PDA

View Full Version : IRL status at TMS unclear

SurfaceUnits
02-02-06, 12:51 AM
TMS might not host a race in 2007 because of schedule changes

04:16 AM CST on Tuesday, January 31, 2006

By TERRY BLOUNT and CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News

The IRL has raced at Texas Motor Speedway since it opened in 1997, but the future of the series at the Fort Worth facility is uncertain after this year.

"I hope they'll be back," said TMS president Eddie Gossage. "I really do. I want them back. But we have to see a lot of things. One is will there be any effect on us by no longer being the race after the Indy 500."

The IRL will race at Watkins Glen, N.Y., one week after the Indianapolis 500, before racing the next weekend at TMS. Gossage also said he has concerns about Honda being the only engine manufacturer in the series.

"We don't know what impact that will have on competition," Gossage said. "It also changes the financial model we've had to work with in the past.

But don't take those things to be critical. I'm not taking shots. I'm simply saying we have to see how things play out. And I still say Indy cars at Texas Motor Speedway are the greatest racing you'll ever see."

Toyota, Chevy exit levels IRL field: The departure of Toyota and Chevrolet that leaves Honda as the only supplier for the IRL could be a break for Team Penske, which competed with the underpowered Toyota engine last season.

"It comes down to drivers, teams and luck," Penske driver Sam Hornish said.

Hornish's name surfaced last season as a possible replacement for Rusty Wallace in Penske's NASCAR operation.

"I'm pretty big on saying that I'm never going to say never," Hornish said. "I think there's a lot of opportunity over there, but there are still things I'd like to accomplish over here."

Foyt ready for move to Busch Series: A.J. Foyt IV, the grandson of perhaps the most famous American driver, was ready for a change.

Three years in the IRL had taught him what could go wrong. That prompted a switch from open-wheel racing to NASCAR's Busch Series with Evernham Motorsports. Owner Ray Evernham has played a key role in the careers of drivers such as Jeff Gordon and Kasey Kahne. In three IRL seasons, Foyt never finished higher than ninth, and he suffered two jarring crashes last season.

"It didn't go too well," Foyt said. "We showed some light at some of the tracks, but most of the time it was dark for us."

chop456
02-02-06, 02:28 AM
"It also changes the financial model we've had to work with in the past."

What on Earth could that mean? :gomer:

Accipiter
02-02-06, 11:44 AM
Aren't they pretty much the only track that actually pays the IRL a sanction fee? If so, they might be angling for TG to pick up the financial burden to continue running at the track.

And anyway, with two Cup races now, they really don't need the IRL anymore, do they?

Andrew Longman
02-02-06, 11:54 AM
"It also changes the financial model we've had to work with in the past."

What on Earth could that mean? :gomer:

I believe Chevy sponsored the race. And Toyota and Chevy (and their local dealers) used the event for promotion. And they bought lots of tickets to give away.

So their financial model now requires that they actually sell enough tickets to real fans to cover the sanctioning fee.

Different model :)

Spicoli
02-02-06, 12:03 PM
I believe Chevy sponsored the race. And Toyota and Chevy (and their local dealers) used the event for promotion. And they bought lots of tickets to give away.

So their financial model now requires that they actually sell enough tickets to real fans to cover the sanctioning fee.

Different model :)

And one that - LIKELY - will not work. Oval OW racing is dead. Face it.

[wilkE mode]

But what about KK & JDSU!?

[/wilke mode]

Methanolandbrats
02-02-06, 12:10 PM
"I hope they'll be back," said TMS president Eddie Gossage. "I really do :rofl: That's what they always say before "I'm sorry, but there is nothing I can do" IRL at Texas is over.

Cam
02-02-06, 12:34 PM
Score -1 Redundant:

IRL status at IMS unclear. :p

Andrew Longman
02-02-06, 12:52 PM
Score -1 Redundant:

IRL status at IMS unclear. :p

Pretty clear to me that the status is very clear. In 07 they are either running CCWS specs or they are running Nextel Cup specs. I suppose they might be running Silver Crown specs. OK, that's three possibilities. I guess that IS pretty unclear. :gomer:

Steve99
02-02-06, 03:48 PM
Pretty clear to me that the status is very clear. In 07 they are either running CCWS specs or they are running Nextel Cup specs. I suppose they might be running Silver Crown specs. OK, that's three possibilities. I guess that IS pretty unclear. :gomer:
Plus it seems to be unclear what the new Silver Crown specs really are (based on problems at Copper Classic). :)

cart7
02-02-06, 04:46 PM
An insider over at TF has been talking up this Gossage/irl relationship for the past couple years, it's been on shakey ground for quite some time. My guess is Eddie is angling for a much reduced sanction fee, or no fee at all. Say goodnight Texas. :gomer:

trauma1
02-02-06, 04:49 PM
And one that - LIKELY - will not work. Oval OW racing is dead. Face it.

[wilkE mode]

But what about KK & JDSU!?

[/wilke mode]
crackforum is still throwing around thier wild ass accusations on kk, thier alittle gunshy taalking about argent

ChrisB
02-02-06, 08:22 PM
Aren't they pretty much the only track that actually pays the IRL a sanction fee? If so, they might be angling for TG to pick up the financial burden to continue running at the track.

The way I've always seen it, the IRL series is essentially a promotional tour for the Indy 500. I've often wondered if the sanction fee the IMS pays to the tracks for the IRL series races (outside of the 500) are expensed on the IMS books as "promotional/marketing" expenses for the 500. Really.

eiregosod
02-02-06, 09:21 PM

The way I've always seen it, the IRL series is essentially a promotional tour for the Indy 500. I've often wondered if the sanction fee the IMS pays to the tracks for the IRL series races (outside of the 500) are expensed on the IMS books as "promotional/marketing" expenses for the 500. Really.

All IMS book-keeping is for the Hulman-George families /George/Krisiloff etc.. to go over.

to make things more complicated , any TFer will tell you that the EARL gets a sanctioning fee. If that is so, I wonder where the prizemoeny at $1million per race is coming from? I would not be surprised if there was some rotation of monis to make the IRL look profitable and to be a commercial success.

eiregosod
02-02-06, 09:24 PM
crackforum is still throwing around thier wild ass accusations on kk, thier alittle gunshy taalking about argent

the gomers are very concerned about the money lost by the JDSU investors. As regards to people losing their houses over the lending practices of Argent, the gomers couldnt care less if the equity from a few Joe Blows was gobbled up by Argent then fed back into Danica Rahal's IRL team.

There should be little signs outside the houses of the dispossessed that say: This House Helps fund the IRL.