PDA

View Full Version : 245 foot huck

Spicoli
02-01-06, 02:57 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=157366 <<<story has video link on right.

& no p-shop. Jamie St. Pierre did this in Jackson Hole/Targhee a couple days ago. And lived.

http://media.bonnint.net/slc/1/110/11046.jpg

http://www.skipressworld.com/images/daily_news/2006/01/ski%20press%20-%20jamie%20pierre.jpg

:saywhat: :eek:

cameraman
02-01-06, 03:28 PM
The putz landed on his head, straight in like a lawn dart. His skis stayed on and acted as brakes keeping him from drilling straight thru the snow to the rock.

Methanolandbrats
02-01-06, 03:46 PM
A true act of faith would be to jump in August. Only then will God accept him as a true believer. What's this guys email, I'd like to point that out. :D

Spicoli
02-01-06, 04:18 PM
A true act of faith would be to jump in August. Only then will God accept him as a true believer. What's this guys email, I'd like to point that out. :D

:rofl:

no shnit. damn holy rollers. ;)

G.
02-01-06, 11:21 PM
on Discovery channel right now is a dude going down a 1500 ft. mesa on a bike.

Stunt Junkies it's called.

I like pillows. And things that don't kill me. Like 1500 ft cliffs.

Meh.

Andrew Longman
02-02-06, 11:24 AM
In college, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, we'd regularly climb onto the roof of our three story dorm and jump into the snow. 300" of snow each winter made for a "relatively" soft landing. It all seemed like great fun to a 19 year old at 2 am with a belly full of beer until someone hit a No Parking sign buried in the snow. Shattered his leg. :shakehead

Methanolandbrats
02-02-06, 11:27 AM
In college, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, we'd regularly climb onto the roof of our three story dorm and jump into the snow. 300" of snow each winter made for a "relatively" soft landing. It all seemed like great fun to a 19 year old at 2 am with a belly full of beer until someone hit a No Parking sign buried in the snow. Shattered his leg. :shakeheadWere you in Houghton? Man I love that area. I had to shoot a job in March north of there. I needed a phone and the only way into the booth was to dig down to it and reach inside hanging upside down :D

pchall
02-02-06, 12:11 PM
I like skiing. I want to ski until my knees give out even if I have to give up the moguls.

But, OMFG -- that guy is holding on to the short end of Darwin's stick.

Andrew Longman
02-02-06, 12:57 PM
Were you in Houghton? Man I love that area. I had to shoot a job in March north of there. I needed a phone and the only way into the booth was to dig down to it and reach inside hanging upside down :D

No, Marquette at Northern Meechigaan University. Better hockey and more girls than Tech. :D And Houghton gets even more snow. There is a telephone pole on the way into town that has a line near the top that shows their snowfall record. Shocking.

G.
02-02-06, 03:01 PM
No, Marquette at Northern Meechigaan University. Better hockey and more girls than Tech. :D And Houghton gets even more snow. There is a telephone pole on the way into town that has a line near the top that shows their snowfall record. Shocking.bring a shovel (http://www.pasty.com/snow/index.html)

Andrew Longman
02-02-06, 03:25 PM
bring a shovel (http://www.pasty.com/snow/index.html)

That's it! Amazing. Haven't been to Houghton in about 20 years.

I was there that record year of 78-79. First time in recorded history all five Great Lakes froze all the way across. In Marquette it did not get above zero F for 8 weeks IIRC. Loved every minute of it.

Thanks

BTW if you're ever in the area stop by the Hilltop Restaurant linked on that UP page. Famous for their Cinnimmon Buns. Big as your head. No kidding. Served with a pound of butter. :D

http://www.sweetroll.com/legacy.html

oddlycalm
02-02-06, 06:24 PM
that record year of 78-79. First time in recorded history all five Great Lakes froze all the way across. In Marquette it did not get above zero F for 8 weeks IIRC. Loved every minute of it. Was that the year before global warming hit...? :confused: :D

We used to make a lot of UP jokes but I always thought the Houghton/Hancock area was just great. Spent time around there as a kid. Here's a link to some nice UP winter shots (http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mqt/webpics/snowpics/gallery.php) including some of Tahquamenon Falls nearly frozen over.

oc

G.
02-02-06, 11:55 PM
For about 5 years or so, a group of us went up to da UP every summer. Once was on the 4th of July weekend. It was wonderful! Temps were around 85 degrees, sunny, green, awesome. Stopped at a store for supplies (beer), the dude informed us that it was a great time to be there, since the snow finally melted the previous week.

(found out he meant the snow at the local landfill, since you can't just plow the stuff away, you gotta move the stuff in dump trucks. They dump it in the landfill.)

I have too many stories about the Keweenaw Pen. Some of which, the statute of limitations comes into play.

No felonies, mind you. :thumbup:

Anyone been to the Q house in Houghton/Hancock? The museum place? On the North hill? We had to stay there one summer trip. It was weird, all these college kids, showing up to say, "I used to live here, can I use your phone?". They would walk in, assuming it was occupied by a bunch of students, see us (with major firearms scattered about. Hey, we had a lot of fun up there!)

The houses have entry doors on the second floors. Am I lying?

Andrew Longman
02-03-06, 10:31 AM
In Marquette they dump the snow in the lake. One persistent memory of winter there is the constant background "beep-beep-beep" sound of frontloaders moving piles of snow into dumptrucks. It's something you seemed to hear night and day.

And yes many houses have a second front door on the second floor (mine did in MQT), along with a wooden "walkway" that goes on top of the snow and down to the street.

My wife grew up in San Juan and never believed it until I took her to Houghton (on the way to Isle Royale) and she saw it for herself.

Methanolandbrats
02-03-06, 10:37 AM
In Marquette they dump the snow in the lake. One persistent memory of winter there is the constant background "beep-beep-beep" sound of frontloaders moving piles of snow into dumptrucks. It's something you seemed to hear night and day.

And yes many houses have a second front door on the second floor (mine did in MQT), along with a wooden "walkway" that goes on top of the snow and down to the street.

My wife grew up in San Juan and never believed it until I took her to Houghton (on the way to Isle Royale) and she saw it for herself.Ya, and people have to shovel off their roofs so the house does'nt collapse. Also have to dig tunnels down to the windows to get light. :D

chop456
02-03-06, 12:20 PM
(on the way to Isle Royale)

Awesome. :thumbup: I did an 8-day there in '04.

Pie Island taken from the top of the Greenstone Ridge (http://home.wi.rr.com/chop456/Isle%20Royale%20'04%20049.jpg)

Andrew Longman
02-03-06, 04:06 PM
Awesome. :thumbup: I did an 8-day there in '04.

Pie Island taken from the top of the Greenstone Ridge (http://home.wi.rr.com/chop456/Isle%20Royale%20'04%20049.jpg)

I have been to Isle Royale five time (maybe more, some trips have blurred). Its my favorite place on the planet. First time was for 27 days. I was actually paid minimum wage to backpack as part of a research project for a professor in college. I studied how the proximity of other campers effected their sense of wilderness (wilderness being a state of mind as well as a habitat) Best summer job I ever had.

Wow, this thread has really derailed.

G.
02-03-06, 04:35 PM
Where we go, up dair, eh, was a guy living by himself, that had not spoken to another human being for 1.5 years. My buddy and his cousin took the boat across the (small) lake to hike in the woods. They stumbled upon the hermit. All involved scared the crap outta each other. :laugh:

And, as far as hijax, Spikky gets a payback. ;)

chop456
02-03-06, 05:01 PM
I have been to Isle Royale five time (maybe more, some trips have blurred). Its my favorite place on the planet. First time was for 27 days. I was actually paid minimum wage to backpack as part of a research project for a professor in college. I studied how the proximity of other campers effected their sense of wilderness (wilderness being a state of mind as well as a habitat) Best summer job I ever had.

Wow, this thread has really derailed.

Nice. :thumbup:

I've only been once, but my wife has done it 3 or 4 times and my father-in-law at least 10. We went over Memorial Day weekend and had the campsites to ourselves except for Windigo, Island Mine, moskey Basin and Three-Mile. We did Windigo to Rock Harbor. The nights it got into the 20's, I started to realize why no one else was there. :gomer:

Derailing Spikkly threads rules.

