PDA

View Full Version : say what?

Ankf00
02-15-06, 11:44 PM
naaaaaaawwwww, holmes... dropping the n bomb gets you fired.

http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49

you will laugh.

Stu
02-16-06, 08:38 AM
Hey theres a story about a guy calling a kid a N*****, lets make sure we use a black woman as the reporter. :rolleyes: I hate the evening news.

HAHA this guys an idiot too.

"I put the H on it to emphasize..." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

spinner26
02-16-06, 10:37 AM
N iggah plaeeeeeeeeez! What a better way to over blow a story. Make it black on black and it's okay. WHY???????????

Okay, I suppose since it was a teacher and he is in a public school, he should sit down and shut up and let the kids rule the roost. I love public education. NOT!

CART T. Katz
02-16-06, 11:07 AM
here's my take on this (since i'm local)

when i first heard about this, i was upset. not because a white guy used the word towards a black guy, but the word was even uttered at all. there is no place in this society to use that word and by black people continuing to use that word, all it does is give "white america" enough of a reason to use it back. don't want white people dropping n-bombs on you? don't use the word yourself.

then i heard the context the word was used in, and then i wasn't as upset. the teacher called the student what the student called the teacher first. turnabout and stuff like that. should the teacher have been suspended? maybe. fired? no. and any of the so-called african american community leaders should be more upset at these parents of these black kids for perpetrating the use of this word and not reigning it in immediately instead of at this teacher.

to show how screwed up things are here, these same people are upset that the mayor and the chief of police are shutting down derby cruising in the predominantly black west end. cruising where local traffic is shut down. and rapes take place. and drug dealing. and shooting (two people were killed last year). but now, the young african americans in the community won't have anything to do during derby! :shakehead

bunch of hyppocrites the whole lot of them. if there were a black gomer, i'd use it. but then i would be labled "racist". :thumdown:

spinner26
02-16-06, 11:20 AM
here's my take on this (since i'm local)

when i first heard about this, i was upset. not because a white guy used the word towards a black guy, but the word was even uttered at all. there is no place in this society to use that word and by black people continuing to use that word, all it does is give "white america" enough of a reason to use it back. don't want white people dropping n-bombs on you? don't use the word yourself.

then i heard the context the word was used in, and then i wasn't as upset. the teacher called the student what the student called the teacher first. turnabout and stuff like that. should the teacher have been suspended? maybe. fired? no. and any of the so-called african american community leaders should be more upset at these parents of these black kids for perpetrating the use of this word and not reigning it in immediately instead of at this teacher.

to show how screwed up things are here, these same people are upset that the mayor and the chief of police are shutting down derby cruising in the predominantly black west end. cruising where local traffic is shut down. and rapes take place. and drug dealing. and shooting (two people were killed last year). but now, the young african americans in the community won't have anything to do during derby! :shakehead

bunch of hyppocrites the whole lot of them. if there were a black gomer, i'd use it. but then i would be labled "racist". :thumdown:

I'll be sure to get Louis Coleman and Christopher 2X on the case, I'm sure they are well versed in this area. :rolleyes:

eiregosod
02-16-06, 01:19 PM
I dont believe the teacher when he says "KeySean said Niggah first"

The teacher shouldnt use that word at all

CART T. Katz
02-16-06, 02:34 PM
I'll be sure to get Louis Coleman and Christopher 2X on the case, I'm sure they are well versed in this area. :rolleyes:

it would be funny as hell if they did because they would be promoting black on black crime.

erase the hate! :gomer:

I dont believe the teacher when he says "KeySean said Niggah first"

The teacher shouldnt use that word at all

i'm not real sure where you're from, so i'll give you a layout of that part of town.

the black kids in that area of town and who go to school there use the n-word indiscriminantly and liberally, the ones who use it. the story of keysean saying it first sounds to me completely reasonable and likely.

unfortunately these kids don't have enough respect for themselves to stop using that word or the education to communicate with other members of society. i think that's just a problem overall of this society anyway.

Andrew Longman
02-16-06, 04:16 PM
Substitute the word "butthead" in the story. Kids call each other butthead all day long. Kid calls the teacher butthead. Teacher call kid butthead. Would that be acceptable? Would that foster an environment for learning? Of course not. The lack of respect, self respect, respect for others, decorum and manners is the real story here.

I don't don't want to come across as a puckered up wanker (I've been accused), but I've seen how much this stuff matters.

Ten years ago my kids' school was out of control. Its a small k-8 in a very economically/socially mixed community. Parents, not just kids would walk around the school yelling cursing at anything and anything they didn't like.
Out of 20 kids in the 8th grade that year only 4 would eventuallygraduate HS .

A new principle came in and one of the first things she did was put tablecloths and a flower on the cafateria tables. Each class would go get their food together and sit as a class. No one was allowed to start until everyone had their meal. It sound anal and crazy and many parents screamed at board meetings about it, but many of these kids knew no rules and manners at home. They knew no sense of order and in reality kids really need and crave the security that order brings.

