PDA

View Full Version : Legge's in

Pages : [1] 2

G.
02-13-06, 06:26 PM
sez Robin Miller

"Katherine Legge is poised to become the fourth female driver in Champ Car history but, unlike her predecessors, the 25-year-old Brit won't have to worry about equal equipment or support.

Legge will be introduced as one of the new drivers of Kevin Kalkhoven's PKV Racing team for 2006 Tuesday night in a press conference at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles as Champ Car also unveils its new Atlantic chassis."

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/champcar/auto/22050/

KLang
02-13-06, 06:35 PM
Even though I think it is too soon, good luck Katherine.

RichK
02-13-06, 06:36 PM
Her lap times at Sebring were within a second of Renault Formula One test pilot Franck Montagny and she was within a half second of Ryan Briscoe and Giorgio Pantano during her initial run, when she also tied Ryan Dalziel's best circuit.

So, if she were male, would she have gotten the seat?

0.5 sec over a 100 lap race = 50 seconds

devilmaster
02-13-06, 06:46 PM
I think she should get another year in Atlantics too.....

But good luck....

Winston Wolfe
02-13-06, 06:47 PM
Corky's gonna have a meltdown in 3,2,1......

rabbit
02-13-06, 06:50 PM
I too think that another year in Atlantics would be prudent. But that said, I think she has the talent, if not the experience, to compete at this level. I will be cheering for her. :thumbup:

cameraman
02-13-06, 06:50 PM
They are not doing her any favors by putting her in the car "in response to Danica Patrick". That is a bull**** reason to put her in the car even if she is good enough to deserve the ride. Now it does not matter how good or bad she does because the only reason she is in the car is to counter Patrick. You would think that these guys would be better marketers than that :roll:

Spicoli
02-13-06, 06:53 PM
Git Her Done! ;)

:rofl:

(sorry)

jonovision_man
02-13-06, 07:00 PM
It's great marketing... as long as she's good enough to not hurt herself, they can get inches of press from this, and the little rivalry is just what the press is looking for. There's already been stories on her vs. Danica when CCWS has been in town at various stops on the schedule, and she wasn't even in CCWS yet!

I can see being skeptical of her readiness, but look at the grid, there's been plenty of people with credentials worse than hers to sit in a cockpit in the last few years.

Just another storyline in what's shaping up to be a compelling season. :thumbup:

jono

skaven
02-13-06, 07:12 PM
Just another storyline in what's shaping up to be a compelling season. :thumbup:

jono

True that. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
02-13-06, 07:30 PM
I'd rather have seen here stay in Atlantics for another year but it's not my money. If JV thinks she's ready bring her on. They certainly tested her in enough different cars and situations to see the complete picture.

oc

Winston Wolfe
02-13-06, 07:37 PM
True that. :thumbup:

sure, but what is Jono gonna say at that pro-EARL site...

Legge may or may not be ready, but she's gonna be drivin', and we're gonna be watching....

As long as she keeps it off the walls, stays out of trouble, and makes it past T1 at LB, she will have done better than Danica did in Champ Cars !

The comparison wars will begin shortly thereafter.... just hope the CCWS gal does a better job than the poster child for the EARL.

Winston Wolfe
02-13-06, 07:40 PM
Just read the rest of the article over at SPEED...

Does that mean that Jeemy is hanging it up ????

What about DaMatta....

anyone, anyone ?

Spicoli
02-13-06, 07:42 PM
Just read the rest of the article over at SPEED...

Does that mean that Jeemy is hanging it up ????

What about DaMatta....

anyone, anyone ?

My GUESS is that they are both done.

more sure on Jeemy being doen, maybe a "last call" at LBGP?

Ziggy
02-13-06, 07:53 PM
Like the entire PVK operation, Im unimpressed........

wonder how ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, us taking it????????

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,kate is up to the challenge,,,,,,,,, as I spoke with her over steak tartar and gravy,,,,,,,she's a sucker for gravy,,,,I was forced to giggle like a little girl at the sight of her lip smacking hijinx,,,,,,, what a cutup,,,,,,what a find,,,,what a talent,,,,,,,, God sent her,,,,,and that's alright with Me,,,,, and it is up to all of us to give her our undying support,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for the good of the cause,,,,,,,,,,,,,, for if we are to survive,,,,,,,,,, it will take brain and guile,,,,,,,,,to which the Amigo's have in abundence,,,,,,,,,for I have looked with them into the maw of evil,,,,,, and good shall prevail over the darkness,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

peace,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

jonovision_man
02-13-06, 07:54 PM
sure, but what is Jono gonna say at that pro-EARL site...

Sigh... if we insist on turning this into the "what did jono say where" board... I didn't say much about Legge there, here's what I did say:

Legge wouldn't be much, but now she's the answer to Danica and any rivalry that comes out of it will once again be a story that can benefit both series and both women.

It's a good story, that's what the media loves. And the more they right, the better it is.

jono

mapguy
02-13-06, 08:07 PM
Ziggy... :rofl: :thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
02-13-06, 08:10 PM
Ziggy... :rofl: :thumbup:

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Spicoli
02-13-06, 08:10 PM

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,kate is up to the challenge,,,,,,,,, as I spoke with her over steak tartar and gravy,,,,,,,she's a sucker for gravy,,,,I was forced to giggle like a little girl at the sight of her lip smacking hijinx,,,,,,, what a cutup,,,,,,what a find,,,,what a talent,,,,,,,, God sent her,,,,,and that's alright with Me,,,,, and it is up to all of us to give her our undying support,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for the good of the cause,,,,,,,,,,,,,, for if we are to survive,,,,,,,,,, it will take brain and guile,,,,,,,,,to which the Amigo's have in abundence,,,,,,,,,for I have looked with them into the maw of evil,,,,,, and good shall prevail over the darkness,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

dang! Ziggy's on it tonught.

:feel the love:

RichK
02-13-06, 08:18 PM
Ziggy! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

racer2c
02-13-06, 08:29 PM
It will be interesting to see if the American media will embrace this Brit femme.

nissan gtp
02-13-06, 08:37 PM

perfect :rofl:

manic mechanic
02-13-06, 08:38 PM
Someone should send Raywhore a certified letter with an entry form for RA so that Katherine can lap the Danicle in equal cars...That would give the press something to chew on.

All things being even, I still think KL would be better served in Atlantics one more year.

manic

P.S. Gee Zig, tell us how you REALLY feel... :p

Dr. Corkski
02-13-06, 08:45 PM

peace,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumbup:

rabbit
02-13-06, 08:45 PM
Ziggy zing! :laugh:

Dirty Sanchez
02-13-06, 10:29 PM
there's been plenty of people with credentials worse than hers to sit in a cockpit in the last few years.like who?

redmist
02-14-06, 12:57 AM
like who?

marcus marshall ring a bell?

extramundane
02-14-06, 01:29 AM
like who?

http://www.clkdesign.com/images/portfolios/delmonte.gif

trauma1
02-14-06, 09:29 AM
any sperifico :rofl:

Dirty Sanchez
02-14-06, 10:06 AM
http://www.clkdesign.com/images/portfolios/delmonte.gifmultiple years of F3 and F3000 experience. Euro3000 runner-up in 2004 with multiple race wins. he has more seat time in more powerful open wheel cars. do I rate him highly? nope. but I also wouldn't say he has worse credentials that Katherine Legge just because I'd never heard of him before Long Beach last year.

jonovision_man
02-14-06, 10:07 AM
... and let's not forget that Legge won races in Atlantics, and if she ran it again this year would be a championship favourite for sure. That's gotta be good enough to at least be at the back of the Champ Car grid.

If you go strictly by previous results and talent, ok, she's not the top choice. But there have been (and will be) worse and her marketing value is undeniable.

jono

Dirty Sanchez
02-14-06, 10:13 AM
a championship favourite for sure.:saywhat:

the last atlantics field was the weakest in the history of the series. this year's will be among the strongest. I say prove it.

I wish Katherine well but I am already tired of the hype.

jonovision_man
02-14-06, 10:21 AM
:saywhat:

the last atlantics field was the weakest in the history of the series. this year's will be among the strongest. I say prove it.

You mean you want me to prove it, or her to prove it by doing another year in Atlantics? That's the only way to prove she'd be a championship contender... all I can point to is her wins in Atlantics last year.

jono

extramundane
02-14-06, 10:24 AM
multiple years of F3 and F3000 experience. Euro3000 runner-up in 2004 with multiple race wins. he has more seat time in more powerful open wheel cars. do I rate him highly? nope. but I also wouldn't say he has worse credentials that Katherine Legge just because I'd never heard of him before Long Beach last year.

Aw, c'mon man...can't you let me have my moment of baseless, fact-free driver bashing in peace?

Besides, it took all my willpower not to put a picture of Jerk Vile-enough up instead :gomer:

nrc
02-14-06, 10:27 AM
She could use another year in Atlantic, but it will be interesting to see how she does. They should get her out front at Long Beach on a fuel strategy. :)

racer2c
02-14-06, 10:37 AM
A move to Champ Cars this year could ruin her career. Another year in Atlantics could make it.

tllips
02-14-06, 10:44 AM
A move to Champ Cars this year could ruin her career. Another year in Atlantics could make it.

A year as a mid-packer in Atlantics could also stall it.

NismoZ
02-14-06, 10:49 AM
There are those who believe just the opposite. Get her into CC now where the competition will not be as strong. It is likely with PKV she could end up with a final position higher than she could achieve in Atlantics. Maybe it's another Atlantic season that could ruin her chances even though on the surface it looks like the right thing to do. (?)

Dr. Corkski
02-14-06, 10:51 AM
... and let's not forget that Legge won races in Atlantics, and if she ran it again this year would be a championship favourite for sure.If they really believed she was going to be a legit championship contender in Atlantic, they would have, you know, let her prove it on track. Except they knew in a real Atlantic field there would be far mroe than just 2 drivers that would hand her ass to her every race, so they figured they might as well jump on the Danica gravy train.

TrueBrit
02-14-06, 11:12 AM
Yet one more reason to watch the upcoming season!

Good luck Katherine!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Fio1
02-14-06, 11:37 AM

You have it backwards!

This is a smart move. With the Euro & F.Mazda heavy hitters hitting the Atlantic grid this year, Legge won't have as easy as she did last year and more then likely won't win any races. Therefore, another year of Atlantics would end all the hype. So, move her up to champcars and give her a year to learn with no preasure. :thumbup:

Dirty Sanchez
02-14-06, 11:54 AM
yeah... duck the competition. great strategy :gomer:

G.
02-14-06, 11:59 AM
That's the key, I think. Put her in the car and tell her not to crash. Learn. Be a backmarker until you can figure this stuff out. Didn't they tell Stoopid Mario that his first year?? Many laughs were had at Stoopid Mario. His second year, he could actually race!

Just keep the hype machine off of her.

racer2c
02-14-06, 12:16 PM
Is Danikle going to be the yardstick that Katherine will need to measure up to? If so, that means at least a fourth place finish and then no less than four broken tubs for the season. She can probably handle that, but to run around in the back of the pack while she gets her feet wet in a Champ Car seems counter productive to me. I would like to see her at least challenge for the Atlantics championship. If anything it would help to validate her talent.
I have a 'purist' attitude when it comes to Atlantics, or any ladder series for that matter, in that I feel that the privilege of progressing up into the big cars should be reserved for the champion and maybe the runner up. Sure that’s unrealistic but that is how I wish it would be.

