PDA

View Full Version : Bud Shootout

trish
02-12-06, 05:56 PM
First incident of the race. McMurray, Vickers, Newman. Other than that I don't know whats happening. Too much quail talk.

trish
02-12-06, 06:17 PM
It would be nice if Schrader could win it.

trish
02-12-06, 06:26 PM
Mark Martin had a moment. Jeff Gordon has tire issues.

McMurray had a very close call.

spinner26
02-12-06, 06:39 PM
Say WHAT? Whata they do shoot each other with Bud? Help me , Explain. :saywhat:

trish
02-12-06, 06:49 PM
Ken Schrader gets the short end from his pit crew once again.

trish
02-12-06, 06:53 PM
Carl Edwards black flagged for using pit road entrance to avoid an accident and then coming back on track. First it was for passing under yellow, now they are calling it passing under pit road? He was refusing to take the penalty but I believe he just did.

trish
02-12-06, 06:59 PM
Denny Hamlin leading.

theunions
02-12-06, 07:04 PM
Say WHAT? Whata they do shoot each other with Bud? Help me , Explain. :saywhat:

All you need to know that it USED to be called (when it mattered) the Busch Clash.

trish
02-12-06, 07:07 PM
Wish Kyle would make up his mind where he wants to be. I'm expecting an incident the way some of these guys are going.

trish
02-12-06, 07:08 PM
I don't get it Tony...

trish
02-12-06, 07:10 PM
Newman bangs the wall and his car is smoking. French guy caution.

trish
02-12-06, 07:13 PM
Denny thinks he ran over something. He's not stopping, so look for his tire to go flat. Who's McMurray driving for this year? Never mind, I see Irwin on his car.

trish
02-12-06, 07:25 PM
The rookie Hamlin wins the shootout. He's guaranteed a front row spot.

manic mechanic
02-12-06, 08:03 PM
The rookie Hamlin wins the shootout. He's guaranteed a front row spot.

I believe you are mistaken...This was a "money only" race. $212k to the winner.

The two "Jeffs" are the only ones in at Daytoner until Thursday's 150s.

manic

trish
02-12-06, 08:09 PM
Did they change the rules? I thought the one in Charlotte was the money race.

trish
02-12-06, 08:10 PM
I think I've missed something. Someone did mention qualifying. When did that happen?

gjc2
02-12-06, 08:20 PM
I think I've missed something. Someone did mention qualifying. When did that happen?

Qualifying was just before the shootout. Only the fastest two qualifiers are guaranteed their starting positions on the front row. The top 35 cars from last season are guaranteed to be in the race. The two 150 mile races on Thursday serve the determine the starting positions for the second row on back and to determine which cars among those not guaranteed spots will make the race.

George

manic mechanic
02-12-06, 08:20 PM
59 cars went out this morning around 10:30PST..Jeff Burton fastest with Jeffy God'n 2nd.

Positions 3-30 get theirs by finishing 15th or better in the the 150s on Thursday.

Positions 31-42 filled by guys who are in the top 35 in owner points from last year but didn't get in via the 150s

Position 43 is for a past Champion (probably Terry Labonte) :shakehead

manic

gjc2
02-12-06, 08:32 PM
Just after the shootout Tony Stewart made a comment about the possibility of someone getting killed there or in Talladega. The interviewer ignored it. I think it was Bob Dillner, but I'm not sure.

George

ps: With all the snow here in the Northeast, the ARCA race, Cup qualifying, and the shootout kept me busy all day.

jonovision_man
02-12-06, 09:58 PM
His comments from Autosport:

"It is out of control," Stewart said. "I was sitting here watching the TV and watching the tribute to Dale Earnhardt who died five years ago, but five years from now we are probably going to have to do another tribute to another driver.

"Because we are probably going to kill somebody from Wednesday through Sunday next week. It could be me, it could be Dale Earnhardt Jr - it could be anybody."

"It's not the drivers are the problem - it's the fact we have quarter-inch steel plates in our front bumpers and reinforced rear bumpers," he continued. "If my idea counts for anything, and I've been racing 27 years, is to leave the front bumpers alone and make the front bumper soft. So you are going to hurt your car if you do that.

"It is not the guys who are doing the hitting - believe me I did my share of bump drafting too. The problem is not that drivers are trying to get people out of control but it is a product of the environment that we are in.

"We are doing it in the middle of the corner, guys are doing it coming off the corner. I got hit so hard by Ryan Newman, but he's not trying to hurt anyone, he's just trying to push along and keep the line moving. But we are going to hurt somebody really, really bad next Sunday if we don't do something.

"I was just trying to save my life out there. I will now up my life insurance policy on Monday morning as soon as the office opens. I'm not anxious to get back into the car on Wednesday for practice if that is what practice is going to be like."

racer2c
02-12-06, 10:11 PM
Much ado about nothing in my opinion. Tony's intentions may be sincere but the end result is more people tuning in to see this "danger". Basically it's stock cars version of wheel to wheel in a formula car. Believe me, the guys in the red trailer are not chaning it for Tony's sake just like they didn't after Earnhardt and he was/is a legend in the sport.

NismoZ
02-13-06, 12:20 AM
I disagree. I think more things were changed after The Earnhart wreck than in any comparable period in NASCAR history, from tracks to cars to equipment and more. I know you are referring to the "type" of racing and what it leads to but their "Car Of The Future" is the best indication that will not change and the expected wrecks are to be made SAFER. I also believe Stewart is speaking sincerely and wonder if he is speaking ONLY about the restrictor races, because the kind of wrecks he is talking about can happen at 3/4 of the tracks, at least. Maybe as a wealthy older race driver and champion now he thinks about it more than in the past? I'd like to hear his solution to the danger he sees. Unrestricted 210+ mph laps like 20 years ago? V-6s? Smaller fields? His focus on a less sturdy bumper seems less like a solution than a complaint. Rubbin' is racin', but bumpin' ain't? I'm not saying he isn't right in his perception and I admire him for speaking out, but he'll be painted as a chicken in the press and by many fans before he's praised as a defender of the sport. Of course he has the ultimate control in that he can just go fishin'!

Dave99
02-13-06, 12:42 AM
I will now up my life insurance policy on Monday morning as soon as the office opens.

Someone should tell Tony Stewart that, considering his net-worth, a life insurance policy is a waste of his money. He should worry more about buying (or upping) a disability policy.

racer2c
02-13-06, 12:57 AM
I disagree. I think more things were changed after The Earnhart wreck than in any comparable period in NASCAR history, from tracks to cars to equipment and more. I know you are referring to the "type" of racing and what it leads to but their "Car Of The Future" is the best indication that will not change and the expected wrecks are to be made SAFER. I also believe Stewart is speaking sincerely and wonder if he is speaking ONLY about the restrictor races, because the kind of wrecks he is talking about can happen at 3/4 of the tracks, at least. Maybe as a wealthy older race driver and champion now he thinks about it more than in the past? I'd like to hear his solution to the danger he sees. Unrestricted 210+ mph laps like 20 years ago? V-6s? Smaller fields? His focus on a less sturdy bumper seems less like a solution than a complaint. Rubbin' is racin', but bumpin' ain't? I'm not saying he isn't right in his perception and I admire him for speaking out, but he'll be painted as a chicken in the press and by many fans before he's praised as a defender of the sport. Of course he has the ultimate control in that he can just go fishin'!

Hell, if you want my honest opinion NASCAR gives this crap for drivers to read in advance. What exactly has changed so dramatically in the last five years, safty-wise? A spring in the seat? SAFER walls? Sure, whatever you say. NASCAR...the cutting edge of safty.

It's all grandstanding self promotion if you ask me. Did anyone die today? No. Did anyone die yesterday? Nope. So why is Tony predicting such a macabre "event"? Three words: Building The Show.

Stu
02-13-06, 08:28 AM
Hell, if you want my honest opinion NASCAR gives this crap for drivers to read in advance. What exactly has changed so dramatically in the last five years, safty-wise? A spring in the seat? SAFER walls? Sure, whatever you say. NASCAR...the cutting edge of safty.

It's all grandstanding self promotion if you ask me. Did anyone die today? No. Did anyone die yesterday? Nope. So why is Tony predicting such a macabre "event"? Three words: Building The Show.

Or maybe he really does feel that as the years have gone by, the plate tracks have gotten more dangerous since drivers are a lot less cautious. The influx of rookie drivers doesnt help either.

What has changed in the last 5 years? Well others have already said it, more SAFER barriers, everyone must wear the HANS device, and probably a boat load of little things.

jonovision_man
02-13-06, 08:45 AM
I will now up my life insurance policy on Monday morning as soon as the office opens.

Someone should tell Tony Stewart that, considering his net-worth, a life insurance policy is a waste of his money. He should worry more about buying (or upping) a disability policy.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that conversation...

"Hi insurance company, I want to up my life insurance effective immediately because I expect to die this weekend!"

"Uhhh... yeah, we'll get right on that..."

jono