PDA

View Full Version : Playing Marco Polo

mueber
02-09-06, 08:59 AM
Wow. Discuss

Unfortunately, because of his former greatness, most people are reluctant to admit that the biggest issue with Mario’s two-faced Indy antics and reunification speeches is that his "good name" lends nothing but credibility, free PR, and invaluable promotional press to the shamvision that he otherwise shuns in favor of Champ Car’s traditional values and diversity.

http://www.deepthrottle.com/Donath/marco_polo.shtml

rabbit
02-09-06, 09:42 AM
Donath needs to quit the weed. Mario a shill? :rolleyes:

Andrew Longman
02-09-06, 10:14 AM
Does seem a little over the top. Not sure he makes his point very clearly either.

Yes, it would be better if Mario did not hang around IMS during May and for both safety and publicity reasons I hope he stays out of a car, but IMS is the only IRL event he attends.

These seem like comments he made in response to questions and he answered them honestly. He's never been shy to say that a diverse series is better than an oval series but also than any series is made better if it includes Indy. Mikey is in the IRL because of Honda money and Indy. Once that money runs out, the scales tip back to CCWS. Duh. We've been saying that too. So has Chip, PC and others privately

Mario is loyal to the sport more than any one series. In the past he's had problems with the management of both series and feels the battle to run TG out of the business is not his job.

Ed needs to chill

pchall
02-09-06, 03:52 PM
Mmmmm... donuts. Ed Donuts. Must. Not. Read.

High Sided
02-09-06, 04:44 PM
Yes, it would be better if Mario did not hang around IMS during May and for both safety and publicity reasons I hope he stays out of a car, but IMS is the only IRL event he attends.

and didn't he spend all his time last year hanging out with newman/haas's team?

Spicoli
02-09-06, 06:58 PM
Mario is just another driver when it comes to loyalty; which means he doesn't have any.

Now, before you shoot a cannon off 2 inches from my anus, he IS a legend and a great driver for sure. But why does anyone care more about him than say Lone Star J.R.? Sneva? Mears? P.T.? If he was so smart, he'd have his own team. WHAT, exactly has he ever done for CCWS except take checks and eat for free?

The sport has really changed with one exception - drivers are a dime a dozen and they will do whatever you want them to do for money. Seven of the top IRL finishers last year ain't even got a ride this year.

WHO CARES.

How much you think Mario got paid for just getting in the car at Indy 2 years ago?

Ricky Treadway drove Indy and guess what? He's still an idiot.

Andrew Longman
02-09-06, 07:19 PM
Ricky Treadway drove Indy and guess what? He's still an idiot.

And from my personal experience with Mario he is a true and gracious gentleman.

And yes I wouldn't be surprised is he got paid to be in the car at Indy. Schmuck like us have to pay for the priviledge. He's a little beyond doing it for the thrill. He's entitled to get paid for the value he creates for sponsors. They all are.

So to your point why should we care if he isn't 100% consistently and fanatically pro CCWS and anti IRL? I don't. But I care more about what he says than what Ricky Treadway says.

RichK
02-09-06, 07:38 PM
If he was so smart, he'd have his own team. WHAT, exactly has he ever done for CCWS except take checks and eat for free?

I think he's smart for NOT owning a team. He never wanted to run a team, even when he was forced to during his driving career.

He doesn't owe anything to CCWS, either.

tllips
02-09-06, 07:52 PM
Mario is just another driver when it comes to loyalty; which means he doesn't have any.

WHAT, exactly has he ever done for CCWS except take checks and eat for free?

He managed to keep Road America on the schedule in 2003. :thumbup:

Rocketdoc
02-09-06, 08:00 PM
Wow. Discuss

http://www.deepthrottle.com/Donath/marco_polo.shtml

L1P1
02-10-06, 08:15 PM
Not sure he makes his point very clearly either.

You're right. I don't even know what his point was supposed to be.

I think that over the years, Mario's has been one of the most consistant voices in and about the sport. But he's also been one of the most willing to try to create a bridge over the divide. His efforts regarding both Indy and Road America are much appreciated by this fan.