PDA

View Full Version : I drove by Flemington Speedway today...

Andrew Longman
02-03-06, 12:39 PM
...NOT

Its gone. Bulldozed this week to make room for a Walmart and Lowes.

Its been closed since 2000 but it made me very sad to see it actually gone. Now just a huge open field.

Many a great Saturday night did I spend there over the last 30+ years. My oldest son and daughter went to their first races there.

Until it closed it was supposedly the oldest continuously operating racetrack in the country dating back to 1915. The covered grandstand was an national historic building. The agricultural fair on the site was held there since the 1700s.

Trenton, Nazareth (twice), East Winsdor, Langhorne, Reading, now Flemington. Another one bites the dust. :cry:

dando
02-03-06, 02:15 PM
...NOT

Its gone. Bulldozed this week to make room for a Walmart and Lowes.

Its been closed since 2000 but it made me very sad to see it actually gone. Now just a huge open field.

Many a great Saturday night did I spend there over the last 30+ years. My oldest son and daughter went to their first races there.

Until it closed it was supposedly the oldest continuously operating racetrack in the country dating back to 1915. The covered grandstand was an national historic building. The agricultural fair on the site was held there since the 1700s.

Trenton, Nazareth (twice), East Winsdor, Langhorne, Reading, now Flemington. Another one bites the dust. :cry:

There's still hope...that NASCAB will get their track on Long Isle. :saywhat:

-Kevin <== waiting for the weeds to grow @ MO. :(

oddlycalm
02-03-06, 03:31 PM
We lost a great dirt 1/2 mile here a couple years ago that had been in operation for over 50yrs. Now the closest World of Outlaws races is on a crappy 1/4 mile track 120mi away. The salvation of permanent road courses has been the rental income from the car clubs, but ovals don't have anything other than the weekly races for income with maybe a big race or two each season, so the real estate ends up being worth a lot more than the race track is. :(

oc

Andrew Longman
02-03-06, 03:31 PM
There's still hope...that NASCAB will get their track on Long Isle. :saywhat:

-Kevin <== waiting for the weeds to grow @ MO. :(

Actually Staten Island. And I won't go. The Glen is about it for me and NASCAR.

Sure I prefer waking up trackside at RA, but what I miss is being able to drive 15 minutes on a Saturday night, plunk down $10 for a ticket, kids are free, bring my own food and beer, sit with the same "regulars", and watch the local heros have some fun.

Since 2000 if I want to do anything like that I have to drive hours to Williams Grove or New Egypt or Bridgeport or Wall. And they're all under pressure. The NASCAR monster puts so much racing on TV that too few feel the need to see it locally. At least that's what the Flemington owners said.

oddlycalm
02-03-06, 04:55 PM
The NASCAR monster puts so much racing on TV that too few feel the need to see it locally. At least that's what the Flemington owners said. No doubt in my mind. I've seen NASCAR as a threat to all racing for some time now. The Frances want to be the only racing outlet and they are well on their way to getting there. The TG brainfart in 95 played into their hands, the recession pruned the field further, and now the saturation television is the cleanup act. :shakehead

Surprisingly, I have some friends that are long time NASCAR fans that feel the same way. Monopolies don't have to worry about their customers, and NASCAR is no exception. Seeing historic tracks like Rockingham replaced by cookie cutter ISC venues in big urban (read Northern) markets isn't bringing cheer to the longtime fans.

oc

pchall
02-03-06, 05:28 PM
No doubt in my mind. I've seen NASCAR as a threat to all racing for some time now. The Frances want to be the only racing outlet and they are well on their way to getting there. The TG brainfart in 95 played into their hands, the recession pruned the field further, and now the saturation television is the cleanup act. :shakehead

oc

The France family do seem to want ever motorsports entertainment dollar to be theirs. Too bad they have turned NASCAR into crap. I used to like the stockers. :(

Elmo T
02-07-06, 09:16 AM
Speaking of lost NJ speedways, here is one that was new to me. There are some great old photos.

Amatol Speedway (http://www.amusementparknostalgia.com/amatol.html)

Andrew Longman
02-07-06, 10:46 AM
Speaking of lost NJ speedways, here is one that was new to me. There are some great old photos.

Amatol Speedway (http://www.amusementparknostalgia.com/amatol.html)

Wow. thanks. I never knew about that. There are many ghost towns buried down there in the Pine Barrens but all that I know about are much older.

There is a lot of open land down there, most of it preserved, but given the proximaty to Philly and even NY I always thought it was a logical place for a track, but only Atco dragway is now there (and it just a weekend warrior strip).

There is talk of putting a road course in south Jersey not far from Hammonton. It would be similar to VIR in it business model. That would be exciting.