I'm not going to turn into a Legge hater and I wish her well this year. But there is not mistaking why she is where she is.

G.
02-14-06, 12:24 PM
I'm not going to turn into a Legge hater and I wish her well this year. But there is not mistaking why she is where she is.True dat. Both points.

Not sure if it's "wrong" though.

Also, Ziggy rules. :laugh:

Dr. Corkski
02-14-06, 12:56 PM
Just keep the hype machine off of her.Why? Hype is the only reason she even got the ride over far more qualified drivers. At least the ride buyers are paying for the drive.

If the top Champ Car teams are going to start turning their operations into developmental rides, they might as well scrap the whole thing and just race Atlantics instead.

trauma1
02-14-06, 01:12 PM
she's pretty much proven she can drive, her F1 test and Cc test were impressive, she has the talent,a year in atlantic with 30 cars and maybe being mid pack or move up to CC and be midpack, she's damned if she does damned if she doesn't, if she was a guy would some hold her to the same arguemnet and standards, something to think about, it's not like shamica in a thing drapped across a hood of a car

TKGAngel
02-14-06, 01:13 PM

Ziggy, big :rofl: on this one. Bad enough my coworkers think I'm nuts for liking racing, but I now have to explain why I'm sitting here giggling in a quiet office.

mueber
02-14-06, 01:16 PM
Somehow I trust that the promotion of Legge will be much more tasteful than the promotion of Danicle. She is clearly smarter, more articulate and more fan friendly than Danicle, and she actually has succeeded in a race car. Promote the hell out of her, I say.

Dr. Corkski
02-14-06, 01:18 PM
If she is supposed to be good enough that anyone would think she is in Champ Car mostly on merit, then why does everyone think that she won't be good enough to be a championship contender in a lesser series this year?

tllips
02-14-06, 01:22 PM
yeah... duck the competition. great strategy :gomer:

From an image marketing spin perspective, it may be.

From a pure driver skill development perspective, it probably isn't.

I'm guessing this is the struggle that KK and the rest of PKV are/were weighing.

As she has shown talent and is certainly more personable than Danicle, they must feel that she can do more good for Champcar in PKV than in Atlantics. Hopefully, it won't be too detrimental to her driver skill development.

Dirty Sanchez
02-14-06, 01:32 PM
meh. you could make the case that she could have just as much of a marketing impact for atlantics in their break-out year as she will in crusty old champ car. too much, too soon. move her up to champ car in '07 and then make the push. if the new atlantics is a better platform for driver development, I don't see the downside in demonstrating that with Legge.

and lots of people are skeptical when there are much more talented drivers currently on the sidelines.

mueber
02-14-06, 01:32 PM
For me the merit argument is getting stale. Marco Ann-Whiney is not at Gomerville because of merit, Kyle Petty and lil' e are not at Daytona because of merit. If I need a heart surgeon, I want merit. For sports it doesn’t matter. Sports are about fans, press coverage, revenue, and Champ Car could use a whole lot more of all three. Good luck to Katherine.

rabbit
02-14-06, 01:34 PM
Why are people (i.e. Crapus and Cork) acting like she is taking the easy way out by going to Champ Cars instead of another year in Atlantics? Sure Atlantics are going to be tough, but Champ Cars certainly aren't going to be a walk in the park. The last time I checked, there were a lot of very competitive drivers in Champ Cars.

I look at it like the guys who leave college football/basketball early to go pro even thought they could probably use another year in college. Why risk an injury or a rough season that could ruin your career when you already have what it takes to compete at the top level? Not to mention the fact that Atlantics are running a new car this year.

To suggest that she is afraid of a little competition is ludicrous.

Easy
02-14-06, 01:37 PM
What was so impressive about her F1 test?

Throwing it off track in under 5 laps or keeping pace with an Italian F-Renault driver?

cameraman
02-14-06, 01:38 PM
Which is the better training experience for the 2007 Champ Car season,

racing against 26 rookie hot shoe Atlantics drivers

or racing against 18 mostly veteran CCWS drivers

She will get 4 more races and a whole lot more miles in running in CCWS and I think she will learn a whole lot more in a rookie year in a Champ Car than she would in another year in the Atlantics. I think Kalkhoven wants her around for more than the 2006 season.

Dirty Sanchez
02-14-06, 01:42 PM
given her current experience level? no question, racing against 26 hot shoe (not all rookies) Atlantics drivers.

TravelGal
02-14-06, 01:53 PM
given her current experience level? no question, racing against 26 hot shoe (not all rookies) Atlantics drivers.

And that would what......give her experience in Atlantics.....so the next year the "breakout 2007 year" for ChampCar, she would still be talked about as a driver that needs experience.

I'm with mueber.

Dirty Sanchez
02-14-06, 02:01 PM
that's retarded. give me a champ car ride now and I promise I'll be ready for 2010 :laugh:

you gotta feel bad for a guy like zwolsman. most of all, I'm disappointed in PKV as this is a clear indication that they are not in this thing to win.

RichK
02-14-06, 02:02 PM
Champ Car is supposed to be the big time. This "training ground" stuff sucks.

Spicoli
02-14-06, 02:03 PM
..... most of all, I'm disappointed in PKV as this is a clear indication that they are not in this thing to win.

Have the ever demonstrated anything else? re: Wuss Damatta?

:rofl:

jonovision_man
02-14-06, 02:03 PM
that's retarded. give me a champ car ride now and I promise I'll be ready for 2010 :laugh:

you gotta feel bad for a guy like zwolsman. most of all, I'm disappointed in PKV as this is a clear indication that they are not in this thing to win.

PKV has more objectives than just winning, they're an extention of the CCWS ownership and what they need for the series as a whole.

jono

Dr. Corkski
02-14-06, 02:06 PM
Why are people (i.e. Crapus and Cork) acting like she is taking the easy way out by going to Champ Cars instead of another year in Atlantics? Sure Atlantics are going to be tough, but Champ Cars certainly aren't going to be a walk in the park. The last time I checked, there were a lot of very competitive drivers in Champ Cars.

I look at it like the guys who leave college football/basketball early to go pro even thought they could probably use another year in college. Why risk an injury or a rough season that could ruin your career when you already have what it takes to compete at the top level? Not to mention the fact that Atlantics are running a new car this year.

To suggest that she is afraid of a little competition is ludicrous.You missed the point completely. It's not that she is afraid of competition itself, but that she is afraid of failure, which is probably what's coming to her next year. The difference here is that if she fails in Atlantics against a real field, then people will realize that maybe she isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread and the hype will be gone. If she fails in Champ Car, then at least there is a good chance that everyone will excuse it due to inexperience. Now if her backers are actually confident in her abilities as a driver and not as a marketing gimmick, then there is no reason why she should be afraid of racing against a real Atlantics field.

At this point, she has yet to even prove that she is more deserving to be given Champ Car race experience than at least 4-5 other drivers.

Dr. Corkski
02-14-06, 02:07 PM
that's retarded. give me a champ car ride now and I promise I'll be ready for 2010 :laugh:With a name like Jamie, maybe you can convince them you have a vagina too. :gomer:

Dirty Sanchez
02-14-06, 02:13 PM
You missed the point completely. It's not that she is afraid of competition itself, but that she is afraid of failure, which is probably what's coming to her next year. The difference here is that if she fails in Atlantics against a real field, then people will realize that maybe she isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread and the hype will be gone. If she fails in Champ Car, then at least there is a good chance that everyone will excuse it due to inexperience. Now if her backers are actually confident in her abilities as a driver and not as a marketing gimmick, then there is no reason why she should be afraid of racing against a real Atlantics field.

At this point, she has yet to even prove that she is more deserving to be given Champ Car race experience than at least 4-5 other drivers.nailed it :thumbup:

With a name like Jamie, maybe you can convince them you have a vagina too. :gomer:cockpunch!

