PDA

View Full Version : Identity Theft Risk Stupidity

JohnHKart
02-08-06, 05:04 AM
Last night I was at a dept store here in Whittier looking for gym shorts. As I headed over to the area where they are, I couldn't believe my ears....A man was at a cash register and the early 20s female employee was on the phone with probably a credit card company, maybe the dept store's own. She actually said out loud for everybody nearby to hear "his social is 650******" Unbelievable! I would freak out if my info was blurted out so that anybody could steal my identity. How easy would it have been for me to jot down the number into my phone....then start applying left and right for credit today or committing whatever else I could think of with my new number? So today I called the store and talked to the manager and told him what could easily have happened and that the poor guy could have sued the company for their employee's negligence and carelessness. The manager was apologetic and hopefully he will do something about it like he says he will. I don't want anybody fired, just told that this isn't acceptable. A couple of hours before this I was just watching on NBC News a story about couples trying to get out from under id theft. Situations like this don't help anybody. I should have ran outside and complained to the cop that was in the parking lot. Sheesh!

John

chop456
02-08-06, 05:39 AM
Just out of (morbid) curiosity, what do you think the cop would have done besides laugh at you?

vancouver
02-08-06, 08:35 AM
Didn't the customer protest or complain in any way at the assitant's action?

He could have said , ''hey, that's very personal information, can you be a little more discreet?'

IMO, the cashier was being very negligent. :shakehead

JohnHKart
02-08-06, 09:28 AM
No protest from the customer, alot of people are naive about things like this.

John