PDA

View Full Version : Note to self:

rabbit
02-12-06, 05:11 PM
Cancel quail hunting trip with Dick Cheney.

:rofl:

trish
02-12-06, 05:13 PM
Here's the link for those scratching their heads. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060212/ap_on_go_pr_wh/cheney_hunting_accident

First I've heard of this.

Opposite Lock
02-12-06, 05:14 PM
:eek: I saw Wedding Crashers last night. TFF.

Sean O'Gorman
02-12-06, 05:16 PM
"I don't even know what the **** a quail is!"
"I know. Why do I have to be in camouflage? Is the big bad quail gonna see me?"

dando
02-12-06, 05:16 PM
Cancel quail hunting trip with Dick Cheney.

:rofl:
Reminds of when Bobby Knight shot a fellow hunter a few years ago. Kids showed up @ IU hoops games wearing bright orange hunting vests, etc. through out the season. TFF!

Seriously, tho, I hope the guy is alright.

-Kevin

EDwardo
02-12-06, 05:18 PM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060212/capt.3de666cac2cf46fc85f3bd4350245ba8.cheney_hunti ng_accident_ny111.jpg?x=380&y=329&sig=WnwsRKq6nxUXuWXuu9SPBQ--

Andrew Longman
02-12-06, 05:22 PM
No way this was an accident.

Clearly Whittington was working with bin Laden.

Either that or Whittington was just call to testify against him.

trish
02-12-06, 05:24 PM
"I don't even know what the **** a quail is!"
"I know. Why do I have to be in camouflage? Is the big bad quail gonna see me?"
Bird

EDwardo
02-12-06, 05:28 PM
http://www.hormel.com/images/glossary/q/quail.jpg

fourrunner
02-12-06, 05:29 PM
The Guy was 78, How much longer could he have ?? ;)

trish
02-12-06, 05:30 PM
That looks like a chicken or small turkey.

EDwardo
02-12-06, 05:34 PM
That looks like a chicken or small turkey.

Image from Hormel.com glossary!

rabbit
02-12-06, 05:34 PM
A theory:

Whittington sez: "Hey, if we're 'Quayle' hunting, then that means I get to shoot Bush's vice president," and Cheney thought he was talking about him.

:groans at own bad joke:

trish
02-12-06, 05:36 PM
Image from Hormel.com glossary!

No way that's a quail. They are about the size of a chicadee. They are so tiny, you can eat their bones. Three or four of them is a single serving.

trish
02-12-06, 05:38 PM
These are quail.

http://www.mcohunts.com/images/Sherwood%20quail.JPG

They're the ones in front of what looks like a fox.

edit: On second thought, that may be a wolf. As long as it's not their bird dog I guess it's ok.

EDwardo
02-12-06, 05:44 PM
No way that's a quail. They are about the size of a chicadee. They are so tiny, you can eat their bones. Three or four of them is a single serving.

check it out!
http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossary.asp?akw=&id=34901&catitemid=

another quail pic.....
http://www.mcohunts.com/images/quail%20fat%20comparison.jpg

trish
02-12-06, 05:45 PM
I saw that one, but thought it was too graphic. Notice it looks nothing like a chicken.

Dr. Corkski
02-12-06, 05:46 PM
Notice it looks nothing like a chicken.But it probably tastes like chicken.

EDwardo
02-12-06, 05:49 PM
I saw that one, but thought it was too graphic. Notice it looks nothing like a chicken.

Here is an Indiana quayle....
http://www.woznymusic.com/images/dan_quayle_150x202.gif
;)

Joelski
02-12-06, 05:53 PM
It looks cold.

trish
02-12-06, 05:54 PM
It is a terrible thing to lose one's mind.

Or something like that.

oddlycalm
02-12-06, 05:58 PM
And everyone laughed at Gerry Ford for hitting a couple folks with golf balls...

oc

FTG
02-12-06, 06:59 PM
""The vice president has got an ambulance on call, so the ambulance came."

What ever happened to personal responsibilty? If you're dumb enough to to step in front of the Vice President's shot you should have to wait for your own damn ambulance.

fourrunner
02-12-06, 08:00 PM
Thank God they have redundancies when it comes to these guys "Pushing THE Button" ......

They DO have Redundancies to prevent an accidental "pushing THE button"
Don't They ???

Please Lord Baby Jesus ... make it so !!! ;)

cart7
02-12-06, 11:05 PM
http://www.mcohunts.com/images/Sherwood%20quail.JPG

Those are quail and the other one is a coyote. Country version of the rat.

Turn7
02-13-06, 10:30 AM
Those are bobwhite quail in the picture. The part of Texas that they were hunting they were probably shooting blue quail which are bigger but, still a small bird.

Quail hunting isn't for putting meat on the table, it is more of a social event.

eiregosod
02-13-06, 10:45 AM
Quail hunting isn't for putting meat on the table, it is more of a social event.

quail hunting = Wyoming roulette?

KLang
02-13-06, 10:59 AM
From the story on CNN

She said Whittington had just shot a quail and had dropped back to retrieve it. He was hit upon rejoining the group and "apparently came up unannounced" as Cheney prepared to fire.

I'm surprised Cheney's security detail allowed anyone to 'came up unannounced'. I'll bet someone is in trouble over that.

G.
02-13-06, 01:57 PM
From the story on CNN

I'm surprised Cheney's security detail allowed anyone to 'came up unannounced'. I'll bet someone is in trouble over that.Nahh, Dick took care of the issue hizzelf. :gomer:

Interesting security task. Keep Veep safe. Check.
Give him a gun. Check.
Give his friends guns. Waitaminite...

Stay the **** away from them so that you don't scare the prey.

How do you protect the VP in that situation?

Could you imagine the SS reaction if Dick was on the other end of the pellets??

Wheel-Nut
02-13-06, 02:07 PM
Hunting is a dangerous sport, it doesn't matter who you are. Hunting with 80 year old men just compounds the situation. Most quail are shot at a low angle to the ground, head high to be specific.

Winston Wolfe
02-13-06, 02:55 PM
Hunting is a dangerous sport, it doesn't matter who you are. Hunting with 80 year old men just compounds the situation. Most quail are shot at a low angle to the ground, head high to be specific.

Apparently, so are most of the 80 year old men in the VEEP's "posse".... :D

Its a social event, fer sure.... someone's 800 acre ranch in south TX, with millionaires all around, and secret service detail ? These guys aren't putting food on the table, they are lining their campaign funds and coffers.
That doesnt make 'em bad guys.... just rich old politicians and socialites doin' their thang ! :thumbup:

Wheel-Nut
02-13-06, 03:03 PM
^^^ You left out a couple of Zeros. It's a 50,000 acre ranch. Remember, everythings bigger in Texas!! :)

http://agnews.tamu.edu/dailynews/stories/AGPR/Jan1006a.htm

It's a bit ironic that the guy Cheney shot is the chairman of the Texas Funeral Services Commission :o

oddlycalm
02-13-06, 07:00 PM
I'm surprised Cheney's security detail allowed anyone to 'came up unannounced'. I'll bet someone is in trouble over that. His security detail is probably just lucky it wasn't one of them that got shot. ;)

My grandfather used to call this "duck hunting" 'cause you damn well better duck whenever that idiot (fill in the name of your choice) has a gun in his hands.

oc

meadors
02-13-06, 10:42 PM
I can't believe nobody has put this to Aerosmith yet.

"Cheney's got aaa gun
The bad days just beeegun"

fourrunner
02-13-06, 10:57 PM
From what I read Cheyney's Security Detail includes an Ambulance & a Paramedic because of his heart condition ( This is True )

Today they announced that they will add an additional Ambulance to the detail from now on, for any of his friends that join him for hunting! ;)

G.
02-13-06, 11:53 PM
I can't believe nobody has put this to Aerosmith yet.

"Cheney's got aaa gun
The bad days just beeegun"heard one today. :laugh:

Lizzerd
02-14-06, 12:10 AM
From what I read Cheyney's Security Detail includes an Ambulance & a Paramedic because of his heart condition ( This is True )

That's done with all the higher-ups. Not just Cheney.

fourrunner
02-14-06, 12:56 AM

I knew they were well protected, but i never knew that Ambulances were involved ... But it makes sense, especially when they're out in the boondocks !

FTG
02-14-06, 09:18 AM

When Reagan was shot, they took him to the hospital in the back of his limo. There was no ambulance standing by.

tllips
02-14-06, 09:47 AM
When Reagan was shot, they took him to the hospital in the back of his limo. There was no ambulance standing by.

I just heard a little bit of a radio program regarding Reagan a week or two ago.

