PDA

View Full Version : How many languages do you speak?

vancouver
02-06-06, 11:13 AM
I was looking at job ads today and most of them advertised for people who are bilingual.

I also think learning a language helps to broaden the mind.

So what can you speak?

Me;

English
Punjabi - not entirely fluent as I'd like
Survival French

I wanna learn Finnish though - it seems interesting.

RHR_Fan
02-06-06, 11:25 AM
-English
-French (though definitely not great)

I also know how to say "bless you" in a few languages.

~Nicole

Andrew Longman
02-06-06, 11:29 AM
Took 2 years of Latin and three of German. Useless

My british co-workers would contend I speak no recognizable language. :)

chop456
02-06-06, 11:30 AM
1.5, bendecko.

Night Train
02-06-06, 12:06 PM
English
Spanish (decent, but out of practice)

Sean O'Gorman
02-06-06, 12:20 PM
I'm fluent in English and I have a basic understanding of Anklish and Spicolish.

nrc
02-06-06, 01:08 PM
I wanna learn Finnish though - it seems interesting.Why is Finnish particularly interesting?

No extras for me. I just never had much interest and felt like it would be a lot of effort for something that I didn't expect to use. I wonder if it's easier to maintain fluency in a language now that the Internet offers the opportunity to see content in those other languages.

RaceGrrl
02-06-06, 01:12 PM
English, some Spanish, some Arabic, some Russian

TKGAngel
02-06-06, 01:14 PM
I speak English, know how to find the bathroom and spend money in Spanish and Italian, and can sing a Christmas carol in Polish.

I wish I knew Spanish fluently, since google translator can only do so much for you, especially in the business world.

cameraman
02-06-06, 02:03 PM
Why is Finnish particularly interesting?

It isn't related to any other language, maybe Hungarian a little but it is a very strange language.

Finns in general are the best evidence for aliens living on this planet....

Dr. Corkski
02-06-06, 02:04 PM
Engrish and 1337 sp33k.

JoeBob
02-06-06, 02:07 PM
Does Pig Latin count?

Ozarkian
02-06-06, 02:19 PM
Hillbilly English and enough Mandarin to evoke chuckles among listeners.

My 4 year-old knows more Spanish than I do.

Cam
02-06-06, 02:20 PM
-.. --- . ... -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . -.-. --- ..- -. - ..--.. :D

spinner26
02-06-06, 02:25 PM
No morris code or extra's here, just plain 'ol Enlish baby. :thumbup:

Tried learning NASCAR and IRL tounge once and puked every time I tried to speak it. :saywhat: :gomer:

fourrunner
02-06-06, 02:31 PM
English

Also people have said I "Talk out my Ass" but I'm not a Politician, and I don't recall that being a specific language !

Ankf00
02-06-06, 03:32 PM
-american, yea, you read that correctly, american, damnit!
-gujarati
-and I can understand, but can not speak, coon-ass...

I know enough spanish to survive... as in, to read a menu and make small talk :D
Took loads of Latin back in the day, all that got me was some extra SAT points after hundreds of hours of homework :saywhat:

I have to agree though, Finnish would be interesting. I mean, have y'all seen the wives of the Finnish hockey team shown on tv during international tournaments? :eek: *drool* :)

vancouver
02-06-06, 03:39 PM
Why is Finnish particularly interesting?

No intelligent explanation but here goes;

Ok well here's the truth...I wanna go over to Finland and get me someone cute like Kimi or marry a rich racing driver - should be OK if I can get someone in the WRC! ;)

Seriously, I have always been interested long before the arrival of Kimi et al on the motorsports scene.

I hear it is similar to Dutch. I know it's a difficult language but I'll reckon it will look good on my resume when applying for jobs after uni.