Dirty Sanchez
02-14-06, 02:16 PM
PKV has more objectives than just winning, they're an extention of the CCWS ownership and what they need for the series as a whole.

jonowell then... add this and the firing of Cotman as Race Director to the list of reasons why team owners should not run a series.

G.
02-14-06, 02:18 PM
It's not that she is afraid of competition itself, but that she is afraid of failure, Thank you Doctor., but doesn't this violate the Doctor-patient confidentiality act? :shakehead

Do you really think that she has a say in where her boss wants her to race??

rabbit
02-14-06, 02:23 PM
You missed the point completely. It's not that she is afraid of competition itself, but that she is afraid of failure, which is probably what's coming to her next year. The difference here is that if she fails in Atlantics against a real field, then people will realize that maybe she isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread and the hype will be gone. If she fails in Champ Car, then at least there is a good chance that everyone will excuse it due to inexperience. Now if her backers are actually confident in her abilities as a driver and not as a marketing gimmick, then there is no reason why she should be afraid of racing against a real Atlantics field.

At this point, she has yet to even prove that she is more deserving to be given Champ Car race experience than at least 4-5 other drivers.Reread my post. I think I got the point. Being afraid of failure is not a bad thing, per se. (I'm afraid of failure, that's why I never took up skydiving. :gomer: ) Failure comes in different forms. If the new Atlantic car is plagued with mechanical gremlins and she only finishes three races, then she fails to live up to expectations and fails, and her career is essentially over. If she gets injured in a crash and misses most of the season, then she fails to live up to expectations and fails, and her career is essentially over. None of those are direct reflections on her ability as a driver, but would hurt her career nonetheless.

I'm not saying she is the most qualified driver out there for the ride. But I do think she is qualified for the ride. But I'm sure she appreciates your career advice.

jonovision_man
02-14-06, 02:23 PM
well then... add this and the firing of Cotman as Race Director to the list of reasons why team owners should not run a series.

Because they might focus on the big picture?

jono

rabbit
02-14-06, 02:25 PM
yeah... duck the competition. great strategy :gomer:/\/\/\/\----- quoted to refresh Cork's memory...

Dirty Sanchez
02-14-06, 02:30 PM
/\/\/\/\----- quoted to refresh Cork's memory...which was in response to this :gomer:

This is a smart move. With the Euro & F.Mazda heavy hitters hitting the Atlantic grid this year, Legge won't have as easy as she did last year and more then likely won't win any races. Therefore, another year of Atlantics would end all the hype. So, move her up to champcars and give her a year to learn with no preasure.to refresh your memory :gomer:

Dr. Corkski
02-14-06, 02:47 PM
If the new Atlantic car is plagued with mechanical gremlins and she only finishes three races, then she fails to live up to expectations and fails, and her career is essentially over. If she gets injured in a crash and misses most of the season, then she fails to live up to expectations and fails, and her career is essentially over. None of those are direct reflections on her ability as a driver, but would hurt her career nonetheless.Any racing driver that is actually afraid of that enough to affect them should find a new profession.

Hell, Kimi Raikkonen basically lost a championship last year because his team was too busy repair the #2 driver's crash damage to give Kimi a reliable car, but that didn't stop anyone from thinking that he was as good as if not better than Alonso.

rabbit
02-14-06, 02:52 PM
By your logic, Jacques Villeneuve should be the ballsiest driver in history for taking the BAR ride. :gomer:

Dr. Corkski
02-14-06, 02:59 PM
By your logic, Jacques Villeneuve should be the ballsiest driver in history for taking the BAR ride. :gomer:Even if he didn't he could have bought a set off ebay with the inflated salary his manager handed him. :gomer:

Spicoli
02-14-06, 03:03 PM
there are TEN Gomer-tars on this page alone :gomer:

make that 11. who's got 12?

Wheel-Nut
02-14-06, 03:11 PM
12 :gomer: oopps . . . I mean 1.

Spicoli
02-14-06, 03:22 PM
12 :gomer: oopps . . . I mean 1.

Yeah, but top of the page, and you own it! :wooooooot! :

:p

[ediotr's note: by the discussion on this thread alone, they have accomplished their goals?}

nrc
02-14-06, 03:40 PM
You missed the point completely. It's not that she is afraid of competition itself, but that she is afraid of failure, which is probably what's coming to her next year.

How does taking a Champ car ride prove that she's afraid of anything? Anyone in the Atlantic would gladly take a Champ car ride if it were offered. Marco Andretti didn't turn down daddy's crapwagon ride but that doesn't mean he was afraid of this year's IPS field.

I think Legge would be better off with another year in Atlantic, but I think in general we should be pleased when a winning driver from moves up the ladder. Rides don't get assigned entirely by merit. Welcome to the real world.

We wouldn't be having this discussion if Legge were a guy. I didn't see a lot of complaints when Casey Mears or Oriol Servia got a shot in Champ car and neither of them were winners in Indy Lights.

Easy
02-14-06, 03:42 PM
Are they going to hire Todd Harris? Maybe he can be her dedicated pit reporter so we know how quickly she is plummeting from 17th to 19th as she prepares to make a run at victory.

Dirty Sanchez
02-14-06, 03:54 PM
I didn't see a lot of complaints when Casey Mears or Oriol Servia got a shot in Champ car and neither of them were winners in Indy Lights.neither of them were hyped as much as Legge is either. and neither landed a seat held by a previous series champion.

rabbit
02-14-06, 03:56 PM
neither of them were hyped as much as Legge is either. and neither landed a seat held by a previous series champion.
Maybe they weren't hyped as much as Legge because neither one had won three races in their rookie seasons.

G.
02-14-06, 03:56 PM
Are they going to hire Todd Harris? Maybe he can be her dedicated pit reporter so we know how quickly she is plummeting from 17th to 19th as she prepares to make a run at victory.Legge ain't gonna be turning no tricks! :flame: She'd b***** slap that mofo back into Goodyear's arms.

Dirty Sanchez
02-14-06, 04:05 PM
Maybe they weren't hyped as much as Legge because neither one had won three races in their rookie seasons.and neither raced against the weakest top-to-bottom field in the history of their series. both won races before moving up and Servia won a championship :gomer:

Easy
02-14-06, 04:08 PM
We wouldn't be having this discussion if Legge were a guy. I didn't see a lot of complaints when Casey Mears or Oriol Servia got a shot in Champ car and neither of them were winners in Indy Lights.

CART wasn't funding their rides. Mears/Rahal got the additional Worldcom funding and Servia brought Telefonica.

Easy
02-14-06, 04:10 PM
and neither raced against the weakest top-to-bottom field in the history of their series. both won races before moving up and Servia won a championship :gomer:

Actually, Servia hadn't won a race since the Elf/La Filiere campus series until he scored one in 2005 for Newman and Haas.

Dr. Corkski
02-14-06, 04:12 PM
How does taking a Champ car ride prove that she's afraid of anything? Anyone in the Atlantic would gladly take a Champ car ride if it were offered. Marco Andretti didn't turn down daddy's crapwagon ride but that doesn't mean he was afraid of this year's IPS field.Because she has less to prove in Champ Car than she would in Atlantics this year. She simply has to be mediocre in Champ Car and everyone would excuse it to inexperience, while anything less than showing the speed to contend for the championship on a regular basis in Atlantics would be considered a failure.

We wouldn't be having this discussion if Legge were a guy. I didn't see a lot of complaints when Casey Mears or Oriol Servia got a shot in Champ car and neither of them were winners in Indy Lights.If she was a guy Kalkhoven would have never even given her the time of day, because you certianly don't see him giving the ride to the guys that beat Legge on track.