Apparently, they did not know that Reagan was hit until after he was in the Limo and it was driving away. They also supposedly, tried to keep the fact that he was injured away from the public until one of the senators made a reference to someone in the press that Reagan was in the hospital. By then, he was already in surgery.

They also said that he refused a wheel chair upon arrival to the hospital and walked in on his own.

So, there may have been an ambulance there at the time, but since he was already in the limo, they figured it could bring him to the hospital.

FTG
02-14-06, 11:03 AM
"Late Show with David Letterman," CBS

# "Good news, ladies and gentlemen, we have finally located weapons of mass destruction: It's Dick Cheney."

# "But here is the sad part -- before the trip Donald Rumsfeld had denied the guy's request for body armor."

# "We can't get Bin Laden, but we nailed a 78-year-old attorney."

# "The guy who got gunned down, he is a Republican lawyer and a big Republican donor and fortunately the buck shot was deflected by wads of laundered cash. So he's fine. He took a little in the wallet."

"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," NBC

# "Although it is beautiful here in California, the weather back East has been atrocious. There was so much snow in Washington, D.C., Dick Cheney accidentally shot a fat guy thinking it was a polar bear."

# "That's the big story over the weekend. ... Dick Cheney accidentally shot a fellow hunter, a 78-year-old lawyer. In fact, when people found out he shot a lawyer, his popularity is now at 92 percent."

# "I think Cheney is starting to lose it. After he shot the guy he screamed, 'Anyone else want to call domestic wire tapping illegal?' "

# "Dick Cheney is capitalizing on this for Valentine's Day. It's the new Dick Cheney cologne. It's called Duck!"

"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart," Comedy Central

# The show's segment titles included "Cheney's Got a Gun," "No. 2 With a Bullet" and "Dead-Eye Dick."

# "Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot a man during a quail hunt ... making 78-year-old Harry Whittington the first person shot by a sitting veep since Alexander Hamilton. Hamilton, of course, (was) shot in a duel with Aaron Burr over issues of honor, integrity and political maneuvering. Whittington? Mistaken for a bird."

# "Now, this story certainly has its humorous aspects. ... But it also raises a serious issue, one which I feel very strongly about. ... Moms, dads, if you're watching right now, I can't emphasize this enough: Do not let your kids go on hunting trips with the vice president. I don't care what kind of lucrative contracts they're trying to land, or energy regulations they're trying to get lifted -- it's just not worth it."

"Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson," CBS

# "He is a lawyer and he got shot in the face. But he's a lawyer, he can use his other face. He'll be all right."

# "You can understand why this lawyer fellow let his guard down, because if you're out hunting with a politician, you think, 'If I'm going to get it, it's going to be in the back.' "

# "The big scandal apparently is that they didn't release the news for 18 hours. I don't think that's a scandal at all. I'm quite pleased about that. Finally there's a secret the vice president's office can keep."

# "Apparently the reason they didn't release the information right away is they said we had to get the facts right. That's never stopped them in the past."

FTG
02-14-06, 03:18 PM
This is interesting. It's not funny if the guy dies.

Man shot by U.S. V-P Cheney suffers "minor heart attack" after birdshot becomes lodged in his heart, hospital spokesman says.

TKGAngel
02-14-06, 03:19 PM
Nothing to see here.

FTG
02-14-06, 03:50 PM
Doesn't really sound like a "sneak up" either.

The Parks and Wildlife Department report said Whittington was retrieving a downed bird and stepped out of the hunting line he was sharing with Cheney. "Another covey was flushed and Cheney swung on a bird and fired, striking Whittington in the face, neck and chest at approximately 30 yards," the report said.

eiregosod
02-14-06, 05:04 PM
:(

The Texans are about to fire tup the electric chair ;)

Ankf00
02-14-06, 05:10 PM
electric chair is for utah, or something... actually I believe utah lets you choose a firing squad if you so wish. Washington state still hangs folks with a good ol' noose.

We prefer sodium thiopental w/ pancuronium bromide & potassium chloride. See? We can be progressive down here too! ;)

Spicoli
02-14-06, 05:22 PM
electric chair is for utah, or something... actually I believe utah lets you choose a firing squad if you so wish. Washington state still hangs folks with a good ol' noose.