Its also a ''niche'' language to learn so I'll have on up on my friends. :D

vancouver
02-06-06, 03:41 PM
-gujarati

Gujarati - thats a hell of language

I can only get by in very basic day to day punjabi

Although I can understand Hindi a little.

rabbit
02-06-06, 03:43 PM
I hear it is similar to Dutch. I know it's a difficult language but I'll reckon it will look good on my resume when applying for jobs after uni.There are two things I hate in this world: people who are intolerant of other cultures... and the Dutch.

cameraman
02-06-06, 04:23 PM
Dutch is nothing like Finnish

English : Finnish : Dutch

house : talo : huis
tree : puu : boom
cloud : pilvi : wolk
cat : kissa : kattekop
dog : koira : hond
airplane : lentokone : vliegmachine
boat : laiva : boot
sit : istua : broeden op
eat : syödä : gebruiken
sleep: nukkua : slapen
debris : pirstaleet : puin

tllips
02-06-06, 04:27 PM
Dutch is nothing like Finnish

English : Finnish : Dutch
cat : kissa : kattekop

At least these three are alliterative.

indyfan31
02-06-06, 04:34 PM
English and Spanish. And for 10 days last november, I could read Greek ... but didn't have a clue what I was reading. :D

Dirty Sanchez
02-06-06, 04:45 PM
Dutch is nothing like Finnishso true... Dutch is Germanic. Finnish is Uralic. but they both sound retarded :laugh:

was always curious why so many Fins attended the Hungarian Grand Prix during Mika's run. then I found out that Hungary is geographically closer to Finland... and their languages are actually quite similar.

stroker
02-06-06, 04:58 PM
What about Klingon?

eiregosod
02-06-06, 05:01 PM
Fluent in English and Gaelic.

I have some rudimentary German & French. It would have been better for me if I made more of an effort to get a better grasp of German.

I also studied latin. once you get an understanding of the mechanics of latin, all the BS grammer rules in every language are easy to understand.

I refuse to convert to txtspk.

JohnHKart
02-06-06, 06:35 PM
English, Spanish and German. I'm getting better in Spanish after three classes in the past 4 years. What really cracks me up is I started watching spanish tv to practice and now I have favorite shows I watch on Telemundo and favorite actresses. I've had the pleasure of meeting many of the personalities on Telemundo including two of my favorite actresses. The German is from two years of high school german. And it's been put to good use on two trips to that place. I find it comes back rapidly as I get ready for those trips.

John

Rob
02-07-06, 12:43 AM
I speak English, plus a little French and Spanish. I took 4 years of French in high school, and in my senior year I also took Spanish. I've had more opportunities to use my Spanish, so I've retained about equal amounts of each.

Tony George
02-07-06, 01:21 AM
I can speak and understand gomer. :gomer:

Robstar
02-07-06, 01:31 AM
Engrish and 1337 sp33k.

Same here...

rosawendel
02-07-06, 12:09 PM
english
autocad

eiregosod
02-07-06, 03:55 PM
Harry Secome: "How are you at mathematics?"
Spike Milligan: "I speak it like a native!"

DjDrOmusic
02-07-06, 04:35 PM
English, very little Hungarian, very little Japanese, Pittsburghese and Central Appalach-hio, spoken mostly on the West side of CBus!! :D

racer2c
02-07-06, 05:39 PM
I speak the language of love. :)

ChampcarShark
02-07-06, 05:51 PM
Here it goes,

English,
Spanish,
Spanglish,
Mexican

and sometimes I do not even recall my name in any language.

Ankf00
02-07-06, 06:04 PM
Does the dialect of Corporate Douchebaginese count?

G.
02-07-06, 06:13 PM
Does the dialect of Corporate Douchebaginese count?Only when all of your paradigms have been shifted. :gomer:

English
Fortran
tiny bit of Spanish.

eiregosod
02-07-06, 06:30 PM
Does the dialect of Corporate Douchebaginese count?

you really wanna be proud about how corporate dictum is wasting your brains away :p

Ankf00
02-07-06, 06:58 PM
you really wanna be proud about how corporate dictum is wasting your brains away :p

No, I was just trying to pad OGorman's language count. He's a company man now. :gomer: