PDA

View Full Version : Phobias

vancouver
02-10-06, 07:59 AM
This sounds a bit childish but here goes... and you can laugh if you want to... but...

I have an irrational fear of birds, namely pigeons. Dont know why, probably because they look dirty and are known to spread vermin. It stems from childhood, I think. I'm 20 in April and I still get freaked.

I don't freak out totally - but I do get a little uncomfortable, shall we say,
when they are around.

I hate the way they hang out in the city centre. *shudders*

In Trafalger Square in London, they are known to sit on people's heads!! :saywhat:

Though I have no problem whatsoever with spiders -like most people.

What are your phobias?

Don't worry about being childish or embarrased. I think
I just set the tone with pigeons!

I know I have been posting a lot lately, but this semester is shorter than the last - so I have more free time where I have dont have to study as much.

Sean O'Gorman
02-10-06, 08:21 AM
Drowning, and having a kid. Pregnant women scare the hell out of me, and the thought of having to put my life aside for at least 18 years is pretty scary too. That is pretty much it.

chop456
02-10-06, 08:27 AM
... having a kid. Pregnant women scare the hell out of me, and the thought of having to put my life aside for at least 18 years is pretty scary too.

Good thing you'll never have to worry about that, huh? :p

rocket
02-10-06, 09:07 AM
I was thinking Thank God no offspring.....

Only thing I have right now is an issue with heights, only under certain (structural stabiltiy) conditions though. Yeah it is kinda funny, being that I'm 6'9"

There was a boat incident when I was younger, that caused me to be scared to death of them. Nobody could figure it out, I was a strong swimmer and had no problems with water, either lake or pool, no matter what the depth. I wouldn't even get on a boat if it was on land. I tried doing that a few times, and my heart would start beating so fast I would almost pass out, like a panic attack I think. Then one day when we were up in Wisc. fishing with grams and gramps, I asked him if I could go out in the boat by myself, a small 16 ft with a 25 hp evinrude outboard on it. He double checked it with me, I popped on a life jacket, climbed in and shoved off, rowed out to the deeper water, started it up and took off....no problem, from that day on I love boating. I was 13 when I did that.

tllips
02-10-06, 09:38 AM
I never really thought I had a fear of heigts. But it takes everything I have to step on that glass floor in the CN Tower in Toronto. I've been there three or four times and my knees go week every time I get near it. I step out on the floor and cannot wait to step back off. Something about looking down at your feet and seeing the ground a thousand feet or so below you. :eek:

Then you see these twelve year old kids jumping up and down on the thing. :saywhat:

vancouver
02-10-06, 09:49 AM
I'm 6'9".

6'9''! wow! :eek: says me who is barely 5'2''!

Where do you buy your clothes - Big and Tall?

racer2c
02-10-06, 09:50 AM
Ferris wheels, roller coasters and commercial airliners. :(

RaceGrrl
02-10-06, 10:18 AM
Heights and clowns. I hate clowns.

vancouver
02-10-06, 10:19 AM
Heights and clowns. I hate clowns.

Ah, then you suffer from joeyphobia.

rabbit
02-10-06, 10:21 AM
Only thing I have right now is an issue with heights, only under certain (structural stabiltiy) conditions though. Yeah it is kinda funny, being that I'm 6'9" Ditto, (6'8" here). I am ok with heights as long as I am away from the edge. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that railings typically hit me mid-thigh, rather than waist-high, where it would hit normal people.

Ankf00
02-10-06, 10:38 AM
I used to be afraid of roller coasters, then I discovered that Six Flags serves booze :gomer: Took care of that phobia right quick.

I don't like being near the edge of tall places, like when my sister took me to picnic at Legion of Honor park in SF at the edge of some multi hundred foot cliffs at the mouth of the bay :saywhat: crazy bitch was on her tip toes on the edge bouncing up and down, "we used to do this in Nepal" :saywhat:

rosawendel
02-10-06, 11:45 AM
onions. not that i'm afraid of them, just that they're evil.

still not a big fan of flying. there's a great picture around here, somewhere of me sitting in a six-seater turboprop, as white as a ghost (if i can find it, i'll post it). what i remember most about the flight was that i had no idea what anmy of the cockpit instruments were, except the radar. and that red on the radar meant turbulence. there was a lot of turbulence that day.

Easy
02-10-06, 11:53 AM
I'm afraid that Drew Tate will break the NCAA single season interception record next year.

G.
02-10-06, 11:57 AM
Heights.

And zombies.

Man, I hate zombies! :flame:

Spicoli
02-10-06, 12:02 PM
I am scared of David Hasselhoff. :gomer:

Clicky Clicky (http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=15042)

Dr. Corkski
02-10-06, 12:38 PM
I'm afraid that Drew Tate will break the NCAA single season interception record next year.That fear is perfectly rational. :cry:

Elmo T
02-10-06, 12:44 PM
onions. not that i'm afraid of them, just that they're evil.

That is how I feel about mushrooms. I don't think I've ever fully recovered from seeing the evil mushrooms on HR Puff-N-Stuff. :shakehead To this day I don't like to even touch them. :saywhat:

Wheel-Nut
02-10-06, 12:55 PM
Needles. The thought of giving blood with the needle in your vein for 20 minutes just freaks me out.

Ankf00
02-10-06, 01:02 PM
I'm going to second the syringe part. Novocaine shots to the jaw... :eek:

TKGAngel
02-10-06, 01:30 PM
Dentists...blame it on a root canal that turned into a tooth extraction when my tooth broke.

IlliniRacer
02-10-06, 01:34 PM
marsupials

anait
02-10-06, 01:39 PM
Spiders. If I see something scurrying that might be a spider, I'm recoiling/jumping/letting out an uncontrollable yelp. I think some of it stems from a Tintin book I read as a child, where they were on this island where radioactivity made a daddy-long-legs the size of a small room...brrrrrrr..... :eek:

When we saw Return of the King in the theatre, I nearly crawled inside mr anait's shirt, Aragog freaked me out so badly...the movements, the sound of it scurrying.....

:eek: :eek:

K, I need a drink now...

skaven
02-10-06, 02:44 PM
Pigeons are foul. I hate the green piss they'd leave on Chicago sidewalks as they'd cluck around. :mad:

I used to try to drive over them in the back alleys in my Jetta. I managed to clip quite a few of the foul buggers. :thumbup:

I had a phobia of tarantulas when I was a kid after seeing "Kingdom of the Spiders." Before we moved to Florida, I would have to say out loud to myself - "There are no tarantulas in Indiana. There are no tarantulas in Indiana. There are no tarantulas in Indiana. There are no tarantulas in Indiana. There are no tarantulas in Indiana. There are no tarantulas in Indiana. There are no tarantulas in Indiana...." until I would fall asleep.

I like 'em now though. You get used to crawly things when you live in Florida. :)

vancouver
02-10-06, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=skaven
Pigeons are foul. I hate the green piss they'd leave on Chicago sidewalks as they'd cluck around. :mad:

I used to try to drive over them in the back alleys in my Jetta. I managed to clip quite a few of the foul buggers. :thumbup:QUOTE]

Nothing like a dead pigeon, eh Skaven?

Actually when I see em dead it makes me wanna throw up.

Andrew Longman
02-10-06, 03:12 PM
Off season :)

JLMannin
02-10-06, 03:23 PM
Bees, wasps, hornets. Anything big that flys and stings. And staris I can see through.

Ankf00
02-10-06, 03:46 PM
Pigeons are foul. :mad:

what are you on about? Pigeon's rock!

They just sit there, waddling and clucking in the middle of the night while you walk by and give 'em a swift kick... they plop over 3 feet down the street, and just stand there and get back to what they were doing again. for a bird that stupid to survive in such numbers... :laugh:

Dr. Corkski
02-10-06, 03:48 PM
Dentists...blame it on a root canal that turned into a tooth extraction when my tooth broke.Anti-dentite.

vancouver
02-10-06, 04:15 PM

They just sit there, waddling and clucking in the middle of the night that

middle of the night? I only ever see em in the day around lunch time.

They are a nuisance. Over here, we fine people up to £50 for feeding them.

Once I even saw 2 of them mating in broad daylight. :eek:

rabbit
02-10-06, 04:25 PM
Once I even saw 2 of them mating in broad daylight. :eek:
Pigeons? Or the people feeding them?

Ankf00
02-10-06, 04:30 PM
so kick them during the day then, you'll feel better, trust me :D

skaven
02-10-06, 04:32 PM

They just sit there, waddling and clucking in the middle of the night while you walk by and give 'em a swift kick... they plop over 3 feet down the street, and just stand there and get back to what they were doing again. for a bird that stupid to survive in such numbers... :laugh:

Some sorta convergent evolution must explain why they are so successful in urban environments. We need to re-introduce more falcons and hawks in our cities. :)

... or, pigeon saag on special every day. :D

Off season is right... it's a Friday too.

Ankf00
02-10-06, 04:44 PM
off-Friday over here :D

UT lent the city some falcons to get rid of the flying rats downtown, so the rats just moved north a couple of blocks to campus. Then UT released the falcons around campus, and so the cycle continues :rofl:

TKGAngel
02-10-06, 04:57 PM
Anti-dentite.

If you're a dentist, then I apologize, its nothing personal. I went from having a relatively simple procedure to one that caused 2 teeth (the one in question and a wisdom for good measure) to be removed. I'm just not a happy camper at the dentist.

RHR_Fan
02-10-06, 05:15 PM
Spiders used to really scare me. I still don't like them, but I can tolerate them. Clowns freak me out a little bit. Hair in the bathtub used to freak me out. I could NEVER take a bath unless there was no hair and if I'd find one I'd have my mom come and take it out.

One I still kind of have are fire drills. I don't know why, but they always freaked me out. I think since I used to have a hearing problem and once that was taken care of and I could suddenly hear that they freaked me out. I'm better now, but even senior year (which was only last year) whenever I knew there was going to be a drill I'd get tense a for the few minutes before it would happen. If I don't know about the drill and the alarm goes off, I'm fine.

~Nicole

Sean O'Gorman
02-10-06, 05:32 PM
If you're a dentist, then I apologize, its nothing personal. I went from having a relatively simple procedure to one that caused 2 teeth (the one in question and a wisdom for good measure) to be removed. I'm just not a happy camper at the dentist.

Dentist? :laugh:

Cork drives a zamboni for a living.

Easy
02-10-06, 05:50 PM
Corkski DDS

KaBoom21
02-10-06, 06:00 PM
Howard Dolan.

oddlycalm
02-10-06, 06:08 PM
Large groups or really stupid people.

oc

G.
02-10-06, 06:13 PM
Large groups or really stupid people.

ocFOR GOD'S SAKE, STAY AWAY FROM NASCAR RACES!!!

TrueBrit
02-10-06, 06:27 PM
FOR GOD'S SAKE, STAY AWAY FROM NASCAR RACES!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

trish
02-10-06, 06:34 PM
I'm afraid of insects and bugs. I won't step on them. Someone else has to do it. And I'm afraid of getting lost. I won't travel long distances unless someone is riding shotgun.

Stu
02-10-06, 06:42 PM
I'm afraid of insects and bugs. I won't step on them. Someone else has to do it. And I'm afraid of getting lost. I won't travel long distances unless someone is riding shotgun.

You know you are bigger than the bugs. I think you can take them.

trish
02-10-06, 06:50 PM
You know you are bigger than the bugs. I think you can take them.

Goo comes out when you squish them. Plus I've had feelings of guilt. :(

Ankf00
02-10-06, 07:13 PM
And I'm afraid of getting lost..

I love driving with only the faintest idea of a destination, lost but not quite, fun times :)

Sean O'Gorman
02-10-06, 07:22 PM
I love driving with only the faintest idea of a destination, lost but not quite, fun times :)

I believe they call those "DUIs."

B3RACER1a
02-10-06, 09:43 PM
Chuck Norris

http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

Stu
02-10-06, 11:02 PM
I believe they call those "DUIs."

You should know. Thats your type of woman.

Rob
02-10-06, 11:17 PM
I hate vertical ladders. Ladders that are angled aren't too bad, but I can't go more than two steps up a vertical one before I freeze. I'm also afraid of accidentally stepping on a snake, especially copperheads. Going into the woods is an ordeal for me.

I dated a girl that was afraid of moths. :laugh:

Ankf00
02-10-06, 11:30 PM

Ankf00
02-10-06, 11:31 PM
Dentist? :laugh:

Cork drives a zamboni for a living.

#1 :rofl: <---especially considering how he'll hate on everyone, but never take pride in his own team/people.

Wheel-Nut
02-11-06, 09:02 AM
off-Friday over here :D

UT lent the city some falcons to get rid of the flying rats downtown, so the rats just moved north a couple of blocks to campus. Then UT released the falcons around campus, and so the cycle continues :rofl:

UT should trap a bunch, dye their feathers orange and release them in College Station!!

Sean O'Gorman
02-11-06, 10:27 AM

Shut up, that was only three of them!!

vancouver
02-11-06, 02:11 PM
Pigeons? Or the people feeding them?

Ha ha! the pigeons!

They sorta started off kissing eachother... then rude things started to occur... ;)

The innocent children nearby were asking their mums '' Mum, why are they doing that?'' :rofl:

EDwardo
02-11-06, 02:33 PM
Pigeons covered with spiders outside the window of a dentist's office located at the top of a skyscraper......... :eek:

Stu
02-11-06, 02:59 PM
Shut up, that was only three of them!!

3 of 3

Ankf00
02-11-06, 03:05 PM
Nothin' says sweet lovin' to an O'Gorman like a rap sheet.

Sean O'Gorman
02-11-06, 06:10 PM
They could probably outdrink you, Sally.

Spicoli
02-11-06, 06:19 PM
They could probably outdrink you, Sally.

Hewy? why you not going skiing with us you nancy boy? :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
02-11-06, 06:29 PM
1) never skiied
2) no $$$
3) i hate Ank

Sean O'Gorman
02-11-06, 06:49 PM
3 of 3

Pfft, what about that homely broad your girlfriend tried to set me up with? I'm pretty sure she didn't have any DUIs.

Stu
02-11-06, 06:56 PM
Pfft, what about that homely broad your girlfriend tried to set me up with? I'm pretty sure she didn't have any DUIs.

Oh well if you are gonna count girls that you talk to for less than 1 hour, then fine, make the count 3 for 5.

And remember, it was my idea to set you guys up. I thought it would be :rofl: and it was in fact :rofl: I just can't believe you guys agreed to do it.

Sean O'Gorman
02-11-06, 06:59 PM
And remember, it was my idea to set you guys up. I thought it would be :rofl: and it was in fact :rofl: I just can't believe you guys agreed to do it.

I just needed an excuse to drink and make an ass out of myself in a new environment. :gomer: :gomer:

Stu
02-11-06, 07:06 PM
I just needed an excuse to drink and make an ass out of myself in a new environment. :gomer: :gomer:

Whats your excuse every other night of the week?

Dr. Corkski
02-11-06, 07:11 PM
3) i hate Ank+1

Stu
02-11-06, 07:41 PM

vancouver
02-13-06, 10:29 AM
So what are we saying...

Sean'O has a phobia of blind dates set up by Stu and his girlfriend? :D

Wtf is a ''homely broad''?

Stu
02-13-06, 10:45 AM
Wtf is a ''homely broad''?

Must resist temptation to post facebook picture. :eek:

vancouver
02-13-06, 10:52 AM
OK is it someone who breeds within the blood family? ;)

RaceGrrl
02-13-06, 12:21 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot this phobia of mine: people who turn perfectly good threads into college boi in-jokes.

Fortunately there is a cure for this phobia- take it to PM.

Stu
02-13-06, 12:23 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot this phobia of mine: people who turn perfectly good threads into college boi in-jokes.

Fortunately there is a cure for this phobia- take it to PM.

Sounds more like a pet peeve than a phobia. ;)

nrc
02-13-06, 12:30 PM

Sounds more like a friendly warning to me.

vancouver
02-13-06, 04:08 PM
I had a list of phobias ranging from fear of heights to sticky tape.

Sean O'Gorman
02-13-06, 05:25 PM

Sounds more like you should've taken the hint.

Sorry bosses. :o

TKGAngel
02-13-06, 05:45 PM
I had a list of phobias ranging from fear of heights to sticky tape.

Sticky tape? Like scotch, masking or duct?

Lizzerd
02-13-06, 06:04 PM
I have a phobia about being irrationally afraid of something mundane.

But seriously, I cringe at bugs that fly and sting.

I'm not really afraid of heights, but I have this recurring dream (no kidding) about being in a place very high up and not being able to get down. Like stuck in the top of a tall tree, or at the top of a 1000 foot ladder leaned up against a tall building or something, and the ladder is six feet short of the top, or I'm in a tower of some sort with a hole in the floor and the only way down was to the top of a ladder that is also about six feet short. I'm 5'9". No kidding. These are dreams that I've had, and I could go on and on about others that are similar. Any shrinks out there?

vancouver
02-14-06, 08:05 AM
Sticky tape? Like scotch, masking or duct?

Clear Sellotape. A common fear is clowns - shrinks believe that this is because there is something sisnister underneath all that happy exterior.

Personally, I think people have been watching that movie It way to many times. ;)

RaceGrrl
02-14-06, 10:11 AM
There is something sinister under the makeup and wig: John Wayne Gacy.

indyfan31
02-14-06, 10:42 AM
Funerals :shiver: