PDA

View Full Version : Olympic opening ceremonies

anait
02-10-06, 05:04 PM
Okay, I've always given Brian Williams the benefit of the doubt...but he's made a bunch of gaffs today...and five minutes ago, he called the donuts Luca Badoer did in a Ferrari, in the middle of the Olympic stadium, "victory loops". :saywhat:

Brian. LET VIC TAKE OVER!!!! :cool: :p

dando
02-10-06, 07:42 PM
Okay, I've always given Brian Williams the benefit of the doubt...but he's made a bunch of gaffs today...and five minutes ago, he called the donuts Luca Badoer did in a Ferrari, in the middle of the Olympic stadium, "victory loops". :saywhat:

I believe he made a major boo-boo earlier this week, 2. Must be time to replace the chip. :D

-Kevin

Lizzerd
02-10-06, 11:09 PM
It must be a Canadian thing seeing it live.

Watching it here now in the States. I want to throw a brick at the TV every time Brian Williams opens his mouth. He keeps coming up with world events stuff or political stuff for every country's team that marches into the stadium. Yet, he began the broadcast by saying that he doesn't know why he is there, being a "news guy", and gushing about the credo of the Olympics as a time to put politics and world events aside. What a geek. I never did like that guy, but I hate TV news journalists in general.

Luca hasn't done any victory loops yet either, unless the dix cut up the coverage.

fourrunner
02-10-06, 11:39 PM

Watching it here now in the States. I want to throw a brick at the TV every time Brian Williams opens his mouth. He keeps coming up with world events stuff or political stuff for every country's team that marches into the stadium. Yet, he began the broadcast by saying that he doesn't know why he is there, being a "news guy", and gushing about the credo of the Olympics as a time to put politics and world events aside. What a geek. I never did like that guy, but I hate TV news journalists in general.

Luca hasn't done any victory loops yet either, unless the dix cut up the coverage.

Brian Williams is "Wooden" to say the least ...Costas seems to want to guide him into the "Fun Zone", but Brian appears humorless .... Too Bad !

US has pretty sharp uniforms though !

Stu
02-10-06, 11:41 PM
Brian Williams is "Wooden" to say the least ...Costas seems to want to guide him into the "Fun Zone", but Brian appears humorless .... Too Bad !

US has pretty sharp uniforms though !

Whats with the echo on the Costas' mic? Is he talking into a coffee can?

Stupid NBC and their multicasting - totally ruining the HD picture. :rolleyes:

RHR_Fan
02-10-06, 11:41 PM
When the young girl sang the Italian National Anthem, I wanted Michael Schumacher to pop out! I also thought they could have done without the first hour/preview show.

~Nicole

fourrunner
02-10-06, 11:51 PM
Whats with the echo on the Costas' mic? Is he talking into a coffee can?

Stupid NBC and their multicasting - totally ruining the HD picture. :rolleyes:

Yes, I agree .... some of the Camera's give a Crystal Clear Image, others are a bit off !!

Cam
02-10-06, 11:55 PM

Why TF is Badoer doing said donuts in a vehicle that is only supposed see warm pavement? :rolleyes:

fourrunner
02-11-06, 12:05 AM
Must say the Ferrarri Red sure sets off well against the White Background !! :thumbup:

RusH
02-11-06, 12:05 AM
Was that Shumi?

It looked good!..take that!... Na$car :thumbup:

fourrunner
02-11-06, 12:14 AM
Was that Shumi?

It looked good!..take that!... Na$car :thumbup:

Schumachers Car ... Luca Badoer driving !

Cam
02-11-06, 12:28 AM
Schumachers Car ... Luca Badoer driving !

Well Obviously the opening of the Olympics is not worth the Chins time......

OOPs! You said WINTER Olympics?

Whatever..... :shakehead

TrueBrit
02-11-06, 01:29 AM

I couldn't agree more, every single time a team from one country or another came out he had to make some political reference or other...I was especially brassed off at his comments when the team from Great Britain came out and instead of focusing on the fact that London won the 2012 summer games, he just HAD to bring up what happened the day AFTER that announcement.. :shakehead thanks ****head, just what we Brits want to be reminded of...

Nice touch with the all ladies crew bringing out the Olympic flag...Peter Gabriel was magic, and the Ferrari donuts made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.... :thumbup:

TrueBrit
02-11-06, 01:35 AM
Well Obviously the opening of the Olympics is not worth the Chins time......

OOPs! You said WINTER Olympics?

Whatever..... :shakehead

I am well-known as an Olympic-sized, Gold-Medal-Winning, dirty-cheating-chopping-pointy-chinned-bastard hater, but do you think that maybe the Italian organisers had an Italian driving that Italian car in that Italian city because he was, I dunno, ITALIAN....??

devilmaster
02-11-06, 01:40 AM
I think there are two brian williams out there, yes? :confused:

[edit] yes there are.....

anait
02-11-06, 02:26 AM
I think there are two brian williams out there, yes? :confused:

Yeah, sorry for the confusion, folks...our Brian Williams is our senior CBC sportscaster...he just managed to mispronounce several seemingly simple words today, and calling them 'loops' just pushed me over the posting edge... I could just imagine Peter Mansbridge (our senior national CBC anchor) telling him off-mic to check his notes... :D

ETA: We watched the ceremonies Friday at 1pm - were they broadcast in the States at the same time, or not until prime time?

Lizzerd
02-11-06, 03:42 AM
Well, dang me... TrueBrit and I actually agree on something regarding politics? :D The apocalypse must be near! :D

Anait, the Stateside Brian Williams is a pretty boy news anchor. I wasn't aware of the Canuck version. Our BW had nothing sports-worthy to add whatsoever to the ceremony. We didn't see it until 8PM ET. Or, 9PM if you forget about the fluff pieces for the first hour.

rosawendel
02-11-06, 08:56 AM
I am well-known as an Olympic-sized, Gold-Medal-Winning, dirty-cheating-chopping-pointy-chinned-bastard hater, but do you think that maybe the Italian organisers had an Italian driving that Italian car in that Italian city because he was, I dunno, ITALIAN....??

i would have LOVED for it to be zanardi - i mean, come ON... doughnuts? zanardi? and have him pop out after and wave to the crowd?

but then again, he drove for williams, and the car came from ferrari.

TrueBrit
02-11-06, 10:47 AM
i would have LOVED for it to be zanardi - i mean, come ON... doughnuts? zanardi? and have him pop out after and wave to the crowd?

but then again, he drove for williams, and the car came from ferrari.

My daughter said the EXACT same thing...."..they should have had Zanardi do it..."

Stu
02-11-06, 03:02 PM
Yes, I agree .... some of the Camera's give a Crystal Clear Image, others are a bit off !!

A bit off? Just wait til they start showing a lot of motion. It will look like your watching streaming video on a dial up internet connection.

TKGAngel
02-11-06, 03:34 PM
Yeah, sorry for the confusion, folks...our Brian Williams is our senior CBC sportscaster...he just managed to mispronounce several seemingly simple words today, and calling them 'loops' just pushed me over the posting edge... I could just imagine Peter Mansbridge (our senior national CBC anchor) telling him off-mic to check his notes... :D

ETA: We watched the ceremonies Friday at 1pm - were they broadcast in the States at the same time, or not until prime time?

Anait, the States did not see the opening ceremonies until Friday night. I watched the CBC re-broadcast, which started a whole hour before the NBC version. The Bell Canada commercials with the two beavers are great, and better than some of the Super Bowl commercials of last week. Canada also gets the creativity points for the trapper hats their athletes wore, while the US just copied the Canadian beret look from a few years ago.

oddlycalm
02-11-06, 05:24 PM
I don't normally watch the 'limpic opening, and this year was no exception. However, Mrs. OC had it on in the kitchen however, so when passing through I would see parts of it and at times I'd get shout outs on the parts she thought signficant. Her first announcement about "dancers with lice on their heads" was a bit garbled and it turned out they actually had these miner lamp affairs on their head gear. At one point I was in for replenishment when the Golden Condom dance team ascended the 'limpic rings only to slide back down on rope. What a goat rope that was...

When the endless parade of nations began I heard a few of William's little gems. Nice to know that the last folks to host a 'limpics went bust and that the Eyetalians are part of the coalition of the willing. I was actually more interested to find out that Dumb****istan has only one athlete who lives who has lived in North Carolina for the past 43yrs, so there is a really a US connection and we should be watching him... :rolleyes:

When informed that a Ferrari F1 car was on the stand I decided to have a look through the magic of DVR. I don't mean to quible, but what was described as a "pit stop demonstration" was the six men and a laptop required to actually start said car. After assurances/apologies from the wise commentators that F1 is actually a pretty big deal if you don't live in Talladega, or some such, we learned that Schumie won 5 consecutive WDC titles in a row, nevermind that was before lost the most recent one. Shout out to Alonso... :thumbup: Anyway, the donuts were spun with nary a mention of Luca Badoer being the annonomous donuteer.

I managed to catch a moment of the Women Of Peace/Mature Beauty flag carrry team. Some will be frothing about Sarandon being there, but I was simply reminded of my discovery of Sofia Loren in 1962.... :gomer:

Anyway, none of it held a candle to the MotoGP DVD I was watching, although the Golden Condom dancers were cool.

oc

G.
02-11-06, 08:54 PM
dats all I need, oc, glad I spent my time working on the Pinewood Derby car for g.

Sofia... ahhhhh. Not bad for an ol' lady! :thumbup:

(btw, 2nd place in the Pack, for a (literally) Tank!

Sean O'Gorman
02-12-06, 01:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzf3VazUWBg

Stu
02-12-06, 09:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzf3VazUWBg

old.