Spicoli
02-03-06, 05:03 PM
Where we go, up dair, eh, was a guy living by himself, that had not spoken to another human being for 1.5 years. My buddy and his cousin took the boat across the (small) lake to hike in the woods. They stumbled upon the hermit. All involved scared the crap outta each other. :laugh:

And, as far as hijax, Spikky gets a payback. ;)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........Whistler!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/rbtree/Whistler%20Jan%2029-30%202005/_MG_8518-1.jpg

Andrew Longman
02-03-06, 05:11 PM
Nice. :thumbup:

I've only been once, but my wife has done it 3 or 4 times and my father-in-law at least 10. We went over Memorial Day weekend and had the campsites to ourselves except for Windigo, Island Mine, moskey Basin and Three-Mile. We did Windigo to Rock Harbor. The nights it got into the 20's, I started to realize why no one else was there. :gomer:

Derailing Spikkly threads rules.

My favorites are the north shore of Lake Desor and Todd Harbor on the Minong Trail. A lot less crowded than the Greenstone.

My next visit I'd like to do with a sea kayak and explore some of the more remote islands.

Must be something about the place because I run into a lot of people who've been there many, many times. There is a GM engineer I've run into an the island I think three times, which seem remarkable except he claims to have been there more than 30 times. Odds are pretty good then.

Methanolandbrats
02-03-06, 05:43 PM
Fun to kick back there, only one rule, don't piss off a moose or you will die :D

chop456
02-03-06, 05:47 PM
We stayed a night at the South shore of Lake Desor. That's the only place we heard wolves. Stopped to rest one day at Todd Harbor and almost froze to death. It's true what you say about people being religious about the place. I've never been anywhere like it, to be sure. Found a moose skeleton and 2 live ones, one of which waited to jump up until I was about 10 feet away from it. I'd gone nearly 30 years without wetting my pants, too. :D

Damn M&B posted his moose comment while I was typing.

Methanolandbrats
02-03-06, 05:50 PM
I'd gone nearly 30 years without wetting my pants, too. :D

That's impressive for a race fan who camps at the track and enjoys an occasional beer :D

Ankf00
02-03-06, 06:06 PM
I too support this hijack spickly thread endevour. :thumbup:

Spicoli
02-03-06, 06:11 PM
http://www.justicejunction.com/Assets/bleethmugshot.JPG

oh yeah?

howz about a yasmine bleeth mugshot! ;)

Andrew Longman
02-03-06, 06:13 PM
Most important thing is to not to get between a cow and her calf. The bulls are pretty tame except during rutt season. (many of us are that way)

I've only heard wolves in the SW part of the park near Feltdmann Ridge and once near Moskey Basin. They are pretty shy around people and that's the least traveled part of the park.

I once had a moose visit my campsite at about 2am. He was very sick with (I'm guessing) a pretty advanced infection of flukes in his lungs. Nothing like a 1000 pound animal weazing and gurgling heavily next to your head in the middle of the night to freak you out.

On another trip I was there with my then girlfriend and, being rutt season, she decided to try making moose calls. But she had no idea what a moose sounded like. She starts making this grunting noise and don't you know this grunting sound starts coming back from across this narrow inlet. After a few minutes of going back and forth this bull appears out of the woods at the waters edge. He gave us what I took to be a very confused and disappointed look and returned to the woods. My girlfriend would have to settle for me, which a few years later she decided against :gomer:

Ankf00
02-03-06, 06:51 PM
um... yea, never dated a chick who could do cow calls, but I hear there's a big demand for them kind in College Station :gomer: Something to do with the "Save The Livestock, End Beastiality Now" program...

Andrew Longman
02-03-06, 10:42 PM
um... yea, never dated a chick who could do cow calls, but I hear there's a big demand for them kind in College Station :gomer: Something to do with the "Save The Livestock, End Beastiality Now" program...

Um you're right. Too much information. Just leave it that it took this naive soul too long to realize that it wasn't my particular manhood she was interested in. She was happy with any.

Heard recently that she finally got married. Pity the fool.