We prefer sodium thiopental w/ pancuronium bromide & potassium chloride. See? We can be progressive down here too! ;)

http://www.eduscapes.com/rathsack/babyweb/images/Don't%20Mess%20with%20Texas.JPG

eiregosod
02-14-06, 05:31 PM

isnt potassium chloride a glorified 'table salt' . Are the other 2 ingredients traditional Texan salad dressings? ;)

Ankf00
02-14-06, 06:46 PM
the bromide's supposed to collapse your diaphragm and lungs, but who knows, Cleetus and Jethro might enjoy some of that poured on their lettuce :gomer:

potassium overdose is supposed to trigger heart failure...

cameraman
02-14-06, 06:54 PM
Few things in this world are guaranteed.

A potassium overdose stopping your heart cold is one of them.

Ankf00
02-14-06, 06:59 PM
http://www.eduscapes.com/rathsack/babyweb/images/Don't%20Mess%20with%20Texas.JPG

I'm from Texas, and in Texas we have the death penalty, and we use it. Thaaat's right, if you come to Texas and kill somebody, we will kill you back. That's our policy....

Right now there's a bill in the Texas Legislature that would speed up the execution process of those convicted of a heinous crime with more than three credible witnesses. If more than three people saw you do what you did you don't sit on death row for 15 years Jack. You go straight to the front of the line!

Other states are trying to abolish the death penalty. My state's putting in an express lane!

:rofl: Any man who performs on stage with a glass of scotch and a cigar rocks :)

FTG
02-14-06, 11:00 PM
I do like this story.

At what range was Harry Whittington hit? The official story is that the blast from the vice president's shotgun hit Whittington at a distance of 30 yards. Hunters are skeptical. The hunt took place on a cold, windy afternoon. Whittington and his fellow hunters were probably wearing warm clothing—say, a jacket and a flannel shirt. Cheney was using a 28-gauge shotgun, a smaller-diameter firearm with pellets smaller than BBs. Whittington's friends question whether the pellets could have penetrated his layers of clothing and skin at that range. Yet two pellets lodged against his larynx, another was in his liver, and another migrated into the heart muscle, causing the heart attack. The pattern of wounds was between the lower chest and the forehead, a pretty tight zone for shot of 30 yards. If the range was considerably less than 30 yards, then it is likely that Whittington's injuries were worse than the initial statement by Katharine Armstrong indicated. (The blast "knocked him silly," but "he was fine.")

Any experts on 28 guage ammo out there?

Ankf00
02-14-06, 11:17 PM
Verdict: Cheney's a dumbass hunter (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=quacks&Number=4002786&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=)

TrueBrit
02-15-06, 01:01 AM
Perhaps if he hadn't received 83 deferrments from serving in Vietnam he would have been a better shot.... ;)

Or perhaps he thought Whittington was Scooter Libby.... :D

rabbit
02-15-06, 01:06 AM
I do like this story.

At what range was Harry Whittington hit? The official story is that the blast from the vice president's shotgun hit Whittington at a distance of 30 yards. Hunters are skeptical. The hunt took place on a cold, windy afternoon. Whittington and his fellow hunters were probably wearing warm clothing—say, a jacket and a flannel shirt. Cheney was using a 28-gauge shotgun, a smaller-diameter firearm with pellets smaller than BBs. Whittington's friends question whether the pellets could have penetrated his layers of clothing and skin at that range. Yet two pellets lodged against his larynx, another was in his liver, and another migrated into the heart muscle, causing the heart attack. The pattern of wounds was between the lower chest and the forehead, a pretty tight zone for shot of 30 yards. If the range was considerably less than 30 yards, then it is likely that Whittington's injuries were worse than the initial statement by Katharine Armstrong indicated. (The blast "knocked him silly," but "he was fine.")

Any experts on 28 guage ammo out there?
I've never seen or shot a 28 gauge. A lot of different factors affect the size of the spread: gauge, shot size, choke, weather. I read it was 7 1/2 shot, which is pretty small shot and has a pretty wide spread. Based on my limited experience, my first reaction was that 30 yards seemed like a generous estimate.

rabbit
02-15-06, 01:25 AM
Found this site: (http://www.rfgc.org/reload/pattern_density_calc.htm) According to this calculator, 28 gauge 7-1/2 shot with a 1 oz. load charge will put anywhere from 210 to 350 pellets (depending on choke) in a 30" pattern at 30 yards, more than enough to inflict the damage reported.

Opposite Lock
02-15-06, 01:30 AM
Verdict: Cheney's a dumbass hunter (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=quacks&Number=4002786&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=)

some good stuff in there :laugh:

NickDanger's hunting report...

10 ways Dick Cheney...

the Clinton shooting...

Opposite Lock
02-15-06, 01:36 AM
Found this site: (http://www.rfgc.org/reload/pattern_density_calc.htm) According to this calculator, 28 gauge 7-1/2 shot with a 1 oz. load charge will put anywhere from 210 to 350 pellets (depending on choke) in a 30" pattern at 30 yards, more than enough to inflict the damage reported.

nice find :thumbup: :rofl:

straight to "favorites".

cart7
02-15-06, 09:27 AM

Saw posted at another site the muzzle velocity is around 1200fps. No other figures beyond that but 30yds isn't much distance to dissipate that kind of energy.

FTG
02-15-06, 09:52 AM
The dude took a pellet in the heart, but didn't lose an eye. I'm not an expert on shot gun spread, but that seems unlikely to me if he was thirty yards away.

The closer the victim, the tighter the wound pattern, no?

KLang
02-15-06, 10:30 AM
edit:
never mind, not the place for it.

G.
02-15-06, 12:04 PM
The dude took a pellet in the heart, but didn't lose an eye. I'm not an expert on shot gun spread, but that seems unlikely to me if he was thirty yards away.

The closer the victim, the tighter the wound pattern, no?safety glasses. Don't know if any pellets hit his glasses, but "all" hunters/shooters wear safety glasses.

Closer=tighter, yes.

FTG
02-15-06, 08:53 PM
"Cheney said he drank a beer with lunch the day of the shooting, according to his interview. The shooting took place about 5:50 p.m."

The delay makes sense now.

Lizzerd
02-15-06, 10:11 PM
"Cheney said he drank a beer with lunch the day of the shooting, according to his interview. The shooting took place about 5:50 p.m."

Wow. Considering his body can metabolize a beer in about an hour, he musta been really drunk, don't you think? Especially if they had lunch at 5:45.

Since you're looking for a conspiracy theory, you really should be able to come up with something better than that. :shakehead

TrueBrit
02-16-06, 10:09 AM
Wow. Considering his body can metabolize a beer in about an hour, he musta been really drunk, don't you think? Especially if they had lunch at 5:45.

Since you're looking for a conspiracy theory, you really should be able to come up with something better than that. :shakehead

..and then of course there's the 14-hour delay in advising his "boss" that he'd shot someone....How long does it take for alcohol to move through the system?

I'm just saying, but there's a possibility that DUI-Dick might have had more than "one beer"....... ;)

TrueBrit
02-16-06, 10:12 AM

Any idea what time sunset was that day...the cutoff for hunting quail is 1/2 an hour past sunset....

Also interesting how we go from MSNBC reporting that there was alcohol "around", to then scrubbing their website of any reference to booze, and then now we're back to "one beer"...

KLang
02-16-06, 10:29 AM
Like a moth to a flame.... :rolleyes:

rabbit
02-16-06, 10:42 AM
:laugh:

Stu
02-16-06, 11:41 AM
Any idea what time sunset was that day...the cutoff for hunting quail is 1/2 an hour past sunset....

sunset was around 6. so non issue. :rolleyes:

RaceGrrl
02-16-06, 11:58 AM
Thin ice...

Please refrain from taking this thread in a political direction or we will have to close it.

TrueBrit
02-16-06, 12:45 PM
sunset was around 6. so non issue.

Just asking the question...

:shakehead :gomer: :p :p

TrueBrit
02-16-06, 12:46 PM

Yup, your belief in the (delayed) story was quite predictable.... :shakehead

rabbit
02-16-06, 12:46 PM
Just asking the question...

:shakehead :gomer: :p
We knew your motives were pure. ;)

TrueBrit
02-16-06, 12:47 PM
We knew your motives were pure. ;)

Completely.... :laugh:

DjDrOmusic
02-16-06, 12:48 PM
Whittington was hiding WMD's I tell you, the VP had to do it for National Security purposes!! :rofl: ;)

Wheel-Nut
02-16-06, 12:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Wheel-Nut/dickcheney.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Wheel-Nut/dickcheney2.jpg

nrc
02-16-06, 01:01 PM
I was actually surprised that it got this far. Thanks to those early participants who kept it non-political.