerk, he is at his job at the track. This is what he does and he takes it VERY serious, so he may come accross as a d****, but I can assure you that he is not. When he is racing he is 100% focused on the job. He is all business. He is the complete oposite of Kenny Wallace for example; who likes to tell jokes and tell stories and show-off for the fans. This is not what Speed is about, he is about getting the job done and that's it when he is at the track. This is why I think a guy like Helmut Marko likes him so much. Speed's is a very Austrian-German mentality and I can see why a champion like Marko has taken Speed under his wing.

Scott Speed is a guy who can give a s**** about the bull s**** outside of the car and just wants to drive and do well. This is why he is in F1. A lot of Americans I've met are too concerned about other things. Scott doesn't care, he just wants to race. He can care less about the food, the weather, if his girl friend is here, his sun glasses, the rental car any of that B.S. He has the right mantality to race F1, some thing I have not seen in any other American driver other then RHR and Elton Julian in the past 15 years!

Lizzerd
02-18-06, 05:36 AM
Scott Speed is a really nice guy. If you met him you will know that. He is good people, from a good family. He is not an arrogant jerk, he is at his job at the track. This is what he does and he takes it VERY serious, so he may come accross as a d****, but I can assure you that he is not. When he is racing he is 100% focused on the job. He is all business. He is the complete oposite of Kenny Wallace for example; who likes to tell jokes and tell stories and show-off for the fans. This is not what Speed is about, he is about getting the job done and that's it when he is at the track. This is why I think a guy like Helmut Marko likes him so much. Speed's is a very Austrian-German mentality and I can see why a champion like Marko has taken Speed under his wing.

Scott Speed is a guy who can give a s**** about the bull s**** outside of the car and just wants to drive and do well. This is why he is in F1. A lot of Americans I've met are too concerned about other things. Scott doesn't care, he just wants to race. He can care less about the food, the weather, if his girl friend is here, his sun glasses, the rental car any of that B.S. He has the right mantality to race F1, some thing I have not seen in any other American driver other then RHR and Elton Julian in the past 15 years!

You may know him, but did you read the article?

“I think that, fundamentally, I’m self-centered, I’m arrogant and very competitive, and those three things make it quite difficult to deal with me off the track”