In no time, the order of the cafeteria translated to order in the classroom. Other small changes to rein in the school were able to take hold. Graffiti and vandalism disappeared. Bullying nearly disappeared. Sure there was less change in the older kids than the younger because they were more set in their ways but within five years the school ranked in the top 4 out of more than 700 school districts (and thousands of elementary schools) in statewide testing and has stayed there since.

In the video, Keyshawn seems like a nice enough kid, but if he is in an environment where insults are thrown freely around then taping the door and calling a teacher a name will come too easily.

Stu
02-16-06, 08:53 PM
Substitute the word "butthead" in the story. Kids call each other butthead all day long. Kid calls the teacher butthead. Teacher call kid butthead. Would that be acceptable? Would that foster an environment for learning? Of course not. The lack of respect, self respect, respect for others, decorum and manners is the real story here.

Sure that would be acceptable. What ever happened to sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me? Grow up you puckered up wanker.http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/045.gif This stuff shouldnt matter. People need to toughen up their skin.

Now the teacher saying Niggah is different, its far from appropriate. But still. Its a word. Its a freaking word! Who cares? The story mentioned this kid is in the ROTC. He's gonna get whooped in the military if he is that emotionaly hurt from one simple word.

rabbit
02-16-06, 09:46 PM
Sure that would be acceptable. What ever happened to sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me? Grow up you puckered up wanker. This stuff shouldnt matter. People need to toughen up their skin.

Now the teacher saying Niggah is different, its far from appropriate. But still. Its a word. Its a freaking word! Who cares? The story mentioned this kid is in the ROTC. He's gonna get whooped in the military if he is that emotionaly hurt from one simple word.
:shakehead Pick up a history book and read it. Words mean things.

Stu
02-16-06, 09:50 PM
:shakehead Pick up a history book and read it. Words mean things.

Just cuz the word means something, doesnt mean it has to bother you to the point of demanding the man be fired and having a news story made about it, practically crying on TV that it hurt his feelings.

Andrew Longman
02-16-06, 09:57 PM
Sure that would be acceptable. What ever happened to sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me? Grow up you puckered up wanker. This stuff shouldnt matter. People need to toughen up their skin.

This struggling puckered wanker agrees and disagrees. (and I assume you forgot a smilely there. I'm just trying to have a conversation. Right?)

Its a word and it shouldn't matter. The PC police have blown past the rev limiter. Black's get to use the word because they are in a separate society but whites do not? Sorry but we are all (rich, poor, imigrant, native, white, black, brown) together abiding under the same laws, pay taxes to the same government, trying to come to some collective social agreement that keeps us from killing each other. That's a problem that has been around for thousands of years and has no final solution except to keep trying. But one thing is for certain: some of us don't get to make our own rules. When that happens, it never is pretty.

But having been a parent and on a school board I also know that growing the thick skin and sense of perspective is a process. Telling a six year old to deal with it is very different from telling a 12 year old and that's different from a 25 year old. What they should have to "deal" with is very different.

All I'm saying is a school has one purpose and it's to serve the kids. And what they need is a chance to grow up, find themselves, and become productive human beings that keep things in good enough shape that we don't get eaten in our old age.

There are a lot of very messed up schools and unfortunately fewer really good schools. But there are a lot of good educators doing their best to overcome society's ills to reach kids to give them the skills and confidence to blow off the stuff that doesn't matter and take on the things and greatness that does. What I'm saying is a house where people throw insult after insult at each other only teaches how to insult. Its not a place you would want to grow up and its not a place you would want to learn. There is a difference between a frat house and a kindergarten and while many a great American grew up above a bar or a brothel (Babe Ruth, et al) it is not a social policy many would reccomend.

BTW this English teacher IMO is not one of them. He's way out of his element.

And I can't judge for others my puckerness but for those that actually know me I am more old than fart with a wildly "lubricated" liberal past and future. I just also never disregard obvious truths, results and facts however unpopular it may be.

Stu
02-16-06, 10:23 PM
I didnt forget a smiley, but yea one could have been inserted there to better state what I was saying. :gomer:

Anyway, I think we agree on three things.

1. the kid needs to suck it up, it is a word, the guy was suspended, lets move on please.

2. the teacher is an idiot for saying the word, then trying to justify it, then trying to justify it using sheets of paper with the words written really really big on them to better prove his point.

3. schools let way too much crap slide by kids these days and some strictly enforced rules would be nice for a change, but then like you said earlier, parents would hate that.

Andrew Longman
02-16-06, 10:26 PM
I didnt forget a smiley, but yea one could have been inserted there to better state what I was saying. :gomer:

Anyway, I think we agree on three things.

1. the kid needs to suck it up, it is a word, the guy was suspended, lets move on please.

2. the teacher is an idiot for saying the word, then trying to justify it, then trying to justify it using sheets of paper with the words written really really big on them to better prove his point.

3. schools let way too much crap slide by kids these days and some strictly enforced rules would be nice for a change, but then like you said earlier, parents would hate that.

Fewer words than mine :thumbup: . Well said.