PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Rulebook Released

JoeBob
02-12-06, 03:05 AM
http://champcarftp.com/2006rulebook.pdf

Updates are marked by lines on the right side of the page. Looks like a lot of the references are related to the role of Race Director.

Also of note - they can now fine 25 points for major technical violations, mirrors must be in a "functional orientation," and it looks like there will be an update on the placement and specifications for car numbers.

Intertestingly, Tony Cotman is listed as Director of Operations - but despite the many references to a "race director," none is listed.

jonovision_man
02-12-06, 11:54 AM
They took out the Constructors' Cup! :eek: ;)

Pretty dry reading, skimmed it, didn't catch anything too significant. Which is good, the rules worked pretty well last year.

I wonder why they changed this...? It leaves things open to criticism, ie. if the Race Director decides not to shuffle people to the back and that effects the result.

2005:

6.23.4. In the event of a restart within the final ten laps of the race, all lapped cars shall be repositioned to the rear of all lead lap cars prior to the restart.

2006:

6.23.4. In the event of a restart within the final laps of the race, as determined by the Race Director, lapped cars may be repositioned to the rear of lead lap cars prior to the restart.

Probably won't be a big deal, but you know how these things go... any perceived advantage by a decision and people get all blue in the face.

jono

rjohnson999
02-12-06, 01:29 PM
The hard and fast ten laps from the end rule doesn't give race control any options.

I wonder why they changed this...? It leaves things open to criticism, ie. if the Race Director decides not to shuffle people to the back and that effects the result.

2006:
Quote:
6.23.4. In the event of a restart within the final laps of the race, as determined by the Race Director, lapped cars may be repositioned to the rear of lead lap cars prior to the restart.

Probably won't be a big deal, but you know how these things go... any perceived advantage by a decision and people get all blue in the face.

jono[/QUOTE]

TravelGal
02-12-06, 04:19 PM
Is there anything about when they have to announce if it's a timed race? (Will we still have those in 2006?) That could affect the "10 laps" thing.

Last year, you found out pretty darn near the end that OOOOPS, not 12 laps left, just 8, for instance.

RHR_Fan
02-12-06, 06:52 PM
Is there anything about when they have to announce if it's a timed race? (Will we still have those in 2006?) That could affect the "10 laps" thing.

Last year, you found out pretty darn near the end that OOOOPS, not 12 laps left, just 8, for instance.

Milwaukee is a perfect example of that. I'm standing at the podium (so I get a good photo/hat opportunity) and all of a sudden they wave the white flag a few laps early. None of us had a clue that was going to happen.

~Nicole

Sean O'Gorman
02-12-06, 06:59 PM
Milwaukee is a perfect example of that. I'm standing at the podium (so I get a good photo/hat opportunity) and all of a sudden they wave the white flag a few laps early. None of us had a clue that was going to happen.

~Nicole

Uhh, I think the rule is more relevent for what happens on the track. You know, stuff that actually matters, and stuff like that.

Stu
02-12-06, 10:49 PM
Uhh, I think the rule is more relevent for what happens on the track. You know, stuff that actually matters, and stuff like that.

How soon til we get to read the 2006 IRL Rule Book? :)

Insomniac
02-13-06, 09:40 AM

Maybe they changed it to let them allow a fast lapped car a chance to get its lap back?

Steve99
02-13-06, 01:57 PM

I'm thinking they wanted to leave flexibility for different situations. It might add a lap or two (or more) of yellow to get things sorted out once they start shuffling people around. They might not want to take the time.

jonovision_man
02-13-06, 03:42 PM
I'm thinking they wanted to leave flexibility for different situations. It might add a lap or two (or more) of yellow to get things sorted out once they start shuffling people around. They might not want to take the time.

I assume that's correct... but you know how it'll play out if Sebastian and Tracy have a lapped car between them and they don't shuffle, or do shuffle, etc. All the armchair Race Directors will be on them like white on rice.

jono

Insomniac
02-13-06, 04:06 PM
I assume that's correct... but you know how it'll play out if Sebastian and Tracy have a lapped car between them and they don't shuffle, or do shuffle, etc. All the armchair Race Directors will be on them like white on rice.

jono

It only matters who is in the lead. If it's not PT, it's all good around here.

Ziggy
02-13-06, 07:54 PM
Got mine hand delivered a last week

hahahahaha