PDA

View Full Version : OK. IT's February...

NismoZ
02-01-06, 04:23 PM
If CC is going to debut the new Swift/Cosworth Atlantic car on Valentine's Day do you think the series primary sponsor may be named as well? Would make sense, I guess. I was a little concerned when Red Bull was named recently as a NASCAB team sponsor because I was hoping they were IT for Atlantics. No reason to believe they still can't be, but I wonder. Hope it's a good one.

rosawendel
02-01-06, 04:46 PM
i thought i remembered hearing that they wanted to spread out announcements, to "keep the good news flowing"...

cameraman
02-01-06, 04:52 PM
It is supposed to be a four hour event.
They will need quite a bit to fill that much time.

NismoZ
02-01-06, 06:16 PM
Spread the announcements? That's kind of what I meant...It's FEBRUARY so let the announcements begin! Pray God they have some to make! (I have a T-shirt that says "God give me patience...but please HURRY!" Kinda how I feel right now. :) )

SurfaceUnits
02-05-06, 11:16 AM
Colourful award for new series.

The company entrusted with carrying out the graphical and paint work on this year's Champ Car Atlantic Championship contenders, Sherwin-Williams, has launched a new, somewhat unique incentive scheme for the 2006 season.

The Sherwin-Williams Atlantic Design Award will reward teams for their car's use of colour and creativity. At eight select events in 2006, Sherwin-Williams representatives will team with race fans to judge the liveries of all the competing Atlantic cars at that weekend's race. The judges will then select a winner and that team will be awarded a $4,000 prize on behalf of Sherwin-Williams. The car deemed to have the best livery throughout the course of the 12-race Atlantic season will also be honoured with the year-end Atlantic Design Award.

Sherwin-Williams will present a $10,000 prize and a trophy to the team that has the top car design in 2006. The winning car will be on display at the annual Champ Car Atlantic Championship season-ending banquet on Sunday October 8th after the final race of the season at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin.

The Cleveland, Ohio-based company will also provide paints, finishes and associated products to the Champ Car Fast Lap Pace Car Programme with the new relationship.

"The Sherwin-Williams Design Award will certainly add more colour and excitement to the Champ Car Atlantic Championship," said Vicki O'Connor, Managing Director of the Champ Car Atlantic Championship. "We're excited to see some of the creative designs that our teams will come up with for the honour of winning the award and we're looking forward to having some of the best-looking cars in racing."

http://pix.crash.net/view/162458.jpg

NismoZ
02-13-06, 06:12 PM
If we are to believe that at 300hp the little Cossie is stressed to the max, why didn't they just slap a turbo on a smaller one to achieve the same figure? Is that a lot more expensive or something?

cameraman
02-13-06, 06:28 PM
Mind clueing us in about what you are talking about?

Easy
02-14-06, 10:38 AM
If we are to believe that at 300hp the little Cossie is stressed to the max, why didn't they just slap a turbo on a smaller one to achieve the same figure? Is that a lot more expensive or something?

Yes

NismoZ
02-14-06, 12:37 PM
C-man, I was only referring to a report on the Atlantic engine development by the guy in charge of the program where he detailed all the changes needed to make the thing reliable. He alluded to the fact that at 300hp it was right on the edge of it's potential. With all the euphoria over the coming announcement I guess I remembered that as something to be concerned about. Knowing as little as I do about engine technology I just wondered why a smaller turbocharged engine was not used to achieve the same/desired hp figure. The only thing I could think of was cost. The "yes" answer above verifies that?

cameraman
02-14-06, 01:20 PM
Ya might link to the story so the rest of us would at least have a hint as to what you are referring to...

NismoZ
02-14-06, 02:07 PM
If I had the link I'd do it. I believe it was on the CCWS site a few weeks ago as a sort of progress report. Don't know how to explain it any more clearly. What do you know about the engine? It isn't all new is it? Reference was made to all kinds of internals that needed to be replaced and strengthened to make it live at 300hp and that was not an easy thing to do. I'll go back and look around. Sorry if you feel frustrated or inconvenienced.

NismoZ
02-14-06, 03:11 PM
Yep, Kirby's Inside Track, Dec. 6, '05. Longish but certainly worth a read if you missed it before.

NismoZ
02-14-06, 03:28 PM
OK, Legge's in (we guess) but what about that promised Atlantic series sponsor? After rumors that it would be Red Bull anything else might be a disappointment. Fingers crossed. (What if the Legge announcement is just to cover for no series sponsor... :eek: