PDA

View Full Version : AIM (AOL Instant Messsaging)

JLMannin
02-01-06, 10:42 AM
Is this something I should try to avoid like the black plauge or not? My son (age 11.9) wants to create an AIM account to chat with a buddy of his. Is this program going to be a conduit for viruses (or virii?), spam, malware and other not-nice stuff? I have a hardware firewall router and run Norton Internet Security 2006)

Is this something I should avoid, or am I being too cautious?

Thanks.

spinner26
02-01-06, 11:04 AM
My sixteen yo uses it and we have had no problems. I was more scared of myspace and still nothing so, for us it hasn't been a big deal. BTW, I use Mozilla, don't know if thats helping me or not, along with Ad-Aware SE Personal.

Ankf00
02-01-06, 11:07 AM
I've been using it since I was 15, as were most of my friends in HS...

12 seems young to me, but not like I'm a dad so wtf do I know? as for the program, all it does is send html script back and forth real-time. just tell him not to click ANY random links from anyone without asking what it is first (that's the most common virus trick on AIM but it doesn't happen very often) and make sure his profile isn't searchable in the aim directory so spammers and 82 year old freaks can't stalk him. And dont accepts file transfers from anyone...

JLMannin
02-01-06, 01:18 PM
When I register, do I have to give an E-mail address? Can it be a web-based e-mail?

I also run Adaware SE and Spybot scans every couple weeks. I've educated both kids that use the computer to never click anything without asking first, and my wife or I must be in the house when they are on-line. Most of the time, they go to Nick.com and watch cartoons and play some of the nicktoons games. They are 12 and 9.

I've been using it since I was 15, as were most of my friends in HS...

12 seems young to me, but not like I'm a dad so wtf do I know? as for the program, all it does is send html script back and forth real-time. just tell him not to click ANY random links from anyone without asking what it is first (that's the most common virus trick on AIM but it doesn't happen very often) and make sure his profile isn't searchable in the aim directory so spammers and 82 year old freaks can't stalk him. And dont accepts file transfers from anyone...

Methanolandbrats
02-01-06, 01:25 PM
My kids have used it all through middle school. It has replaced the telephone to a large extent. I run Avast AV in addition to Norman and Avast caught the few virus' embedded in IM. Avast is a great shareware AV program.

Ankf00
02-01-06, 03:47 PM
yea, I have my AIM accounts registered to my hotmail, it doesn't have to be a pop email account...

again make sure in their aim profile the checkmark box for "viewable" or "searchable" or whatever isn't marked, that way only their friends who know their handles can contact them...

Dr. Corkski
02-01-06, 05:00 PM
The question you want to ask yourself is: "Do you want your kids to end up like Ank?" :gomer:

mapguy
02-01-06, 05:37 PM
The question you want to ask yourself is: "Do you want your kids to end up like Ank?" :gomer:

http://www.owned.com/Owned_Pictures/stayalertowned.jpg.jpg

Sean O'Gorman
02-01-06, 05:37 PM

Heh, most of the teenagers I know that use AIM make Ank look like a poet laureate. Nothing is more annoying than getting an IM from one of my cousins with "r u goin2midohio 2mora". :shakehead

Wheel-Nut
02-01-06, 05:43 PM
Well r u?

Ankf00
02-01-06, 05:50 PM
OMG. i cant b-leve he wud say dat 2 u!!

14 year old high school girls online (and apparently OGorman's rellies) are the bane of the english language.

In somewhat related news: Cork remains the bane of Twinkie & Little Debbie stockpiles world-round.

Dr. Corkski
02-01-06, 06:55 PM
Heh, most of the teenagers I know that use AIM make Ank look like a poet laureate. Nothing is more annoying than getting an IM from one of my cousins with "r u goin2midohio 2mora". :shakeheadomg lolz 2 u

B3RACER1a
02-01-06, 07:15 PM
Hlp noob plz w AIM??

:rofl:

dando
02-01-06, 07:29 PM
Is this something I should try to avoid like the black plauge or not? My son (age 11.9) wants to create an AIM account to chat with a buddy of his. Is this program going to be a conduit for viruses (or virii?), spam, malware and other not-nice stuff? I have a hardware firewall router and run Norton Internet Security 2006)

Is this something I should avoid, or am I being too cautious?

Thanks.
Just make sure you don't install or uninstall any of the secondary components/programs such as Wild Tangent, Viewpoint, etc. Otherwise, AIM is just as safe as any other IM program when used properly. Unfortunately there are AIM spammers and hackers using all of the various IM programs that are available.

-Kevin

racer2c
02-01-06, 10:46 PM
ASLP? :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
02-01-06, 10:51 PM
13/f/VA

nrc
02-01-06, 10:56 PM
I would insist that he set is privacy settings to hide his presence from anyone that he doesn't give specific access to. I would also make a rule (or maybe AIM's parental restrictions allow you to control it) that he's not allowed in public chat rooms without specific permission in advance.

Those two restrictions will take care of most problems of both the computer and human variety.

racer2c
02-01-06, 11:04 PM
13/f/VA

I feel dirty. :saywhat:

Robstar
02-01-06, 11:41 PM
zomgwtfbbq... roflcopter!!111111

TrueBrit
02-02-06, 10:26 AM
I think the bigger problem is making sure the kids know not to automatically trust the websites that their friends send them links to....my precious little daughter got a virus from one of her precious little friends and I spent three precious little days flushing out her precious little computer.... :flame:

You need to make sure that the kids know who they are talking to, and more importantly who is talking to them...

As far as MySpace is concerned I have my daughter show me her profile weekly, to make sure that she doesn't divulge anything she shouldn't....some of her 'friends' are teenage wannabe sl*ts.....you should see some of the stuff they have in their profiles... :eek:

Kids have no concept of just how public the internet is..... :saywhat:

Ankf00
02-02-06, 10:33 AM
"Myspace: A Place for Sluts"

Andrew Longman
02-02-06, 11:17 AM
I would insist that he set is privacy settings to hide his presence from anyone that he doesn't give specific access to. I would also make a rule (or maybe AIM's parental restrictions allow you to control it) that he's not allowed in public chat rooms without specific permission in advance.

Those two restrictions will take care of most problems of both the computer and human variety.

I have a friend who is a NJ State Trooper detective serving in the cybersex crime unit. He can tell you stories that will scare you to death about the lengths monsters will go to to penetrate your kid's circle of friends.

His advice is that no kid should have IM at all. And if you let them do have it, you must very closely monitor who they are talking with. The greatest challenge is the fact that you might know what your kid is doing, but his friends' parents are likely to far more laxed. It is through those kids that introductions are made.

Another piece of advice is kids should not have PC in their bedroom. It should be in the kitchen or open space where you can see what they are doing.

Take it as you like, and surely he may be tainted by pulling 14 year old girls (and boys) out of hotel rooms, posing as a kid on the internet and seeing what he has found on people's PCs, but he has seen what he's seen.

Sean O'Gorman
02-02-06, 11:44 AM
"Myspace: A Place for Sluts"

:laugh:

You should see some of that gets posted on Myspace by the underage daughter of one of PKV's owners...

0MG I luv F3rnadnd0!

racer2c
02-02-06, 11:47 AM
My 15 year old daughter is not allowed to IM, have a My Space site (or even visit her friends *which by the way, I am appalled at her friends My Space sites. It's like everyone of her friends is a paid prostitute, the pictures, the sexual innuendo, and all at the age of 14 and 15!*) and has highly supervised internet privileges.

Sounds harsh doesn't it? Well, it's not due to me being an evil dictator, actually I bought her a laptop when she turned 13. After two weeks with IM she had a list of 'buddies' in the 150 range. When asked who they all were she said she knew who about ten of them actually were. We cut the IM off and she turned to emailing, then found My Space and after I saw that I said that's it, enough's enough. She was totally addicted to the IM/email thing. Now that it's gone she doesn't miss it at all and uses her time much more productively i.e. practices her cello, studies, voluntarily walks the dog etc.

I know the original poster was more concerned about viruses et al but the IM is something that, in the case of my daughter, is much better left until they are older due to the unknowns. Some of her friends My Space sites are so bad, I was tempted to notify their parents. My wife said "it's none of your business, don't get involved". It bugs me thinking bout it.

Methanolandbrats
02-02-06, 12:04 PM
My kids have computers in their bedrooms. They have to have them, they spend an hour or two a day doing homework on them. As far as IM goes, their buddy list is only a couple dozen people long.....the same people they hang out with and call on the phone. They are not allowed to have a MySpace page or post any private information online. They have known since they were in pre-school that you never use your address, real name, phone number, etc.....online. That is an extension of the same rules that apply to strangers calling or approaching them in person. Those safety rules were taught in grade school. As with anything else, it comes down to teaching and parental supervision.

TKGAngel
02-02-06, 01:18 PM
As far as MySpace is concerned I have my daughter show me her profile weekly, to make sure that she doesn't divulge anything she shouldn't....some of her 'friends' are teenage wannabe sl*ts.....you should see some of the stuff they have in their profiles... :eek:

I know my high school is jokingly referred to as Holy W%^#s, but the girls that go there and have myspace profiles really define the name. What scares me is that I'm 24 and getting friend invites from 40 year old men (and my page is so bland it hurts), so I almost wonder what those wannabees are getting.

Andrew Longman
02-02-06, 01:27 PM
My kids have computers in their bedrooms. They have to have them, they spend an hour or two a day doing homework on them. As far as IM goes, their buddy list is only a couple dozen people long.....the same people they hang out with and call on the phone. They are not allowed to have a MySpace page or post any private information online. They have known since they were in pre-school that you never use your address, real name, phone number, etc.....online. That is an extension of the same rules that apply to strangers calling or approaching them in person. Those safety rules were taught in grade school. As with anything else, it comes down to teaching and parental supervision.

All sounds very reasonable and probably very safe, but you'd be surprised at how these creeps work.

They will pose as a kid in a chat room trolling for information. Some kid says "This sucks. I have spend 3 hours in a car this weekend with my parents going to Hershey." Bing he can draw a 3 hour drive circle around Hershey. Then the creep says his school has a lame mascot. Its a newt. What's yours? The kid says it is the knights. Bing a quick internet search shows all the schools with Knights as mascots within 3 hours of Hershey. Before long the guy has enough information to be standing outside your house without your kid ever giving up their name, phone #, email or address. But they will know enough to seem safe and friendly once they do "introduce" themselves to your kid in your front yard or on the playground.

These guys go at like day traders. They will be in countless chatrooms trolling and meticulously tracking information on literally hundreds of kids at a time until they have enough to make physical contact.

We all have to live our lives and let our kids have their independence. The risks we take are our personal choice. Unfortunately (or not), most of us are not so evil so as to imagine the evil that is actually out there.

Ankf00
02-02-06, 01:35 PM
:laugh:

You should see some of that gets posted on Myspace by the underage daughter of one of PKV's owners...

0MG I luv F3rnadnd0!

yea, cork filled me in... :laugh:

I wonder if any of the groupies picked up on the dry humor :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
02-02-06, 01:38 PM
All sounds very reasonable and probably very safe, but you'd be surprised at how these creeps work.

They will pose as a kid in a chat room trolling for information. Some kid says "This sucks. I have spend 3 hours in a car this weekend with my parents going to Hershey." Bing he can draw a 3 hour drive circle around Hershey. Then the creep says his school has a lame mascot. Its a newt. What's yours? The kid says it is the knights. Bing a quick internet search shows all the schools with Knights as mascots within 3 hours of Hershey. Before long the guy has enough information to be standing outside your house without your kid ever giving up their name, phone #, email or address. But they will know enough to seem safe and friendly once they do "introduce" themselves to your kid in your front yard or on the playground.

These guys go at like day traders. They will be in countless chatrooms trolling and meticulously tracking information on literally hundreds of kids at a time until they have enough to make physical contact.

We all have to live our lives and let our kids have their independence. The risks we take are our personal choice. Unfortunately (or not), most of us are not so evil so as to imagine the evil that is actually out there. Ya, I agree with all that, so far they don't talk to anyone they don't know (i.e. kid at school gives them their IM name). The problem is when some other kid gives my kids IM name out, so far they just put unknown incoming on the ignore list. No chatrooms ever is another rule. I know it's not bulletproof, but I don't know what else to do. They literally do homework over IM with friends instead of using the phone, so they have to have it. IMO, the MySpace sites are much more dangerous than IM messages to friends. No way in hell I would ever allow them to have one of those.

Andrew Longman
02-02-06, 02:09 PM
Ya, I agree with all that, so far they don't talk to anyone they don't know (i.e. kid at school gives them their IM name). The problem is when some other kid gives my kids IM name out, so far they just put unknown incoming on the ignore list. No chatrooms ever is another rule. I know it's not bulletproof, but I don't know what else to do. They literally do homework over IM with friends instead of using the phone, so they have to have it. IMO, the MySpace sites are much more dangerous than IM messages to friends. No way in hell I would ever allow them to have one of those.

The sharing of IM names by friends is also dangerous so its good you use the ignore list. Getting on IM list gets these guys closer to their holy grail because kids speak more openly about personal matters and its easier to figure out who people are and where they live.

BTW, you should not let your school put up names and pictures of students on their website because that is a great source of personal information that helps connect the dots.

Its a shame. These are things I never imagined I'd have to deal with as a parent. How many parents don't even know what IM is? I know a parent that could understand why their kid was constantly playing with their cell phone. Two years later she realized her kid was doing IM. She didn't even know IM existed.

But as always, most parents just do the best they can.

Dr. Corkski
02-02-06, 05:14 PM
Watch out for Marlon Brando look-alikes.