PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR might get interesting

Wheel-Nut
02-13-06, 05:49 PM
Tony Stewart talking about how someone will get killed this year because of bump drafting and now Chad Knaus is banned from Daytona for altering Jimmy Johnson's car after qualifying.

NismoZ
02-13-06, 06:04 PM
This stuff has been going on for eons. The difference now is they are being called on it. No advantages. Looking for that 1st 4-wide finish! Even the HRL could do 2 or 3.

cameraman
02-13-06, 06:07 PM
A clump of traffic driving in a circle, I can see that from any highway overpass at rush hour. NASCAR will never get interesting.

manic mechanic
02-13-06, 08:19 PM
Re: Knaus..

Whatever happened to the adage: "It 'aint cheatin' if'n there 'aint a rule against it". :shakehead

Makes me wonder about things..His car owner KNOWS he will never get 200 wins, but he might have a shot at 7 Daytoner 500 wins if JJ doesn't "steal his chances". :p

manic

racer2c
02-13-06, 08:28 PM
Someone might get killed? I'll tune in!

Rogue Leader
02-13-06, 08:46 PM
The all cheat, they all do that... Knauss was just stupid enough to get caught....

TKGAngel
02-14-06, 09:17 AM
Jayski did some digging, and this is the 7th time that Knauss has been suspended/fined since 2001. His fines have totaled almost 75k.

dando
02-14-06, 02:13 PM
The all cheat, they all do that... Knauss was just stupid enough to get caught....
More like arrogant enough.

-Kevin

dando
02-14-06, 02:15 PM
Tony Stewart talking about how someone will get killed this year because of bump drafting and now Chad Knaus is banned from Daytona for altering Jimmy Johnson's car after qualifying.
Unless the good old boyz change the bumper rules, these cats are gonna make this into a 200mph demo derby. Sadly, Smoke is right. Someone will get killed, and only then will the rules change. :( :shakehead

-Kevin

rabbit
02-14-06, 02:30 PM
Someone will get killed, and only then will the rules change. :( :shakehead

-KevinThat's a pretty generous assumption you're making there. This is NASCAR we're talking about. If Dale Jr or Tony Stewart die, maybe they'll change something. If we're talking about a Kevin Lepage or a J.J. Yeley, I wouldn't hold my breath. :thumdown:

NismoZ
02-14-06, 05:19 PM
Maybe if they just bump in a straight line? Just put fat yellow lines before and after each turn. "No bumping zones." Maybe just the back straight only?

NismoZ
02-14-06, 05:24 PM
I SWEAR I wrote that before it appeared on-line. Just made sense.

rabbit
02-14-06, 05:31 PM
I SWEAR I wrote that before it appeared on-line. Just made sense.
Before what appeared online? You really gotta start posting links instead of assuming everyone has seen the exact same web pages you have.

Wheel-Nut
02-14-06, 05:59 PM
For entertainment value NASCAR should mandate six spikes be mounted to the back bumper. Get too close and your radiator gets punctured.

NismoZ
02-14-06, 08:00 PM
Sorry. Looks like NASCAB IS going to have no-bump zones! Now I have to go back and look where I may have seen that. Sounded pretty official.

NismoZ
02-14-06, 08:06 PM
Charlotte Observer, David Poole...www.ThatsRacin.com

pchall
02-14-06, 08:26 PM
Sorry. Looks like NASCAB IS going to have no-bump zones! Now I have to go back and look where I may have seen that. Sounded pretty official.

No bump zones plus not racin'? One big infomercial. So, what else is new?

trish
02-14-06, 08:33 PM

A guy at another forum I frequent (71Fan aka Tinnerman) calls it "The Rolling Billboard Parade".

NismoZ
02-14-06, 10:22 PM
Yeah, but we're hearin' somebody might die so jillions will tune in. That's the main thing, ya know?

cart7
02-15-06, 08:56 AM
As soon as TIVO can come up with a way to skip the commercials and most of the racing except for the big ones, then I'll buy one of those suckers.
On second thought, just skip most of the racing, the commercials are actually tolerable compared to the racing. :gomer:

Rocketdoc
02-15-06, 06:17 PM

It will take more than one driver to be killed before the Luddites at NASCAR Central to act to stop this stupid restrictor plate goofball rule, and find a way to keep the drivers competitive, but not guarantee horrific accidents throughout the races on super speedways.

Although, it has been said before, that the typical NASCAR fan just loves them there act-cee-dents.

Stu
02-15-06, 06:58 PM

Hell, instead of the no bump zones, why not just put in an artificial chicane before each turn to slow the cars down. :rolleyes:

Rogue Leader
02-15-06, 07:17 PM
I saw an article in Newsday today that said NASCAB has banned bump drafting at Daytona... let see how long that lasts.....

B3RACER1a
02-16-06, 02:25 AM
Ok, really, you know there is a problem with the formula when you have to make new rules. On the track itself, there should be a blocking rule, and that would be about it.

NismoZ
02-16-06, 01:13 PM
From what I read, the drivers (who want the bumping stopped or at least limited, but won't stop it themselves because it works and is legal) now are "nervous about giving NASCAR the right to arbitrarily decide when bump drafting is OK and when it shouldn't be done." WHAT? So, NASCAB is being less than vague in saying how and when or where the technique might be banned or even what the penalties might be if it is employed. Shall they create a "bump draft window" limited to the last 25 laps of the race? Then everyone could tune in during the last 15 minutes to see The BIG One! Huh, that's been a commom viewing strategy for years anyway! I guess the initial effort will be to place "observers" around the track to "monitor the practice". Cool. Anyone care to write a possible transcript for the radio traffic between observer "Bump-3" and Race Control? You were right. This IS interesting. Remember, it's entertainment not racing.

Andrew Longman
02-16-06, 02:03 PM
From what I read, the drivers (who want the bumping stopped or at least limited, but won't stop it themselves because it works and is legal) now are "nervous about giving NASCAR the right to arbitrarily decide when bump drafting is OK and when it shouldn't be done." WHAT? So, NASCAB is being less than vague in saying how and when or where the technique might be banned or even what the penalties might be if it is employed. Shall they create a "bump draft window" limited to the last 25 laps of the race? Then everyone could tune in during the last 15 minutes to see The BIG One! Huh, that's been a commom viewing strategy for years anyway! I guess the initial effort will be to place "observers" around the track to "monitor the practice". Cool. Anyone care to write a possible transcript for the radio traffic between observer "Bump-3" and Race Control? You were right. This IS interesting. Remember, it's entertainment not racing.

I'm sure they will officiate it just as well as they do racing below the yellow line :gomer:

Stu
02-16-06, 09:00 PM
Well them gatorade races today werent very interesting.

NismoZ
02-16-06, 09:43 PM
Perhaps you were looking for racing instead of entertainment?

Stu
02-16-06, 10:16 PM
Perhaps you were looking for racing instead of entertainment?

But I got neither.