Servia won the championship the year before entering Champ Car, and brought money to a "mid-level" team. I never thought Casey Mears belonged in a Champ Car, the guy only got his chance because of his last name, which really wasn't all that much better.

nrc
02-14-06, 04:15 PM
neither of them were hyped as much as Legge is either. and neither landed a seat held by a previous series champion.

Casey Mears filled Alex Zanardi's seat on Mo Nunn's team.

Dr. Corkski
02-14-06, 04:18 PM
Casey Mears filled Alex Zanardi's seat on Mo Nunn's team.So Casey Mears shouldn't have gotten that seat. Doesn't make Legge anymore deserving of anything.

Easy
02-14-06, 04:20 PM
Casey Mears filled Alex Zanardi's seat on Mo Nunn's team.

(worldcom)

Dirty Sanchez
02-14-06, 04:21 PM
Actually, Servia hadn't won a race since the Elf/La Filiere campus series until he scored one in 2005 for Newman and Haas.thanks for the correction. the point is still valid as Servia came in to the sport with a championship after multiple years in a feeder series.

Casey Mears filled Alex Zanardi's seat on Mo Nunn's team.haha, that is true too, although I believe the circumstances were just a little different. Mears was a stop-gap solution and out of the series soon after.

nrc
02-14-06, 04:23 PM
CART wasn't funding their rides. Mears/Rahal got the additional Worldcom funding and Servia brought Telefonica.

Technically Champ car isn't funding Legge's ride (as far as we know right now). But they did fund RHR's ride and he didn't win any more Atlantic races than Legge.

Easy
02-14-06, 04:31 PM
thanks for the correction. the point is still valid as Servia came in to the sport with a championship after multiple years in a feeder series.

In agreement. He followed a line of several Lights champs into CART.

Dr. Corkski
02-14-06, 04:39 PM
Technically Champ car isn't funding Legge's ride (as far as we know right now). But they did fund RHR's ride and he didn't win any more Atlantic races than Legge.But RHR was the Chunk Norris of racing. :gomer:

Spicoli
02-14-06, 05:02 PM
But RHR was the Chunk Norris of racing. :gomer:

Speaking of the likeable lad, does he "got ride" this year? :confused:

mueber
02-14-06, 05:06 PM
[ediotr's note: by the discussion on this thread alone, they have accomplished their goals?}

Indeed. Haven't been four posts all February and this thread is four pages long.

pchall
02-14-06, 05:11 PM
You know what? Legge showed me more promise as a racer in the couple of times I saw her race than the three seasons of running fairly quick staying out of traffic that DP showed in BDPS and Atlantics.

Give Legge a break: she's got the talent and the drive.

Ziggy
02-14-06, 05:19 PM
It's a catch .22 situation. Another year in a competitive Atlantic field and she may struggle. Champcar loses out on a potential media maven.

Send her into the bigs with a small car count, and cash in on the media bonanza. Talent or not, it's the human interest hookup which worked for the idiots at 16th and Georgetown.

It's Champcar's first attempt at emulating the gomers :gomer:

worse things have happened, I just hate to see all the ink tossed around with no real accomplishments.

pchall
02-14-06, 05:23 PM
Because she has less to prove in Champ Car than she would in Atlantics this year. She simply has to be mediocre in Champ Car and everyone would excuse it to inexperience, while anything less than showing the speed to contend for the championship on a regular basis in Atlantics would be considered a failure.

Poor Corkski. Gets out marketed and whines. :p

Dr. Corkski
02-14-06, 05:27 PM
Poor Corkski. Gets out marketed and whines. :pSo says the dude who goes into full whine mode everytime he sees the word "Danica" appear on teh intardweb. :gomer:

Dr. Corkski
02-14-06, 05:29 PM
Speaking of the likeable lad, does he "got ride" this year? :confused:If he's a good tipper he might get one at Gentilozzi's strip clubs. :gomer: